• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the first album you ever bought? (Or other embarrassing music purchases)

Status
Not open for further replies.

relaxor

what?
Paul Simon - Graceland

graceland1.jpg

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I won the first album I ever owned from a radio station giveaway. It was...

ibhGzIkjFz74ot.jpg

Ugh.

The first album I ever bought was either the Star Wars: Episode 1 soundtrack, Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory, or Busta Rhyme's Genesis. I forget the order.

My first cassette was Bruce Hornsby and the Range's 'The Way It Is.'

My first CD was Nirvana's 'Nevermind.'

My first MP3 album was They Might Be Giants' 'Long Tall Weekend."

it was a two-fer. Got em as a nervous 12 year old at the Fred Meyer music section with my allowance and lawnmowing money. Waited til I knew mom was deep into her grocery list before made my move towards electronics. Was scared the clerk was gonna call me on buying "inappropriate materials" but he didn't give a shit.

digital_underground_sex_packets.jpg

61LSLIBWAwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This was basically the soundtrack for 1990, as far as I was concerned.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Smile by L'Arc~en~Ciel
L%2527Arc%25EF%25BD%259Een%25EF%25BD%259ECiel+-+SMILE.png

Bought at the state fair in an anime tent
by my friend.

Listened to it on repeat while re-reading the last 3 Harry Potter books, so there are at least a few songs that make me think of long nights spent studying up in Gryffindor Tower.

Tlc-Ooooooohhh-on-Tlc-Tip.jpg

Baby, Baby, Baby is still a good track.

RIP Left Eye

I don't give a shit what anyone says - that was a solid album in the era of New Jack Swing

Hat 2 Da Back
Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg
What About Your Friends
Baby Baby Baby

In the days of 8 dollar cassettes, that was a pretty decent hit-to-filler ratio.

first (and last) cassette? HIStory Past, Present and Future Book I

first CD? Reggae Gold '95

first DD purchase... i really don't remember but it was before...

last CD? Soca Escape (<- had to import that from Japan, thank you Amazon.jp!)

eso76

i don't remember the first, but i do remember walking home holding this in my hand

prince~~~~~_lovesexy~_101b.jpg

and being very embarassed.
(awesome album, but i have no idea what Prince was thinking when he came up with that cover)

now this, on the other hand, was embarassing in every possible way, but i had a manly crush for this (bad) guy back then

Freddie_Mercury_Mr._Bad_Guy.jpg

dejay

Banned
First album...
mrOBD.jpg

I still consider it a great album - probably their last good one. I'm not ashamed.

I am, however, less proud of my first single...
cVD58.jpg

Yes, that is a Twisted Sister pin on my uniform.

I don't know if this can be beat. The debut album and magnum opus of Australian Idol runner-up Shannon Noll.
4552643;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultImage

Man, I still love Bring it all Back.

This should be bannable.

turnbuckle

jtfLH.jpg

When I was in 4th grade. Got this and a portable CD player with a bunch of saved up allowance money. Didn't own a second album until TLC's CrazySexyCool came out a few years later.

The CD went through hell and back. It fell out of my backpack or something and was left outside through a winter, and it still worked afterwards. The amount of scratches on that thing was impressive.

MattDoza

Sisqo_unleash_the_dragon.jpg

I was about 12 at the time. I might still have it in a box, somewhere. Willenium was purchased not too long after, in '99. I was so cool.

Outlaw

Banned
Notice that most of the stuff here is pre-2000..... There should be a thread for the youngins called: "what's the first CD you downloaded"

FnordChan

I forget the exact first album I purchased with my own money as opposed to Mom buying something for me, but it probably involved Weird Al on cassette. However, I do fondly remember my first CD purchase:

db2051c88da0b0e5c57ce110.L.jpg

Anthrax's I'm The Man EP, purchased twenty-five years ago. Ah, nostalgia! If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go crank up "I Am The Law" at hearing destroying levels.

I'm The Fnord

Dishwalla

Banned
My first two albums that I bought were Dookie and Americana, at that Fred Meyer way back in 1998. I still hold a lot of love for Dookie, but not so much for Americana(though there's a couple cool songs on the album).

The first tape I ever bought.

MnrbB.jpg

The first CD I ever bought.

3187VY8ZT7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The first vinyl release I ever bought. I only purchased it because it came out a month or so before the CD release.

d4Eyr.jpg

I would post the first digital release I bought, but I honestly don't remember.

cameltoe

Aerosmith's Greatest Hits...

.....Stopped at a friends house on the way home, she was listening to something that was just fucking incredible, something new (at least to me) something fucking heavy! I ask her what she is listening to, "Ride the Lightning" she says. I need this NOW! So I trade her the Aerosmith tape for RTL! And so begins my obsession with Metallica. This was 1985.

I forget the exact first album I purchased with my own money as opposed to Mom buying something for me, but it probably involved Weird Al on cassette. However, I do fondly remember my first CD purchase:

db2051c88da0b0e5c57ce110.L.jpg

Anthrax's I'm The Man EP, purchased twenty-five years ago. Ah, nostalgia! If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go crank up "I Am The Law" at hearing destroying levels.

I'm The Fnord

Holy shit I remember this EP. Basically the Run DMC-Aerosmith thing had everyone rapping.

Tawpgun

Never bought albums ever. Used to just get everything from downloads/limewire.

But the first album I actually bought to support it was The Resistance when it came out.

220px-Theresistance.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom