• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the difference between WWE and Superhero movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

So I've been thinking about this for a while now. Can't get it out of my head. It's seriously hilarious. People love to give wrestling shit for being fake, poorly scripted, and having more grandstanding and quips than actual fighting, all hype. But isn't it the same with the new era of superhero stuff that's super popular now? We're all hyped up to watch a bunch of guys in tights punch each other, knowing full well that they're being manipulated by a stupid bad guy in a suit somewhere.

duckroll

So if WWE upgrades to holographic effects, gets better costumes, and hires Hollywood writers to punch up their dialogue, they could be huge again? Interesting thought.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
As someone who has watched a lot of both, the biggest difference is easily the writing.

I mean, your standard superhero movie isn't exactly Citizen Kane, but it's lightyears ahead of anything the WWE has ever done.

Superhero motivations are generally a bit more gregarious and thought out than your average WWE participant. Plus superhero movies generally don't involve people getting actually physically harmed for recreation. A better comparison for people putting themselves at arbitrary physical risk for our entertainment might be football.

People that like WWE usually enjoy the crowd atmosphere and participation. I don't. It's probably just preference, but all the applause breaks, glaring and talking to the audience, the chanting don't rub me the right way.

If they make a WWE feature film, I'd watch it. (Actually, I really love the wrestling bits in The Wrestler, but that's neither here nor there.)

I don't know if it's connected, but I'm also not big on live theater. I prefer a movie of the same story any day of the week.

Permanently A

So if WWE upgrades to holographic effects, gets better costumes, and hires Hollywood writers to punch up their dialogue, they could be huge again? Interesting thought.

I think everyone would watch the shit out of this.

17djyaF.gif

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

tumblr_npltypJNyy1tfr0v3o1_500.gif

Like something similar to the John Cena super sayian gif above.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I mean when you get down to it, what's the difference between any of that and your standard action movie? Just the costumes?

What's the difference between a comic book movie and Die Hard, for example? You still have one man taking out all the bad guys, doing his quips, etc. What's the difference between Wrestlemania and Enter the Dragon? Aren't the Rocky movies and Dragon Ball Z really the same thing when you get down to it?

The answer is that they're all the same thing, but they're all totally different at the same time.

duckroll

Superhero motivations are generally a bit more gregarious and thought out than your average WWE participant. Plus superhero movies generally don't involve people getting actually physically harmed for recreation. A better comparison for people putting themselves at arbitrary physical risk for our entertainment might be football.

I'm interested in examining the entertainment factor though, not the physical abuse aspect of wrestling. That's a well known problem. What I'm curious about is, at the base level, why are we as people so easily entertained by men in tights making up excuses to beat each other up? There's something about it that just works.

Bronx-Man

Banned
People that like WWE usually enjoy the crowd atmosphere and participation. I don't. It's probably just preference, but all the applause breaks, glaring and talking to the audience, the chanting don't rub me the right way.

If they make a WWE feature film, I'd watch it. (Actually, I really love the wrestling bits in The Wrestler, but that's neither here nor there.)

I don't know if it's connected, but I'm also not big on live theater. I prefer a movie of the same story any day of the week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4vXH2T_AmU

WWE have had memorable villains in the past. I'll be honest, not one MCU movie villain has actually stuck in my mind, but there are several iconic heels WWE have had over the years.

Poyunch

I think there's a dual identity appeal to superheroes that wrestling doesn't have (I think). A lot of heroes get to live in the fantastical world beating up bad guys while coming back to reality with their civilian personas.

You get to have your cake and eat it too sort of.

When I was a little kid and watched wrestling for the first time I remember not liking it that much and that I'd like it a lot more if they had super powers. Although I was thinking specifically more Street Fighter-style powers than superhero at the time.

Cagey

Banned
WWE is "good" bad entertainment. Almost intentionally funny bad at times.

Superhero movies are "awful" bad entertainment. Trash.

When this wave of pan-nerd culture crests and retreats back into the ocean, popular culture will be much better for it.

Sanjuro

I think there's a dual identity appeal to superheroes that wrestling doesn't have (I think). A lot of heroes get to live in the fantastical world beating up bad guys while coming back to reality with their civilian personas.

You get to have your cake and eat it too sort of.

The Hulk Hogan case proved otherwise. Some of these guys need to be on at all times. Brandon Routh doesn't need to be Superman anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom