• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

agrajag said:
But I've always been told that you need to take breaks in between workouts anyway, so your muscles can recover?

Right, that's why with P90X you only do dedicated resistance training for a muscle group once per week. Just because you exercised your chest on Monday doesn't mean you have to wait until Wed or Thurs to exercise a completely separate part of your body.

I finished my first round of P90X about two weeks ago and lost close to 30 pounds during the process. I gained a lot more muscle definition, but I did lose some overall muscle size in my chest since even though doing a ton of push-ups is good, it's not the same as bench-pressing twice a week which is what I was doing before. I'm just now starting up a second pass of the program, but this time I'm going to throw in some bench-pressing on chest days.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
When I first started, I still hit the gym to do free weights once or twice a week. Its managable.

big_z

my brother is doing it and has about 2 weeks left. he follows the plan exactly because his OCD will drive him nuts otherwise. so far the results are pretty good. i think you could get better results doing actual weights but for most people this is a simple method to get in decent shape.
the downside to the program is you need a fair bit of space and a lot of time. the excersice is the short part, prepairing food takes forever. expect to take a day off doing nothing but cook food for the coming week. some of the food, especially early on is fucking disgusting too. i figure most people give up the first 2-3 weeks... you need lots of dedication with this one.

EzLink

Banned
Just youtube "P90X results". Some of them are damn impressive. I also know a guy doing it, and it's made a huge difference. I'd say go for it.

Chairhome

I'm actually starting it a second time. I finished the whole program a few months ago (I took a few weeks break in between 2nd and 3rd phase due to minor surgery) and at the end I ended up 12 pounds lighter (I didn't weigh that much to begin with) and I felt a lot more fit. Its a wonderful program. The problem I had is that I didn't have the discipline to keep working out on my own and my diet started going bad again.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a health plan included that is portion based. It tells you how many portions of carbs, proteins, etc you should be taking every day. It even has recipes if you want to follow it... I just stuck with the portions. The biggest help for me was that I stopped drinking soda. I started back up again and gained some weight back, so I'm limiting myself now, haha. I have a friend who followed a stricter diet than I did (chicken caesar salad almost every day for lunch) and his results were incredible and blew mine out of the water. Seriously had the six pack and looked really muscular.

If you can commit to the schedule and improve your current diet (if needed), you will see (and feel) results within the first few weeks. Big motivation: Take pics of yourself before each phase and compare to see the results yourself. This is suggested by the program and absolutely helps. A friend of mine used his "before" picture as his Desktop Wallpaper and it helped push him to work out more, haha. Another suggestion: Start it with a group of friends so you can compare results. Its more fun when you have people to talk to about the videos, too. I guarantee you will be quoting this guy, my wife like to think he's like Michael Scott from the Office.

And as always, do your best, and forget the rest!

Don't really need to add on much more than what's already been said other than I don't think you need a ton of space, maybe a 10' x 10' area or so, a living room without a coffee table would be fine. I already had free weights so I just bought the cheap Iron Gym pull-up bar at Target for $30.

I did it for about 2 months then our baby came early so I had to quit but I could definitely see a big difference. Some of you in your college years or early 20's might have gym partners but I don't really have any so it was great for something I could do by myself. I'm terrible at motivating myself at the gym so I thought Tony did a pretty good job of getting me motivated by myself at home.

My wife and I are going to start it when she's fully recovered from the delivery so I'll be starting again most likely in 2-4 weeks.

So here is my situation. I am a runner. I am in very good shape cardio-wise. I run 5 times a week, 5-6 miles a time (sometimes a bit more). I'm 5-11, weigh about 160 pounds. I definitely have some fat that's hanging around that I just cannot lose with running alone.

I also have no trouble eating a punishingly boring diet. I am disciplined when it comes to food and I'd have no trouble being even more so.

I'm also disciplined at exercising on a regular basis. If I decided to get up at 5am every day for 90 days and do P90x, I would do it. I'd never talk myself out of it.

My problem is I have no strength at all. I never have. So I'm worried that if I tried to start this, I'd be too weak even at the beginning to get over that. What then?

My other question is about equipment. I'd do this in my basement, where I have a wide open space and a pull-up bar. I've got a TV and DVD player down there. I do have some assorted dumbbells. What else do I need? I don't understand how these people on youtube are getting these results without lots of equipment.

OmniGamer

I started on July 1st...i'm just about to finish my 3rd week and do my first "recovery" week, then i'm taking my first 30 day before and after pics.

I've worked out before, my most drastic results being in 2004 when i lost 80 pounds over the course of about 10-11 months. I've posted some comparison pics before. However about 2 years later, due to loss of dedication, and two seperate leg injuries(ankle and foot), i put about half of it back on. Last year I started up again and was getting in good shape, then I hit a huge financial hurdle and just fell out of everything...3rd and 4th quarter of last year and the beginning of this year i was regressing pretty badly. I tried to start up things again on my own, but i wasn't going anywhere at all...so after i got an email on a good deal for the P90X system, I decided to jump on it and give it a shot.

I was strongly curious before, but, you know...informercials and exercise programs/equipment don't exactly inspire confidence...but the fact that it's been a while, and their new infomercial called "The Proof", as well as a good number of "real people" progress vids on youtube, seems to show good results, I decided jump in.

To be honest, the fact that a lot of the "before" pics of the people advertised in the infomercial, from my perspective, weren't bad off to start with, was slightly intimidating. Most of them are already fit...flat stomach, etc...they're just now much more ripped and more defined. I didn't see to many "before"s built like me to gauge their progress. My body type is tall, I have muscular legs...not so much arms and shoulders, kinda muscular chest, but stores fat, as well as my midsection. I'm 6'6" and currently 241lbs. Highest ever was 279 in late '03, lowest was 199 in late '04. But i don't care so much about the numbers(composition is what matters), I just want a lean midsection, sixpack if possible.

But as for the program itself, i'm enjoying it. It can be kind of a grind sometimes, but i'm liking the challenge. I feel like i'm pushing myself. I'm sweating a ridiculous amount each time, especially during Plyometrics, holy hell! Ab ripper X is also brutal, but i'm improving, so that's encouraging.

If I feel at the end of 90 days that i've gotten favorable results, I plan to keep on with the program, probaly doing the "Doubles" version first which adds more cardio 3 times a week, and then the P90X Plus program.

Diet wise i'm doing well...I never have a problem eating well...i just also love to eat not-so-well! I got a head start by buying lots of frozen Chicken Breast, canned chicken breasts, lean burgers, veggies, beans, etc, from BJs at the start. My body type sucks so I'm trying to really cut out as much carbs as possible to maximize my fat loss, while somehow not shortchanging my energy levels and muscle recovery/growth. It sucks...wish i were skinny and just had to worry about bulking up.

Z_Y

mac said:
If you are going to watch infomercials you should be watching Shoperotic. Two dirty birdies (Miyoko pictured) give all the details about how new and freaky dildos work. They aren't afraid to say the really sexy stuff, such as male dildos are made to be larger to accommodate the extra size.

miyokofujimori.jpg

I swear, the show is better than posing as a county health official and duping teenagers over the phone to describe their sex lives and genital health.
1 recommendation for Shop Erotic. And :lol at that last part.

I haven't tried p90 so I shouldn't comment. But I'm under the impression that it's not a strength training routine. It's just about cutting. Although I could probably use a cut...I enjoy free weights too much to hang them up for a few months.

Treo360

P90X works. I use it to get into shape before my hockey season starts and use the Module X Stretch before every game.

Oh and Ab ripper X is brutal.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Fleet of Foot said:
My problem is I have no strength at all. I never have. So I'm worried that if I tried to start this, I'd be too weak even at the beginning to get over that. What then?

I'm guessing you aren't any weaker than I was when I started. All you need to do is start with low weights for the exercises that use them, but the majority of the exercises use your body weight as the resistance. The videos do a nice job of showing you alternative ways to do "modified" versions of the exercises if you think the normal way is too difficult to start. When I popped in that first DVD, I couldn't even do one full pull-up. Three weeks later I can do a half dozen. Not great, but an obvious improvement.

My other question is about equipment. I'd do this in my basement, where I have a wide open space and a pull-up bar. I've got a TV and DVD player down there. I do have some assorted dumbbells. What else do I need? I don't understand how these people on youtube are getting these results without lots of equipment.

Honestly, all you need are a couple sets of dumbbells, a pullup bar, and a yoga mat. It is pretty amazing how hard you can work just using your body weight.

baultista

Banned
bishoptl said:
Doesn't seem like anything truly groundbreaking. Anyone tried it?
There's really nothing "new" in P90x. It's just a well put together collection of existing exercises.

My only complaint about it is that it's really top heavy. If you're an out-of-shape wannabe athlete or if you just care about the look it's fine. If you're interested in becoming more athletic it's a good start, but your legs won't be nearly as strong as you'll need for running or skating.

Fleet of Foot said:
So here is my situation. I am a runner. I am in very good shape cardio-wise. I run 5 times a week, 5-6 miles a time (sometimes a bit more). I'm 5-11, weigh about 160 pounds. I definitely have some fat that's hanging around that I just cannot lose with running alone.

I also have no trouble eating a punishingly boring diet. I am disciplined when it comes to food and I'd have no trouble being even more so.

I'm also disciplined at exercising on a regular basis. If I decided to get up at 5am every day for 90 days and do P90x, I would do it. I'd never talk myself out of it.

You should be good with assorted dumbbells, preferably 5-35 pounds for your case (if you were stronger I might recommend 40s and 45s).

But this program isn't really for getting much bulk, more for just building some strength and sculpting/defining. It *might* be possible if you have heavy weights but even then I don't think you could get huge.

But yes, it will be super difficult at first if you don't have a lot of strength, a lot of cases they want you to do another program beforehand but you can at least try the fitness test. If you can do a few pushups and pullups you'll be fine, they show you modified ways of doing everything a bit easier and you of course don't have to push out as many as Tony and some of the real strong dudes (and chicks) do.

Lastly, you'd be surprised at how strong you can get from such simple moves as pushups and pullups. Everyone thinks you need to bench but pushups and pullups are amazing upper body moves, especially on this they do what seems like a thousand different variations of pushups and pullups.

tenritsu

Banned
It looks really interesting, and I am raring for an asskicking... but the price tag seems a bit too much :\

Edit: Eh, that's what I get for looking at amazon only... it's not too bad.

So, how effective would this be if I wasn't able to follow the diet parts? And, is it necessary to have all that equipment? As it stands now I have one of those exercise mats and 2 10 pound weights only.

snacknuts

we all knew her
tenritsu said:
It looks really interesting, and I am raring for an asskicking... but the price tag seems a bit too much :\

Edit: Eh, that's what I get for looking at amazon only... it's not too bad.

You can probably find plenty of these on Craigslist for like $70 or so.

bishoptl said:
Doesn't seem like anything truly groundbreaking. Anyone tried it?

Nothing groundbreaking--its just a repackaging, like most fitness systems for the past decade.

That doesn't mean it's BAD, it's just the latest hot thing. People go WOW when you actually work hard every workout and go on a diet and get results. Really, people, you can get results on ANY workout plan if you work smart and hard, and eat right.

But for what it's worth, if it gets people moving, then good. It's more of a conditioning/general "I want to lose weight/be in shape" sort of thing than anything else.

jason10mm said:
The wife and I use it. Pretty good results, though I don't stick to the diet that closely, so while I am putting on muscle, I am not losing weight as fast as I could.

There is nothing particularly unique about the program, it is designed to use mostly body weight and aerobic exercises to give you a hard core work-out in 60 minutes. I have a pull-up bar and the bands, there are only a few times I wish I had dumbbells.

Tony has a lot of class instruction under his belt and his personality carries across the DVDs. He is good at getting you motivated, knows right when to remind you about form or when to take a break, and the rotation of exercises is just right to keep you from being totally whipped.

They are HARD though, especially if you are out of shape. If I skip a week, coming back is just as hard (esp legs/back, that one is BRUTAL).

He uses other participants to demonstrate variations (yummmm, sophia and dreya....:p) and generate energy.

Bottom line, p90x will do nothing that you couldn't do on your own or at a gym, there are no magic secrets. But it is basically a personal trainer on tape, and the wide variety keep you from getting totally bored. But if you are not motivated to put in the disc or if you don't make the time for it, then it is pointless. You WILL sweat, and if you are not careful, you can get hurt.

Basically this.

Blackhead

Redarse
mac said:
I swear, the show is better than posing as a county health official and duping teenagers over the phone to describe their sex lives and genital health.
:lol wat!? Tell me that didnt actually happen!? G?A?F?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I use the ab ripper and the shoulders workout when I cant make it to the gym, and it works my body to serious burn... I already have the motivation to go hard at the gym so I dont need these programs, but for someone that needs structure this is a great way to get results.

I got my cousin on this and he is a changed man, seriously... quit drinking and everything... it works.

skyfinch

Doesn't matter what it is, as long as you cross your arms over your chest, forming an "X" each time you say it. P90 ( cross arms over chest) X, bitches!

Replicant

Treo360 said:
Oh and Ab ripper X is brutal.

Everytime I do Fifer Scissors I want to scream "Bloody murder" at my TV screen. That shit is painful and the way Tony counting it slooooooowly just prolongs the pain.

I want to do the other exercises but I don't have a pull up bar and even if I do buy one that you stick into the door frame, I'm not sure if it's a good idea since I don't want to destroy my door frame.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Replicant said:
Everytime I do Fifer Scissors I want to scream "Bloody murder" at my TV screen. That shit is painful and the way Tony counting it slooooooowly just prolongs the pain.

I want to do the other exercises but I don't have a pull up bar and even if I do buy one that you stick into the door frame, I'm not sure if it's a good idea since I don't want to destroy my door frame.

Its not really that bad for the door frame.. I will tell you that the padding on the grips will scuff the walls... so have some stuff handy to clean off the walls or wrap a towel around the grips..

OmniGamer

Replicant said:

Ditto!!! Hate Fifer scissors...i'm a tall mofo too and most of my height is in my legs, which aren't skinny(as noted, i have muscular legs), so doing them makes me feel like i'm wearing cement shoes or something. The Mason twists also kill me, but i'm improving...used to barely get to 10 without taking a first pause...now i'm over 20 before taking a pause.

Another note...what i liked about the P90X program is that it didn't try to sell itself as "easy" like so many do. "Just 10 mins a day" "Only 3 days a week" "Superfast results", etc. It tells you, hey look, you gotta show up, ready and willing to work hard an hour each day(hour and a half for yoga), 6 days a week, for 90 days(minimum)!

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Replicant said:

That guy in the back uses resistance bands for all of his pull up exercises. I think you could do it with a door attachment for the resistance bands.

I just started this week. It's pretty brutal. But as others have said Tony does a good job motivating you and the hour flies by.

Replicant

OmniGamer said:
The Mason twists also kill me, but i'm improving...used to barely get to 10 without taking a first pause...now i'm over 20 before taking a pause.

I finally managed to get up to 40 without a pause but I always end up with bugged eyes and half-dead expression a few minutes afterward. Thankfully it's the last movement in the exercise.

kurahadol

My brother has been doing it for 2 weeks and I've dabbed into it this week (not officially started, just wanted to try it out a bit). I finished the back and chest exercise day and I'm in absolute pain. I don't want to start this officially until I move out into my own apartment next month and can stick to my own diet easily, but I will definitely be doing it. My brother keeps crying about how hard plyometrics is :lol

For right now I'll just stick to going to the gym and building some strength from that. To people who are doing it, did anyone start doing pullups with assistance from a chair? I can do like 4 or 5 with no assistance, but I almost feel like that's not enough and should use the chair at a distance to do more.

kurahadol said:
My brother has been doing it for 2 weeks and I've dabbed into it this week (not officially started, just wanted to try it out a bit). I finished the back and chest exercise day and I'm in absolute pain. I don't want to start this officially until I move out into my own apartment next month and can stick to my own diet easily, but I will definitely be doing it. My brother keeps crying about how hard plyometrics is :lol

For right now I'll just stick to going to the gym and building some strength from that. To people who are doing it, did anyone start doing pullups with assistance from a chair? I can do like 4 or 5 with no assistance, but I almost feel like that's not enough and should use the chair at a distance to do more.
Without a doubt I use the chair a lot, otherwise I'll burn myself out way too quickly doing as many unassisted as I can.

And for me, plyometrics didn't bother me, it was core synergistics that I truly hated. ugh, so difficult.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
kurahadol said:
did anyone start doing pullups with assistance from a chair? I can do like 4 or 5 with no assistance, but I almost feel like that's not enough and should use the chair at a distance to do more.

I do about 40 a set without assistance and I started out not being able to do 2... the chair is OK but i recommend the hanging method and then move onto doing one FULL slow one, then after you do that try two and so on... I do 3 sets of 40(10 reps of 4 different grips)before I workout every day. best warm up.

Yikes, 40 is a ton. After day 60 i was able to do about 7 or 8 unassisted, up from 2 when i started. Pullups is all about strength to weight ratio so I would need to lose at least 30 pounds to get over the 20 mark I think.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
its really all about keeping good form when you are doing them as you are starting out. Pullups if done right attack alot of the right places to make you not only stronger but look great as well. My frame was thinner before I started and now it has a more solid all around build to it.

<---

All while increasing my other workout maxes. I DEFINITELY recommend that you all get in the habit of doing pullups at least 5 days a week.. You will thank me later. if you need help with any of it, let me know.

TylerD

I did P90X with a high protein diet starting on September 1st last year, my 25th birthday and I lasted about 75 days until I tweaked my shoulder and really fell off. When I started I weighed 177 lbs and when I finished I weighed 189lbs at 6'00''. I really haven't done a lot of working out since then. I still weight 189 but my body makeup is so different. I am totally disgusted that I worked so hard and just fell off... I am looking to get a gym membership here in the next week and do hard cardio and low weight high rep lifts for a month and start P90X again on my birthday.

projekt84

gym + diet is better than p90x.

p90x is just a well marketed set of exercises that you can get anywhere for free. You don't magically lose weight with it unless you follow their diet guidelines which anyone can do.

I wouldn't want to pay money for a product to tell me to do some crunches and pushups or whatever they tell you.

Fitness thread probably passed over it because no one there would care for it :D.

Man, this thread makes me want to try it. I need to get in shape first.

I realize it's just a good exercise plan that is nicely marketed, but I seriously need someone to hold my hand so this is perfect.

kurahadol

projekt84 said:

p90x is just a well marketed set of exercises that you can get anywhere for free. You don't magically lose weight with it unless you follow their diet guidelines which anyone can do.

I wouldn't want to pay money for a product to tell me to do some crunches and pushups or whatever they tell you.

Fitness thread probably passed over it because no one there would care for it :D.
Isn't it the same as a personal trainer though? Follow their workout guidelines, follow their diet guidelines, see results. The same goes for any type of work out. Sure it costs money, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a personal trainer! The set up is more than just "hey do 50 pushups, call it a day champ." It's a really thorough routine that pushes you to god knows what.

projekt84 said:

The whole point is that the videos are like having a personal trainer, and they give you structure and guidelines that allow you to get the most efficient usage of your time. In 3 months 3 months with P90X I got drastically more results than in the previous year working out in the gym on my own, and with longer workouts to boot. I didn't follow the diet guidelines in the program (because I've always ate a relatively healthy diet), and still managed to lose close to 30 pounds.

Since you aren't aware of what the workouts are like with the program, it's not fair for you to assume can just one day decide to workout and diet on their own and get the same results.

My doctor recommended the P90x to me as a means to lose weight, specifically because him and his husband were a month into it and seeing really good results.

I looked into it, and talked to friends who have done it (including one who is a personal trainer) and they said it was decent but really hard. It seemed like it would be really hard adjustment to start with the P90x considering I hadn't been to the gym or exercised in over six months. I opted to go for the intro program, the P90 Home Bootcamp, and then segue into P90x once I'm done with it. P90 is cheaper too, so I'd only be out $60 if I didn't like it, as opposed to $120.

I'm about a week and a half into it now, and I will say that it definitely gives a good workout, especially the aerobic portion of it. The hardest part, for me at least, is the yoga. It's brutal, but its getting easier. The DVDs come with a resistance cord thing for the muscle toning sections, but I'm using dumb bells instead because the resistance cord felt too short for me (I'm 6'3'') and didn't offer a comfortable range of motion. So far the benefits are more energy and a general feeling of well being, but that happens any time you are consistent in your workouts.

So far, so good. It's not amazing, but I think it works fine as a workout plan. I don't think it does anything revolutionary - the fact it tells you to do a 40 minute work out 6 days a week and follow a strict diet probably has more to do with the results people achieve, especially if you're coming off of zero exercise to start. Tony Whatsisface, the host of the videos, didn't invent the pushup. That being said, I think they offer a decent alternative for people who don't have the time or money to go to a gym. If nothing else, it seems like the knowledge you can take from these DVDs can be a good basis for a home workout routine.

negitoro7

projekt84 said:
Depends what you do in the gym. p90x gives you functional strength that can applied to sports and everyday (tough) tasks. Whereas, if you hit the gym and do nothing but curls, you won't look or perform like an athlete, you would just look like someone who has a lot of time on his hands.

projekt84

negitoro7 said:
Depends what you do in the gym. p90x gives you functional strength that can applied to sports and everyday (tough) tasks. Whereas, if you hit the gym and do nothing but curls, you won't look or perform like an athlete, you would just look like someone who has a lot of time on his hands.

Well if you don't want to put in the research to figure out a good gym routine and only go to the gym to do curls then by all means buy p90x.

A weightlifting routine with Squats and compound lifts will give you a ton more functional strength than p90x. Athletes on sports teams don't do p90x, they squat.

P90X is not going to magically make you gigantic and jacked, but it is an excellent program for overall health and fitness if you do it right (meaning don't skip the Yoga X and X-Stretch just because they won't give you teh BIG GUNZ).

It's also good if you just have the money for a few dumbells, and you can either get a pullup station or make your own bar in the garage like I did for about $20.

If you already belong to a gym, then google "starting strength" and get your ass to squatting and deadlifting.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
jason10mm said:
The wife and I use it. Pretty good results, though I don't stick to the diet that closely, so while I am putting on muscle, I am not losing weight as fast as I could.

How is your wife holding up with it? Was she in generally good shape before hand?

I'm trying to motivate my fiance with this.. so I am thinking of getting the P90 instead.. she is a bit out of shape...

negitoro7 said:

Define "functional strength".

P90X is not a workout for athletes and to my knowledge, it doesn't intend to be. It's great for conditioning and as it is pandered to the masses, for "getting in shape".

Sure, curls in the gym aren't going to make you athletic, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that P90x was designed for athletes.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Here is a sample of a p90x workout, for those who are confused as to what it is (I've only seen one infomercial and it was nigh incomprehensible)

Do a minute of push-ups
use a weight or band to work shoulders
weight/band to work triceps

cycle this 5-6 times, each time doing a slightly different type of push-up and muscle exercise. Some of the exercises, like one-handed push-ups or those pillar presses can be VERY stressful on rotator cuffs and joints, so if you have prior injuries (like me) you need to tailor it accordingly.

The weight-lifting portions are pretty basic, just a bunch of ways to use bands or weights. If you do heavy weights, you will probably gain some muscle. If you use light weights, increase the reps and you will still get toned. The legs/back part is variations of pull-ups and lots of clever body-weight leg exercises to get around not having a squat rack.

The "aerobic" stuff in between is either an ass killer (pylometrics, basically just a lot of jumping exercises) and typical aerobic class stuff (yoga, kenpo x). Good for making you sweat and designed to not interfere with the weight lifting portion (for example, the squat/jump heavy pylometrics is placed after chest/arms, not around the legs portion).

P90x, for me, is really about developing FUNCTIONAL strength. Strength for things like lifting stuff at work, going on hikes, playing ball. It won't give you a phenominal benchpress or the ability to tow a car with your teeth, but it emphasizes a lot of core muscles typical gym rats neglect and treadmill bunnies never even use, so it has a use, IMHO. It helps if you are already fit as there is a big component of aerobic endurance to it due to the rapid pace. Strength isn't really necessary as you can more easily tailor that part. I think you WILL get stronger. Your diet, if high in protein, should allow you to slap on some muscle as well. But it will never get you as big as a gym, nor is it intended to (despite Tony and most of the guys in the DVDs being pretty muscular guys, they are eye candy, just not as sweet as some of the girls :p

Crossfit or any number of other "at home" exercise routines will do the same thing. This just comes in a pretty DVD package that is virtually idiot proof.

I think you can get just the DVDs for around $60. The manuals are pretty thin and can probably be found on PDF. For that cost it is a pretty good at home exercise solution. Travels well too, I've done it while at conferences as bands pack easily.

Hari Seldon said:
How is the regular P90 program (not P90x)? I am pretty out of shape being that I am a cube warrior now.

It's good. When Mr Mouth and I started we could hardly do the push ups :lol but it's amazing how quickly you build strenght and are able to do more in just a week or two.

We used to have a whole gym set up and treadmill at home but we're both losers who are too intimidated to try and work routines out for ourselves. P90 really works best for us. The diet for P90 is also less extreme than for P90X. You get tiers of what to eat from which is not a problem for us as we eat pretty decent already. We have to work on portion control though.

Top Bottom