• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the "one new thing" Nintendo could add to the N64 Mini (like Star Fox 2) ?

F-zero x dd stuff is really the only thing that makes sense. Everything else has been widely available or probably was never far enough in development to warrant releasing

Edit: and even without rare an n64 mini still can get a good line up

Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2 or 3
Paper Mario
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Puzzle League
Kirby 64 Crystal Shards
Yoshi's Story
F-Zero X (with dd expansion)
Castlevania 64 or it's sequel
Bomberman 64
Super Smash Bros
Pilot Wings 64
Excite Bike 64
Mega Man 64
Zelda OoT/Master Quest
Zelda MM
Star Fox 64
Sin and Punishment
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis

That's over 20 right there, curate out a few of the meh titles like pilotwings 64 and castlevania 64 and you can easily make a 15 or 20 game library of n64 games.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon needs to be on there. I'd replace Mega Man 64 with it (since Legends is superior).

_Ryo_

Earthbound 64.

Animal Crossing 64. (Think this actually released in Japan only on N64)

Super Mario 64 DD expansion.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
N64DD games like Mario Artist and F-Zero Expansion Kit
Localized versions of Animal Crossing and Doshin the Giant (based on GC releases).
Zelda Master Quest
Banjo Kazooie and Tooie with Stop n Swop

The others are a bit pipe dreamy but Master Quest and maybe the DD games I can see since they already exist.

Sin and Punishment would be an easy but cool one too.

Edit - Ooh, here'd be a fun one...

Compatibility with a GameBoy Classic for Pokemon Stadium.

Bolded was my first though, actually go back and implement the stop n swop, could be amazing after all these years.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Maybe GoldenEye with a stable framerate in multiplayer.

Online MP is probably a fridge too far.

MAtgS

Resident Evil 2 would be an amazing addition if Nintendo was willing to include such a violent game.

Beegeous

If what was talked about back in the day in ONM was true, the real Ura Zelda add on for OoT which would have added new areas/dungeons.

Supast4r

F-zero x dd stuff is really the only thing that makes sense. Everything else has been widely available or probably was never far enough in development to warrant releasing

Edit: and even without rare an n64 mini still can get a good line up

Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2 or 3
Paper Mario
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Puzzle League
Kirby 64 Crystal Shards
Yoshi's Story
F-Zero X (with dd expansion)
Castlevania 64 or it's sequel
Bomberman 64
Super Smash Bros
Pilot Wings 64
Excite Bike 64
Mega Man 64
Zelda OoT/Master Quest
Zelda MM
Star Fox 64
Sin and Punishment
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis

That's over 20 right there, curate out a few of the meh titles like pilotwings 64 and castlevania 64 and you can easily make a 15 or 20 game library of n64 games.
No pokemon stadium is a travesty...

FyreWulff

unfortunately most of the interesting cancelled stuff was licensed, like Robotech 64, or was made by a now outside developer, like Twelve Tales and Dinosaur Planet.

The easiest one would likely be F-Zero Xpansion.

It'd be cool if they could get the prototypes / alphas of Ocarina of Time in there and present it as a historical curiosity, but I don't think we even know if Nintendo kept copies of those builds.

Metroid 64 early demos (if they ever existed).

Seriously though, the fact that we can't get most RARE games with this would make N64 mini very underwhelming.

Recall

unfortunately most of the interesting cancelled stuff was licensed, like Robotech 64, or was made by a now outside developer, like Twelve Tales and Dinosaur Planet.

The easiest one would likely be F-Zero Xpansion.

The F-Zero expansion would be amazing.

FyreWulff

Metroid 64 early demos (if they ever existed).

Seriously though, the fact that we can't get most RARE games with this would make N64 mini very underwhelming.

i think this is the earliest known shot of Prime

Metroid-Prime-Third-Person-Screenshot.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They should put a handful of 64DD titles on there.

They effectively don't exist for the majority of the world, so I think that would be huge and generate headlines similar to StarFox 2.

Alpha_eX

What's with people begging for online play on the N64, it had 4 controller ports for a reason. The biggest and most exciting thing about the N64 for me was sitting around a screen with 3 friends, why take that away, it's not retro and that's what these mini consoles are - retro.

EmSeta

They really need to make some enhancements to make the games playable today – resolution, frame rate, etc. N64 games haven't aged well. At all.

Releasing it with GoldenEye at all would be a bigger miracle (and a far more impactful one) than Star Fox 2.

Realistically: localized Sin & Punishment is set to be unobtainable at this point, with the Wii shop going down and the Wii U hardware discontinued. It may show up if VC on the Switch finally happens, but it would effectively be an exclusive on a prospective N64 Classic, playable on the original controller for the first time, and is an inclusion I absolutely see happening if an N64 Classic materializes at all.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
There was a Metroid planned for N64 by an external developer (my guess is DMA Design).

I thought it was Retro making the N64 game that eventually turned into Prime on the GC?

Releasing it with GoldenEye at all would be a bigger miracle (and a far more impactful one) than Star Fox 2

Agree, it would definitely be the killer app, considering how beloved its multiplayer was. A would be a very notable absentee, most people probably aren't aware of the rights situation so it could lead to a lot of the N64 fanbase being pissed off.

I still think the N64 mini would be essential even without the Rare catalogue, but many others wouldn't.

Beegeous

I thought it was Retro making the N64 game that eventually turned into Prime on the GC?

Agree, it would definitely be the killer app, considering how beloved its multiplayer was. A would be a very notable absentee, most people probably aren't aware of the rights situation so it could lead to a lot of the N64 fanbase being pissed off.

There was always talk back in the day (Metroid using the OoT engine, etc) but there was never anything confirmed or shown. The earliest post-Super Metroid Metroid footage was the stuff with the dodgy framerate from the unveiling of the GCN.

WWE updating No Mercy with current talent is the only realistic idea I have.

Make games run natively in 16:9.

Include four controllers with built-in Rumble and Controller Paks.

Localise Animal Crossing.

Earthbound 64? Did that get deep enough in development?

I think Nintendo will do everything in their power to get GoldenEye 007.

They could put Virtual Boy games on it!

Madao

64DD F-Zero is the obvious choice.

first post wins the thread.

the F-Zero X Expansion Kit i the only SF2-caliber thing they've got on N64 with a similar potential impact. this is the Mario Maker of the F-Zero series basically (minus online features for obvious reasons)

ibrahima

Banned
A cartridge slot.

This was asked several times over around the release of the nes classic, to the point of it becoming something that you would roll your eyes at in response. Having read through this thread I think having a cartridge slot would provide half an answer to those desperate for Goldeneye whilst avoiding the rights issue.

It would also be a "hey we listened to your feedback about your favourite game not being on the system" kind of thing. Although it would open up a quagmire of compatibility issues, particularly since N64 emulation sometimes requires per game compatibility fixes on low spec hardware.

It is arguably far less likely than 64DD extras like F Zero X, but outside of there being an unknown, unreleased first party game ready to be put on the system I would struggle to think of anything else that would be vaguely feasible.

The other possibility would be if they added something to an existing game that called back to old rumours and fan theories, like finding the triforce in Ocarina of Time or playing as Luigi in Mario 64, but again this would be really pushing it, since it would require 20 year old development resources being resurrected from the dead.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
F-Zero X Expansion Pack, the other options, Zelda OoT MQ and Sin & Punishment were already distributed through several channels. Other candidates that were named here are just non-existent, like e.g. Mario 64-2

Top Bottom