• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would be in a modern Nintendo World Championship?

I bet they put in as little effort as possible and just string together all the Smash Brawl and Smash Wii U Game Masterpieces together and add a high score function to it.

As fun as the idea is, I don't see them announcing anything big, just two days before their big event where they'll announce stuff.

Likewise, I'm watching you OP. (=_=)

I bet they put in as little effort as possible and just string together all the Smash Brawl and Smash Wii U Game Masterpieces together and add a high score function to it.

image.php

Linkhero1

I can see it being along the lines of containing objectives like in NES Remix/Nintendoland but with Wii U games.

Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros 4
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

It would be a pretty cool way to announce a new Super Mario Brothers game (note the "new" is not capitalized). Super Mario World was called Super Mario Brothers 4 in Japan, right? So the big finale should be Super Mario Brothers 5.

I think it's super likely that they'll have some insane difficulty-style Mario Maker levels there, that could be fun. OP has some great picks too.

Regiruler

I like how no-one wants to argue his selections because they assume by default those are the ones nintendo is already using.

Anyways...
Shovel Knight - Gem Challenge
This was a mode used for iron man of gaming and could easily fill a similar role here. While it's not a nintendo property, it was seen previously in focus at one of the comic-cons last year (can't remember which).

Mario Kart 8 - Big Blue
I think Mario Kart 8 could work but I'd rather see BB instead of MW. Would be a race as opposed to a score attack, requiring no modifications.

Splatoon - ?
Given that this will be newly released, I would think they would want to capitalize on the hype for this in some fashion. Would take up the oddball slot that tetris filled.
Can someone explain to me why everyone is freaking out over OP? I feel like I'm completely missing a key piece of info here

Check his timestamp.

Robiin

Can someone explain to me why everyone is freaking out over OP? I feel like I'm completely missing a key piece of info here
He posted this well-thought out thread that obviously took a while to write. Ten minutes later, Nintendo announces a new Nintendo World Championship.

NolbertoS

I remember in thr 80's there was a Nintendo Championship event. Of course if you watched "The Wizard" you would know how it was laid out. Lasr weekend in theatres I saw the Egames Championship they're promoting in Las Vegas I think. I thought " Neato, Nintendo ahould bring back there championship event" and lo and behold, this happens :)

Chaos17

He posted the thread about 7 mintures before the reveal of the championship.
Either he is an insider or a wizard or come from the futur, lol.

Spiderduff

It's obvious one will be a Mario Maker level.

What if, humor me on this, they USE Mario Maker for the challenge levels. This shows off the versatility of the game while still maintaining it a competition.

EDIT: Oh thats what you meant. Haha. We are on the same level here I see.

Meffer

What if, humor me on this, they USE Mario Maker for the challenge levels. This shows off the versatility of the game while still maintaining it a competition.

EDIT: Oh thats what you meant. Haha. We are on the same level here I see.
Yeah of course, lol! It's brilliant actually. Smart move, Nintendo.

emb

So, what I'd actually like to see here:
Super Smash Bros 4 and Melee tournaments (I guess just singles because of time, 1 day event)
Pokemon VGC tournament

Those are perfectly suited to competition, and already have established competitive scenes that would be excited.

Splatoon 4v4 turf war would also be a perfect fit
FZero GX four player race would also be great.

SMB3 for Wizard nostalgia. The stage should be set up like in the movie, too.

I'd like to see a speedrun race, too. Super Metroid (plus any Metroid), Mario 64, Ocarina, DKC, SMB1 all popular games that would work well here.

Bonus points if they can get someone to try for the Donkey Kong record, lol.

Check his timestamp.

Look at the post time for his thread vs my thread.

This post was made like 7 minutes before Nintendo announced the new World Championship

He posted this well-thought out thread that obviously took a while to write. Ten minutes later, Nintendo announces a new Nintendo World Championship.

He posted the thread about 7 mintures before the reveal of the championship.
Either he is an insider or a wizard or come from the futur, lol.

Ohh I see now. Thanks! Was really confused at first. :p

Will the winners or those participating get a copy of the disc they are using for the championships?

They're going to need some top security guarding those discs considering how much competition carts are going for now.

Meffer

I can also see them announcing new characters from the Smash Ballot this E3 as well. Don't give your hopes up though.

Red Devil

Excuse me, this might've been mentioned somewhere but I might've missed it, do we know for certain that there'll be modern games on this? I mean, perhaps we could get older games on it, or new mixed with old.

OP, the jig is up. We know that Nintendo frowns on their employees using personal social media/message boards and we have the power to blow your cover to your bosses at NoA. We'll agree to protect your identity if you tell us:

• What is this NX "new concept" exactly?
  • Official name of Zelda Wii U, how it fits in the timeline, and how it uses the GamePad
  • Bootleg footage of the completed, but never released Metroid Dread that we know you play all day at The Treehouse
  • How do you get into Fado's house?
  • Trailers for Star Tropics U, Ice Climbers 3DS, and Paper Mario 3: Wart's Revenge
You have until noon tomorrow, don't push your luck.

Top Bottom