• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the greatest television series of all time?

What's the greatest television series of all time?

• Breaking Bad

Votes: 44 26.8%
  • The Sopranos

Votes: 20 12.2%
  • The Wire

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • Better Call Saul

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Succession

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Mad Men

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Other (share)

Votes: 66 40.2%

• Total voters
I think that the greatest television series is the original Twilight Zone (1959-1964). However, my favorite has to be Sliders (1995-2000). It is about a Physics major student named Quinn Mallory that invents a device that opens a portal to parallel Earths. Before it has all its quirks worked out he invites his professor and his best friend to a demonstration that goes haywire and throws them and a has-been Motown singer that was passing by unto another Earth with no way to get back. The premise of the show is they travel across many different Earths with historical deviations looking for a way to get back home. I absolutely love it and own the DVD set.

Last edited:
Going by the choices offered on the poll, I can't really choose between Mad Men and Breaking Bad. I loved them both from beginning to end and never thought either one jumped the shark at any point.

I tried to get into The Wire, no doubt it's a fantastic show, but... I guess there was no way it could live up to the hype after so many people shoving "omg best show of all time!" up my ass for so long.
That happens whenever something gets overhyped. Stephen king talked about it back when the last Harry Potter book came out.

"It's a good book but people are not being objective about how good it actually is" or something like that.

Short Series
- Band of Brothers
- The Pacific
- Chernobyl
- True Detective (S1)
Complete Series
- Breaking Bad
- The Sopranos
- Mr. Robot
- Seinfeld
- The Wire

I haven’t seen every tv show that other people have listed but I feel like these bring great quality from beginning to end. The X-Files is one of my favs but it should have ended after 6-7 seasons. If it concluded well I would easily put it up there near the top.
I agree on Seinfeld

bender

What time is it?
4KUB.gif

TwiztidElf

SOUTH PARK
(and it's not even close).

followed by:
Married With Children
The Office (both US and UK)

This year has delivered bigtime with
One Piece live action, and
Wheel of Time season 2.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
Breaking Bad’s felina hit me really hard, but in retrospect, there is a LOT of filler.

Remember when Walter Jr set up that donation website? Or all those episodes with Jesse’s girlfriend? Or when Walt’s brother in law transferred to another job for a few episodes?

It was fine for a first watching, but there is just too much fat for a rewatch.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Great entertainment, but doesn’t belong on the same list as The Wire. Sadly, many people lack the attention span or critical thinking skills required to fully appreciate such a masterpiece. It’s like asking a child to pick between newsnight and an episode of Paw Patrol.
The Wire GIF

The wire was just something else the way it all ties together. Character stories and the ending. It felt more focused in a smaller slice and yet grander in scale than breaking bad.

Last edited:

Dark Star

I've seen Breaking Bad like 5 times. Never gets old for me. Better Call Saul is fkng good too. Vince Gilligan, man.

Also a huge fan of The Sopranos. Though it's an incredibly dirty show lol.

Anyone else love LOST? It's kind of family friendly and only the last season is batshit insane.

Can't forget sitcoms like Seinfeld. I think Seinfeld is the most consistently good show and didn't overstay it's welcome. It may be the best thing to ever air on TV. My parents love it. I love it. I'm sure my future children will find it hilarious too even though it will be VERY dated by then.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Question for Seinfeld fans...

Seinfeld was the biggest comedy in America in 1998.

In 2003, Two and a Half Men comes out and becomes Americas biggest comedy.

What happened in those 5 years?

yansolo

game of thrones would be up there but the final season pretty much destroyed it, its amazing how game of thrones was all people would talk about for a while and after the last season it was pretty much forgotten in an instant

for me i'd say top 3 are the sopranos, breaking bad and better call saul

seinfeld, curb your enthusiasm and the simpsons (golden age) are the best comedy shows

Breaks my heart how unpopular Saul was

Enjoyed exactly 0% of the pop culture relevance and wave as breaking bad. Got about 1/6th of the viewership (in millions). Each season saw a drop in viewers too, the inverse of breaking bad. I thought it was just as good as BB just in a different way.

Breaking Bad winning these kinds of polls always depresses me. It's not even on the same tier as the best show on this list, let alone being the greatest of all time.
You'll get over it. Its an excellent show and the writing team was damn talented and worked their asses off to craft something raw and compelling for the audience

I don't think its like an MCU movie where its popular because it hits with the braindead, just got home from my soul sucking 9-5, simple, NPC, Normie audience. I think its one of the few pieces of media that satisfies both the most base casuals and a critically thinking audience.

Last edited:
Great entertainment, but doesn’t belong on the same list as The Wire. Sadly, many people lack the attention span or critical thinking skills required to fully appreciate such a masterpiece. It’s like asking a child to pick between newsnight and an episode of Paw Patrol.
Did you just equate breaking bad to paw patrol in your analogy sir

Top Bottom