• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's some of the most offensive ads (magazines or commercials) from the 90s/early 00s?

CherryFalls

GP4uJZ3WYAASbR6

Sorcerer

Perhaps not the most offensive, but I seem to recall an ad for Panzer Dragoon Saga, that mocked customers who could not find a copy. The ad had a mask one could cut out and I think the individual was supposed to wear the mask as a symbol of shame. I could be totally wrong here so any correction is appreciated.

phant0m

All the PSP Squirrels ads are famously weird and nobody would try it again in current year.

I dunno if it's offensive, but there was an ad in Edge magazine where they had a picture of a plucked cartoon dodo with a bunch of real feathers between the pages and the text "don't be a dodo" or something, I don't even remember what it was for (I'm sure Guru Larry would remember).
It was incredibly silly and I think they apologized for publishing the ad.

these are my favorite TV ads in the industry after Kevin Butle. also that first one would 100% play with today's kids. just need to swap in a few more modern lingo (ohio rizz, no cap, on god, etc). same concepts are all there though

RedC

Perhaps not the most offensive, but I seem to recall an ad for Panzer Dragoon Saga, that mocked customers who could not find a copy. The ad had a mask one could cut out and I think the individual was supposed to wear the mask as a symbol of shame. I could be totally wrong here so any correction is appreciated.
zxkghgw3v5271.jpg

I remember being quite shocked by the Xbox "Life's Too Short" or whatever it was called advert, that started with a woman giving birth and the baby literally shooting out and flying at insane speeds across the sky, aging rapidly until he crashes into a grave with a headstone as an old dead man at the end. It was certainly memorable and well-made but it was also deeply disturbing in my opinion and not quite what I expected to see in a games console ad.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Gold Member
This Xbox 360 ad has some backstory to it as it was supposed to air nationally on TV, but Microsoft saved it for some of its kiosks instead. I remember seeing it at a Best Buy and loved it immediately.

Top Bottom