• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's some of the most offensive ads (magazines or commercials) from the 90s/early 00s?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
EZPS0W1.jpeg

GymWolf

Gold Member
This was offensive at the time. Sony had to take it down and publicly apologise.

"Whilst the images used in the campaign were intended solely to highlight the contrast between the different colors available for the PSP, we recognize that the subject matter of one specific image may have caused concern in some countries not directly affected by the advertising," the company said in a statement. "As a result, we have now withdrawn the campaign."

Was just supposed to run in the EU I think. But this was a pretty dumb gaffe from a marketing perspective across the board I'd think.
it was offensive because people only saw that one

images

psp-black-white-ad3.jpg

Put all three on sight and only someone from modern era would be offended.

The worst thing about these posters is that we didn't got a rule34 out of them :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

DryvBy

All the PSP Squirrels ads are famously weird and nobody would try it again in current year.

I dunno if it's offensive, but there was an ad in Edge magazine where they had a picture of a plucked cartoon dodo with a bunch of real feathers between the pages and the text "don't be a dodo" or something, I don't even remember what it was for (I'm sure Guru Larry would remember).
It was incredibly silly and I think they apologized for publishing the ad.

Ha, that first link is from my channel :D

SaintALia

it was offensive because people only saw that one

images

psp-black-white-ad3.jpg

Put all three on sight and only someone from modern era would be offended.
I think people would be offended in the modern era if you omitted 1 of them from each era. Just different groups would be offended. I can see the chans, certain reddits and certain forums getting pissy because of those two images you posted, without the other one.

But the first image with no context would have offended a lot of people in any era past the 60's in Britain and the US.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think people would be offended in the modern era if you omitted 1 of them from each era. Just different groups would be offended. I can see the chans, certain reddits and certain forums getting pissy because of those two images you posted, without the other one.

But the first image with no context would have offended a lot of people in any era past the 60's in Britain and the US.
Sure, that's why i said all 3 on sight.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Things were mostly cleaned up by the late 2010's, so I don't recall anything massively egregious.

But there was still edgy stuff airing on cable shows like G4 and HBO at the time. I pretty much saw Alison Haislip's bunghole as she dived into the ocean for example. Which I appreciate, but it wasn't appropriate for network TV.

Edit: I meant late 2000's

Last edited:
IMG-0054.png
This isn’t as extreme as what’s been posted. I found this Best Buy ad in a EGM from around 1997. It’s not the full add, just a clip I took because I thought she was hot.

The ad is supposed to be showing how you can shop for TV from home. I thought it was funny how the woman is in her underwear. Like women shop for TV laying in bed in underwear. Pretty blatantly pandering to the video game nerds.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Stuff like this is only offensive because it's treating gamers like total loser sex crazed morons with disfigured dicks. When we aren't just that, we also like junk food.
Speak for yourself, I eat the most exquisite, healthiest organic grass like a cow.

Top Bottom