• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whatcha think The Evil Withins Metacritic score will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
75. It'll be one of those "B" AAA games that don't quite have the production values and the right kind of presentation and polish to get the big scores. Cult classic potential, but at the very least a fun, eccentric romp like Shadows of the Damned.

67. It'll be okay, but nothing special. It will get slammed a bit harder than expected (perhaps a bit overly harshly) due to the long marketing cycle it's getting.

Sanctuary

75. It'll be one of those "B" AAA games that don't quite have the production values and the right kind of presentation and polish to get the big scores. Cult classic potential, but at the very least a fun, eccentric romp like Shadows of the Damned.

AAA by its very definition has the money for the production and a lot of advertising. You can have an awesome game without it being AAA.

I'm thinking 75 most likely, 80 best case scenario.

antitrop

Yep, my favorite game from 2012 has a 76 on metacritic

Indeed. :p

Yro8HYI.png

Shauni

I can see the game being slightly underrated due to inevitable direct comparisons with Resident Evil 4. Not that it doesn't deserve them, but I can see the game getting a bad reputation even if it ends up still being really good, but not living up to that legacy.

Kinda like the people that hate Bioshock because it doesn't live up to System Shock 2.

This is a good point. I could see this happening, unfortunately.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Throw me in the 90% camp.
I want this and I think it will be a huge surprise to everyone this year.

You can tell just by watching footage of the game that it's simply too "clunky" to earn an average score of 90 on metacritic. It might very well be a great game, but it's not going have the polish required to garner universal approval from critics. It's got divisive written all over it. Just read the previews for further evidence.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Going to be playing it this weekend for a few hours, will try and look into how I think it may do critically and how I think I'll feel on it then.

That game sucks! Just kidding! I really enjoyed that and Spec Ops. Funny enough the first time I played Spec Ops I thought of it as a somewhat just average game, but the more I thought about what it did with the story and the presentation, etc. MIND BLOWN :p

Anyways, did you pre-order yet? :D

dreamfall

Critics be damned, I'm hoping for something wonderful. I bet critically it'll be mediocre, with a 70ish response.

But god damn, I'm expecting Mikami greatness!

JPS Kai

I'm going with a solid 84. It has a decent team, they've taken a lot of notice from previous reactions, and the timing would have reviewers give it a more positive light with it being so close to Halloween (a dumb reason, but I am guilty of this myself).

Will reviewers mention the season pass? Would that detract from the final score?
Doubtful

72-80%. Reviewers will be harsh on it because it is not considered a popular AAA mainstream release. I know the game will be great though.

Hahahaha, what a twist! I'm more with Antitrop on this one (we seem to agree a lot).

I'm thinking The Evil Within will sit at a 78. Give or take no more than 2 points. I hope I'm wrong and it scores higher but horror is a niche, I could see the excessive gore turning some people off, and it won't have the polish of a huge budget AAA game, while still chasing that star. These are score killers even for great games. I also predict the story will be pretty weak, much like RE4, but it will be judged more harshly for it.

Can I say something else kind of random about this game? I'm nervous about it using Clare de Lune as the safehouse music. This is a completely personal thing, I admit. I find that song to be the most beautiful piano piece ever written. For some reason, it deeply affects me emotionally when I hear it. It's practically transformative; I close my eyes and feel so distant from my life and problems. I absolutely cherish it.

I'm worried that I'll associate it with this horror game from here on out and it will take on a new meaning. It's so so so dumb but I'm literally worried about that.

I have problems apparently,

74%

I can't wait to try it out and I won't really know until I have it in my hands, but the game play looks clunky to me so far.

Well silent hill downpour and homecoming are both within 64-70 and they're maybe my personal least favorite games of all time but I still see them rating higher than this

Gonna go 60-65

I just don't see anything above average with this.

I hope I'm wrong

Roubjon

Everything I've seen about the game is kinda disappointing and janky. With Mikami making it everyone's excited and hopeful, including me, but I've yet to see something that makes up for what's wrong about it.

Hopefully I'm wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom