• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with all the negativity around The Last of Us now?

Holy shit...

fuck GAF. You guys are crazy.

after finishing the last of us I wanted to come on gaf and discuss how amazing it is. But nope, all I read is people bitching about the most trivial bullshit. This is typical GAF.

Flipping out because other people don't like a game you like? Classic GAF.

dab0ne

Clickers one shot kills get really annoying...

To kill these fuckers here's what I do

keep an empty bottle or brick on you and bait them then hit them with a molotov/bomb. Try to get as many around in earshot of the bottle you threw so you can get several with one go

Holy shit...

after finishing the last of us I wanted to come on gaf and discuss how amazing it is. But nope, all I read is people bitching about the most trivial bullshit. This is typical GAF.

If that's what you wanted to do why are you posting in a thread about the backlash towards the game instead of the OT?

Holy shit...

Holy shit...

You might be in the wrong thread!

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Talk about a backslash?

Besides the autosave glitch, people are complaining about dumb AI, bad graphics, clunky gameplay, repetition and so on.

Where's the catch here? I thought the game was praised universally for a reason.

Still patiently waiting to unbox my copy later tonight.

I think mainly it's because the AI is dumb, the graphics are not that spectacular, the aiming is imprecise and you do a lot of things many times over and over again.

Great game nonetheless though. Very interesting and a lot of fun to play.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm really surprised at the length of this game. Considering the amazing graphics I thought this game would be a lot shorter. I've played it around 5 hours on 4 evenings now and still haven't finished it. Crazy!

This is definitly game of the year. If it weren't for the bugs I'd be right there with RDR as game of the generation. I'm really sick of enemies just plopping into the game. Happened to me 3-4 times throughout the game. I really hope they fix this soon.

anddo0

The Ai can break the immersion from time to time. The initial load times are atrocious. Other than that, one of the best games I've ever played. I don't get the negativity.

Eusis

Why would you base your decision on a thread that is clearly designed to provoke, and is not representative of anything? With a disingenuous title to boot? Sigh, nobody can win on the internet it seems.
Can you really deny it's probably not the kind of game for him though? It may be one of the best games of the more linear/cinematic mold, but if he doesn't particularly care for that kind of game then at best it's probably going to be "pretty good", but not to the extent to justify buying right away. Hell, I'd have skipped for now if it weren't for Redbox, and while I'm serious about it being one of the best of its kind it's still not the kind of game I'd REALLY want to spend full price on, so I think he's probably making the right call at this point in time.
Holy shit...

Man, and this is a response to a level headed "based on what I heard this probably isn't for me" response. There IS a difference between frothing irrational hate (or even just intense dislike) versus a level headed dissenting opinion. Hell, that specifically wasn't even really that. It DOES seem to me like some people are taking offense to anyone just not liking or even not LOVING the game entirely.

StiLt

Finished it yesterday and thought it was absolutely outstanding on every facet. Particularly the acting/writing is just in a league of it's own (actually felt like tweeting Ashley Johnson, Troy Baker and Neil Druckman afterwards to commend them on it when the credits rolled... didn't though). Each to their own though gamers. Your own reaction to the game is the only one that really matters. Nothing will every be universally admired.

Dead Man

Can you really deny it's probably not the kind of game for him though? It may be one of the best games of the more linear/cinematic mold, but if he doesn't particularly care for that kind of game then at best it's probably going to be "pretty good", but not to the extent to justify buying right away. Hell, I'd have skipped for now if it weren't for Redbox, and while I'm serious about it being one of the best of its kind it's still not the kind of game I'd REALLY want to spend full price on, so I think he's probably making the right call at this point in time.

Man, and this is a response to a level headed "based on what I heard this probably isn't for me" response. There IS a difference between frothing irrational hate (or even just intense dislike) versus a level headed dissenting opinion. Hell, that specifically wasn't even really that. It DOES seem to me like some people are taking offense to anyone just not liking or even not LOVING the game entirely.

Way too reasonable for this thread :)

Rehynn

Holy shit...

Juniors whining about GAF is the weirdest thing. Once again: If you don't like "typical" GAF, why are you here?

Shinta

Banned
Just wanted to update since some people were getting bitchy about my posts in this thread, and not playing the game.

I bought it. I'm about 3 hours into the game so far. And so far ... I think it's unfortunately exactly what I didn't want.

75% of the game so far has just been sections with forced walking where I can't do anything. Even in those sections, the AI awkwardly bumps into me and knocks me off ladders. Some of the dialogue from my teammate has been less than helpful. One section where we were trying to escape at night, she literally says "okay, you ready? On my mark run!" So I run, and these soldiers were just unloading bullets into me even though the spotlight wasn't on me. After trying this a few times and dying, a help message popped up on the game over screen saying I was an easy target for running at the enemy ... but the only reason I even did is because she's literally telling me to run. So I started ignoring her and just sneaking like I was before and I got past that part fine.

One part when we were in a forced walking section, she moved a bookcase out of the way, opening up a small hole in the wall. I tried walking through it, and was just hitting an invisible wall. Both my AI teammates walked ahead of me and squeezed through, then it allowed me to go through. It's just so restrictive and scripted ...

The graphics and the story so far are top notch, and I'm enjoying both quite a lot. But that's pretty much what I expected. I never had any doubts that it would deliver in those areas. Right now, they're so much better than the gameplay that I almost wish it was just a movie.

The level design seems extremely convoluted right now. It's visually impressive, but it's just trying too hard when you always have to walk through an abandoned truck instead of just walking up the hill, then there's a perfectly sized hole to crawl through, then you go up a set of stairs on the side of a building so you can go through another perfectly placed hole that winds around to a door instead of just ... walking around the building. It just doesn't seem that realistic that anyone would really traverse through environments like this.

And the worst part is that even with the convoluted, winding level design, you can't take advantage of that in any actual gameplay. I was at a stealth section at the shipyard, and there are huge shipping crates stacked up all over. There are boxes right next to them that aren't even chest high and you can't climb up on top of them at all. They're completely within reach. You should be able to climb up on top, and get on top of the shipping crates and get a better vantage point to scope out the area and get a better firing line, but you can't interact with the boxes at all.

So far, I like the new Tomb Raider about 1000x more, including the graphics. It just controls so much better, and has much less restrictive gameplay. There's some real meat to the game, in the form of stealth, platforming, and better gunplay.

I'm not rubbing this in everyone's face like I'm some elitist. Honestly, this time I'm just depressed. My opinions on games just never match up with the majority of people here, and I hoped they would this time. I'll try and get through it until the end, but honestly, running into poorly designed stealth sections and dying and restarting, and going through dozens of sections of forced walking and dialogue are just punishing right now. I really regret buying this for $60. It's got insane production values, but it's just completely not for me.

Naughty Dog is officially on my do not buy new list, along with Rockstar. No matter how many perfect 10 reviews I read from people talking about these games, I now know they do not apply to me at all. I haven't been this disappointed since Red Dead Redemption. I wish I saved my money for Splinter Cell in August.

mxgt

Banned
I don't want to be 'that guy' but give it some more time. I had pretty similar opinions to you after I spent the first couple of hours walking around and not actually doing much. Eventually the game really opens up and I'm currently 9 hours in and it's almost constant combat/stealth scenarios.

Your opinions are fine, but I do recommend giving it a few more hours until it opens up more. The slow, dragging opening and weird partner AI are definitely my main complaints though.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
75% of the game so far has just been sections with forced walking where I can't do anything. Even in those sections, the AI awkwardly bumps into me and knocks me off ladders. Some of the dialogue from my teammate has been less than helpful. One section where we were trying to escape at night, she literally says "okay, you ready? On my mark run!" So I run, and these soldiers were just unloading bullets into me even though the spotlight wasn't on me. After trying this a few times and dying, a help message popped up on the game over screen saying I was an easy target for running at the enemy ... but the only reason I even did is because she's literally telling me to run. So I started ignoring her and just sneaking like I was before and I got past that part fine.

When she says run, you watch where they go and then follow instead of running straight ahead into the enemies sprinting like a maniac. :\ With this game especially, you have to take it slow and take your time.

ASIS

sounds like after she gained popularity and her audience grew, more people had an opinion on her music because more people heard it. but I guess if that were the case I wouldn't be able to label everyone I disagree with as hipsters and shut down their opinion before hearing it out.

It's fine to not like her. But it's fine fine to label her music "mainstream" because she is the complete opposite of that. Those people hate her because she is popular, no more.

One part when we were in a forced walking section, she moved a bookcase out of the way, opening up a small hole in the wall. I tried walking through it, and was just hitting an invisible wall. Both my AI teammates walked ahead of me and squeezed through, then it allowed me to go through. It's just so restrictive and scripted...
It's like modern games are forcing you to stare at backsides and butts. If you're going to restrict me like that, get some better butts in there.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Picked this game up yesterday and I'm about 4 hours in (30% completion according to the save file). This is going to sound weird, but I think that due to its Naughty Dog pedigree this game has been getting a pass for a lot of things that reviewers blasted Resident Evil 6 for.

Forced walking sections? Check. Invincible AI partners? Check. Scripted enemy spawning? Check. Feelings of fear and horror blunted by an ever-present checkpoint system? Check.

I really enjoyed Resident Evil 6 and I didn't mind these things at all in that game, so I don't really mind them here either, but I find it hilarious that reviewers are giving TLoU a pass for all these supposedly heinous offenses that RE6 perpetrated.

Anyway the game is really good so far and I look forward to finishing it up over the course of the week.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Negativity? This game will probably settle on my top 10 games of all time list. And I have played a fuck ton of games.

This is a stunning achievement by Naughty Dog.

Palehorse

I don't want to be 'that guy' but give it some more time. I had pretty similar opinions to you after I spent the first couple of hours walking around and not actually doing much. Eventually the game really opens up and I'm currently 9 hours in and it's almost constant combat/stealth scenarios.

Your opinions are fine, but I do recommend giving it a few more hours until it opens up more. The slow, dragging opening and weird partner AI are definitely my main complaints though.

Agreed. The beginning was a lot of scripted events and sections where you don't have a lot of options for combat. I'm around 8 hours in now and it's opened up a lot more. I think it's combo of having more items to use and more areas where you can get creative.

I'm enjoying the game a ton and can already see myself doing another play through, which is rare for me.

Bladenic

Scripted, hand-holding derivitive crap like this 'possibly becoming GAFs GoTY' makes me sad.

1) it's an amazing game

2) far worse has won GOTY on GAF

Anyway, being about an hour away from beating it, a lot of complaints I personally don't agree with. Maybe it's just me.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Scripted, hand-holding derivitive crap like this 'possibly becoming GAFs GoTY' makes me sad.

But you're wrong. The game might be presented in a very cinematic manner, but when you're actually playing it the game gives you a surprising amount of freedom in how to handle everything. Stealth past everything? Stealth Kill a few guys and take out the other guys by force? Melee things down and preserve your ammo? Use bottles to distract guys and run through, your arsenal is versatile and a lot of fun to use, not to mention every weapon is amazing. I am the person who loves to hate everything. I absolutely detested bioshock infinite, hell I was prepared to hate TLoU I didn't even preorder it or buy a boxed version, but this game blew me away. It may not be a perfect game, but it is definitely special.

Also please think a little bit more before saying stuff like "Scripted crap", if it's a story driven game do you really think it isn't going to be scripted? Do you have a huge problem with scripted events? Why do you have a problem with them? It's how everything moves along, even your most free RPG has scripted events. Think about what it means before saying stuff.

This isn't a game where you're the self insert with a predetermined face and style. You're very much Joel, everything you have to do is what Joel wants to do. You're not doing what you want you're doing what he wants to do even if it contradicts what you want to do.

The biggest problem with the game is that the checkpoint system is too forgiving to the point that it makes encounters trivial if you just let yourself die as soon as it goes to shit and retry without getting hit and wasting ammo.

Holy shit...

Ha, the game is fantastic and this ^... GAF, where we whine about games more than we play them. A discussion is one thing, but what's going on in this thread from a few of you is just stupidity... a point and click shooter, give me a fucking break.

and who's to blame? the fanboys who overhyped the game.

Also please think a little bit more before saying stuff like "Scripted crap", if it's a story driven game do you really think it isn't going to be scripted? Do you have a huge problem with scripted events? Why do you have a problem with them? It's how everything moves along, even your most free RPG has scripted events. Think about what it means before saying stuff.

Excuse me? More 'free' RPGs at least give you the illusion of choice. This is, as I said in the main thread days earlier, is Dragons Lair with more buttons. Sure, it's an oversimplification, but it's a common problem with AAA games.

Granted, I do like story driven games, but this has been a mix of other elements taken from other games that do it waaaaaaaay better. No way do games like this deserve GoTY when there's many more games out there creating many more innovative gameplay developments.

DC1

Naughty Dog is officially on my do not buy new list, along with Rockstar. No matter how many perfect 10 reviews I read from people talking about these games, I now know they do not apply to me at all. I haven't been this disappointed since Red Dead Redemption. I wish I saved my money for Splinter Cell in August.
And this is where we apply the phrase "whatever floats your boat".

RockStar games and Naughty Dog are my two shining Gold star developers for this gen.
I would put Red Dead and TLOU in a time capsule labeled "4 years of gaming greatness"- Blurring the lines of fantastic gameplay, art. Cinema, acting , the dramatic pursuit and fun.

And.. we would both be correct.

What ever floats your boat.

Holy shit...

Oh, the irony! Talk about negativity...

From the Sony E3 Conference thread:

Congrats sony. This is hands down the worst E3 I have ever seen. Fucking terrible.

Cant believe I am saying this, but the xbone one conference was a lot better. Holy shit.

Worst E3 you've ever seen, eh?! lol

OMFG sony what the fuck are you doing??

you could not pick the worst god damn footage of shadow fall! what the fuck man!

how about a 10 min demonstration to blow us away!

this is fucking terrible!!

Still cant get over how terrible this conference is.

My friends and I all took the day off to watch a walkthrough of killzone shadow fall...and we got the most generic shit you can imagine. Holy crap.

Inversive

It's only in this shitty thread there is negativity (self fulfilling prophecy) , the OT is full of people who saying the game is great etc.

Nobody said that a certain chunk of the gamer populace having a tendency to form their opinions around their own ego is a "conspiracy".

inventing a group of fairy people that only hate your favorite games for X reason, thereby making their opinions less valid than yours, strikes me as one

OT is one of the most positive I remember reading here on gaf. Most people are saying it's either their goty or gotg. Not sure what's up with this thread.

Lucifon

Easily the best game I've played all year, way better than Bioshock Infinite and one of the best games I've ever played.

Agreed, although I'd probably say for me personally Bioshock was close but TLOU took it. Loved the setting, story, characters and combat flow. Felt that it sets a real bar for third person titles and completely agree with most of the reviews. Was the first time I've sat and played a game on the PS3 in a long long time but it's easily the best exclusive on the system and showed Naughty Dog are a real asset to Sony moving into the next gen.

zoukka

The first few hours can feel underwhelming, but it picks up. I know it now that I've played it a lot more. The game has pretty insane atmosphere at times and can be as creepy as any great horror game. The visuals are unrivaled in many areas and the lighting work is second to none.

Eusis

Excuse me? More 'free' RPGs at least give you the illusion of choice. This is, as I said in the main thread days earlier, is Dragons Lair with more buttons. Sure, it's an oversimplification, but it's a common problem with AAA games.

Granted, I do like story driven games, but this has been a mix of other elements taken from other games that do it waaaaaaaay better. No way do games like this deserve GoTY when there's many more games out there creating many more innovative gameplay developments.
It's important for anyone arguing "but every game's scripted!" to remember it's more of a sliding scale. We have at one end Minecraft, and at the other end Heavy Rain that's practically just a series of QTEs, with everything else falling somewhere on that spectrum, with this closer towards the scripted end (though not as bad as some games have been honestly.)

As for GotY: admittedly I do need to see what hits in the rest of the year, but I can see it being my favorite of the AAA games in the end (though it helps I had opposite expectations from Bioshock Infinite, not to mention this seems to execute what it wants to do way better), though it almost certainly won't be my favorite of the year period: we have Shin Megami Tensei IV next month!
It's only in this shitty thread there is negativity (self fulfilling prophecy) , the OT is full of people who saying the game is great etc.
Or maybe it's serving to funnel more critical talk out of the OT so most of us just talk about either liking the game or where we're stuck/need help/are too chickenshit to get past (ended up returning it actually... but ALMOST got it right back out thanks to the new free code. Maybe I'll hunt it down tomorrow.) There's real critical discussion to be had, but in general I think as long as you know roughly what you're going to get you can really enjoy the game. Don't go in expecting single player DayZ, but maybe expect DayZ flavored Uncharted (sans waves of enemies and serious climbing around anyway.)

Jomjom

Banned
I haven't played a whole lot of TLoU, just about 2 hours, but man that beginning was the most powerful intro to a game I have ever experienced.

Top Bottom