• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what year do you expect the world to come together as one nation

Cocaloch

Ok so, "ignoring reality" wasn't a good way to frame this. I see and understand your point. I'm not sure assuming we don't change (or much) is a good way to frame this either, even though past precedence could more easily be used to make a model.

BTW how do you plan/model for an outcome without historical precedence?

Theoretically it'd be purely rational, but realistically our entire understanding of the social is so historical I doubt that's possible.

Keasar

When He decides to reveal himself from the shadows and lead humanity towards a glorious future.

Emperor-of-Mankind-472x274.jpg

Barring any angry spoiled fucks ruining everything, fucking Horus.

Cocaloch

And yet each joined under a common jurisdiction, common customs and allowed borderless movement of their people's. Both passed over many of the responsibilities and trappings of statehood to another common party, and there has been a common identity forged, if not yet shared by all.

Ok it has been peeled back on one side, but all this after only a few millennia as you correctly point out, a minuscule amount of time given the timeline left to ponder in.

Those few millenia represent the entirety of Britain's history.

Mael

Turns out nothing about communication means that states dissolve. France and Britain have been in constant close communication for millennia. Turns out each has their own state.

The fun part about this post is that if you're talking about Brittany and France, they were functionally 2 very different countries with very distinct cultures that have merged into a greater France.
Brittany's culture is still relevant to this day.
And also if we're talking Britain and France they have been instances where the 2 countries could have ended up as 1 too.

Burbeting

Banned
At this point I see humanity being wiped by a nuclear war before coming together as one race.

But if we are being optimistic... it would take at least few centuries. Most likely at least 300-500 years.

After World War 3

The funny thing is that this is what Roddenberry believed. For all of the apparent optimism of Star Trek, its basic premise is that society of the future couldn't come into being until our current world's societies and governments were utterly destroyed, beginning with societal breakdown and ending with nuclear armageddon.

And a chance encounter with an advanced space-faring aliens at the exact moment an FTL ship is launched from the Earth.

GermanZepp

Could happen if some catastrophe kill all the people in the world excep for one city/country.

HUmans are gonna get extinct

HeatBoost

Quesiton:

How likely is it that there will be a WAR to establish a one world government?

I don't mean so much in terms of one country taking over the world, I mean more in terms of people who are in favor of a global union VS countries who still think everybody should have their own largely distinct interests

The only hope of anything like this happening id imagine would be if the major international organizations like the AU, SCO, EU, and what ever exists for latin america and what will take the role of a NA organization beyond basic free trade, all come together under one republic.

Though the current anarchic structure of global politics is manageable, though I feel with only one current power holding a hegemony (USA) is a weaker structure than if it were to share that power. The Shanghai Coorperation organization I could see becoming the new warsaw pact, and China by itself could probably compete with the US.

Im just a third year though so who knows, I do like the structure and posiitions of the African Union though it unfortunately only has the will and not the power to bring peace to africa. How they handled the Burkina Faso coup though was nice

It would have to be a situation where humans are literally face to face with extinction. And even then it would only be short lived if we survived the event.

mas8705

Unless if someone tries to start a world war 3 and succeeds in conquering the planet, it is highly doubtful that there will ever be just "One Nation"

Gragen

There is only one answer. When there is one nation called Earth.

We would all need a common goal and we are thousands of years away from that. The idea of judgement would have to be obliterated from our minds for this to even be possible.

Sometime after a very grand scale apocalypse that makes it impossible for people to live any other way. (ie. 10,000 odd people left scattered throughout the globe).

One nation seems like a impossibility, I think it would take something threatening humanity almost to extinction for the last remnants to band together.

The problem is while the digital revolution is increasingly removing geography as a barrier to shared culture, it's simultaneously making it possible for geographically-proximal individuals to not predominantly share a culture (see: Conservatives and Progressives in America).

The step of "geography doesn't matter" isn't so difficult or far-flung, it's happening quite rapidly. The problem is that even once geography ceases to be a consideration, you still have deeply tribal human nature to contend with.

The point where traditional nation-states stop mattering, though? Probably no more than a hundred years. People are going to be more organized according to their ideologies than their location as technology continues to break down the barriers between communication and transportation.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
If we can eliminate scarcity before everybody dies, that will be the time

Feels like a longshot

PSqueak

Banned
When capitalism is solved.

We would need straight up a complete economic reboot of the entire world before people even begin to concider the idea as viable, the #1 enemy of uniting the world as one nation is the fact that rich nations would not want to play ball with the poor nations.

I mean, see how the USA treats Puerto Rico.

When aliens threaten to colonize earth.

And succeed.

KahooTs

The problem is while the digital revolution is increasingly removing geography as a barrier to shared culture, it's simultaneously making it possible for geographically-proximal individuals to not predominantly share a culture (see: Conservatives and Progressives in America).

The step of "geography doesn't matter" isn't so difficult or far-flung, it's happening quite rapidly. The problem is that even once geography ceases to be a consideration, you still have deeply tribal human nature to contend with.

The point where traditional nation-states stop mattering, though? Probably no more than a hundred years. People are going to be more organized according to their ideologies than their location as technology continues to break down the barriers between communication and transportation.
We are all headed generally the same direction, free trade and socially liberal. Both sides of the idealogical divide live under the same laws with only the extreme fringes straying outside, which both sides are forced to condemn in order to survive.

Chibot

I don't think it will take nearly as long as many might imagine.

Once AI comes close to and then quickly exceeds humans, things should rapidly change for the better. So many of our problems will be solved. We will come together out of our shared interest in survival and to explore the universe in search of locations to colonize.

I'll guess the year 2140. Humanity, through genetic and other technological breakthroughs, may go through more change in the next 100 years than it has to date.

Xe4

Banned
Will we ever come together as a singular nation with no problems and peace for everyone? No probably not. Will we form some sort of unitary government in the future? Seems likely to me.

We're headed that ways anyhow. In just the past 100 years the world has made some pretty insane steps towards globalization and we'll continue moving in that direction. I believe that the true conflict in the future (and I mean distant future) will not be between different nations but different planets, and there's no way the governments of Earth won't step forward together to deal with those conflicts.

There will still be civil wars and the like, but I don't see too many scenarios (short of us being wiped out before then) where something like this doesn't happen.

If I had to put a date on it... the 2300's. That's just a guess though. It could be sooner.

99Luffy

Banned
When the Zerg/flood/giant space octopus/Dr. Manhattan attacks.

Or when currency is abolished and scarcity is no longer a word

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
After a super volcano or meteor strike destroys everything, but not enough to completely prevent countries from working together, and probably only for a while. Global warming floods won't be enough.

Yeah that's a good point. Look at the dynamics within a single country, now magnify that to global scale. Instead of having extremists acting in their countries, they'll coordinate globally, and then next thing you know you got a Trump running the world.

you know when will all the countries forsake their differences and finally become one nation on planet earth

bonus question: what might finally make this happen an alien invasion or Zero Requiem

The only way we stop squabbling on a global scale is if there is a greater external threat.

Top Bottom