• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the dumbest/worst trophies and achievements you ever found?

Midn1ght

Let's go GAF, show me what you consider the worst or most ridiculous trophies and achievements you ever saw in our beloved games.

I'll start with a few from the last "masterpiece" from Yu Suzuki: Air Twister

ykDNbdi.png

tuodeci.gif

And of course some infamous one from The Stanley Parable.

pNKPkRr.png

4t6q13.jpg

Krieger

1. Lost Planet 2: You need to achieve a world record time for the platinum. The dumbest piece of shit I ever saw for an achievement.
  2. Dead Rising 1: Survive for 7 in day games (14 hours in real time), in a buggy game mode without the option of saving and also you constantly lose health which means you need to eat every 19:59 minutes or you're dead.
  3. Dead Rising 2 Off the Record: You need to keep the first surviver of the game with you until the near end so that she can damage a boss. That means you can't take her with you into the safe zone, and also need to prepare a location for her for some missions which automatically transport you to the safe zone upon completion.
  4. Grid: Drive a total distance equal to the circumference of the world. Even after doing every other trophy, you'll still be nearly 30.000km short of this and need to just drive for nearly 100 hours at 400km/h.
  5. Tetris Effect: Spin the tetris blocks a million times. 1.000.000 of just spinning the blocks.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Dying Light 2 there is one for walking 960Km which is nearly 600 miles.

it just isn't necessary to have to do this.

Last edited:

Phobos Base

There was one in Forza 6 for winning a multiplayer race after starting at the back of the grid. Except the problem was it had to be a full grid of 24 and the grid order was random. So you'd have to find a full lobby, hope a single person didn't drop out whilst it was loading, have a 4% chance of being placed last, then somehow win the race. I got it through a boosting session, but even that took hours as people kept being dropped or wouldn't pay attention.

In the early 360 days there were a few games that had achievements for getting to number 1 on the global leaderboard. People blocked them off very quickly and heard stories of them demanding money to let people temporarily take their place. Quake 4 had one, which needed something like 6 players to start and had a bug where it often wouldn't count your score.

Basically every trophy/ achievement that you get for pressing a fucking button during a tutorial.

Feels like winning a trophy at the Special Olympics...

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Final Fantasy IX
Found in the Shuffle
Beat the Nero Brothers' shuffling game nine times in a row

Hail to the King
Jump rope 1000 times without tripping and obtain King of Jump Rope

This is a jump rope mini-game where you have to press the action button at the precise moment the prompt appears on the screen. It sounds easy, but it's super difficult, and very not fun.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection
LASO Master
Complete each individual game specific LASO (Legendary All Skulls On) playlist for every Halo game

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
More hilarious than stupid, but in Dead or Alive 3 (I think? first one that came out on 360) there was an “achievement” for losing against the CPU without damaging your opponent. It was worth 0 points.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Originally, the Xbox 360 version of Turok was set to feature an achievement called "Grab Bag", which required players to kill at least one enemy, one dinosaur, one teammate, and themselves, all in the same match.[4] This caused controversy on the Internet as the achievement essentially rewarded players for team killing.

One of the developers on this game ended up being a rogue mod here who banned thousands.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Gears - Seriously 1.0 to 3.0 (don’t even know if 4&5 have them as I stopped caring but if so, those as well).

Any single player game with a crappy online component with trophies attached to it (Tomb Raider 2013 looking at you).

Darkkahn

1. Dead Rising 1: Survive for 7 in day games (14 hours in real time), in a buggy game mode without the option of saving and also you constantly lose health which means you need to eat every 19:59 minutes or you're dead.
We are not talking about the best trophies here.

SCB3

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare (G.R.A.W):

World Champion: Number 1 in the World at MP

There is also one there for 8 hours straight of playing MP, a friend of mine actually has that

Dr_Ifto

That emperor trophy in Elder Scrolls Online. You literally have to be Emperor of your server, which thousands of others are gunning for. Lasts a week, and its through some PVP mechanic or something.

Ones I hate other than MP: Playing the game AGAIN on the hardest difficulty. Leave that for a DLC trophy pack. I aint got time for that shit. Im in my old man gamer phase.

Last edited:
  1. Grid: Drive a total distance equal to the circumference of the world. Even after doing every other trophy, you'll still be nearly 30.000km short of this and need to just drive for nearly 100 hours at 400km/h.
  2. Tetris Effect: Spin the tetris blocks a million times. 1.000.000 of just spinning the blocks.
If there is a good multiplayer component I think these might even be in the ballpark of getting them naturally. You really have to love the games though.
I would assume racing pros easily get to 100+ hours in their favorite racing games. I assume 200km/h might be more realistic as an average which brings it to 200h? Unless there is some dumb oval course with some fantasy car that actually can hold 400km/h grinding along the wall? Still much, but some trophies are just grinds and not skill based at all. Certainly kinda dumb but still not entirely ludicrous like your other and others' examples with stupid time constrainsts, wr or hardly healthy marathon sessions.
Iirc I had 100k turns or something after not finishing a lot of stuff in Tetris. Asking a serious grind from average people is probably anyway necessary to get good. They probably have to play it that long until acing the insane challenges. I assume close to 200h for that, at crazy play speeds. But doing even A ranks is beyond my level, so no idea how to get SS on everything. I also doubt even with that serious training regime of 1mio turns I would actually get there, but there is a difference between a mindless grind and an insane drill. Hardly for everyone.
Or just use a stick with autofire which still takes some time I guess, but should make it rather convenient but even more dumb. If I would own a stick it would not be beneath me to do that. Rubber banded enough other shit already. But I guess no one can cheat their way to the Tetris Platinum that way, just a lousy grind trophy, since the SS-rank requires actual skills.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Any game with a speedrun trophy. Ones where it's "Complete the game in less than 4 hrs" or something like that. I hate feeling rushed when im gaming, so i'm guaranteed to screw up since i get careless since i'm racing a clock.

There was one time for the Ico remaster where you had to beat the entire game in 2 hrs or less or something like it and it was the only one left i needed for the platinum. I even followed an online guide too, and when i finished the game i missed it literally by 2 seconds. That was it for me with those kind of trophies, never again.

Last edited:

Holammer

FLw3qNd.jpg

From Space Marine. I don't think I got what it takes and I played the game from start to finish once (and some MP). Even if I counted the two times I finished the game with a pirated copy, I would still be found wanting.
There's an exterminatus PVE mode where you battle waves, but it would still require a couple of dozen of them.

stn

I hate achievements/trophies that are either really hard to obtain, very time consuming, or impossible to obtain due to server closure. Its just not fun at all. The first GRAW had an achievement for being the #1 multiplayer player in the world. How many people even have that achievement?

If some devs were smarter, they'd make achievements easier to boost sales. I'm sure there are people out there who buy games only to get the achievements/trophies.

Last edited:

SCB3

I hate achievements/trophies that are either really hard to obtain, very time consuming, or impossible to obtain due to server closure. Its just not fun at all. The first GRAW had an achievement for being the #1 multiplayer player in the world. How many people even have that achievement?

If some devs were smarter, they'd make achievements easier to boost sales. I'm sure there are people out there who buy games only to get the achievements/trophies.
According to TrueAchievements, 92 people

I cannot tell if thats just tracked people on that site though

Any game with a speedrun trophy. Ones where it's "Complete the game in less than 4 hrs" or something like that. I hate feeling rushed when im gaming, so i'm guaranteed to screw up since i get careless since i'm racing a clock.

There was one time for the Ico remaster where you had to beat the entire game in 2 hrs or less or something like it and it was the only one left i needed for the platinum. I even followed an online guide too, and when i finished the game i missed it literally by 2 seconds. That was it for me with those kind of trophies, never again.
bitter, but 2 hours is at least reasonably long to try again and usually with the unvoluntary practice run done, it could become less of a race, since you actually know better how to get through everything fast.

Siberia 2 had a 6 hours run trophy and it was bugged. I think only in the European version, Americans got it fixed. My first and last trophy kinda prove that I managed to beat it that fast, but if the trophy is bugged it does not matter and the publisher/dev never cared to also go through the update certification in my region. Actually missing 6 hours would be a bit more devastating and the time allows not plenty of pauses.

I dislike the no or limited deaths in one run trophies more. Time ticking is less annoying to me than having to play without any or few errors.

Nicktendo86

This is nothing compared to some of the ones posted here but the trophy in Shenmue 3 for catching 1000 fish was painful. Cant believe how much time I wasted doing that one.

Top Bottom