• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your average monthly internet bandwidth usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got Timewarner and was looking at my statements. Apparently I used 2TB in November. Not even sure how, although I do use P2P and streaming services alot. However I average about 900gb a month.

Krakn3Dfx

It used to be around 1.2TB/month, but now that Comcast has capped me at 1TB, I have set Netflix and Twitch feeds to medium quality and have turned off auto updating in Steam unless I start something up, and it's dialed me back to around 650GB/month the last few months.

Around 200GB I believe.

EDIT: Checked, over the past year the highest was around 450GB, with a range of 200-450GB. So average probably closer to around 300GB.
For what it's worth, I have a 300mb/s connection.

We're usually a bit under 1 TB. But that's with 4 people in the house, all often using their devices for video streaming, and me buying digital games.

amar212

60-70GB, mostly because Destiny

But 1TB, people, what are you doing?

I have to say that streaming content is not that strong in Europe and my cable usage is not counted towards my bandwidth, maybe that is the difference.

Do you have cable (TV) counted in the plan in the US?

How do you end up with 1TB+??

Undrey

I think my cap is around 150-200GB, that's probably how much I use up considering I'm usually wary of it.

I have to say that streaming content is not that strong in Europe and my cable usage is not counted towards my bandwidth, maybe that is the difference.

Bittorrent. Might even be running web servers from home. 4k streaming through Netflix and Amazon has increased usage considerably.

Psvue and Netflix hits me over yours. I have to recheck.

I have 6mbps but it doesn't really matter to me because I don't have a cap.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just checked this actually, my wife and I average about 500GB/month. We do a lot of streaming (we have PS Vue for cable, Netflix, HBO, etc.) and I game a ton.

FuuRe

I really feel sorry about you guys and your bandwidth caps

Unlimited here but I dl about 3-5 tb a month

Schlep

Looks like we (2 people) average about 700GB a month. All video (except OTA channels) is streaming, and of course there's gaming and streaming music.

Jams775

Easily. UHD videos, 400+ steam games on auto update to start. I constantly stream youtube shows that are often 4k on my 4k tv. Lots of giantbomb videos. Those things eat bandwidth for breakfast.

inner-G

Banned
It's gotta be in the TB's

I have a business acct. though, I'm not even sure where I can find the usage at. I tried looking on their website but didn't see anything

I average around 1.5 to 2TB a month. Its pretty easy to get that high with multiple computers running Steam and other stores, multiple game consoles and video streaming.

nullref

We averaged ~650GB a month over the last 3 full months. (December was low, around 400 GB, probably because we were away visiting family over Christmas. January was 816 GB.)

It's just my wife and I in the house. I do digital downloads for all my games (PC), we use various streaming services for all our TV and music. (Netflix, PS Vue, Amazon, Apple Music.)

Kind of uncomfortably close to our 1 TB Comcast cap, but usage will probably go down once my wife goes back to work and isn't leaving Vue on streaming all day.

From the last 5 months, the most I've used is 148 GB...and that's from December. Mainly because I had a 2 week vacation and I was streaming/downloading a lot of shit.

For the other months, it seems like I'm barely over(or reach) 100 GB. I forget that I have unlimited internet some times.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Household of 4 addicts

6UILM7C.png

We recently upgraded our internet from 60/5 mbps to 100/10 mbps($100 a month) so I can imagine it going even more higher

Zeneric

Cogeco.
80/15 mbps D/U.
Uncapped.
2-2.5 TB bandwidth usage per month average.
6 people in my house use the net.
Computers, laptops, cells, a smarttv, consoles, and tablets.
Netflix, youtube, torrent, steam, etc.
$125 CAD per month.

KorrZ

I have unlimited (Canada) but I've always been averaging about 400-500GB per month.

Lots of Twitch/Youtube/Netflix streaming on a daily basis + Steam downloads, Spotify etc. my network is pretty much always doing something.

Griss

When I had 150-200Mb/s service, I could get to 2TB easily.

Now that I'm back on 0.5-2Mb/s... well... most I can do is about 100GB max, and most of that is game downloads and updates in rest mode as I'm fully digital on both WiiU and PS4.

Believe me, going from 200Mb/s to a spotty 0.5Mb/s connection hurts. It hurts no longer being able to load gifs on Neogaf, or even large images a lot of the time.

DJ_Lae

It's varied a bit in the past year but seems to hover around 800GB or so on average. This past month has been higher as with 150mbps it's almost quicker to just pull down Steam games again than transfer them over my own network - and easier, certainly.

ZyX1QY4.png

Usage includes gaming, streaming for my wife and kids and so on. I'm actually surprised it's not higher.

I could probably correlate a lot of that data use with the weather, as we definitely stream more when it's cold out in the winter.

Takuan

Probably in the mid-hundreds, depending on whether I buy any games that month. Game sizes are nutso these days.

Ryde3

around 350 GB during months I buy digital games, a bit more now that I've got a 4K TV, that content is larger.

on my cell phone I have 5gbs allocated but sometimes hit 6 -7gb.

Yoritomo

Modem
Total data used*
2404 of unlimited
GB used
Total usage shown is rounded up to the nearest GB.
Upload
202.31 GB uploaded help_icon
Download
2201.42 GB downloaded help_icon

I would say I average at least 1 TB a month, I'm in the UK though so I can't remember the last time I had broadband with a bandwidth cap. I stream everything though which is why it's high, I pay a small fee monthly to get pretty much every sport in HD and an hour can go up to 2-3GB in size depending on the quality, I sometimes leave a channel like skysports or NBA TV running in the background as well and then other times I'll have 2-3 streams opened at the same time. Then you have everything else like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, web browsing and game downloads or updates.

Dougald

I think I use about 600GB a month.

I work from home and stream Spotify 8+ hours a day, and we pretty much only watch Streaming services like Netflix in the evenings. It adds up.

TalonJH

From Time Warner:

NwtYApY.png

Just myself and my wife.

For clarity, I don't really download torrents. This is just regular use.

We're averaging around 640 GB but that's including November & January being unusually high for a few reasons.

Those months were creeping closer to the 1TB limit, and we've been streaming most of our TV through Vue for months.

Surfinn

It's very very easy and simple.. you live with other people, and you stream. We've hit 1.3 TB between three people streaming. Already burned through two grace periods.

Netflix makes up most of it. We actually had to reduce our usage so we don't get hit with penalties.

Dude we're living in an age where one game download can eat through 10% of 1TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom