• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wheel of Time TV show airing tonight??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamlet

Also any images? Any at all.
Even a potato cam

Quite a few here http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/2v9yyt/a_few_images_from_the_winters_bone_opening/

lsOUiQQ.png

Nairume

Banned
Billy Zane didn't seem to be chewing the scenery as much as he could have been.

Surely he doesn't think this actually has a chance to spawn something bigger.

Husker86

Such bullshit that something like this lets them keep the rights (from what I've seen/read, cancelled cable two weeks ago).

Man I want a TV show of this series so bad...

studyguy

I'll have to catch a rip of this or something since it'll probably never air again.
Zane's supposed to be Ishamael, right?

This was a one off shot, right? What the fuck I'm so confused.

Also wonder if the right holders truly intend to make something with this and are just buying themselves some time, or something else.
I am thinking they're shooting themselves into a foot probably, no matter their intentions. If and when it is shitty, fans will react badly... and i figure giving bad reputation for this thing will not help in the future.
I might be wrong... but i doubt that.
There might be the even shittier option that that someone else is interested in making a real attempt at a series, and these guys are just holding on to the rights to force the other guys to purchase them from them.

studyguy

Sanderson mentioned he didn't hear squat about this. Sounds like Red Eagle just holding on to that license then. WoT deserves a better fate.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Whew, but what the heck is going on in this show then?

Like... I guess Lews goes crazy and kills his family but is that it?
It's the prologue from The Eye of the World. Like, shot for shot. Except in those cases where the shot might require a special effect, such as when Lew was finally consumed with his grief and went nuclear.
Zane's supposed to be Ishamael, right?

This was a one off shot, right? What the fuck I'm so confused.
Yes, to both questions.

Ostensibly, this was a "pilot" for a new series. In reality, it seems to be a cheap attempt to maintain the rights to the series.

Rinoa

It's the prologue from The Eye of the World. Like, shot for shot. Except in those cases where the shot might require a special effect, such as when Lew was finally consumed with his grief and went nuclear.

Didn't Illyena have ~strawberry blonde~ hair though and that was a thing (like the only thing) about her character? What's with this arghhh

mre

Didn't Illyena have ~strawberry blonde~ hair though and that was a thing (like the only thing) about her character? What's with this arghhh
I don't recall Lews Therin wearing an ascot, yet here we are.

Sanderson mentioned he didn't hear squat about this. Sounds like Red Eagle just holding on to that license then. WoT deserves a better fate.
Red Eagle doesn't have the license, Universal does (they paid Red Eagle seven figures for it)

It was blonde when they showed her alive.

Drake

Does anyone else feel like studios shouldn't be allowed to do something like this? They are obviously not making this pilot in good faith. They have no intention of making more then this 1 episode. the only reason they did this was so they could hold the Wheel of Time rights hostage.

mre

Seems they didn't show the dragonmount being created, also a big part of that prologue.
Yep, which is why I said this:
:p

Rinoa

Yep, which is why I said this:

:p

Damn so it's completely all talking? I tried watching a stream and assumed I missed chunks.

Just saw the fist bump, combined with the heavy makeup on Illyana and the ascot... my brain is still processing that this company still gets the rights to WOT.

LordOfChaos

I have not seen it yet, but from everything I'm reading it was exactly what was feared/expected. Sigh. Such bullshit, if they don't even have bigger plans for it, and are just going to sit on it for another X years before the rights start to expire again.

Robert Jordan's wife (and official Wheel of Time editor) is pissed:

Harriet McDougal Rigney said:
This morning brought startling news. A “pilot” for a Wheel of Time series, the "pilot" being called Winter Dragon, had appeared at 1:30 in the morning, East Coast time, on FXX TV, a channel somewhere in the 700s (founded to concentrate on comedy, according to the Washington Post).

It was made without my knowledge or cooperation. I never saw the script. No one associated with Bandersnatch Group, the successor-in-interest to James O. Rigney, was aware of this.

Bandersnatch has an existing contract with Universal Pictures that grants television rights to them until this Wednesday, February 11 – at which point these rights revert to Bandersnatch.

I see no mention of Universal in the “pilot”. Nor, I repeat, was Bandersnatch, or Robert Jordan’s estate, informed of this in any way.

I am dumbfounded by this occurrence, and am taking steps to prevent its reoccurrence.

studyguy

Robert Jordan's wife (and official Wheel of Time editor) is pissed:

Holy shit.
They literally flew this shit so far under the radar.

This is like the most publicity I've heard on WoT since the final book dropped. God damn.
I'd like to see the rights moved to someone who will actually do something with it. This seems so scummy.

OnPoint

I am going to have to watch this.

But after popping around that youtube rip, I am not happy with it.

This will be a trainwreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom