• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats Your Worst Controller Ever?

The Dreamcast controller was cramp inducing when playing certain games for me, but even then at least it had some level comfort unlike the controllers for the NES & Master System.

The only good answer, the Jaguar gamepad.
Atari_Jaguar_Controller_Pic3.jpg

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I've only used a Duke at a kiosk but I remember thinking wtf.

But by far the worst for me is the Jaguar. I don't get it...I just don't get it.

Banned
if we take time of release and functionality... the DualShock 3.
absolutely awful ergonomics, the worst analog triggers in history, god awful sticks (convex and so close to each other that your thumbs are at risk of colliding) and no option to connect a headset.

they also somehow managed to make the d-pad less responsive from each generation to the next. looking at the first 3 dualshock generations, the DualShock 1 had the best D-pad, the Dualshock 2 is a close second... and somehow the Dualshock 3 d-pad just feels looser and less responsive.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
If this controller was in widespread use today I'd probably be able to file a disability claim after 6-months.

xb6175W.jpg

Those little chicklets on the side with sharp edges, corners, short throw, and that are super stiff? Imagine using those as a fire button. There is probably scar tissue in my fingertips from that torture device.

Best controller ever was the Tac-2 by Suncom. Indestructible. Worked just as good after years as it did the day it came out of the box.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Interesting thread. For me it is the PS2 controller, though PS3 never changed enough to do much better in my eyes.

I hate the placement of the sticks, but acknowledge that the PS layout is fine for d-pad games. So, years ago I decided to replay Castlevania SotN and used the PS2's backwards compatibility for the first time. I was actually terrible at it. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally, I plugged in the old grey Dual Shock and everything was fixed. The pressure sensitive mushy buttons of the PS2 totally ruined my precise platforming game. At least with the original Dual Shock I can play a PS1 platforming game, for crissakes.

I still have a Dual Shock 1 just so I can play SotN, lol.

Geki-D

Banned
The N64 pad was just trash, but the Dreamcast's pad actually caused my physical harm on that hard-ass D-pad playing MvC2. I'd still say the N64 though because it was bad for nearly everything whilst the DC was serviceable for most types of games.

Unless we're including stuff like the cheap shitty Mad Catz PSX/PS2 pads you could get that would get analogue drift after 2 weeks. Those were the worst.

Geki-D

Banned
The Switch joy cons...
You know what, I've never used one but if anyone ever passed me this:
imgbin-nintendo-switch-pro-controller-splatoon-2-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-joy-con-nintendo-EKgpFZy7hyViquEhaPzbHKvMy.jpg

Expecting me to play with a "pad" that has a single analogue bang in the center, I'm going to throw it at their head. Just visually, I'd say the joy cons are the worst pads ever. I just lack the actual hands on experience to fully declare it.

You know what, I've never used one but if anyone ever passed me this:
imgbin-nintendo-switch-pro-controller-splatoon-2-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-joy-con-nintendo-EKgpFZy7hyViquEhaPzbHKvMy.jpg

Expecting me to play with a "pad" that has a single analogue bang in the center, I'm going to throw it at their head. Just visually, I'd say the joy cons are the worst pads ever. I just lack the actual hands on experience to fully declare it.
What's the worst about this is that they are really EXPENSIVE for their quality. If you ever get a Switch buy yourself a Pro controller.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I could talk about the 70's and 80's controllers, but at that time people were in totally uncharted territories. I guess it's not fair, but...

N64 - it's a bad design overall. "Use your D-pad or the joystick, also The L or Z button. Can't use both at the same time, bitch"

Jaguar - numeric stuff in the 90's? We already have the Mega Drive and SNES with 6 buttons, also, the PSX was already revealed by that time. What the hell, Atari?!

SixAxis - "oh, shit, we need to put motion sensors instead of rumble. Also, we need to the triggers more gun-ish than a button. Everyone will like it." No one liked.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The Dreamcast controller is stupid, but I think the DualShock 3 deserves special mention because of how it somehow fucked up a completely competent design.

1) The d-pad is flatter and feels worse
2) The tension on the sticks is waaaaay too loose
3) The face buttons, themselves, feel flatter and less satisfying to push
4) The triggers are a complete joke, and are awful for analog or digital inputs
5) The build quality is garbage-tier

It's an inferior piece of hardware to the Dualshock 2 in just about every way. Which I guess fits such a crappy system.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Jaguar - numeric stuff in the 90's? We already have the Mega Drive and SNES with 6 buttons, also, the PSX was already revealed by that time. What the hell, Atari?!

This is an acceptable answer. Anyone saying anything along the lines of a PlayStation or Xbox controller has to be console warring. Either that or they have only played video games made in the last 10-15 years.

anthraticus

Banned
If this controller was in widespread use today I'd probably be able to file a disability claim after 6-months.

xb6175W.jpg

Those little chicklets on the side with sharp edges, corners, short throw, and that are super stiff? Imagine using those as a fire button. There is probably scar tissue in my fingertips from that torture device.

Best controller ever was the Tac-2 by Suncom. Indestructible. Worked just as good after years as it did the day it came out of the box.
Intellivision 1 controllers were much better than these cheaper feeling ones for 2.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yeah, the Atari 2600.

There are probably worse controllers out there, but... of the ones I played the Atari 2600's was certainly the worst.

The one I like the most is the Wii controller.

Reactions: TLZ

VAVA Mk2

OG NES controller. A damn plastic rectangle with zero ergonomics. Uncomfortable to hold for extended periods of time. DS3 was also not great for ergonomics.

Birdo

Banned
Dual Axis (Original PS3)

It was a light, transparent black, hollow chunk of shit with convex triggers.

I honestly can't express how much I hated that cheap turd.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Wii-mote, with that tiny shitting D-pad followed closely by that Game Cube abomination.

iHaunter

No question, the DS4

Cheap low-quality build, stupid battery draining lightbar, ridiculous non-swappable 4 hour battery with an equally ridiculous 3ft charger cable and I hated the symmetrical sticks.

I never had a Dreamcast, but I have to admit, that looks even worse. How do you even hold that thing?

LMAO okay buddy.

It's definitely either Dreamcast or N64.

Pantz

Gamester FPS Master Xbox Controller
gogu1R6.jpg

Cool concept, looks cool, poor usability.

The plastic was really sharp in parts enough to cut your hands. The gaps between the rubber and plastic would pinch your skin. The button placement was the worst part not necessarily because of the location but because when using either the grip buttons or the trigger buttons you would lose leverage on one or the other making it really difficult to naturally control the game without constant hand adjustments. It did at least have some kind of button programming and turbo.

Alphagear

Surprised at all the dual shock dislike. Definitely unreliable but the worst overall? N64 definitely had the worst analogue stick ever. Rest of it was fine. Dont think it had as many flaws as the Dreamcast controller.

Top Bottom