• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the deal with Drill Dozer?

Why is it such a bid deal around here? Sorry bout the dumb question, but i just seemed to completely miss out on this game...

Mrbob

I bought it for 10 bucks at best buy, and finished it in a couple hours. Worth to play one time if you can get it on the cheap (less than 10 bucks) as some of the drill mechanics in the level design are cool. But the game is short and replayability is minimal.

Jiggy

Experience is awesome + unique + innovative exactly one time, and then replayability is nil.
So, basically, the platformer equivalent of Valkyrie Profile or Paper Mario 2 or Legend of Zelda WW or Jet Force Gemini or Lunar 2 or Final Fantasy Tactics.

Great levels, loads of technique, rock-solid production values: everything GAF doesn't prize in its gaming regimen (unless it's accompanied by a cereal box mascot or an overendowed anime lolita).

Belfast

It is a tad short, but the individual levels are mostly long. It woulda been awesome if the challenge level of the extra stages was like that throughout the entire game.

jgkspsx

Drinky Crow said:
Great levels, loads of technique, rock-solid production values: everything GAF doesn't prize in its gaming regimen (unless it's accompanied by a cereal box mascot or an overendowed anime lolita).
First, I finished it 100% in about a week of playing an hour or two at a time.

Great bonus levels; long, boring normal levels with spots of brilliance. A decent amount of technique with an almost Resident Evil-level amount of control lag. Terrible production values, useless and worthless bonus items, repetitive music (see the other thread), and horrifically bad art in the cutscenes and menus (though the in-game graphics are pretty good).

(Did I mention that the game is only one step above "platform game construction kit" level, only slightly more tight in its collision detection and sprite/environment interactions than the incredibly sloppy Sigma Star Saga?)

Also, you can unlock outfits (nurse, etc.) for the main character, who is actually supposed to be a little kid. That seems very creepy to me.

I can't believe you guys compromised your anti-wacky-Jappy plank for this. It was fun, but yeesh was it not worth the hype.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Wario64 said:
GBA GOTY (although that doesn't really say much)
ummm Mother 3 (it counts)

and Drill Dozer is another one of those sacred cows that isn't very good but GAF loves for some odd reason, just like SotC and Ouendan.

MoxManiac

I saw a shitload of drilldozers at bestbuy for $10. But I already got it for $9. Thanks CC!

Good game. Creepy characters though

aoi tsuki

A possibly cool concept that fell way short of my expectations.

What happened GAF? i thought you were cool. i ****ing looked up to you. And then i played Drill Dozer.

bonesquad

Drill Dozer is definitely worth spending the 10 bucks on. It's a fun little game... but that's all it is.

Where all this hype is coming from confuses me too... Nintendo's street team at work?

I dig it. (kekeke) At $10, it was just what I needed to recover from the burns I suffered from the weak portable loot I got earlier from Circuit City. (Trace Memory, Dig Dug, Pac Pix, Phantasia)

It is a very well-designed game that is quite fun to play and fits perfectly on the GBA. And the extra levels and challenges you unlock after completing the main game are ACE.

Symytry

I liked the game enough to go through it once. The bonus levels were rather on the bullshit side of the fence at times, and with no real reward for finding all the treasures, the 100% finish isn't necessary.

I grabbed it on the cheap. I recommend that everyone who hasn't yet played the game do the same.

Top Bottom