• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wheel of Time TV show airing tonight??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
I reckon this thing is gonna get pirated unusually much for what is probably going to be terrible and shitty. It is Wheel of TIme after all.

Also wonder if the right holders truly intend to make something with this and are just buying themselves some time, or something else.
I am thinking they're shooting themselves into a foot probably, no matter their intentions. If and when it is shitty, fans will react badly... and i figure giving bad reputation for this thing will not help in the future.
I might be wrong... but i doubt that.

(I figure we ain't getting a proper TV show or a film about WoT anytime soon no matter what happens.)

Effect

This isn't going to end well and pretty crappy this was likely done just to keep/get an extension on the rights. I've tried reading Wheel of Time a few times and got farther then I ever did with A Song of Ice and Fire series. A good adaption would be nice but not like this.

Facebook is freaking out about it. Or at least, the Wheel of Time page is, hah. Dragonmount was even down for a while.

For those looking for more information: Red Eagle owned the rights to WoT film/series. Contract said they needed to put out a pilot by around this time else they'd lose the rights. So... here we go. No advertising. Chances are it will be the quality of a high school film made in a parent's basement. The understanding right now is that this episode's sole purpose is so Red Eagle can keep on owning the rights.

So that sucks. At the same time, I am definitely curious. No matter how bad it is, I still want to see it.

Effect

I thought you couldn't just put out something just to keep the rights and basically squat on them. Couldn't they be taken to court over something like this to show they aren't making an honest effort to use the rights as intended?

Best case, one-in-a-million shot scenario: Despite being predictably godawful, high ratings (for a 1:30 in the morning time slot) and enough interest are generated that a legit WoT TV series can be set in motion.

But that won't happen :(

Krowley

I thought you couldn't just put out something just to keep the rights and basically squat on them. Couldn't they be taken to court over something like this to show they aren't making an honest effort to use the rights as intended?

Companies have gotten away with it before. The 90s Fantastic Four movie comes to mind.

I would imagine there is probably some requirement in the contract that the adaption be faithful enough to pass muster as a genuine attempt. Which means this might actually follow the opening of the book pretty closely.

zroid

Banned
i'm guessing this isn't going to be on FXX in Canada so probably won't get it here anyways... i'll check in at 1:30 just in case though

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Billy Zane's agent is so getting fired.

Edit: Holy shot, both Billy Zane and Max Ryan are producers on this as well. :jnc

mre

It's a sad commentary that this Kate Upton Game of War commercial will inevitably have higher production values than the show.

mre

Motherfucking Lews Therin is wearing an ascot. Get the fuck out of here.

mre

I think this was filmed for about $78.00 and a plate of subway sandwiches.

mre

Is there going to be a second episode? I assume they're doing the absolute minimum to maintain the rights.
There is no doubt in my mind that Red Eagle is paying to have this air for that sole purpose.

atr0cious

Just noticed from this that Billy Zane is actually in it. He's at least a real actor, and occasionally a very good one.

If this is the sort of rights grabbing scheme it seems to be, I wonder how he got roped into it? Or maybe his career is in the shitter at this point. I haven't really kept up.

Yes, I literally yelled his name out loud reading it. In this for Billy Zane.

This makes me sad.

oBEC3NN.gif

mre

"Kinslayer."

*dramatic guitar chords*

Holy fuck those lightning effects.

I had to change the station to this. WTF? I stopped reading these books like 10 years ago. Are they really dedicating a half hour to something that took up like 1/100th of the first book or whatever?

mre

When are the dragons going to get here
About 8 or 9 books in, if i remember correctly.

So:

No money on a script.
No (or little) money on a set (they're on location somewhere)
No (or little) money on costuming
Clearly no money on post-processing special effects
$699.99 for an iphone to film this thing with
I'm sure they had to pay Billy Zane and Max Ryan something.

What a load of bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom