• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wheel of Time Book 4 - I quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I quit. I really don't usually quit. I usually am perfectly happy to see a series through no matter how bad it is. But I just can't. Which is funny because I'm told that this isn't even the worst of it. I got up to 60-65% of the way through, but I'm not doing it anymore.

Okay, if you wnat to know my thoughts on WoT 1-3, I wrote them out here. By and large, my thoughts remain the same, though they've gotten harsher.

There are a few parts that make this just pretty unbearable for me, so I'm just gonna try to put them down, but it's late, so if my thoughts are a mess, I apologize.

First off, this prophecy bullshit needs to stop. The prophecies here are never really explored beyond what they are stated to do, meaning we (and the characters) are given no reason to believe they are valid or who they came from, but atleast 2 characters follow them through because that's what they heard the prophecies are.

What this translates to is "Why are they doing X? Because that's what the plot says so". I have no reason to care as a reader because the characters have no reason to care for themselves. This is different from prophecies in, say, A Song of Ice and Fire. There, prophecies never bothered me, and I only realized reading this book why: The prophecies mostly served as warnings and heralds of darkness, but they were never, in and of themselves, the reason the characters fulfilled them. In The Shadow Rising, atleast 2 characters are going to where their going and doing what their doing just because some vague unexplained force told them and they basically can't think of anything better to do. This is even different from the first 3 books, where Rand was following the prophecies because he himself was having an identity crisis over being the dragon reborn. I didn't think those books were great, but I atleast cared a little. Here, it's...it's nothing. I have read over 600 pages of this shit, and the places where I see Rand as a character are few and far inbetween, because he seems to be just moving according to what the plot told him, like someone following an instruction manual. Mat is in the same boat, unsure what to do, so he uses a plot device to talk to prophetic spirits, who tell him to go with Rand and basically is just following along the same path just because someone else told him that's where he needs to go. Mat himself doesn't have a reason to go, but since he lacks a reason to go anywhere else, he just follows along.

Meanwhile, Egwene and Elayne and Nyneave are STILL hunting the Black Ajah after like 2 whole books of this shit. I can't even remember if they made progress. I know they messed up their plans in book 3, but it's just frustrating to see them after hundreds of pages make such little progress on actually cornering them for so damn long. I decided to spoil myself, and apparently these black sisters stay on the run almost throughout the whole series. Like, jesus. The guys' PoV's have issues involving reader investment, but atleast they do in fact make progress in raising their abilities, however unearned. 80% of the girl's POV chapters seem spent on personal petty problems (especially Egwene, seriously, I know character development doesn't necessarily equate to improving as a person, but she somehow got less mature than how she started out as. She is given an offer with how she needs to earn her way in the Aiel, she agrees, then bitches about it in her head about how unfair it is because Rand doesn't have to do the same even though he's off being taught to do something else entirely.)

Perrin's plotline is probably the most well written and compelling of this book. It's got emotional investment by having Perrin coming back to save his home and how he views it as his fault and him finding out his parents were dead was one of the few actually, legitimately well written segments of the book I've read. Unfortunately, when asked the question of whether it's enough to make it worth my while, the answer is no. Perrin's is the least flawed of the 3 ongoing general narratives, but it's not good enough. I hate Faile, I don't like Loial, I don't really care about the Two Rivers folk, and I kind of hate Perrin too. The entire initiation segment between him leaving tear and arriving at the Two rivers is filled with his stupidity, passive aggressiveism and bitchiness.

I don't like ANY of these people. And normally that wouldn't be a problem if they were interesting, but their really not. I tried to figure out why, and I think I finally stumbled on the systemic problem with how all these characters are written: Their all unempathetic manipulative assholes. That doesn't mean that the characters don't care for one another, exactly. But it does mean every relationship every character has is a power struggle for dominance rather than understanding. It's easiest to exemplify this with the gender binary going on. Male characters are repeatedly baffled by the actions of women while making basically no real effort as to understand WHY they might do what they do any feel as they feel. And more than that, all the younger male characters are encouraged by the older ones to not even try. Women are just mysterious creatures that do random, incomprehensible things. Meanwhile, women also don't bother to make efforts to understand men, but they don't even admit their ignorance, they just assign every negative or confusing thing they do to their having a penis. If a man wants to do something and a woman disagrees, he's being stupid because he's a MAN, regardless of the reasons he gives. It feels outright misandrous at times, with how dismissive and contemptuous some of these female characters are. There's less of that when two characters are of the same genders, but this series has a notorious problem of the characters not communicating with each other, and I've seen that as early as book 1.

So the result of this is that all the characters are belligerent as all fuck. One character advised Perrin on how to deal with Faile as a wife (and wives in general) is to do what they say on minor things so they can stalk up in their resistance points and take control when it matters. Putting aside that taht sounds like a fundamentally unhealthy relationship, what does this mean for the characters? Their not trying to develop or work together in unity, there's no mutual understanding of another person happening here. This seems like people just pick their partners based on masochistic tendencies, or atleast how they are willing to suffer for the pleasures of company. The thing is, when EVERY relationship is like that, it just starts being predictable. Every character is just in a constant state of bitching out another. It just makes me dread any interactions that can happen, especially on the romantic side. But other relationships are affected too. Mat spends most of his time with Rand at a distance, either annoyed or suspicious that Rand is going to go insane at any moment. In no way does he try to actually help fix the problem of his supposed sanity. If I'm supposed to buy that Mat is a genuine friend to Rand, I didn't get much of a feeling of that in how he interacts with him on a day to day basis. We get him trying to save Rand while in the temple, and that's great and all, but there's little actual communication between them as characters.

The writing reflects that as well. I've already gone over that in my other post, and again, I haven't changed my position about how it draaaaaaaaaags on (did Jordan murder his editor or something), but one thing I noticed with this new read is how disconnected the descriptions are. I started noticing that "He/She gave a (emotive) look." comes up so much. The body language isn't used often or the emotion itself rarely described, it's just captured in a look of some kind, and we're meant to imagine it from there.

So yeah. The characters just fucking blow. And the villains aren't better. Look, in the first 3 books, Baalzamon was a shitty villain. Like, he wasn't threatening after the first book, he sure as hell wasn't threatening by the third, but the antagonistic opposition felt nature in this sort of story. Now, Rand has nothing and I went over why "because the plot told me to" isn't really a big center of tension, nor are the girl's unending hunt for the Black Ajah. Perrin does have a villain, but they suck because their too simple. Padan Fain is like every evil crazy person stereotype rolled into a character. He feels like a parody being played straight. He goes beyond what even cartoon villainy is. The whitecloaks aren't that great either, since Perrin only killed one or a few of them, and that's apparently all it takes for THE ENTIRE FUCKING ARMY to travel all the way to your home to burn everything down. I know that their being manipulated, but I argue that them being able to be manipulated into something this obsessively dumb is evidence of how poorly run they are.

And it all really stems from the Dark One. The most generic of all possible antagonists, evil itself. You know, I find this world really wierd. All 1 religion, all sharing the same basic belief system, under 1 language. Despite having difficult cultural norms with the Seanchan and the Aiel, somehow everyone knows that the Dark One is pure evil. This wouldn't happen, realistically. Beliefs would disperse and everyone would come up with their own idea of who the Dark One was and what it meant and blah blah blah. But it's not the lack of realism per se that bothers me about this set up, but the way it eliminates motivational and moral ambiguity. If you're a dark follower, you don't have good reasons, you don't have your own moral center, or just different beliefs. You're evil. This has been basically universally true and it doesn't change from what I can tell. The most variety you can get is that you can be evil in different ways, but the actual morality or lackthereof is never even in question. I....well, I don't really see how you make an interesting dynamic out of that. Lord of the Rings is a clear inspiration to this, and it definitely has a clear good vs evil thing going on...but honestly, the more I looked into it, the more I found reasons to sympathize with even the most abject of evil creatures here. Morgoth wanted to sing his own song. Sauron wanted to improve the world. Gollum...well, we know Gollum's tale.

With respect to WoT fans on here, I really don't see the appeal of this series. It has the feel of an epic in some ways, I can give you that. Big world destroying prophecies, an ultimate evil, magic, awesome weapons, different cultures, different races, the big chosen one, big romances....but it fails to pull any of that off in my opinion and is one of the least engaging fantasies I've ever read. The prose is some of the worst I've ever come across at times, I struggle to give a shit about any of the characters, and....I just quit. This is just really unusual for me, because I am usually willing to slog through even the worst things, but I can't take this anymore and I have no idea why I would subject myself to this any further. I might try Sanderson's Way of Kings book again. I had a few similar problems with him as I do with these books, which makes sense since he apparently loves WoT, but I remember Sanderson being better than this.

I'll say this positive though: I really hope that one day, a decent adaptation of this is made. Because the general structure of the plot isn't bad. But virtually....everything about the writing makes this a journey I can't go on. An adaptation will have the advantage of not just cutting all the filler in the text, but may even rewrite the characters in order to make them better. Maybe some people will disagree with me, but I do not believe it is the job of adaptations to merely recreate a work, but to improve upon it. Kubrick himself said he liked to pick mediocre books to adapt because there he had more freedom to turn whats decent into something great. Well, for anyone who believes in that, Wheel of Time is a golden opportunity that should not be passed up.

Herne

It was book ten when I gave up, after several of the characters spent the entire book picking dresses they thought Rand would like and the situation was almost exactly the same at the end as it was at the start.

cheezcake

You made the right choice, I got out after book 8 and it really doesn't get better. I'm a sucker and want to see it end though so I'll probably go back to it when I have chunk of free time.

klonere

Banned
Yes but do you remember Egwene pulled on her hair in frustration

It's a bad series of badly written pulp fantasy and your analysis is spot on in my mind. I think I gave up on it one book later than you did but that was more out of having bought the damn thing and feeling obliged to read it

My Brother is a big Sanderson fan and he's been trying for months to chug thru 7-11 to get to the last three books. I don't think I can do a series this long.

V_Arnold

Your loss.

Exactly. I just reread book 1-5 AGAIN this summer, currently at Lord of Chaos.
It is as amazing as ever.

You know, OP, honestly, Wheel of Time is a series where you need to have some sort of faith in worldbuilding until it actually happens. I really do not want to spoil anything yet, lets just say that ALL WORLDBUILDING PAYS OFF BIG TIME.

Big time. The "I cant even comprehend how he managed to make all these threads work together" type of way. And then it gets even better, and then even bigger events happen, and it just keeps on becoming more epic, till it makes any other event in fantasy literature just second-rate. Seriously.

Wheel of Time could be renamed Payoff: Just Get Till Knife of Dreams for all I care, because it would be more truthful.
(Also: flawed characters are good. Irrational characters? Even better. Bland heroism is not interesting to me. Rand, Perrin, Mat, Elayne, Egwene, Nynaeve: They are all specifically flawed, and they inherited tons of folk bullshit when growing up which actively hinders them in weird ways. It is absolutely believable, imho.)

Meanwhile, Egwene and Elayne and Nyneave are STILL hunting the Black Ajah after like 2 whole books of this shit. I can't even remember if they made progress. I know they messed up their plans in book 3, but it's just frustrating to see them after hundreds of pages make such little progress on actually cornering them for so damn long. I decided to spoil myself, and apparently these black sisters stay on the run almost throughout the whole series.

Oh man. Yeah, better to quit at this stage. You'll only get angrier.

Perrin's plotline is probably the most well written and compelling of this book.

Hahaha. Just, thinking of where his storyline goes later in the series... lmao.

(did Jordan murder his editor or something)

Perhaps even worse - his editor was his wife.

To be honest, I love this series to bits, but you've got to have a bit of irony going into it, and accept that it's a corny soap opera with as much terrible nonsense as actual good drama. That's not for everyone, definitely.

I'll say this positive though: I really hope that one day, a decent adaptation of this is made. Because the general structure of the plot isn't bad. But virtually....everything about the writing makes this a journey I can't go on. An adaptation will have the advantage of not just cutting all the filler in the text, but may even rewrite the characters in order to make them better. Maybe some people will disagree with me, but I do not believe it is the job of adaptations to merely recreate a work, but to improve upon it. Kubrick himself said he liked to pick mediocre books to adapt because there he had more freedom to turn whats decent into something great. Well, for anyone who believes in that, Wheel of Time is a golden opportunity that should not be passed up.

I agree with this 500%. An adaptation of WoT would be a golden opportunity to take the same outline, but rework it into something that's less of a drawn out wasteland of pointless nothing and repetitive character quirks. I hope it happens one day.

Veelk

Banned
Exactly. I just reread book 1-5 AGAIN this summer, currently at Lord of Chaos.
It is as amazing as ever.

You know, OP, honestly, Wheel of Time is a series where you need to have some sort of faith in worldbuilding until it actually happens. I really do not want to spoil anything yet, lets just say that ALL WORLDBUILDING PAYS OFF BIG TIME.

Big time. The "I cant even comprehend how he managed to make all these threads work together" type of way. And then it gets even better, and then even bigger events happen, and it just keeps on becoming more epic, till it makes any other event in fantasy literature just second-rate. Seriously.

Wheel of Time could be renamed Payoff: Just Get Till Knife of Dreams for all I care, because it would be more truthful.

Spoil away. I've been browsing the TV tropes page to read what I missed. So far, it just tells me I would have gone as mad as a channeler with a penis had I continued reading.

And honestly, I usually agree that every series should have it's due to pay off. But I've read over 3000 pages of this dreck at this point. This is final fantasy 13 "Just play for 30 hours, it gets super good after that!" levels of investment your asking of me here. Every single chapter is a irritating to get through, because on the rare occasion someone doesn't do something pants on head stupid, the actual prose still makes it irritating to actually read. And I still have another 400 pages to go. And you want me to get to Knife of Dreams, which is.....THE ELEVENTH BOOK?!

Spoil away, V_Arnold, don't hold back. It'd be super impressive to actually see you put forth a convincing enough arguement for why I should punish myself when I could be reading a dozen other books I know to be better.

(Also: flawed characters are good. Irrational characters? Even better. Bland heroism is not interesting to me. Rand, Perrin, Mat, Elayne, Egwene, Nynaeve: They are all specifically flawed, and they inherited tons of folk bullshit when growing up which actively hinders them in weird ways. It is absolutely believable, imho.)

This is a really poor excuse for characters being offensively stupid. Irrational characters can be good if they are taken to interesting paths, but this is not the case that I've seen here. If a character is making some stupid decision for literally no reason other than to generate false drama, that's not a flawed character, that's flawed writing.

It was book ten when I gave up, after several of the characters spent the entire book picking dresses they thought Rand would like and the situation was almost exactly the same at the end as it was at the start.
I read book eleven back in 2005 and that was the last straw. I don't see myself picking up from book twelve a decade later, and I sure as shit don't see myself reading these 11 books again.

There's a great universe and mythology that could make very interesting spin-off projects, but I didn't care for that writing or characterization.

As an aside, I'm almost done with the Liveship Traders trilogy, and these books keep getting better. Hobb has a real knack for characterization.

Veelk

Banned
Oh man. Yeah, better to quit at this stage. You'll only get angrier.

Honestly, when this plotline was introduced, I was hyped. Fucking tactical game of cat and mouse, yeah!....then the climax of the second book happens, where they walk into the obvious trap. A trap so obvious that they KNOW it's there, yet still walk into it without having done anything to counter it, because somehow they just believe if they have some kind of advantage if they walk into a trap while knowing it's a trap.

Just.....*sigh*, I can't take shit that stupid.

Hahaha. Just, thinking of where his storyline goes later in the series... lmao.

Do tell. I'm pretty much done with the series. I have no fear of spoilers.

To be honest, I love this series to bits, but you've got to have a bit of irony going into it, and accept that it's a corny soap opera with as much terrible nonsense as actual good drama. That's not for everyone, definitely.

I hear Sanderson does the same thing but better. I'm actually more willing to check him out than I was before. I love the ideas that WoT is juggling around (other than the gender binary thing, seriously, waht is with that), but Jordan pulled off NONE of it.

Draxal

The Shadow Rising is considered the best book in the series by many, so if you hated it. It is a good choice to step away from the series.

http://www.tor.com/2012/03/14/wheel-of-time-musings-the-shadow-rising/

Brandon Sanderson on the book.

Many of the lifelong fans of the Wheel of Time, myself included, point to this novel as their favorite of the series.

I think that baffles some readers, the ones to whom the Wheel of Time just doesn’t speak. (That’s perfectly all right, by the way. Not every book is going to appeal to every reader.)

So its fine not to like it.

AxeMan

Yep - from there to book 12 were a real, real slog. Painful

I liked 13 and I've just started 14.
If I didn't like not leaving things complete I'd never had made it.
Wish I'd never started

bionic77

...The last three books written by Sanderson were absolutely fantastic though.
Agreed.

Ending was worth the journey (for me at least).

I started reading these books in the fucking 90s. Started to read through them again and I like it more reading them one after another.

Though even that probably can't help with some of the fluff in the middle of the series.

The Llama

I got through book 1. So much travelling and then the end wtf? Got about halfway through book 2 and debating whether to try picking it back up or whether I need to restart book 1...

Do tell. I'm pretty much done with the series. I have no fear of spoilers.

The series in general gets very bogged down around books 8-10, with a bunch of unimportant subplots that drag on for ages before finally being wrapped up in a hurry in book 11. Perrin's storyline about his wife getting kidnapped is among the worst offenders. It's sort of infamous - he just kind of goes on hold for several books and does nothing of any real value.

LordOfChaos

I (obviously from my name) liked it all the way through. 4 and 8 are the low points of the series, if you can't make it, maybe even read the wiki summary and skip ahead.

The last three books payoff was well worth it.

WOT is a love it or hate it series. If it hasn't pulled you in by now, it's not going to. I and many others think its an excellent series with an incredible depth of plot weaving and worldbuilding but a decidedly upsetting amount of slog in the later entries. I'll agree with people saying the Sanderson books are quite good, but I have my own issues with them (he doesn't really nail down the voices of some characters, like Mat) and I think it isn't worth your time to slog through something you don't enjoy.

Personally, I really enjoyed the slow buildup of all the various factions with their own motivations and their own subplots (black tower, white tower, tower in exile, aiel, the various forsaken, dark one, cairhien nobility, seanchan, and that's just the ones I think of off the top of my head, not having read the books since book 14 released), and the gossip/rumors theme that plays throughout the series was one I adored.

Draxal

I (obviously from my name) liked it all the way through. 4 and 8 are the low points of the series, if you can't make it, maybe even read the wiki summary and skip ahead.

The last three books payoff was well worth it.

nah, there's no way 4's the low point of the series (alot of people and sanderson consider it the best book).

7-8-9-10 is where everybody really hates the series.

WOT is a love it or hate it series. If it hasn't pulled you in by now, it's not going to. I and many others think its an excellent series with an incredible depth of plot weaving and worldbuilding but a decidedly upsetting amount of slog in the later entries. I'll agree with people saying the Sanderson books are quite good, but I have my own issues with them (he doesn't really nail down the voices of some characters, like Mat) and I think it isn't worth your time to slog through something you don't enjoy.

Personally, I really enjoyed the slow buildup of all the various factions with their own motivations and their own subplots (black tower, white tower, tower in exile, aiel, the various forsaken, dark one, cairhien nobility, seanchan, and that's just the ones I think of off the top of my head, not having read the books since book 14 released), and the gossip/rumors theme that plays throughout the series was one I adored.

Sanderson doesn't write Matt as well, and he made Egwene two completely different characters.

When it started out, I enjoyed it as a more mature version of the Belgariad (mostly because Rand had sex with everything that had a skirt). There was a level progression that seemed logical - okay, kill these bad guys on the way and then the main bad guy. Then that never happened, and instead we get forty POV characters and a million supporting ones, while old ones get ignored.

And even back then (like 20 years ago) I could spot the flaws in the writing. X folds her arms beneath her breasts, indeed.

Daedardus

I think I stopped at 7 or 8, that's when it got really painful to continue and everybody said it didn't get any better. That was before Sanderson completed it though.

Sulik2

I think I've read Shadow Rising seven times, you are either with the intricate plotting and slow pace of the WoT books until they rush to some cool conclusion in every book or your not.

nah, there's no way 4's the low point of the series (alot of people and sanderson consider it the best book).

Sanderson doesn't write Matt as well, and he made Egwene two completely different characters.

He finally got Matt by the last book. Egwene was different, but I'm still not sure if that was on purpose on Sanderson just writing her different. His Perrin and Rand were perfection though.

Yep - from there to book 12 were a real, real slog. Painful

I liked 13 and I've just started 14.
If I didn't like not leaving things complete I'd never had made it.
Wish I'd never started

Have fun with A Memory of Light, its the best finale to a fantasy series I've ever read. Basically everything in the entire series pays off.

Veelk

Banned
It's quite good in this series. And it has the best magic system I've ever read.

As far as world building goes, it's quite detailed, but everyone sharing the same language and religion simply makes no sense to me, and it harms the narrative not just because it's unrealistic but because it simplifies the antagonists into bad guys that you can't even entertain may have good motives for what they do. Not to mention that, whether you like the worldbuilding or not, it's over explained and detailed. One early example is when Moraine gave the Two Rivers an hour long lecture while they had been about to burn her. Had she gotten to the point earlier, it would have been a super effective scene, but I just imagined the people starting to get bored and look at clocks to see if class was over yet. And god knows the whole Aiel shtick could have been written more succinctly.

As far as the magic system goes, it feels pretty....well, arbitrary. You have power levels, but beyond that, it doesn't seem clear what the One Power can or cannot do, and that doesn't include the magic items that do even wierder stuff up to and including time travel, which doesn't include other stuff that seem to have no place at all in the One Power like Perrin's wolf telepathy. The only real element that seems emphasized beyond all others is BOIZ AND GURLZ R DIFFRENT!!!1, which is is hammered in at almost every instance of the book.

I think it's okay, especially for the cultural implications of women being the only ones able to use magic, but it's a farcry from the best ever. But then again, the characters still are at a point where they don't understand the magic, so....

I think I've read Shadow Rising seven times, you are either with the intricate plotting and slow pace of the WoT books until they rush to some cool conclusion in every book or your not.

Definitely not for me. I noticed this in the earlier books and expected that this was an early kink in the storytelling and the author would learn to pace out the narrative more evenly instead of writing out half the book and then going "Oh shit, I actually need to end this shit", but apparently it's not a bug but a feature.

Khoryos

I really think the series is vastly improved if you just skip any chapter from a female PoV.
Or mentally find-and-replace "Braid" with basically anything else.

You'd really put 8 as a lower point than 10? I'm intrigued to know what you liked about book 10.

Unrelated, but I just remembered my other favourite least favourite thing about the series: the way the mini-bosses start getting killed off, but then a bunch of them get resurrected and keep going, like Jordan realised he'd killed them off too quickly. Sort of takes away the feeling of progression (and tension). Later books have the villains being just as silly and gossipy as the main characters, which is fun, but tough to take seriously.

SamVimes

I read the whole series (don't ask me why) and it only gets worse. It has some good parts later on, but I would say it's absolutely not worth it.

massoluk

Banned
People that stopped at book 7 or 10 don't know what they are missing. As said, the payoff was worth it. I thought Shadow Rising was absolutely the high point of the series though, if you hated that.. then aw shucks.

TheChaos0

I've reread the the first 3 books recently. It's still good but some bits are a bit of a slog. There's loads of world building going on that you don't see any return until much later in the series.

I need to finish rereading everything so I can finally finish the series. I haven't read any of the books since Jordan passed away :(.

NandoGip

Stop over thinking it. The series is amazing and you won't regret powering through. Switch to the audio books if anything.

snacknuts

we all knew her
At first I thought you were talking about the Dark Tower for some reason, and I was going to tell you that book four is a good place to stop. Never mind.

bionic77

Have fun with A Memory of Light, its the best finale to a fantasy series I've ever read. Basically everything in the entire series pays off.
The whole last battle was done extremely well.

And Matt's character and his arc are really entertaining. During the boring books (for me a lot of 8-10 were a slog) any Matt storyline almost made up for the rest of the book. And a lot of the elements in those books came into play big time when Sanderson wraps it up in the final three books.

For me the journey was extremely satisfying.

I've reread the the first 3 books recently. It's still good but some bits are a bit of a slog. There's loads of world building going on that you don't see any return until much later in the series.

Ah, while I'm remembering things, you've reminded me of possibly my actual legit favourite thing about the series: Jordan really doesn't forget about anything. Even if he drops things for a while, every character and subplot in the whole series eventually comes back and is dealt with. In that sense, it's pretty satisfying to have read the whole thing.

It had severe pacing problems thats for damn sure. But, the payoff was so wooorth it. SoL was so fucking good. Man when Demandred shows up at the end with that giant fucking army and just wrecks everyone. They've been teasing him for books and he does not fucking disappoint. Then you got Mazrim being promoted to Forsaken and leading an army of dreadlords to wreck shit. Plus you have the remaining Forsaken working together to absolutely wreck everyone.

Yeah, the first time I tried getting through WOT, I stopped midway through book 7 (which is sad, because book 8 was where it really started to bog down in Aes Sedai politics).

Right. Like, I understand it's the climax of the series so you expect great things but I just don't think Sanderson surpassed Jordan on his own series or anything. He has his own style that I really enjoy, but it's not WOT.

explodet

I gave up around book 7 or 8. I forget, it was a long time ago.

What's worse is that I started reading the series in the 90s, at a time when only 4 books were published. My teenage self wanted more and more, so every time a new one was published I'd buy it and devour it over a day or two. Then I'd wait a year or so for the new volume.

After a couple years of that, I realized that was going to be the cycle for a long long time, because there was no end in sight. The literary equivalent of spinning donuts in a parking lot. I quit the series cold turkey.

Weird - books 4 and 5 were probably my favorites of the series (written by Jordan). Books 7-10 are where he goes off the rails and things start to meander (especially for Perrin). Mat is a worthless character in the first two books and kind of sucks, but he becomes awesome and is definitely the best character of the series by the end of his arc. Which is also why the end of book 13 is probably my favorite section of the whole series, too, because it centers on him.

But yeah - if book 4/5 doesn't grab you, you're in for a world of hurt as it gets more drawn out and slow in later books. 1-6 are good, 7-10 are bad, 11-14 are amazing. I think 7-10 could have been condensed into two good books but Jordan badly needed a better editor for them. Or maybe the publisher wanted him to stretch it out for more money? I dunno.

Still one of the most enjoyable fantasy series I've ever read overall, though.

Veelk

Banned
Ah, while I'm remembering things, you've reminded me of possibly my actual legit favourite thing about the series: Jordan really doesn't forget about anything. Even if he drops things for a while, every character and subplot in the whole series eventually comes back and is dealt with. In that sense, it's pretty satisfying to have read the whole thing.
You should read One Piece, if you're into anime/manga at all. I'm personally not a fan myself, but it's definitely popular in it's own crowd and is also one of those "writer never forgets anything" series.

But that doesn't overly impress me unless the stuff the writer does has me invested. People keep saying "oh, the payoff at the end is so great" and I'm sure it's cool to see a bunch of plot threads come to a head, but it's kind of like the CGI effect on movies. You need to care about whats happening in order for the big pay off to have actual impact. Just writing "And then Rand rode out on a dinosaur that was foreshadowed in book 8 into the Final Battle" isn't all that impressive to me as a story, even though dinosaurs are inherently awesome.

Kuros

Frankly amazed you made it to book 4.

If you like 5 pages of prose about how the river glistened in the sunlight and the flowers in the bushes before he gets to the plot in a chapter its one for you. Wasn't for me.

Tad Williams another author who suffers from this.

Clegg

The slow pace of the series never bothered me until book 8. From there it was a slog to finish to 10.

Knife of Dreams was a welcome return to form and it's a shame Jordan never got to finish the series in his own voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom