• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's with this new trend of buttoning the top button on shirts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pociask

The top button which fastens the collar on a dress shirt should only be buttoned when wearing a tie. It should not constrain the neck when buttoned - if so, you are wearing the wrong size collar.

I don't know what Bubba is doing with his polos, but that top button is just for looks, not for buttoning.

Anastasia

I think it can look good with the right type of collar and placket:

SHbF5mM.jpg

But otherwise I'm not a huge fan of it. I suppose it makes sense for a more "streamlined" look.

Lamel

Banned
Some shirts I can't even button the top most one because my traps are too large now; the rest of the shirt fits perfectly though.

#gains.

bomma_man

...I've done this for a couple of years.

It's not uncomfortable if you wear the right kind of shirt; one with a soft collar. I hated being forced to do it at school though, and it doesn't really work for tighter cuts.

IceCold

It makes you look like you're shy or stuck up or something. Unbutton your shirts lads and let your chest hair breathe and feel the soothing winds. Show your virility and sexual prowess.

Kinvara

I have never seen this ever. Wasn't aware this was a "trend" but I am completely ignorant when it comes to fashion.

What happened to the days when it was socially acceptable to have chest hair protruding from your shirt. I want to go back to those days!

R4qlYMa.jpg

jtb

Banned
one button undone is my personal philosophy. two looks a bit sloppy, imo. (and I don't have the right look to pull it off). none just looks bad without a tie.

aceface

This is a dilemma for me. I hate having the top button done but if I leave it undone my chest hair is all over the place and I look like that guy in the picture above. What to do??

Kinvara

This is a dilemma for me. I hate having the top button done but if I leave it undone my chest hair is all over the place and I look like that guy in the picture above. What to do??

Have no shame. Be proud of your garden of manliness.

(Or maybe trim it back a bit whatever works for you.)

Zekes!

Ya'll are straight tripping. I always fully button up my shirts.

If I rock them unbuttoned it's always the top two. I never unbutton just one

when I wear a tie I still don't do the top button, I pull the tie snug enough to conceal it and it allows me breathing room too boot

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I have one shirt that it looks okay and feels comfortable to do this with.
But in general, no. Really weird look if you're not wearing a tie, especially if you're untucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom