• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whatever happened to transparent consoles/controllers/handhelds?

Kokonoe

Banned
Can't post a picture at the moment, but the Halo 4 360 and it's controllers are transparent, and they look quite good IMO.

Wow, this looks pretty good. Would prefer full transparency, though.

hUnJWcw.jpg
mtkg1nl.jpg

rObit

Banned
Wow, this looks pretty good. Would prefer full transparency, though.

That UNSC logo in the first pic is some kind of decal. The controllers are mostly transparent with a couple of stripes running down them, as in ncsuDuncan's pic.

LeleSocho

Banned
WTH is wrong with you people? Transparent electronic looks awesome, thank god that probably with transparent screen on the way they will return to stay... forever.

Transparent electronics are one of those design trends, like structural expressionism, that look cool, but are usually aesthetically unpleasing.

Trends changed and people stopped buying as many clear plastic electronics, so plastic makers stopped making as much clear plastic, which meant that manufacturers who previously got big discounts from plastic supplies with their excess clear plastic no longer ordered as much since they were no longer getting huge discounts.

Basically, money.

wondermega

Hated this terrible trend. Damn you Apple iMac for launching it into the mainstream. I remember there was a time during the turn of the century when you could not buy a damned DustBuster and have it be anything but transparent plastic. So ridiculous.

"transparent plastic" might be a good name for an ironically-themed garage emo band, however (or a government whistleblower who is opening a can of worms on some kind of cosmetic surgery cover-up)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The only halfway cool-looking transparent electronics were iMacs, and even those look pretty silly in hindsight.

Transparent controllers aren't too bad as long as they've got the proper opacity and are in a tasteful color, though. The transparent Dualshock3s posted are pretty decent. A nice dark 'smoke' generally looks nice.

edit: Actually, the Crystal OG Xbox looked pretty neat. It owes a lot of that to the visible innards being a big silver box rather than a bunch of messy, clashing circuitboards and wires. Plus the standard Black & Green units weren't exactly lookers themselves.
xboxx19.jpg

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hold your PS3 controller up to a light.

They are transparent.

I just blew your mind.

The DS3 is fully opaque. The SIXAXIS on the other hand used thin plastic to cut down on costs which made it appear transparent when held up to a bright light. The cost saving measure is completely different than the purposely transparent controllers/consoles that the OP is talking about.

jmro

The DS3 is fully opaque. The SIXAXIS on the other hand used thin plastic to cut down on costs which made it appear transparent when held up to a bright light. The cost saving measure is completely different than the purposely transparent controllers/consoles that the OP is talking about.

does this guy know how to party or what?

Daingurse

I think it's tacky IMO. There was a lot of novelty when I was a kid, but it really lost it's appeal as I grew older. Matte black or gtfo.

Nyoro SF

I think transparent looks cool. Granted if the plastic is cheap I can understand that it looks bad, but seeing a PCB and wiring straight through has always been really cool to me.

Fonz72

The first PS3 controllers (and at least parts of the console) were ever-so-slightly transparent.

I just realized this about a month ago. Mind = blown!

I dig the transparent style. I think it looks dated in a cool way. Makes me think of this underdog company in the pc market...........Apple or something. Hmm.

I never really cared about translucent consoles, but I adore them in handhelds and accessories. I love visible guts.

I don't care about this glossy white and black Apple dystopia on gadgets and electronic colour schemes. I want to see everything, I want to see it all.

daveo42

Banned
Don't forget this one. The milky pink looked great too.

2zP6c.jpg

I have the same model sitting at my house. It doesn't look that bad, but I am glad companies have dropped the whole transparent deal. They just need to invest in more colors other than black and white.

G0523

I liked the transparent accessories and handhelds but not so much for consoles. Sucks now if you want a transparent DualShock 3 you'll need to go to Walmart for a blue one or Target for a red one. But they do look nice. I wish Nintendo would release transparent handhelds and controllers again.

Gamespawn

I used to think the controllers were cool, but for some reason, they all seem to break faster than normal. Plus, almost impossible to get cheetos from the inside.

Top Bottom