• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the absolute worst game of 2016 you played?

Spenny

In terms of games I was disappointed with: Uncharted 4 or Mighty no 9

In terms of busted-ass shit games: Homefront the Revolution

Zedark

Star Ocean V. I went in expecting it to give me my Tales fill for the year, but instead it just gave me quite some frustration. Haven't finished it, and probably never will. Shame, since it was on my most anticipated list for this year.

Shit, I didn't even know it got a console release. Last I heard of it they put it on Steam and then I thought it just died.

It should have died. Got released as F2P. HAWKEN ran like crap on PS4. People exaggerate when they say slide show but it was seriously a literal slide show.

antitrop

Star Ocean V. I went in expecting it to give me my Tales fill for the year, but instead it just gave me quite some frustration. Haven't finished it, and probably never will. Shame, since it was on my most anticipated list for this year.
Don't finish it.

The only good reason to finish it is if you're an aspiring game developer and want an incredible lesson on "How Not To Make an RPG".

psyfi

Banned
I don't think I've played any bad games this year. Axiom Verge is probably the worst but it came out last year and it's really good still.

every aspect of overwatch game design is horrible and its a mess technically. forza horizon 3 is just a mess technically

I can kinda understand why you say that about FH3 if you are playing on PC. It performs very well on Xbone though. I can't agree with your assessment of Overwatch at all. To call the design horrible is a crazy criticism and I'd love to hear how you came to that conclusion. But at the end of the day, you are entitled to your opinion no matter what I think.

SirNinja

yeah how dare they have an opinion!

If people have an opinion like that, then they'd better back it up. Coming into this thread and dropping just the name of a really well-liked, well-reviewed game without explanation reeks of drive-by shitposting.

Good opinions are supported by reasonable points and convincing explanations about why a person feels they way they do about something. Those are the ones that are taken seriously. Posts like "lol bloodbrone XD"? Not so much.

Probably No Man's Sky if I had to pick but to be honest I didn't even hate it that much. I feel like I made pretty good choices this year in the games I bought.

Kyrios

I actually don't have a "worst" game played this year.

It was the Titanfall 2 alpha test, but I ended up loving the final game as most people did.

Edit: And no, I never played No Man's Sky

For what I consider worst game of 2016 for me would have to be based of critic reviews and my own experience. Most of my purchases are games that review well. When it comes to PS4 exclusives though I just pre-order it day one such as Infamous SS, The Order 1886, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, etc. Sadly, that became a problem with No Man's Sky. The absolute worst game of 2016 by a HUGE margin. I'm so pissed that I bought this game digitally. I bought into the hype and played it for about 5 days until reviews started coming in later and just like my view critics hated this game as well. Doing the same thing over and over. Biggest waste of $60 dollars I spent this year. I deleted that trash off my PS4 in less than one week and have no plans to return. Don't forget the lies that was advertised for this game.

you'd think it'd be NMS (and it is really fucking bad) but I was more mind numbingly bored by ...
Skyrim Remastered

so that game is it. The absolute worse game I've played 2016.

It has to be Bound, which looks nice but in all other respects was a terrible disappointment. I don't understand how a platformer with terrible platforming and ONE environment got such an easy ride.
oh I forgot about Bound. Yes I had the same feeling, I just couldn't get into it at all.

BiggNife

That I played? Probably Mighty No 9. It is just exceedingly mediocre in every aspect - visuals, level design, production values. Absolutely nothing stands out and I honestly got so bored I gave up after the third boss or so despite being a Mega Man fan. And that's not even taking into account the bizzare performance issues on consoles - it's genuinely baffling that the PS4 version has slowdown.

I'm playing Shantae: Half Genie Hero right now and the difference between it and MN9 is night and day despite being similar games with a similar budget.

Man I forgot about this. I bought it day one even after seeing the negative reviews just because I had been waiting for so long and literally the only good things about the game were the battle system and the RPG mechanics (crafting, skill system etc) Everything else was complete garbage. The story, the characters, the world design, the backtracking that's required. God what a piece of shit I was so disappointed. Beat it in like 25 hours and regret every moment.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't play bad games, and honestly it's pretty darn easy to tell from trailers which are going to be good or bad. The worst game I've played this year was probably FFXV, and I am really loving that game so far.

I still don't understand how anyone ever thought No Man's Sky was going to be any good at all.

driggonny

Banned
Despite playing many games over the past 12 months, apparently I've only played 2 games that were actually released this year... Uncharted 4 and Pokken Tournament. Those were both very close to the beginning of the year so it's hard for me to compare my experiences between the two now, but if I was forced to decide I'd say Pokken Tournament was worse. I actually really enjoyed my time with the game, however it felt rather simple and I got through most battles without much thought. I ended up only really playing it for as long as I did for the novelty of a Pokemon fighting game.

Edit: Oh, shit. I just remembered that I also played Pokemon Go. That is definitely the worst game released this year that I played.

DJ_Lae

I had to really think about what games I played this year, and it was even harder to think of ones I didn't like.

Then I remembered that Star Fox Zero came out this year. Phew, what a turd that was. Makes my choice here pretty easy.

Guard was a lot of fun, though, so at least the purchase wasn't a total bust.

Broforce. It was free, and I had a side scrolling shooter itch I needed scratched. I would of been better off playing a Metal Slug game.

Triteon

The worst 2016 release I played was Psycho Pass Mandatory Happiness, its the first time I've "played" a visual novel. It was like so boring. And I like Psycho Pass.

The worst game I played in 2016 from any other year? DJ Boy a beat em up from 91 where you are on skates or some shit 99% of the time I felt like I was punching people off screen.

I really didn't play any horrible games.

I got annoyed finishing some Just Cause 3 DLC because I forgot the controls lol.

But idk MLB The Show 16 got boring fast, same with Madden 17 (I need to stop getting sports games) and Dishonored 2 and Mafia 3 were disappointing but decent.

I can kinda understand why you say that about FH3 if you are playing on PC. It performs very well on Xbone though. I can't agree with your assessment of Overwatch at all. To call the design horrible is a crazy criticism and I'd love to hear how you came to that conclusion. But at the end of the day, you are entitled to your opinion no matter what I think.

yes the pc version of FH3. id ont have an xbone.

wrt overwatch. every single map is trash. the hitboxes being a minimum of 2x to a maximum of 5x as big as the actual visible player model is trash. the fact that the size of the hitbox changes depending on which character is attacking you is mega trash and is probably the single most glaring example of game design incompetence ive ever seen. theres no balance at all to the characters. genji alone destroys all but like 4 maaaaaybe 5 of the characters as just 1 example. every single high skill match is pretty much the same 7 or 8 characters. so much shit in the game is unavoidable, undefendable, uncounterable and unblockable. the abilities are mostly just QTE with nothing required of the player. the game encourages region hopping to take advantage of the shitty netcode.

and all of these issues are just exacerbated by how absurdly awful every single aspect of the engine is.

Hahs

My XP with Everybody's Gone To The Rapture was so bleeding boring, the pacing was excruciatingly
S-L-O-W...

I'm usually a sucker for sims but a literal walking sim, with a whimper for a run while exploring a small European village wasn't as engaging as I thought it would be...at least NMS has that mobile melee jump trick

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan

Just an incredibly dull game that squanders its potential left and right. Luckily I bought the game for 8 dollars at red box and sold it back for 12 dollars at gamestop. Made money playing the terrible game!

Memento

Oh my God, all these edgy people saying Uncharted 4.

Jesus. I mean, maybe its not your thing and you can definitely not like it. Opinions and all!

But "absolute worst game of the year"? Literally the best rated original game of this generation and the one that is being GOTY contender on every single outled out there is your worst game of the year? REALLY?

There wasnt a single worse game in the entire year?

The hyperbole is real, damn.

No Man's Sky takes the last several years. It's the worst game I've played since Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, if that tells you anything.

Just straight up trash in the format of 1s and 0s.

Ryuuga

Banned
Star Ocean V. It's so bad it made me reconsider forthcoming purchases in it's genre. It also ranks top in 'Games I'll likely never finish' alongside KZ: Shadowfall.

Wanderer5

Zero Time Dilemma. What a crapfest of a story that piles on any good scenes that are in there and just well, ended the series is such a lame and ridiculous way. The change from the VN storytelling to more like something from Telltale just ended up kind of annoying and quite rough too, and the fragment system made the journey really clunky personally.

From 999 to this, just disappointing.

Jesus. I mean, maybe its not your thing and you can definitely not like it. Opinions and all!

But "absolute worst game of the year"? Literally the best rated original game of this generation and the one that is being GOTY contender on every single outled out there is your worst game of the year? REALLY?

Honestly, but I mean all they want is comments like yours to feed off of. I understand if it was disappointing but worse...? Cmon.

Actually this has been a good year for games (atleast what I played). The game I had least fun would be Etrian Mystery Dungeon for 3DS. Something felt off with it.

I don't think they're being edgy, I just don't think they understand the difference between 'worst' and 'most disappointing'.

Listen, just ignore those posts. I just interpret that as being disappointed with the game, but it's not horrible by any stretch of the imagination.

I haven't played any game that I found horrible this year. The only game I'd say I didn't enjoy much is Divinity: Original Sin. I really dislike how slow everything is in that game. It's a shame to because I heard nothing but praise for that game.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't played anything awful as I'm pretty selective.

So I guess No Man's Sky. I liked it well enough for my first 20ish ours, ended up playing 40 some and was really sick of it by the end. Just boring and repetitive after the novelty wears off.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they're being edgy, I just don't think they understand the difference between 'worst' and 'most disappointing'.

To be fair, it's worst game you played per the thread title.

With all the reviews, let's plays and other videos etc. out there you really have to just be trying random shit just to try it to play games you end up truly feeling are awful these days.

So for most people the "worst" game they'll play in a given year is whatever ended up disappointing them despite reviewing well and looking like something they'd like in early videos they watched before buying.

rrs

No Man's Sky, I guess. Although the biggest flaw of that game was just being average and boring compared to like minecraft.
This piece of shit (APB)
Oh man, I played the beta for this game way back when, kind of a bummer it went bust then GTAO pretty much outclassed it in every way ever

Springy

Saw the thread title. Thought of Homefront: The Revolution. Glad to see OP's got it covered.

Fuck that game. It's not just bad, it's detestable. Not only for its disgusting world and politics, but it plays like a piece of shit and has a pointless and hopelessly dull open world. Not many games I start do I never finish, and even fewer make me actively miserable to play. I sold Homefront on within a couple of days. Fuck. That. Game.

Really haven't played anything bad this year. It's been a good year for games. If I were to rank everything I put any significant time into, the bottom would probably be either Quadrilateral Cowboy or Quantum Break - QC because I encountered a lot of bugs and QB because it just didn't ever wow me. I liked both quite a bit, though, and don't want to give the impression they're bad. I just avoid bad games, I guess.

Top Bottom