• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's been the most impressive PS5 game so far

T0minator

Now that the latest PS Showcase has come and gone, we've gotten an idea what PS5 has coming the rest of this year.

Final Fantasy 16
Helldivers 2
Spider-Man 2
Stellar Blade (possibly)

My question to you all is what has been the most impressive games released up to this point?

Ragnarök had moments that made my jaw drop, I'm tempted to replay it all again soon, and GT7 VR blew me away

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There are plenty:
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart -- Just pure visual goodness. Seems like you're playing a Pixar movie. Also the detail and environment density in each level is quite amazing.
  • Demon's Souls -- The graphical upgrade significantly upped the gloomy vibe of the game.
  • GT 7 PS VR 2 -- Game-changer!
  • Returnal -- Not as huge of a visual showcase as Ratchet & Clank, but it's fast-paced gameplay on the PS5 and DualSense is pure heaven.
  • Horizon Forbidden West + Burning Shores -- Hands down still the best-looking game out there.
I'm sure Final Fantasy XVI will join this list because of how epic it feels and those Eikon battles.

Beardsalt

Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores, Demon Souls Remake and FF7 Intergrade, all look and play the part!

Ratchet and Clank also!

Last edited:

T0minator

Going back to Returnal lately I've really noticed how the particle effects and voxels bursting out from every dead enemy that makes it impressive. I'm hoping Housemarques next game keeps that voxel look, it's their style for sure

Sw0pDiller

Though, Ps5 has stunned me with multiple titels with just a 60fps upgrade over PS4 but i remember Returnal running just flawless an wow me with particles

Emet_bp

Horizon Forbidden West - for all the small details, foliage quality and density, textures and high polycount on almost everything.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - great RT reflections and character models (+ fur), a lot of going on around the player and everything is very detailed.
Gran Turismo 7 - most detailed car models in the world (with best shaders, materials and highest polycount), RT on cars (and other objects in photo mode), lighting, some of the tracks.
In some way... Fortnite - thanks to the UE5 Lumen GI and RT shadows at locked 60fps.

Last edited:
Demon Souls and Horizon 2 + Burning Shores destroy basically any other game visually.

The opening of DS and the flamelurker boss arena + flying though photo realistic fluffy clouds in burning shores have basically been the only things that have made me say “holy shit that’s next Gen” since the consoles launched.

Mahavastu

As for many here for me the most impressive game is Ratchet&Clank, Rift apart. It just looks incredible, smooth 60fps with high resolution and ray tracing, so many moving parts and details.
Nowadays probably also Horizon, forbidden west, but I played it before the patch...

Most magical gameplay was Returnal, but the foliage and small details looked strange on PS5, probably a better upscaling (FSR2?) and DRS would have helped.

Zuzu

Final Fantasy 7 Intergrade and The Last of Us Part 1 for me. Just finished God of War (2018) for the first time today using the PS5 performance mode and it’s a good game as well but a tier below those two. Ratchet and Clank was fantastic wrt its gameplay and visuals but its story and characters were poor.

Last edited:

SCB3

Ratchet and Clank: A Rift in Time is the perfect game to show off the PS5 over the PS4, the things that game does compared to the 2016 game are incredible and its a lot of fun

Musilla

Forbidden West/Burning Shores
Hr1pWNI.gif

Hr1pM9p.gif

FunkMiller

Gold Member
GT7 VR is legitimately the only game of this generation that so far feels like an actual leap in terms of interactive video games entertainment, which offers something new and exciting.

Everything else is just Ps4 level stuff with better textures and framerate.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Personally, I'm gonna have to go with Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. The game was gorgeous and honestly just felt like playing a good old fashioned 3D platform shooter. I had a lot of fun with it.

I think it's Ratchet and Clank, because that Pixar look is always sexy.

You mean the frames? SCNR.
For someone who grew up with action-adventure platformers like Ratchet and Clank it's surreal how the models look incredible and almost Pixar-like quality. Getting a close-up of Ratchet and Rivet and the models revealing all those details. Especially their fur, with the most notable detail being that Ratchet has irregular fur patches all over his face. It's astounding.

Horizon or ratchet at this point. Others are great in their own way like returnal with voxels or god of war with overall quality. GT7 with vr etc.

Visually I haven't been let down by any of the exclusives HFW is an easy standout I'd like to progress further in Demons Souls but that game kicks my ass so I haven't see the cool bosses yet. I think personally RC is still the best probably due to artstyle but it felt as if I was playing a CG movie.

Lupin25

Astro’s Playroom & Returnal

Ps5 Astro Bot GIF by PlayStation

It’s why I need a full game/vr2 compatible from Team Asobi asap.

Last edited:
As much as I thought Ratchet and Clank was beautiful, as was Miles Morales, GT7, and especially GoW Ragnarok, for me, the game that has genuinely blown me away is Demon Souls.

That's an incredible looking game, truly it is.

When I first jumped on and saw it running on my 4k monitor i was genuinely impressed in a way I very rarely am.

Last edited:
Top Bottom