• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the greatest television series of all time?

What's the greatest television series of all time?

• Breaking Bad

Votes: 44 26.8%
  • The Sopranos

Votes: 20 12.2%
  • The Wire

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • Better Call Saul

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Succession

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Mad Men

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Other (share)

Votes: 66 40.2%

• Total voters
Short Series
- Band of Brothers
- The Pacific
- Chernobyl
- True Detective (S1)
Complete Series
- Breaking Bad
- The Sopranos
- Mr. Robot
- Seinfeld
- The Wire

I haven’t seen every tv show that other people have listed but I feel like these bring great quality from beginning to end. The X-Files is one of my favs but it should have ended after 6-7 seasons. If it concluded well I would easily put it up there near the top.
I absolutely loved season 1 of Mr. Robot. Everything about it: the concept, the execution, the willingness to break the status quo every. single. episode.

How do you view the series as a whole? Because I felt like it slowed down wayyyyyy too much after season one. We were getting world-changing events every episode, and after that, I just remember a slow scenes focusing on characters I didn't find interesting with stakes that were lower, rather than higher, than what had come before.

Mr1999

There have been only two shows, maybe 3 with Lost that had me feel like I was living a double life, Sopranos is #1 in my opinion, followed by Battlestar Galactica, but there are shows like Rome or Game of thrones that could beat it for #3 spot. I wish they could erase my memory so I could encounter it again.

Three's Company?

One of my favorite shows. Three's company, all in the family.

off the top of my head.

Sopranos
Rome
Oz
Battlestar Galactica
Deathnote
Full Metal Alchemist
American Horror Story
Lost
Lexx
Star Trek TNG
Survivor
The Great Pottery Throw Down
Fake or Fortune
Naked and Afraid
Mr Reddit
Spartacus early season, but also watched it all.
Masters of Horror
Tales from the Crypt
The First 48
The X-files
Beavis and Butthead
Threes Company
All in the Family
Forged in Fire

just a name a few and still Sopranos beats them all in my opinion. Battlestar Galactica is close 2nd, no better scifi show out imo, The whole Gaius Baltar angle with number 6. Where have the good shows gone... The expanse is nice, i also liked silo? but gave up after 4 episodes, they need to go back, kate /rant

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Deadwood not being mentioned in the OP means OP has not watched Deadwood. OP, go watch Deadwood. And...

upload_2018-11-7_15-51-6-gif.700118

Durien

In addition,
I really liked Ozark. I don't think I have watched a show where I despised almost all of the characters involved and kept watching.

Last edited:

MacReady13

The X Files. I could put in The Simpsons (1st 8-9 seasons), Seinfeld, Twin Peaks. But at the end of the day, I love The X Files more than any other.

midnightAI

I think I have to counter all this 'Murica...

Red Dwarf (so good it's the second time I've mentioned it)
Planet Earth
The Two Ronnie's
Blackadder
Doctor Who
Top Gear (and The Grand Tour)
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Porridge
Only Fools and Horses
Open All Hours
Fatty Owls, I mean Flowery Twats, I mean Fatty Towels....... that would be Fawlty Towers
Peaky Blinders

And while maybe not up there with the best, some of my faves:
Misfits
Ripper Street
Utopia
The Mighty Boosh
The IT Crowd
Last of the Summer Wine
Clarksons Farm
Plebs
Friday Night Dinner
The Inbetweeners
Brassic (set near my home town)
Bottom
The Young Ones

I think we do comedy really well

Last edited:
I absolutely loved season 1 of Mr. Robot. Everything about it: the concept, the execution, the willingness to break the status quo every. single. episode.

How do you view the series as a whole? Because I felt like it slowed down wayyyyyy too much after season one. We were getting world-changing events every episode, and after that, I just remember a slow scenes focusing on characters I didn't find interesting with stakes that were lower, rather than higher, than what had come before.
I’ve actually started my third rewatch of Mr Robot this week. Halfway through season 1 right now and it is definitely still as good as i remember. It’s been about a year since I watched the series so I’ll have to come back around to this question in time to give you a fresh outlook assessment. I do recall season 2-3 being on point with some of my favorite episodes, but 4 did have some bumps but finished strong.
Elliot season 1 was mostly his addiction, coming up with the plan, and executing the plan. Kicking the hornets nest without realizing what’s was to come.
But it will be interesting revisiting Season 4 again and see how it feels now!

GladiusFrog

Raised on the streets of Bmore, The Wire it is for me, Every season nailed the different aspects of corruption and crime perfectly.

That show is so nail on the head it is damn near a documentary.

Breaking Bad winning these kinds of polls always depresses me. It's not even on the same tier as the best show on this list, let alone being the greatest of all time.
It's all the average consumer has been bro. Can't blame plebs for not having older and greater TV be more accessible to them.

Hudo

Star Trek: The Next Generation
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Seinfeld
The West Wing (although the later seasons were mid)
Top Gear (Clarkson Era) and some episodes from The Grand Tour
Rome (fuck everyone who was involved in the cancellation)
Mindhunter
Cowboy Bebop
Space Dandy
Culombo
Scrubs

If Mini-series are also allowed:
Chernobyl
Band of Brothers
John Adams
Generation Kill

Seinfeld. Hands down

Seinfeld Soup GIF

george costanza seinfeld GIF

Freaking Out George Costanza GIF

Frank Costanza Seinfeld GIF by MOODMAN

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF
In terms of real-life cultural impact in the United States, I think it might be Seinfeld. I think it made people more comfortable indulging in their personal neuroses.

It also gave names to social experiences or made observations lots of people could relate to and maybe never explicitly called out before the show, like:
"double-dipping"
"close talkers"
"yada yada yada"
"shrinkage"
"re-gifting"
"low talkers"
"man hands"

terms that originated with the show and still get used today.

Last edited:

Winter John

Just based on how many kids it educated and entertained I gotta say Sesame Street is the greatest show of all time. When Bowie, Lou Reed and Lemmy died I was all sad n shit, but when Jim Henson died that was a legit tear in the eye moment.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Seinfeld
The West Wing (although the later seasons were mid)
Top Gear (Clarkson Era) and some episodes from The Grand Tour
Rome (fuck everyone who was involved in the cancellation)
Mindhunter
Cowboy Bebop
Space Dandy
Culombo
Scrubs

If Mini-series are also allowed:
Chernobyl
Band of Brothers
John Adams
Generation Kill
Fresh prince of Bel Air should have never even been filmed.

Davesky

Not a GOAT but wanted to mention it, I miss old style directing with focus on the dialogue over stylistic and entertaining scenes.

X6RKlnT.jpg

Corian33

Bears, beets, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

The show had it all. Cool story, cool visuals, politics, intrigue, battles of all kinds. Addressed contemporary issues and perennial ones. Had fascinating character arcs and wasn’t afraid to kill off a few important ones.

Not a perfect show but it had great acting, a compelling premise, and a huge variety of episodes and stories to tell.

Top Bottom