• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you want in a N64 Classic Mini Console?

GlamFM

Banned
Thread made me realize that the N64 while having some of the greatest games did not have a lot of them.

Half the games on this list are mediocre at best.

I can see that if you're thinking of classic Disney licensed games... It doesn't seem like re-releasing NES Rescue Rangers or SNES Goof Troop is likely.

Everything with the Lucas catalog says otherwise though.

The fact that we have Grim Fandango HD, Day of the Tentacle HD and the Super Star Wars Trilogy on PS4 shows that someone at Lucas/Disney is unusually cooperative about legacy content.

Let's remember that Microsoft just published a special version of Minecraft on Wii U, with Mario-centric content. MS and Nintendo just worked closely together.

The hard divisions between console holders aren't necessarily as strong as people think... If the right regime is in charge, they'll reach across the aisle to make some money and cross promote each others' brands.

I imagine that when Notch made a deal with Microsoft, he stipulated that Minecraft can still be released on other systems. I'm guessing that Microsoft just own Mojang in so much that they get the lion's share of the profits. Otherwise it would be in their best interest to ensure Minecraft remains exclusive to their own platforms. I freely admit that this is speculation, however.

But let's also consider the fact that Banjo and Kazooie appeared as guest characters in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, but only the XBox 360 version. If Microsoft weren't going to let their characters appear as a guests in the Wii version of a multiplatform game, they certainly aren't going to hand over entire games that are a big selling point of Rare Replay.

But the most telling thing of all is simply that these games are absent from the Virtual Console. I don't know why people think they'd be any more likely to appear in a N64 mini.

n64mini_zpstlhtgare.jpg

Translucent!

without Rare (apart from DK64), most of which I have on X1 now thanks to Rare Replay, I'd go with

SM64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
DK64
Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Battle for Naboo (basically, more Rogue Squadron)
Duke Nukem 64
Duke Nukem Zero Hour (TPS)
Rayman 2 (one of the best platformers anywhere)
Doom 64
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 - 3

(not a driving game guy so no interest in Diddy Kong, Mario Kart 64 or whatever)

and just for shits and giggle
Starcraft 64

and of course Goldeneye which we may never see again properly.

MacTag

Banned
There would not be 30 N64 games included.

15 is a more realistic number.
If they kept the same price ratio as NES Classic mini versus Virtual Console it'd be 12 games. SNES would be 15 games though.

edit: Picking 12 N64 games I would say;

F-Zero X
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Paper Mario
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

MattyH

WCW vs. nWo: World Tour
WCW/nWo Revenge
WrestleMania 2000
No Mercy

and goldeneye for shits and giggles

D.Lo

It would need a CRT filter. Or run the games in 480p like the virtual console.

So many of the games would likely be inaccessible now too. The Rare games are so integral to the personality of the system. It would be like an NES without Mega Man and Castlevania.

Sticks that don't break after a week of use (sooner if your dumb ass decides to play Mario Party 1).
My launch N64 controllers still have perfect sticks.

But my brother lent a controller to a friend for a few days once and it came back with a limp dead stick.

The issue with N64 controller was just that it wasn't outright abuse proof.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So giving the recent announcement by Nintendo of the NES Classic Mini and the Nintendo Classic Mini series in the coming years a N64 Classic Mini may be in the card.
What do you think would be included or what would you like to be included in it in a hypothetical 30 games selection?

This is my list (a mix of Nintendo big franchises or games which have strong brandname behind them like Mortal Kombat or Rayman):

Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
Mario Kart 64
Wave Race 64
1080 Snowboarding
Pilotwings 64
Star Fox 64
F- Zero X
Kirby 64
Paper Mario
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Yoshi's Story
Super Smash Bros
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap
Excitebike 64
Donkey Kong 64
Banjo Kazooie or Diddy Kong Racing
Star Wars Episode I: Racer or Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Mortal Kombat 4
Ridge Racer 64
Resident Evil 2
Rayman 2
Doom 64
Bomberman 64
Harvest Moon 64
Castlevania Legacy of Darkness
Ogre Battle 64

---

Getting exactly 30 games was harder than many think because N64 had some worthwhile games from third-party and a few of them still have strong brandname.

Third-party games I would like but I think they are unlikely to make the cut:

Rocket Robot on Wheels (unlikely)
International Superstar Soccer 2000 (well americans...)
Mischief Makers (surprise me Nintendo, prove me wrong !!)
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (surprise me Nintendo, prove me wrong !!)
Shadow Man (unlikely)
Hybrid Heaven (totally impossible)
Sin & Punishment (I very doubt that Nintendo will include a game never released outside Japan on the original console for this kind of initiative)

I think as far as first-party games goes (sans games whose IPs are owned by Microsoft/Rare or Star Wars games owned by Disney) it is almost definitive.
Third-party games is a toss but iconic franchises like Resident Evil, Ridge Racer, Castlevania, Bomberman, Harvest Moon, Mortal Kombat, Doom, Rayman have a good chance to appear if publishers agree on the fees (and emulation isn't a problem).
Also I wonder if Nintendo 64 more western nature mean we will get more third-party games from western publisher and very little from japanese ones (more Turok etc. ?).

That seems like a good list. I think Rare games are obtainable, since MS is willing to work with Nintendo, and maybe work with WB Games to get some old Midway/Atari games in there, since Midway/Atari was a prolific N64 developer.

Here's my list. Start with the first-party Nintendo games, and sprinkle a couple of other third party IP:
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
Mario Kart 64
Wave Race 64
1080 Snowboarding
Pilotwings 64
Star Fox 64
F- Zero X
Kirby 64
Paper Mario
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Yoshi's Story
Super Smash Bros
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap
Excitebike 64
Donkey Kong 64
Ridge Racer 64 (Namco has Galaga and Pac-Man licensed for the NES Mini, this should be easy to get)
Cruis'n USA
Cruis'n World
Cruis'n Exotica (the Cruis'n IP is owned by Nintendo anyways)

Then make two expansion packs, one for Rare games and one for Midway/Atari games. Put an SD card slot or something where it's easily hideable, make the console look like a mini N64 with a mini cartridge installed, and put the slot in the cartridge part somewhere.

Rare Expansion:
Blast Corps
Jet Force Gemini
Killer Instinct Gold
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Diddy Kong Racing

Midway Expansion:
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Mortal Kombat 4
Mace: The Dark Age
BioFreaks
San Francisco Rush
Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA
California Speed
Rush 2049
Hydro Thunder
Robotron 64

As for other third-party games, see if Bethesda can cut a deal to get Doom 64 (they have the rights to that, do they?), and if EA and Volkswagen can cut deals to get Beetle Adventure Racing on there.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Naa, nostalgia is better. Most games don't age that great. Especially first gen 3D games.

The N64 library without Rareware titles is a joke when it comes to quantity and you also can't ship it with the original controller, because it would be too bad nowadays.

Widge

I quite like it.

What didn't you find right about it?

Huge, & found it a bit lopsided to use. I get that you could grab it in three different ways but there must be a way to provide the same buttons with a much more intelligent layout nowadays.

Spman2099

Unfortunately, some of their strongest, most memorable, games would be impossible to secure. This wouldn't be a big deal for a NES or SNES Mini Console, but the N64 doesn't really have a strong enough lineup to do without Rare's games. Even looking at that list there are a reasonable amount of ho-hum games riding on their name alone. On top of that, there are inferior ports in that list. It just wasn't that strong of a console...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not something I'd really want as first generation 3D games (N64/PS1) just didn't age well for me. Missing rare games would hurt my interest a lot as well, not to mention all but Goldeneye of the ones I want are in Rare Replay already. As well as superior versions of the Zelda games and Star Fox 64 on 3DS.

SNES mini console would be more appealing, but hard to justify another box under the console when I can just emulate the games I have boxed up in a closet anyway.

Coreda

I was fond of the modded mini version a Youtuber made years ago.

top-down2y6au6.jpg

Not sure I'd be interested in a limited/locked selection but if Perfect Dark was playable at a higher, stable fps I might be.

How are saves stored on these type of mini consoles, do they ever include memory cards?

Celine

Thread made me realize that the N64 while having some of the greatest games did not have a lot of them.

Half the games on this list are mediocre at best.
Cite me the 15 "mediocre at best" games in my list (in the context of the 32-64 bit generation of course).

EDIT:
Sorry DP.

Gartooth

I don't see the point in one unless they can cut a deal with Microsoft for Rare's games. Otherwise we would be left with the handful of 10 or 15 worthwhile 1st party games, since the N64 didn't have many notable 3rd party games like NES and SNES.

Supposedly all they'd have to do is let Microsoft release it on Xbox.

The game is jointly owned by Nintendo and Microsoft (via Rare) and neither can do anything with the other's approval. Apparently MS tried to release it on 360, and approached Nintendo with a deal where it would release on XBLA and the Virtual Console on the same day. Nintendo refused because they consider it a Nintendo game.

they more likely refused as the 360 was going to get a fancy remastered version and the wii just a rom dump, then activision (who actually held the bond licence at the time) came along with a remake

EmSeta

Yeah, 32- and 64-bit 3D games didn't age very well. I would prefer thorough remasters and remakes a la OoT 3D.

I don't see the point in one unless they can cut a deal with Microsoft for Rare's games. Otherwise we would be left with the handful of 10 or 15 worthwhile 1st party games, since the N64 didn't have many notable 3rd party games like NES and SNES.

well there is rumours of a few Rare games coming to the wii u vc so a deal isn't out of the question

Ansatz

What I want? More Rare games: Banjo Kazooie, Tooie, GoldenEye and Perfect Dark.

It's still a good list though.

Spman2099

Cite me the 15 "mediocre at best" games in my list (in the context of the 32-64 bit generation of course).

EDIT:
Sorry DP.

I think it is pretty hard to argue that fifteen are mediocre at best...

Mortal Kombat 4 and Castlevania Legacy of Darkness are legitimately fairly bad (even if I have a soft spot for both of them).

I imagine the games in the running for "mediocre" would be Kirby 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Ridge Racer 64.

Beyond that, the rest are pretty hard to accuse of being mediocre.

Yeah, 32- and 64-bit 3D games didn't age very well. I would prefer thorough remasters and remakes a la OoT 3D.

Only the polygonal games aged poorly, there are stacks and stacks of PS1 and Saturn games (most Japanese) that aged very gracefully.

TreIII

Any 64 pack-in that contained Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Goemon's Great Adventure and/or all three (well, four) Bomberman games would get my money, guaranteed.

Since I still have a working 64, I'd largely just be interested in such a thing for the sake of convenience.

Thud

Cartridge to complete the n64 look. It's tricky with the Rare stuff and 10-15 games is probably better to manage. Something like this:

Super Mario 64
Star Fox 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Party 2
Mario Kart 64
Wave Racer
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Bomberman 64
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Snap

Of course this leaves pokemon stadium, kirby 64, rogue squadron, fzeroX, pilotwings, excite bike, harvest moon, ogre battle, doom and a few others.

Celine

I think it is pretty hard to argue that fifteen are mediocre at best...
Yep.

Mortal Kombat 4 and Castlevania Legacy of Darkness are legitimately fairly bad (even if I have a soft spot for both of them).

I imagine the games in the running for "mediocre" would be Kirby 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Ridge Racer 64.
MK4 and Castlevania LoD are decent game, I admit though that the reason they make it into my list (over something memorable like Mystical Ninja for example) is the brand name attached to them.

Some games may be disappointing sequels (Mario Kart 64, Yoshi's Stories, Kirby 64) or be seen as primitive because they created the franchise (Super Smash Bros) but they have iconic characters in them therefore I believe if Nintendo ever want to tackle this initiative they will include them.

Ridge Racer 64 isn't mediocre, the biggest accusation it could receive is that it is based on the first 2 arcade games more than Type 4 which is a bit unfair.
I don't think it's the best car racing game on the system but again I considered the brandname.

TheMoon

I think as far as first-party games goes (sans games whose IPs are owned by Microsoft/Rare or Star Wars games owned by Disney) it is almost definitive.
Third-party games is a toss but iconic franchises like Resident Evil, Ridge Racer, Castlevania, Bomberman, Harvest Moon, Mortal Kombat, Doom, Rayman have a good chance to appear if publishers agree on the fees (and emulation isn't a problem).
Also I wonder if Nintendo 64 more western nature mean we will get more third-party games from western publisher and very little from japanese ones (more Turok etc. ?).

The problem there is that your list includes a bunch of M-rated games that would never ship with this thing if it were to exist. All the NES games of similar ilk are E-rated (Ninja Gaiden, Super C...).

They wouldn't be selling anything over the T-rating, especially not together with "E for Everyone" palooza N64 classics since they want the larges possible audience.

GoldenEye. Without that it's not an N64.

Got some more 100% unrealistic picks? :D

Assuming 12 titles, this would be my ideal, if perhaps a bit unrealistic on a couple of choices (like, where the hell has Mischief Makers been on VC? There must be some horrible rights entanglement involved with it). Never been a huge fan of the Rare stuff, though...

Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Paper Mario
Star Fox 64
Mario Kart 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
F-Zero X
Sin and Punishment
Ogre Battle 64
Mischief Makers
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon

Celine

The problem there is that your list includes a bunch of M-rated games that would never ship with this thing if it were to exist. All the NES games of similar ilk are E-rated (Ninja Gaiden, Super C...).

They wouldn't be selling anything over the T-rating, especially not together with "E for Everyone" palooza N64 classics since they want the larges possible audience.
Yeah, I realized only later that there might be this problem.
I still think it's a pity, sales wise, to leave out Doom, Mortal Kombat or Resident Evil.

maxcriden

Star Wars Episode I: Racer or Star Wars Rogue Squadron

So pleased to see Racer mentioned. This game doesn't get nearly enough cred. It was a fun and unusual spin-off in the SW-verse and the only good thing to come out of Ep 1 (I say that as a very casual SW viewer). The racing felt good and the landscapes were compelling.

Got some more 100% unrealistic picks? :D

how many NES games are there that would get a higher rating anyway?

Yarbskoo

A cartridge slot.

Apart from that though, just to cover the basics:

Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Blast Corps
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Donkey Kong 64
GoldenEye 007
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
A lot of people are listing games, but a large chunk of the N64 library will never be made available again. Those that could be released are Nintendo games and personally, I'd rather have them remade and updated similar to what was done for the N64 Zelda and Starfox games on 3DS. Hopefully with NX we can see them released again, but this time in HD.

If they were to release a N64 (or any) mini-console, the best possible scenario would be for them to use a modified version of the original hardware with HDMI out, USB ports for the controllers and the ability to download games to it. In the case of N64, it would be even better if they allowed the clock rates to be adjustable depending on the game. I know a lot of this sounds like wishful thinking, but they did this with the iQue in China which was original N64 hardware so it is possible. On that note, a redesigned N64 controller would be nice as well and although I'm not entirely sure about ergonomics, I think the layout of the iQue controller would be a better template to aim for as opposed to the original N64 controller layout.

My fear is NoA is just releasing a NES Mini to fill the holiday gap and remind people about Nintendo before NX launches. Believe me, I want a SNES and N64 mini so bad.

That said,

It could just ship with Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, Wave Race 64, Mario Golf 64, Mario Tennis 64, Mario Kart 64 and it'd be sold for those alone.

Griss

The key potential selling point for me would be to be able to play the games at a higher resolution. Without that (which is freely available using emulation on PC) the offer just isn't interesting to me. Those games had resolutions that just aren't acceptable to my eyes these days unless played on a small, portable screen, but when upressed they look fantastic again.

And yeah, the Rare games would need to be there.

Also, it sure is a struggle to get 30 quality games on the N64, isn't it? It was a feast or famine console.

Hell. Fucking. Yeah.

And I think Nintendo will do it. I think they'll do it with the SNES too, although I think the amount of bundled games will decrease w/ each iteration due to the increased costs of manufacturing the hardware/controller.

SNES Mini w/ 20 games for $60

N64 Mini w/ 10 games for $60

Eradicate

Some awesome lists here!

I think Microsoft would allow some Rare games on here to make some money. Also slap a "Featuring Microsoft's™ Rare™ game catalogue!" star on there as well, and I think everyone involved with be pleased as punch to make a ton more money on this!

But, just for the challenge, here's my list with no Rare games, games released on other platforms, and under a T rating:

1080° Snowboarding
Beetle Adventure Racing!
Donkey Kong 64
Excitebike 64
Extreme-G
F-Zero X
Goemon's Great Adventure
Harvest Moon 64
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Mischief Makers
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Paper Mario
Pilotwings 64
Pokémon Puzzle League
Pokémon Snap
Ridge Racer 64
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Space Station Silicon Valley
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
Tetrisphere
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

(There were plenty of other games I'd like to add on there, but again, I was using the stipulations listed above!)

WCW vs. nWo: World Tour
WCW/nWo Revenge
WrestleMania 2000
No Mercy

and goldeneye for shits and giggles

These games were our multiplayer staples for years back home! (Never played No Mercy though, but I heard it was just as great!)

yllekz

Banned
Plot Twist: Nintendo releases N64 Classic Mini with only Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64, just like the original N64 launch

TheMoon

Yeah, I realized only later that there might be this problem.
I still think it's a pity, sales wise, to leave out Doom, Mortal Kombat or Resident Evil.

Yea but I guess that comes with the territory. N64 had the "for babiez" rep for a reason. Not a good reason but a reason. It had so many T/M-rated games that were actually good that this perception has always been baffling. But the family-friendly games will always stick out and be its main association.

Top Bottom