• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will be the next Game of Thrones? A list of candidates from the fantasy genre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Operating in the much-ridiculed milieu of heroic fantasy, Game of Thrones had the makings of an insta-flop when it arrived in 2011.

Adapted from George RR Martin's bodice-and-chainmail-ripping novels, the series featured portentous dialogue and a cast of largely unwashed characters disembowelling one another with broadswords. It was reasonable to expect it would suffer the ratings equivalent of the swift beheading administered to a miscreant by Ned Stark (Sean Bean) in the first episode.

Instead, Game of Thrones has become a phenomenon. It is American network HBO's most popular property ever, eclipsing The Sopranos in viewers. Parents are even naming their children after beloved characters: 30 years hence you may find yourself taking advice from a solicitor called Tyrion or having your blood tested by a doctor whose ID badge reads Khal Drogo.

With success has come the flattery of imitation. The BBC recently announced a new series based on Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom, an Anglo-Saxons versus Norsemen romp; meanwhile, the History Channel's Vikings has emulated GoT's blend of blood, beards and battle-axes.

But though TV producers have borrowed from the Game of Thrones aesthetic, they are still reluctant to follow HBO down the rabbit-hole of fantastical plots, into the rich, ridiculous world of swords and sorcery. Here are fantasy novels which, adroitly reinterpreted for television, could succeed on the scale of Game of Thrones.

Magician (Raymond E Feist)

Lusty and ludicrous, Feist's 1982 novel and its sequels rival Game of Thrones for violence and sex. The story opens in the coastal province of a cut-and-paste medieval kingdom where orphaned kitchen boy Pug develops a talent for conjuring. In the follow-up, Silverthorn, zombie assassins square off against our heroes in an inner-city slum showdown – a gory, murky sequence that would have slotted nicely into the last series of Game of Thrones.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever (Stephen R Donaldson)

The "Scandinavian noir" of high fantasy, the Covenant novels are glazed in existential mopery. Opening in Seventies America, anti-hero Thomas Covenant is a depressed father and husband lately diagnosed with leprosy. Abruptly summoned to a far-off fantasy realm, his first act is to sexually assault a 16-year-old girl. This is grim, gritty fare that would feel twice as smart with the real-world scenes transplanted to Northern Europe, and the stark script delivered instead by severe-looking Danes or Swedes.

The Dragonlance Chronicles (Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman)

On screen, Game of Thrones deals gingerly with the overtly fantastical aspects of the George RR Martin novels. There are witches and giants, but not so many that it starts to feel silly. At the other end of the spectrum we find the Dragonlance novels, heaving with gnomes, dwarves, Arthurian knights and dragons with exuberantly bonkers names such as Cyan Bloodbane. Fans of unexpurgated spectacle – such as those millions who flocked to the latest Transformers movie – would go wobbly-kneed for it.

The Sword of Shannara (Terry Brooks)

Fantasy's answer to Little House on the Prairie, Shannara is wholesome – almost to a fault. There is no nudity or torture; instead there are lots of wizards and warriors plus a villain going by the trying-slightly-too-hard name of Warlock Lord. Surely there is space for a family-friendly riff on Game of Thrones? With thrilling chases and hard-to-pronounce character names, it is easy to imagine Shannara winning a following among devotees of Westeros.

The Blade Itself (Joe Abercrombie)

Of all the writers on our list, Abercrombie is closest in spirit to George RR Martin. In glitteringly wry prose, he is astute at deploying the tropes of swords and sorcery. In place of rampaging wyverns and fireball-tossing mages, this Lancastrian author emphasises instead the muddy misery and ever-present violence of the real Middle Ages.

Malazan Book of the Fallen (Steven Erikson)

Television executives searching for a franchise with legs could do worse than this ten-volume saga, stuffed with dozens of major characters and a tangle of plot-lines. A multi-faceted tale of warring gods and clashing empires, Malazan Book of the Fallen is epic in a way Game of Thrones only occasionally manages to be – imagine a show where every episode is as over-the-top as the climatic Battle of Blackwater.

Perdido Street Station (China Miéville)

Twin Peaks meets Lord of the Rings (with shades of Fritz Lang's Metropolis): Miéville's retro-future "steam-punk" adventure is gorgeously imagined and would surely sparkle on screen.

A Wizard of Earthsea (Ursula K Le Guin)

A Sci-Fi Channel adaptation from 2004 plunged Le Guin's novels to depths of cheesiness exceeded only by Xena: Warrior Princess. Post-Game of Thrones, however, producers may feel they finally have permission to take Earthsea seriously, and a revisit may be timely. Best thought of as Harry Potter for Smiths fans, Earthsea chronicles the coming of age of a trainee wizard – but instead of goofing about on broomsticks, here classroom japes include summoning an inter-dimensional demon in a ritual that leaves our hero horrifically scarred.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (Tad Williams)

Tolkien for the Nirvana generation. Alongside the standard wicked overlord and made-up geography, this early Nineties trilogy poses deep questions about life, love and duty. Simon Snowlock is a kitchen boy in a castle reminiscent of House Stark's fortress at Winterfell in Game of Thrones. Stumbling on an ancient plot to plunge the land into darkness and tyranny, he is required, somewhat against his will, to become a hero and – just as painfully – a responsible adult.

The Silmarillion (JRR Tolkien)

Set centuries before Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, The Silmarillion was the great unfinished work of Tolkien's life (it received posthumous publication in 1977). The Professor's knotty faux-medieval prose can make for an arduous read – none the less the story is properly cracking, featuring giant spiders, dark lords, feckless mortals and endless climactic duels. With Peter Jackson's films confirming the public's endless appetite for all things Middle Earth, television could do worse than to take a closer look at this vivid mythological tapestry.

Quite an interesting and varied list. Earthsea certainly could do with a better adaptation. It's doubtful The Silmarillion will be adapted this century. I'd add Lucius Shepard's The Dragon Griaule and Michael Moorcock's tales of Elric Of Melnibone to the list.

Malazan would be interesting if done as an animated adaption IMO. Not a big fan of it but the action alone would be entertaining.

The Blade Itself is great.

Nairume

Banned
Shannara is already being developed into a TV series, for what it's worth. They are wisely skipping the first book, though.

The only correct answer. That book saga sure could use quality HBO treatment.

It already had a pretty HBO-esque treatment ten years ago.

geralt.jpg

Just don't watch the pilot movie.

Malazan please. None of the others have a Game of Thrones feel. Of the ones I've read on the list they are mostly traditional fantasy. I haven't read all of these though.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'd definitely consider The Blade Itself to be the best candidate for a TV adaptation, by far. The dialogue is great and ready-made for TV, the pacing and action would translate well, there aren't too many characters, and I don't think there would be a need for a crazy budget.

Perdido Street Station (and the other Bas-Lag books) would be amazing, but budgetary constraints alone would make them pretty much unfilmable. They'd work better as a series of RPGs.

Kettch

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is one of my favorite series, but I don't know how well it would go over on the screen. The beginning in particular starts out very slow.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Malazan please. None of the others have a Game of Thrones feel. Of the ones I've read on the list they are mostly traditional fantasy. I haven't read all of these though.
The Blade Itself is a lot closer to the GOT feel than any of the others. Not that a TV series would have to have that feel to succeed; I think the market would be ready for something different.

Malazan would probably suck as an adaptation, unless it was changed so much that it wouldn't be Malazan. It's probably the least budget-friendly of any of the listed candidates, and the dialogue, characters, plot complexity, and pacing would all have to be drastically changed to make a watchable TV show.

I don't think HBO will do another fantasy series right away. They are pretty good about doing different stuff.

What is missing from their lineup is Sci Fi. I'd love to see them do some awesome epic space opera.

The Dark Tower... some day. Maybe. Hopefully.

Please.

And unlike ASoIaF nobody will get mad when they change books 5-7.

Famassu

Umh, has the writer of this piece ever watched even a second of Game of Thrones or read more than the prologue of the first book? This is just blatantly false:

Operating in the much-ridiculed milieu of heroic fantasy, Game of Thrones had the makings of an insta-flop when it arrived in 2011.

The reason why both ASOIAF & GOT have gotten such a great response from readers & tv viewers alike is because it's NOT operating in the "much-ridiculed milieu of heroic fantasy". Even the very few tropes the franchises has are often turned upside down and bastardized sideways.

ISOM

There wont be. Lotr and Harry Potter imitators all failed.

Out of the list maybe Malazan.

This thread isn't about Lotr or Harry Potter it's about Game of Thrones which has it's own popularity and influence, hence this thread.

bengraven

Assassin's Apprentice would make a great GOT style show, though the fantasy is really low and there are not many battles.

The court intrigue and twists and triumphs and sadness would work well though.

Sober

I've just started the second season of Legend of the Seeker but maybe they should bring it back. I don't think the actors are doing anything at the moment.

terrible

Banned
I'd kind of like to see a Prince of Nothing/Aspect-Emperor series but at the same time I can't imagine most people would find it interesting so it would never be anywhere near as successful as GOT.

charsace

I would love to see the Deeds of Paksenarrion and the other related books turned into show.

Joel Shepherd's A Trial of Blood and Steel series would also be a great choice.

Meier

Title is important. Whatever it is, it can't have something like "Dragonrider" or "Shanarra" in the title. You don't want to come across as something for mouthbreathers, so it has to be very generic. Of those in the list, The Blade Itself has the best title to be successful with non-fans.

The Silmarillion is kind of a strange inclusion IMO as it'll probably be a film if anything and isn't quite at the same level of the others as it's from such an established universe and author.

Clegg

I can't even begin to imagine how you could afford to do Malazan justice.
You couldn't. If it was an adaption purely based on the travails of the Malazan armies then it could possibly work. The plots of Whiskeyjack and his Bridgeburners and the struggles of the Bonehunters would make for compelling viewing. But the entire series is based on warring gods, dragons, huge displays of magic and alien raptors with scythes for talons that there would never be a big enough budget to cover it all. You also need a very gifted show runner to treat the source material in a proper fashion and not have it turn into garbage.

I'd love an adaption of the Chain of Dogs if it was done properly. Iirc there's very little magic invioved in that sequence and it's mostly about a very human struggle of trying to save refugees from a genocide.

ryseing

Mistborn/Kingkiller Chronicles/Stormlight Archive would be my bets.

Mistborn in particular could do really well because of the female protagonist.

Larsa

Malazan would be an amazing disaster. There's no way you can do it justice in any way with the limits of television. I could potentially see some of the individual story arcs being cool, like the Chain of Dogs.
I would totally watch it though.

The Sword of Shannara (Terry Brooks)

Fantasy's answer to Little House on the Prairie, Shannara is wholesome – almost to a fault. There is no nudity or torture; instead there are lots of wizards and warriors plus a villain going by the trying-slightly-too-hard name of Warlock Lord. Surely there is space for a family-friendly riff on Game of Thrones? With thrilling chases and hard-to-pronounce character names, it is easy to imagine Shannara winning a following among devotees of Westeros.

I see no point in this. They already made the LOTR movies.

Wheel of Time > *

It would be impossible to do though, cost wise.

Thankfully.

The fighting and magic in Sanderson books would cost too much for tv. And I dont want them toned down or with horrible cg

VanWinkle

I'd love to say Stormlight Archive, but the world of Roshar is so different to ours that the budget would have to be massive to do it justice.

Still, would be amazing to see.

wildfire

Banned
Based on the descriptions I see "The Blade Itself" doing well on cable and "Sword of Shannara" on ABC/NBC/Fox/CBS.

"Perdido Street Station" could work if it was a mini-series only.

Allforce

I read the first book of that "Mistborn" series just recently and throughout I just kept wondering when an announcement for a TV series would be announced. Seems to hit all the right notes.

I never continued on past the first book for no real reason though. I mean I enjoyed it and the world it built, is it worth continuing the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom