• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would happen to Nintendo if the NX flops like Wii U?

AdanVC

Nothing. They will slowly move to the next console like if nothing happened. Even if that means a whole year of game droughts until the new machine arrives just like it's happening this year with Wii U. Plus if NX fails, by that time they will have other income projects active such as the theme parks, mobile games and movies so they will continue making money and continue developing new hardware. IDK but I have a good feeling about NX and the hype that has already been created for Zelda BotW will help tremendously to make a succesful launch for NX.

diffusionx

Gold Member

The DS and Wii sold their excess of a usual console generation to the 'blue ocean' of people that didn't consume entertainment on PC's or traditional videogame consoles.
A DS and Brain Training was the perfect mom/dad/grandparent gift and so too was the novelty of Wii Sports. It was old underutilised tech that other companies hadn't used or focussed on before. Cheap tech to people that didn't own tech. Fast forward to now, and everyone has tech spilling out of their pockets: smartphones, e-readers, tablets, fitbands. There is no 'unused tech', its ALL being used. There's no special underground and overlooked spin on screen into eyes entertainment. The blue ocean of "people that don't consume entertainment on tech" has ceased to exist. It is no longer there. To impress them, you have to bring cutting edge technology and swallow costs to build platforms.

That's the thing about these sorts of successes, they are unheard of until the're not. Nobody really predicted the success of the DS and Wii, nobody thought you'd have 70 year olds buying videogame consoles for themselves, etc. Brain Training wasn't a launch DS game. VR is a real thing now but until that Oculus Rift Kickstarter I never would have guessed it was coming back. Etc. etc.

Nintendo can't do the same thing they did with Wii but they certainly are capable of thinking differently from the norm. We don't know what the NX is going to look like, but I do think Nintendo needs to do more than put out a plastic box of chips and crank out some cool games. They need to do something that makes people who do play Puzzles And Dragons or Clash of Clans or whatever that they should buy into this ecosystem. I don't necessarily think that is cutting edge technology, although I don't know what it is. If I did I'd probably be working at Nintendo. =P

Pokemaniac

To people that keep pointing towards the Wii and DS' successes as a portent of Nintendo turning it around again, please understand the global technology environment of 2017 is so different to 2006 that comparisons are almost completely irrelevant:

The DS and Wii sold their excess of a usual console generation to the 'blue ocean' of people that didn't consume entertainment on PC's or traditional videogame consoles.
A DS and Brain Training was the perfect mom/dad/grandparent gift and so too was the novelty of Wii Sports. It was old underutilised tech that other companies hadn't used or focussed on before. Cheap tech to people that didn't own tech. Fast forward to now, and everyone has tech spilling out of their pockets: smartphones, e-readers, tablets, fitbands. There is no 'unused tech', its ALL being used. There's no special underground and overlooked spin on screen into eyes entertainment. The blue ocean of "people that don't consume entertainment on tech" has ceased to exist. It is no longer there. To impress them, you have to bring cutting edge technology and swallow costs to build platforms.

There quite simply isn't some mythical consumer set waiting in the wings to dive into videogames through their first use of tech; that person plays mobile games.

At most, Nintendo can shore up their faithful consumers and prime them to purchase more first party software than ever before and have them consume media at a higher rate. The way to do this is to make sure both the handheld and home unit play the exact same games and interact with each other seamlessly; aka The Hybrid. There can't be home console exclusive games because then you're already competing with yourself in the already dwindling base you've got. Everything has to be playable on that handheld because thats where your money is.

For this to be true, Zelda: Breath Of The Wild will have to be released on NX Home and NX Handheld. At this point then, the hybrid has become reality. If there are games that do not come to the handheld but instead come to the home console exclusively, you cannot lump them all together as an install base as then the handhelds install base becomes the 'opportunity cost' on each and every exclusive game.

Forcing full compatibility across handheld and console is just asking for trouble and a good way to alienate 3rd parties. There's no way they'd actually do it. An actual hybrid machine, with all its faults, would still be far preferable to the scenario where they are separate but everything is required to be on both.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Forcing full compatibility across handheld and console is just asking for trouble and a good way to alienate 3rd parties. There's no way they'd actually do it. An actual hybrid machine, with all its faults, would still be far preferable to the scenario where they are separate but everything is required to be on both.
That said, I'd still take a "hybrid" over this. A 100% shared library would be awful and pointless. None of the games would look better on console than handheld besides resolution and it still wouldn't get third-party support, so what would even be the point of the console? Might as well just go hybrid at that point. I think a 100% shared library causes more self-competition on the hardware side, not less. If there are exclusive games, there's more incentive to buy both. If there aren't, there's no incentive. Then the console doesn't sell any better than Wii U (I can't see such a console selling even half as much as Wii U unless it's like $80), making it a waste of money so they either go 100% handheld or third-party. In other words, either route means the end of the console business for Nintendo.

The WiiU was the end of home console Nintendo, its just up to them if they interpret that correctly. Sony isn't gonna make another Vita because the numbers aren't there, and those numbers are damn similar to the WiiU. "Why would we make a Vita game instead of a PS4 one?"

So yes, I am essentially saying there should be no home console because that fight is definitively over. In the Hybrid situation, theres basically a Nvidia Shield filled with so many batteries people actually say "ooh its a bit heavy innit" and a HDMI streaming dongle. Theres very little difference between tablet graphics now and what people perceive as 'good enough' for Nintendo games. People posting Z:BotW in 'beautiful screenshots' threads is proof enough of that.

They need to do something that makes people who do play Puzzles And Dragons or Clash of Clans or whatever that they should buy into this ecosystem. I don't necessarily think that is cutting edge technology, although I don't know what it is. If I did I'd probably be working at Nintendo. =P

That person already owns a smartphone or tablet and will continue to do so until they die. They are all the way bought in to ecosystems through iPads, Kindles or android tablets. The "good enough" graphics and text experiences are already going to be available on those devices. Nintendo can't compete in the smartphone or tablet space, so its gameover. That audience escaped and they aren't coming back. VR/AR would MAYBE be the only chance to get them back in say 5-10 years when costs are massively down, but once again, everyone else is already in that space, INCLUDING mobile.

Thats basically the point of my whole post. What worked in 2006 will not be an opening again because screens are everywhere and entertainment tech is no longer ruled by videogame manufacturers and PC's.

Instro

Think about the power that Wiiu uses to function. Now remove the parts you don't need in a portable device and the use of better and optimized tech for 2015.

Do you think you won't have a comparable machine to Wiiu but portable? And besides you don't need 1080p to have good results there.

I don't know why the people are against this possibility of a hybrid machine

I'm not saying that NX is this. I'm only saying that it is a technical possibility in 2016. But obviously you won't have ps4/one power

I actually have nothing against the idea, I just don't think it's feasible to create a device that adequately serves both markets, without pricing it outside of its primary handheld market. To say that the device doesn't need to render at 1080p, yet to also expect it to serve as a home console device is at odds with what that segment of the market expects. That doesn't seem like a worthwhile hybrid device to me.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I think if they went shared library they'd just make it so the console can upscale all the portable games, and not the other way around.

That way people in the west that want to play Pokemon, Monster Hunter etc. but hate portables can still be part of that market.

I doubt we'd see the reverse with the console games being required to work on both as tht's a lot more development work. At most we'll see Nintendo do it with some of their own games (ala Smash 3DS and Wii U).

dcx4610

I'm not worried that the NX won't be as powerful as the Neo/Scorpio, I'm worried it won't even be as powerful as the Xbox One. Even more worrisome, it may not be x86 based which will be the deathknell.

If it's x86, they at least might get multiplats. If it's ARM or PPC, it will be DOA.

MuchoMalo

Banned
The WiiU was the end of home console Nintendo, its just up to them if they interpret that correctly. Sony isn't gonna make another Vita because the numbers aren't there, and those numbers are damn similar to the WiiU. "Why would we make a Vita game instead of a PS4 one?"

So yes, I am essentially saying there should be no home console because that fight is definitively over. In the Hybrid situation, theres basically a Nvidia Shield filled with so many batteries people actually say "ooh its a bit heavy innit" and a HDMI streaming dongle. Theres very little difference between tablet graphics now and what people perceive as 'good enough' for Nintendo games. People posting Z:BotW in 'beautiful screenshots' threads is proof enough of that.

I disagree, but fair enough. Also, they wouldn't need crazy weight or batteries like the Shield handheld. Tech has advanced a lot since then.

I'm not worried that the NX won't be as powerful as the Neo/Scorpio, I'm worried it won't even be as powerful as the Xbox One. Even more worrisome, it may not be x86 based which will be the deathknell.

If it's x86, they at least might get multiplats. If it's ARM or PPC, it will be DOA.

ARM wouldn't get in the way of multiplats being able to run on it. Most engines support ARM fully. It just needs to be fast enough.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They're not going third party if that's where you were going to.

They already are third party.

If the NX fails I think we'll see mobile and toys. PC would be nice. Just looking at the tremendous excitement regarding the next Zelda, it's apparent that unique controller gimmicks aren't needed. It's all about the game.

All it seems investors want is Nintendo to go more third party and splash out those mobile games.

It seems the more mobile announced, the better for Nintendo stock.

If Nintendo dropped Nx and said third party only their stock would double lol

No, investors wanted Nintendo to start making mobile games - and specifically mobile games - because there's a fuckton of money in it. Not so much in releasing grand, expensive games on a PlayStation.

If Nintendo were to stop selling hardware, expect them to go all in on mobile development with their top character IP, and further expand into non-gaming areas. It'll be a shame for fans of Xeno, Metroid, and many other first- and third-party IP that Nintendo otherwise might have come back to.

lherre

Accurate
I actually have nothing against the idea, I just don't think it's feasible to create a device that adequately serves both markets, without pricing it outside of its primary handheld market. To say that the device doesn't need to render at 1080p, yet to also expect it to serve as a home console device is at odds with what that segment of the market expects. That doesn't seem like a worthwhile hybrid device to me.

I mean the screen of the device don't need to be 1080p, when "plugged" you have more power available to show for example 1080p resolution and other things on the tv.

It is fun to guess

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It'll be a shame for fans of Xeno, Metroid, and many other first- and third-party IP that Nintendo otherwise might have come back to.

I'd imagine if that doomsday scenario happened they'd sell off some of their IP that didn't lend themselves as well to mobile, toys etc. Especially those tied to development teams like Monolith and Rare as they could probably sell those whole units off (like MS buying Rare etc.).

Toxi

Banned

I449kZi.png

Pokemaniac

I think if they went shared library they'd just make it so the console can upscale all the portable games, and not the other way around.

That way people in the west that want to play Pokemon, Monster Hunter etc. but hate portables can still be part of that market.

I doubt we'd see the reverse with the console games being required to work on both as tht's a lot more development work. At most we'll see Nintendo do it with some of their own games (ala Smash 3DS and Wii U).

I'm thinking that it's more likely that games will be "hybrid" by default unless they have something tying them to a certain form-factor (power, control scheme, etc.).

Instro

I mean the screen of the device don't need to be 1080p, when "plugged" you have more power available to show for example 1080p resolution and other things on the tv.

It is fun to guess

Oh I see, so you mean when in "handheld mode" it applies only enough power to drive a 720p/540p screen, but when plugged into the wall or dock or whatever it unlocks the full power to drive higher resolution. I could see that being a possibility. Use something like the X1, maybe running at half speed during handheld operation, and full speed for console operation. Definitely would need to be $199 or less though.

Incorrect on x86. Most engines natively support ARM, and the vast majority of third party games utilize such engines.

As for the power, I don't understand why so many people are all of a sudden thinking that? The most trustworthy piece of information we have is that the NX CPU is noticeably more powerful than that of XB1 or PS4... where is all this sub XB1 gloom coming from?

MuchoMalo

Banned
Oh I see, so you mean when in "handheld mode" it applies only enough power to drive a 720p/540p screen, but when plugged into the wall or dock or whatever it unlocks the full power to drive higher resolution. I could see that being a possibility. Use something like the X1, maybe running at half speed during handheld operation, and full speed for console operation. Definitely would need to be $199 or less though.

That's sorta possible, but some games would look (other than being 1080p) or run worse than Wii U games.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Incorrect on x86. Most engines natively support ARM, and the vast majority of third party games utilize such engines.

As for the power, I don't understand why so many people are all of a sudden thinking that? The most trustworthy piece of information we have is that the NX CPU is noticeably more powerful than that of XB1 or PS4... where is all this sub XB1 gloom coming from?

Emily Rogers. It's still the most logical way to read what she said.

Edit: double post because I'm dumb

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I don't expect the power to be any more than PS4/XB1, but that doesn't mean Emily Rogers should be taken at her word. She doesn't have the greatest track record.

She went out of her way to emphasize that those comparisons were based on raw power rather than real world performance. If we also adopt the Nvidia rumor in addition to the Emily Rogers rumor then that muddies the comparisons.

I still believe LCGeek's leak is the most trustworthy because it's not super vague and it comes from someone who has had access to such private information in the past. A >>>XB1/PS4 CPU wouldn't make all that much sense without a similarly powered GPU.

Edit:

I asked this years ago when it was announced, they never had a chance at getting in this market by leapfrogging Reebok, Nike, Apple, Google, etc.... companies who can track your progress and your locations with pinpoint accuracy and actually know how to build websites and social forums.

it was a terrible idea probably brought on by the success of some Wii Fit games...

As far as I know their first (and only, so far) QOL product was a nightstand based sleep monitor which had some game-y functions. That type of thing seems fairly unique still, as far as I'm aware.

That being said it's been stated that QOL is on hold indefinitely, so likely dead.

joecanada

What ever happened to the QoL products that were supposed to diversify Nintendo in case their game business started dying?

I asked this years ago when it was announced, they never had a chance at getting in this market by leapfrogging Reebok, Nike, Apple, Google, etc.... companies who can track your progress and your locations with pinpoint accuracy and actually know how to build websites and social forums.

it was a terrible idea probably brought on by the success of some Wii Fit games...

Vinland

Banned
I disagree. I think the Wii is more than "lightning in a bottle". That's disingenuous and implies it was sheer luck. Nintendo can have a successful device and it's illogical to just assume otherwise. Declines 15+ years ago are irrelevant within the context of the here and now

Then you are a fool on a fools errand. Acknowledging it was a anomaly doesn't detract from it being a fantastic device. It is simply acknowledging statistical evidence.

dcx4610

Reggie said they aren't trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft in harware with the NX. Ubisoft said that the NX will be going after the original Wii market and a recent developer hinted it may not even be powerful enough to run XBO games.

If Nintendo decides to go low power again, it better have an incredible gimmick or be under $200.

They'll try again and make another console, however another Wii-U like flopped would not be good for Nintendo's continuing decline in perception.

Was that the same article that also stated that it was also like comparing apples to oranges since the architecture is not the same?

Whatever it is now (and assuming that Emily's information is legit), the final hardware would likely be considered to be "in range" of the PS4/XBO.

Az987

all good things
So you're telling me in 4 years time investors lost 85% of their investment (presumably because the Wii-U) and you think another 85% loss will be fine for the company and the the investors will continue to throw their money at Nintendo if they just explain themselves again because Nintendo?

And yeah, the shareholders did force Nintendo to change how they operate. Why do you think they went mobile?

There's no way it's going to drop another 85% if the NX is a bust.

It only dropped 85% because they went from the Wii to the Wii U

If they go from the Wii U to the NX and the NX is basically the Wii U 2 it'll drop down to it's Wii U low.

And like I said they are in a transition period to add completely new forms of income. They didn't have that before.

And adding mobile games to their line up is hardly the same as completely stopping to make hardware. Yes, you're right. Shareholders did play a big role in that but it didn't completely change what Nintendo does. Eliminating consoles would completely change the company.

What don't people get that even if Nintendo is hardly making anything on their hardware they still get to keep everything from the software sales and a cut from third parties? Sharing 20% of game sales profits with Microsoft and Sony and not having their own digital platform where they don't have to pay retailers would take a huge chunk of those potential profits.

They would never reach their former glory as a third party publisher. I don't think share holders would like that either.

Edit: Some of you are acting like Nintendo has no idea what they're doing and learned nothing from the Wii U. Wrong. Because of the Wii U they have completely restructured their company. This year they announced they are making a transition to a Company with Audit and Supervisory Committee and introduce an Executive Officer System. Last year they restructured quite a few of their divisions and they are getting way more aggresive with their IPs OUTSIDE of gaming. They cannot compete with Microsoft and Sony currently when 95% of their revenue is from games and they know it. They are in a TRANSISTION PERIOD to a more diverse company.

EVH

Well, according to Ubisoft and the CD Projekt guys, they are again after the casuals and the devs don't really care. Not only that but Reggie implied the machine will be not about power, which sounds like it will release outdated as the WiiU did.

So I think we are going to see what will happen to Nintendo.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That person already owns a smartphone or tablet and will continue to do so until they die. They are all the way bought in to ecosystems through iPads, Kindles or android tablets. The "good enough" graphics and text experiences are already going to be available on those devices. Nintendo can't compete in the smartphone or tablet space, so its gameover. That audience escaped and they aren't coming back. VR/AR would MAYBE be the only chance to get them back in say 5-10 years when costs are massively down, but once again, everyone else is already in that space, INCLUDING mobile.

Thats basically the point of my whole post. What worked in 2006 will not be an opening again because screens are everywhere and entertainment tech is no longer ruled by videogame manufacturers and PC's.

Did you even read what I wrote? I said Nintendo needs to make a product not to go after people as they were in 06 but as they are in 16. This should be obvious. Nintendo's not dumb, they know there's not an untapped vein of grandmas out there.

I don't think this is impossible. It's hard but that's why these guys get paid the big bucks. This is where the Steve Jobs comment about customers not knowing what they want comes in. The only advancement you can think of is VR but that's just because it's in front of us now. With the exception of the Nintendo ON video it wasn't really something regular gamers were thinking of until Oculus Rift told us what they were doing.

It's tough to think outside the box but that's what they have to do and that's what they seem to be doing. None of us know what the NX is about.

Reggie said they aren't trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft in harware with the NX. Ubisoft said that the NX will be going after the original Wii market and a recent developer hinted it may not even be powerful enough to run XBO games.

If Nintendo decides to go low power again, it better have an incredible gimmick or be under $200.

Reggie said that directly in response to a question about Scorpio, so to take that statement as indicative of the NX not reaching PS4 level specs is a ridiculous leap in logic.

Ubisoft also said they are feeling confident that the NX will capture the Wii market. Does that mean anything at all? Also why does recapturing the Wii market not mean similar to 4 year old specs?

These are very strange leaps in logic that run directly counter to the most trustworthy and straightforward leak that we currently have.

MAtgS

That said, I'd still take a "hybrid" over this. A 100% shared library would be awful and pointless. None of the games would look better on console than handheld besides resolution and it still wouldn't get third-party support, so what would even be the point of the console? Might as well just go hybrid at that point. I think a 100% shared library causes more self-competition on the hardware side, not less. If there are exclusive games, there's more incentive to buy both. If there aren't, there's no incentive. Then the console doesn't sell any better than Wii U (I can't see such a console selling even half as much as Wii U unless it's like $80), making it a waste of money so they either go 100% handheld or third-party. In other words, either route means the end of the console business for Nintendo.

NX games could have different graphics settings ala PC games: NX handheld would be the low settings & NX console is the high setting. If anything the hybrid route will result in worse looking games on tv because now the hardware can only be as good as what can be done on a portable.

Kikorin

I started using internet and forums that I was a kid, was about 2002 I think. I remember that was first time I heard Nintendo was doomed and until today, except for the Wii era, it is still doomed. So I think if NX fails, they'll be doomed for another gen, until the next hardware.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Did you even read what I wrote? I said Nintendo needs to make a product not to go after people as they were in 06 but as they are in 16. This should be obvious. Nintendo's not dumb, they know there's not an untapped vein of grandmas out there.

I don't think this is impossible. It's hard but that's why these guys get paid the big bucks. This is where the Steve Jobs comment about customers not knowing what they want comes in. The only advancement you can think of is VR but that's just because it's in front of us now. With the exception of the Nintendo ON video it wasn't really something regular gamers were thinking of until Oculus Rift told us what they were doing.

It's tough to think outside the box but that's what they have to do and that's what they seem to be doing. None of us know what the NX is about.

Sometimes you just have to accept the Loch Ness Monster isn't real and wasn't waiting at the bottom all along.

What I explained in great detail before is that Nintendo weren't magicians. The blue ocean existed back in 2006 to be tapped into and they did so. That doesn't exist anymore, there are only red oceans and Nintendo can't beat any of them with specs or breakthrough tech.

'Maybe a miracle!!' is not a sound stance to take in business.

That said, I'd still take a "hybrid" over this. A 100% shared library would be awful and pointless. None of the games would look better on console than handheld besides resolution and it still wouldn't get third-party support, so what would even be the point of the console? Might as well just go hybrid at that point. I think a 100% shared library causes more self-competition on the hardware side, not less.

"Self-competition" doesn't matter. Apple makes both the iPhone and the iPad. They don't care whether you buy apps to use on a handheld device or on a larger screen.

The console version could possibly upscale images, but more importantly, you'll play on your big screen, with a controller, potentially with local multiplayer, and more storage. That's the selling point.

If there are exclusive games, there's more incentive to buy both. If there aren't, there's no incentive. Then the console doesn't sell any better than Wii U (I can't see such a console selling even half as much as Wii U unless it's like $80), making it a waste of money so they either go 100% handheld or third-party. In other words, either route means the end of the console business for Nintendo.

It doesn't matter if you buy both or not. Consoles are already "a waste of money." For the longest time, specifically in MS and Sony's business models, consoles were sold at a loss just to get you to buy the software.

Your imaginary figure of $80 is ridiculous. A console that plays all of Nintendo's new games, including Zelda, is not going to be $80. If you don't have the handheld, it will provide all new experiences. And if you do, then don't buy the console. It doesn't matter. Hardware isn't where Nintendo makes its money.

Reggie said that directly in response to a question about Scorpio, so to take that statement as indicative of the NX not reaching PS4 level specs is a ridiculous leap in logic.

Ubisoft also said they are feeling confident that the NX will capture the Wii market. Does that mean anything at all? Also why does recapturing the Wii market not mean similar to 4 year old specs?

These are very strange leaps in logic that run directly counter to the most trustworthy and straightforward leak that we currently have.

One thing that can easily be deduced from Ubisoft's comment - the console is unlikely to cost more than $250. The Wii market isn't going to buy an overly expensive overpowered console. Not when the mobile phones and tablets they already own can already play games, usually for free.

One thing that can easily be deduced from Ubisoft's comment - the console is unlikely to cost more than $250. The Wii market isn't going to buy an overly expensive overpowered console. Not when the mobile phones and tablets they already own can already play games, usually for free.

That is something I completely agree with!

And a $250 console in 2017 can be on the same level as a $400 console in 2013 for sure, depending on whatever hook they have this time. If it's head/face tracking or TV based holograms then there's no expensive components required, other than perhaps a camera or position sensors, and then the majority of the console BoM can be focused on its specifications.

So you're telling me in 4 years time investors lost 85% of their investment (presumably because the Wii-U) and you think another 85% loss will be fine for the company and the the investors will continue to throw their money at Nintendo if they just explain themselves again because Nintendo?

And yeah, the shareholders did force Nintendo to change how they operate. Why do you think they went mobile?

Wii U and 3DS sold a fraction of what Wii and DS sold, which resulted in the loss. Do you expect the NX to sell a fraction of what Wii U did? If so, we are talking about only selling 1-2 million NX consoles lifetime world wide. I can't imagine that's the case.

Also, Nintendo has taken steps to diversify to bring in new revenue sources. IP Licensing, mobile (Smartphone) games, Amiibo, etc... Even if NX is a failure on the level of Wii U they wouldn't lose near the same amount of the stock price.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Probably people reading into Reggie's comment about Nintendo not caring much about specs or chasing the red ocean etc.

"Self-competition" doesn't matter. Apple makes both the iPhone and the iPad. They don't care whether you buy apps to use on a handheld device or on a larger screen.

Very much agree with this. The money is in software, not hardware. Even when sold for profit, the margins are much thinner on gaming hardware than games. Nintendo needs to sell as many games as they can. They care much less whether people are buying them for the portable or the console as long as they are buying them. Unlike now where a lot of folks only own one or the other and thus can't buy a large portion of their software lineup.

Sega wasn't Nintendo, that's why the stopped manufacturing consoles 15 years ago.

Yep. Sega's biggest problem is the types of games they excelled at--arcade type games, side scrolling beat 'em ups, fighting games, JRPGs just dwindled in popularity and/or got overshadowed by competition that was more popular.

While Nintendo's games have failed to keep touch with the mainstream market as well, there's still a bigger base for Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros et al. than there is/was for Streets of Rage, Virtua Fighter, Phantasy Star, et al.

Probably people reading into Reggie's comment about Nintendo not caring much about specs or chasing the red ocean etc.

Very much agree with this. The money is in software, not hardware. Even when sold for profit, the margins are much thinner on gaming hardware than games. Nintendo needs to sell as many games as they can. They care much less whether people are buying them for the portable or the console as long as they are buying them. Unlike now where a lot of folks only own one or the other and thus can't buy a large portion of their software lineup.

As usual, ignoring the context of a quote drives people to the wrong conclusions. Again, he was saying this in reference specifically to a question about Scorpio (not directed at you, just needs to be said again).

Your second point is very true regarding the shared library, though I have a feeling it won't pan out as we hope it might. We'll see though.

If the NX fails, Nintendo will likely stay the course. They'll keep blindly making some of the world's best games on the world's worst hardware, longtime fans will cry, Kyoto will shrug, upgrade the hardware by another 5 percent, and invent a new controller for the next go-round. It's just how they roll.

They don't want to compete in the 'red ocean' of the premium console space? It's red because feeding is happening, guys.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sometimes you just have to accept the Loch Ness Monster isn't real and wasn't waiting at the bottom all along.

What I explained in great detail before is that Nintendo weren't magicians. The blue ocean existed back in 2006 to be tapped into and they did so. That doesn't exist anymore, there are only red oceans and Nintendo can't beat any of them with specs or breakthrough tech.

'Maybe a miracle!!' is not a sound stance to take in business.

Hindsight is 20/20. After Wii people were like, "omg of course there was that market." Before it, nobody really thought that. I dug this up: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Analyst_predictions

People saying Sony/MS would gobble up 80-90 percent of the market with Nintendo getting the scraps.

There are a lot of examples like this. It's not a miracle. It's just business. FFS Oculus Rift turned into a $2B+ company by selling something that nobody else was going after. You mention the iPad like of course it's this thing everyone has but when Apple unveiled it, people mostly laughed at it. Nobody in 2009 (iPad came out in 2010) was like, "Apple will make a killing if they release a 10" tablet running iPhone OS."

Top Bottom