• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the Current Status of GAF in general right now?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
First impressions mean a lot so I agree with Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese post that we should all look to tone down the rhetoric, make unbiased thread titles, and refrain insulting other members with strong words instead of strong arguments.
Stop playing the victim. You came in here and labelled people alt-right. People asked you to provide evidence to back it up and you refused and then tried to walk it back.

You also claimed that you spend the majority of your time in political threads and in political discussion on multiple sites and yet you claim that you had no idea of the modern connotations of the term “alt-right”.

You didn’t provide an argument.

I’ve moved on, but you keep bringing it up like a jilted lover. Get over it. Take a step back, maybe think about what you want to say and what it means before you hit post in the future.

Stop playing the victim. You came in here and labelled people alt-right. People asked you to provide evidence to back it up and you refused and then tried to walk it back.

You also claimed that you spend the majority of your time in political threads and in political discussion on multiple sites and yet you claim that you had no idea of the modern connotations of the term “alt-right”.

You didn’t provide an argument.

I’ve moved on, but you keep bringing it up like a jilted lover. Get over it. Take a step back, maybe think about what you want to say and what it means before you hit post in the future.
Yes ok that happened. But has it happened since.

Poster apologized. How long does stay with some? Asking seriously because I seen the one comment. Was there more.

I think we should attempt to try and assume the positive. And see what happens. We (on the internet) have tried to assume the worst or look at someone’s mistake to determine their future thoughts. It only makes us hold grudges.

Wipe the slate clean and start over and see what happens. What can it hurt.

FYI I was involved with that one conversation. I ain’t suggesting you do something I am not willing to do.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yes ok that happened. But has it happened since.

Poster apologized. How long does stay with some? Asking seriously because I seen the one comment. We’re there more.

I think we should attempt to try and assume the positive. And see what happens. We (on the internet) have tried to assume the worst or look at someone’s mistake to determine their future thoughts. It only makes us hold grudges.

Wipe the slate clean and start over and see what happens. What can it hurt.

FYI I was involved with that one conversation. I ain’t suggesting you do something I am not willing to do.
I agree with you , but I am not the one that keeps bringing it up. Why are you implying I should move on? I am basically defending myself from subtle backhanders here.

I agree with you , but I am not the one that keeps bringing it up. Why are you implying I should move on? I am basically defending myself from subtle backhanders here.
I’m not implying you should. I’m implying we should.

If it is really is subtle trolls, don’t take the bait. Lets take the high road is all.

With peace and love ❤️

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Scopa Scopa and DietRob DietRob

hUNAo_d.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here's my opinion about status of GAF (vs ERA):

- Much less activity/threads, but still enough action to keep chatter going, but late at night it does tail off as there aren't enough users at that time
- Site needs more people making new threads to keep up discussion
- More genuine and mature discussion
- You won't find too much extreme SJWing, cussing, insults, telling each other to fuck off etc..... when people get mad
- Mods don't threaten a ban hammer over your head for every word you say. It will be dropped on you only if you truly deserve it

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Here's my opinion about status of GAF (vs ERA):

- Much less activity/threads, but still enough action to keep chatter going, but late at night it does tail off as there aren't enough users at that time
- Site needs more people making new threads to keep up discussion
- More genuine and mature discussion
- You won't find too much extreme SJWing, cussing, insults, telling each other to fuck off etc..... when people get mad
- Mods don't threaten a ban hammer over your head for every word you say. It will be dropped on you only if you truly deserve it

Cunth Cunth and I shitposting while the rest of the world sleeps isn’t enough for you?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It doesn't seem like you've moved on Scopa Scopa you are the one bringing up our interaction weeks ago.

It's pretty obvious you are holding on to that interaction. I had moved on and conversation shifted to the ENTIRE board and how to make it to where when people visit they aren't immediately turned off because of strong and ultimately meaningless rhetoric.

But, because you are hung up on that interaction you assumed I'm talking about you or that solitary interaction. I'm not.

In my opinion to improve it a good first step would be the things Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese made a great post about.

Papa

Banned
It doesn't seem like you've moved on Scopa Scopa you are the one bringing up our interaction weeks ago.

It's pretty obvious you are holding on to that interaction. I had moved on and conversation shifted to the ENTIRE board and how to make it to where when people visit they aren't immediately turned off because of strong and ultimately meaningless rhetoric.

But, because you are hung up on that interaction you assumed I'm talking about you or that solitary interaction. I'm not.

In my opinion to improve it a good first step would be the things Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese made a great post about.

I SAID KITH

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hey. Chill out and listen to that baller Sagat theme remix I posted with that pic of me Thai kicking Ryu. :lollipop_kissing_smiling:

What's the general state of GAF right now? Two days ago we had the highest post activity of 2018. Yesterday's post activity blew that out of the water. Everyone's efforts -- the admins, the mods, gracious members of the community volunteering and stepping up like Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese , and everyone else -- have not just warmed my heart. They've mended it. :messenger_heart:

NeoGAF is in many respects better than it's ever been, and the tides are turning rapidly in activity to match that.

Everyone's welcome here...conditionally, respectfully, under the rules and standards we've set. There's no place for self-appointed "enforcers" of the RE variety here.

Lots more fun stuff coming. Stick around and enjoy. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

-T

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Cunth Cunth and I shitposting while the rest of the world sleeps isn’t enough for you?
Oh you were shitposting all that time?

That's news to me.

Hey. Chill out and listen to that baller Sagat theme remix I posted with that pic of me Thai kicking Ryu. :lollipop_kissing_smiling:

What's the general state of GAF right now? Two days ago we had the highest post activity of 2018. Yesterday's post activity blew that out of the water. Everyone's efforts -- the admins, the mods, gracious members of the community volunteering and stepping up like Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese , and everyone else -- have not just warmed my heart. They've mended it. :messenger_heart:

NeoGAF is in many respects better than it's ever been, and the tides are turning rapidly in activity to match that.

Everyone's welcome here...conditionally, respectfully, under the rules and standards we've set. There's no place for self-appointed "enforcers" of the RE variety here.

Lots more fun stuff coming. Stick around and enjoy. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

-T
Nah-ah Tyler, i deserve a special mention for all these great devotions, oh Evilore God.
  • I proposed a new philosophy called Evil's Lore
  • I suggested that in time we move to a new codebase called Malkaveli
  • I invented a new dialogue system that allows a user to respond with a novelle, a ban, nothing at all and Vbucks
  • I am in process of building a shrine for your postings, which should serve as teachings to those new and prosperous.
Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese only is an overweight pensioned police officer chasing a goddamn bandit on a highway, and for multiple movies straight. This Chief Justice is a false prophet, and he should be overthrown.

Why?

Because the true saint, the holy spirit, is YOU, Oh Evilore!!
1412td4.gif

Last edited:

Papa

Banned

That's news to me.

Nah-ah Tyler, i deserve a special mention for all these great devotions, oh Evilore God.
  • I invented a new dialogue system that allows a user to respond with a novelle, a ban, nothing at all and Vbucks
  • I am in process of building a shrine for your postings, which should serve as teachings to those new and prosperous.
Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese only is an overweight pensioned police officer chasing a goddamn bandit on a highway, and for multiple movies straight. This Chief Justice is a false prophet, and he should be overthrown.

Why?

1412td4.gif

Just because I can get my point across in a single paragraph doesn’t mean I’m a shitposter.

😘

That's news to me.

Why?

1412td4.gif
28ta8b.jpg

I take no credit. The hard work is being done by the GAF Staff and community including you Redneckerz Redneckerz

I am simply honored to be part of the community.

BizzyBum

Well I was just banned for an entire week from ERA in that thread about why Ninja shouldn't have won content creator of the year at the TGAs because he's misogynistic saying I understand why he doesn't based on his super stardom on twitch. lol

What's wack is that I've been there an entire year without a single infraction and I don't even get a warning, just a straight up week ban for something so dumb.

Well I was just banned for an entire week from ERA in that thread about why Ninja shouldn't have won content creator of the year at the TGAs because he's misogynistic saying I understand why he doesn't based on his super stardom on twitch. lol

What's wack is that I've been there an entire year without a single infraction and I don't even get a warning, just a straight up week ban for something so dumb.
Welcome back. Promise your return won’t be so frustrating.

On the state of GAF in general - I love that politics has gotten its own forum. I think it has a positive effect in not politizing every non-gaming topic. I like the change!

Papa

Banned
On the state of GAF in general - I love that politics has gotten its own forum. I think it has a positive effect in not politizing every non-gaming topic. I like the change!

I’ve noticed a few people complaining about too much politics in the gaming forum, and I think they’re probably valid complaints. Makes me wonder if it would be worth shifting all politics to the Politics sub. Don’t know how easy that would be to enforce in the gaming section but I think it would make people a lot happier if it could be done. Alternatively, just put a big purple sign saying Gaming Politics Thataway —> and link to Ree.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I’ve noticed a few people complaining about too much politics in the gaming forum, and I think they’re probably valid complaints. Makes me wonder if it would be worth shifting all politics to the Politics sub. Don’t know how easy that would be to enforce in the gaming section but I think it would make people a lot happier if it could be done. Alternatively, just put a big purple sign saying Gaming Politics Thataway —> and link to Ree.
Most of the political gaming threads are topics worth discussing, in my opinion.

I dislike the political posts that muddy otherwise non-political gaming threads, though. I think we could do better as a community by holding our political tongue more often (I am guilty of that, of course).

Papa

Banned
Most of the political gaming threads are topics worth discussing, in my opinion.

I dislike the political posts that muddy otherwise non-political gaming threads, though. I think we could do better as a community by holding our political tongue more often (I am guilty of that, of course).

Yeah, do you think we should keep political gaming threads to the politics sub? Individual posts are a different matter.

DietRob

Wha..... what is this?!?
qTKfCRY.png

GAF has achievements now??.. LMAO. And I've got a bunch. Amazing.
I LOVE IT!! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah, do you think we should keep political gaming threads to the politics sub? Individual posts are a different matter.
In my opinion, moving those threads to Politics would mean they don't get discussed. While I do enjoy some of the discussions in Politics, I view that as a containment board first, discussion board second.

Dragging politics into gaming for no good reason is annoying, but it also offers a chance for insightful posters to speak up and shine some light on things. More dialogue is better than less. More disagreement and discussion is better than less.

Papa

Banned
In my opinion, moving those threads to Politics would mean they don't get discussed. While I do enjoy some of the discussions in Politics, I view that as a containment board first, discussion board second.

Dragging politics into gaming for no good reason is annoying, but it also offers a chance for insightful posters to speak up and shine some light on things. More dialogue is better than less. More disagreement and discussion is better than less.

True. What if there was a general structure like:

Gaming
-> General
-> Politics
-> Community

Off Topic
-> General
-> Politics
-> Community

Should still be in line with the streamlined layout we have currently.

DietRob

You didn't notice them when you first logged back in? Should've had a whole bunch of alerts.
I must have missed them. But yea looks like a lot of them popped on July of this year.
Or it's quite possible I forgot. My memory is shit as I'm turning into an old fart.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I like the structure how it is.... Gaming, OT, Politics.

Gaming should always be it's own section. But if OT and Politics were combined, I wouldn't mind. Combining them into one thread reduces the number of sections to check. And it makes it look like there is more action, even though there isn't. But having twice as much content in one section looks more busy.

Seems like this forum just needed some more lefties, and they're arriving. It's like a wave. The balance seems better than two months ago (vocal posters, don't pull up ghosts).

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I agree. Things related to gaming (even if political in nature) should be in the Gaming discussion. Unless that conversation basically becomes a partisan whine fest about Left Vs. Right, and the discussion about games or gaming becomes secondary, I don't see a reason to move it.

Censorship in Gaming, Unfair Journalism, Increased Tariffs on Games or Gaming Devices, things like that are important to converse about and share opinions. Those conversations would almost instantaneously die in the politics subforum as the folks who primarily browse there don't seen to give a toss about gaming (especially given how rarely half of them even look or converse on such matters to begin with).

Zewp

The politics in the gaming subforum are really killing my desire to keep coming back, tbh. Like look at the Far Cry New Dawn reveal thread. What should have been a thread to speculate about where they're taking the series next, instead became a thread in which people were REEEEEing about there being black females on the cover and "wokeness" and god knows what else. All based on a single covershot with no context.

Can't have a discussion about AC Odyssey, because it's inevitably going to attract the anti-SJWs. Can't have a discussion about The Last of Us 2, because the anti-SJWs will be there seconds later to complain about the SJW agenda allegedly ruining videogames. Etc etc.

I get that politics in videogames is a hot-button topic for some people and I get that they'd like to be able to discuss it. I'll even say that sometimes there are valid conversations (they're in the minority though). So I'm not advocating for banning these discussions. But I do think they should be relegated to a separate subforum, for the same reason Politics and Off-Topic are separate forums. Not all of us care or want to hear about politics in gaming all the time. I get that it's hard and there will always be spillover from the politics forum into the general gaming forum, but it would go a long way towards making it more tolerable to those of us not interested in either SJW or anti-SJW nonsense. My accounts old, but I've only been active for a few months and Gaf, it's getting a bit much. This is a really nice forum and community with a long history behind it, but it feels like when the Resetera folks left, we traded one set of fanatics for another.

I really think that Gaf should create a gaming politics subforum separate from the general gaming forum. If the staff decides against that, then fine. It's your forum and you can run it how you see fit. I'll then set off and find a new forum where (hopefully) there's less politics and accept that Gaf is not for me, with no hard feelings in that regard.
I specifically didn't register on Resetera because I didn't like the highly politicized nature of that place. Now the gaming forum here is also becoming highly politicized. It makes it really hard for someone who just wants to discuss videogames without all the political drama.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

I hear what you're saying and I agree that at times some people really go overboard with what I class as the industry talk (all that goes into the making of games, game creators and games media) versus the games themselves however in truth I'm not entirely convinced that there's enough of a groundswell of populace at present to sustain a split in that regard. Ultimately at the end of the day if you want to talk about the playing of a particular game, then there's a certain onus on you to initiate that and put your thoughts out there. and contribute However as is the nature of things, where a thread goes nobody knows. I've made threads some of which have gained traction and some that have just bombed completely. Thems the breaks.

Papa

Banned
The politics in the gaming subforum are really killing my desire to keep coming back, tbh. Like look at the Far Cry New Dawn reveal thread. What should have been a thread to speculate about where they're taking the series next, instead became a thread in which people were REEEEEing about there being black females on the cover and "wokeness" and god knows what else. All based on a single covershot with no context.

Can't have a discussion about AC Odyssey, because it's inevitably going to attract the anti-SJWs. Can't have a discussion about The Last of Us 2, because the anti-SJWs will be there seconds later to complain about the SJW agenda allegedly ruining videogames. Etc etc.

I get that politics in videogames is a hot-button topic for some people and I get that they'd like to be able to discuss it. I'll even say that sometimes there are valid conversations (they're in the minority though). So I'm not advocating for banning these discussions. But I do think they should be relegated to a separate subforum, for the same reason Politics and Off-Topic are separate forums. Not all of us care or want to hear about politics in gaming all the time. I get that it's hard and there will always be spillover from the politics forum into the general gaming forum, but it would go a long way towards making it more tolerable to those of us not interested in either SJW or anti-SJW nonsense. My accounts old, but I've only been active for a few months and Gaf, it's getting a bit much. This is a really nice forum and community with a long history behind it, but it feels like when the Resetera folks left, we traded one set of fanatics for another.

I really think that Gaf should create a gaming politics subforum separate from the general gaming forum. If the staff decides against that, then fine. It's your forum and you can run it how you see fit. I'll then set off and find a new forum where (hopefully) there's less politics and accept that Gaf is not for me, with no hard feelings in that regard.
I specifically didn't register on Resetera because I didn't like the highly politicized nature of that place. Now the gaming forum here is also becoming highly politicized. It makes it really hard for someone who just wants to discuss videogames without all the political drama.

That cover wasn't just an accident that people are misinterpreting. It's quite obviously pushing the woke agenda, and I think people should be free to discuss that. The point of contention is just whether it should be in the actual game discussion thread or elsewhere.

God Enel

I don’t think splitting up the forum even more is necessary. Maybe just create another thread for the game and discuss the things you mentioned is enough.

Seems like this forum just needed some more lefties, and they're arriving. It's like a wave. The balance seems better than two months ago (vocal posters, don't pull up ghosts).
Dunno about lefties, but all should be welcomed with opened arms. I am Happy either way.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
That cover wasn't just an accident that people are misinterpreting. It's quite obviously pushing the woke agenda, and I think people should be free to discuss that. The point of contention is just whether it should be in the actual game discussion thread or elsewhere.

I was unaware of this.. Had a look at the cover and.. yeah that's pretty much a rad-fem fantasy right there. Two black women holding guns with a male victim tied to a car, by the looks of it either being held hostage or used as target practice. Can't think why anyone might consider that woke...

Kadayi

Banned
I was unaware of this.. Had a look at the cover and.. yeah that's pretty much a rad-fem fantasy right there. Two black women holding guns with a male victim tied to a car, by the looks of it either being held hostage or used as target practice. Can't think why anyone might consider that woke...

The irony is, they've always put the Villians on the cover so why anyone through it was otherwise is beyond me tbh.

plushyp

For every thread which attracts rhetoric, you have 10 other threads in the gaming sub-forum that are discussing the game itself. Are you reporting offending posts that aren't in the spirit of discussion over there? If not report, then don't engage by fueling the fire and giving them attention. Move on because 99% of those buzz word laden posts die down after their initial one and the 1% invariably gets banned down the line.

Zewp

I hear what you're saying and I agree that at times some people really go overboard with what I class as the industry talk (all that goes into the making of games, game creators and games media) versus the games themselves however in truth I'm not entirely convinced that there's enough of a groundswell of populace at present to sustain a split in that regard. Ultimately at the end of the day if you want to talk about the playing of a particular game, then there's a certain onus on you to initiate that and put your thoughts out there. and contribute However as is the nature of things, where a thread goes nobody knows. I've made threads some of which have gained traction and some that have just bombed completely. Thems the breaks.

If there isn't enough of a populace to support a separate politics in gaming sub, then doesn't that say everything? Why is a minority then forcing politics into so many threads in the gaming discussion forum? Like I said, I don't want to take away anyone's ability to discuss politics in videogames, if that's their thing. But at the same time I'd like not to have politics shoved down my throat the entire time.

As for the onus being on me to drive the discussion I want, that's all fair and well. But those threads often just spiral into politics anyway. Would the mods allow us to make threads with a rule of no politics? Because that would be great. But I doubt that's going to fly either.

Thems the breaks.

Never been a fan of this kind of mentality (no offense intended). If the status quo isn't great, challenge it. I think the forum can be greatly improved by catering to both people who want to discuss politics and those who don't.

And I completely disagree that a cover having two black women on it is automatically pushing an agenda. And I have absolutely no interest in discussing such a "talking point". If anyone wants to discuss that, I'm not trying to take that away from anyone. But it would be nice for those of us not interested in the political side of gaming, to be able to discuss games as games. Currently that's not possible for a lot of videogames (see: The Last of Us 2).

Hence why I'm advocating for splitting the political from the general gaming discussions. It's the best of both worlds and nobody has discussions they're not interested in forced on them.

I don’t think splitting up the forum even more is necessary. Maybe just create another thread for the game and discuss the things you mentioned is enough.

And then it'll be a couple of hours before the political posts start flooding in again. I've seen this happen a few times in the last few months.

I was unaware of this.. Had a look at the cover and.. yeah that's pretty much a rad-fem fantasy right there. Two black women holding guns with a male victim tied to a car, I by the looks of it either being held hostage or used as target practice. Can't think why anyone might consider that woke...

...because they're the villains and the reveal trailer makes it very clear that they're awful people? But it might be better for you to take this discussion to the original thread in Gaming Discussions so as not to derail this one with an unrelated topic.

Disclaimer:

I just want to reiterate that I'm not trying to attack anyone in this thread. Sorry if anyone does feel I'm attacking their stances, because that's not my intention. I'm trying to keep my posts very neutral, but I do feel very strongly about the situation. It's really impacting my enjoyment of Gaf that at the drop of a hat, a thread I'm participating in can turn political (and very often does). And I'm sure I'm not the only person, seeing as I see complaints about the highly politicized nature of Gaming Discussions quite often.
I think we can reach a decent compromise that suits everyone, even if it is something as simple as marking threads where political discussions are allowed. If the staff feel differently, then fair enough. It's your forum and I'm only a guest here at the end of the day. In that case, I'll happily go on my way and look for another forum where it's less politicized without any drama or hard feelings towards Gaf.

Top Bottom