• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When a 96 Metacritic is not enough.

lol at people finally realizing that all reviews from gaming sites dont matter, they havent for 20 years, once you sell adspace to game publishers and others in the buisness, accept pre review copies, attend events with expenses covered and take free merch you are indeed compromised, you never bite the hand that feeds you.

PresetError

Neophyte
This is blown out of proportion. So Sony contacted reviewers and asked why they didn't like the game and the portion of the internet that hates TLOU2 with a passion is prortraying it as retaliation and censoring. Like this ridiculous video I just watched.

The guy literally extracts the conclusion Sony is saying if you didn't give a good review to TLOU2 "you don't get to have an opinion". How? Why? Where does this conclusion come from?

In the final part of the video is where the explanation comes. The guy is butthurt that Sony didn't reply to him when he asked for a Ghost of Tsushima free copy.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Reminds me of the modern day review scale.

If it's not a perfect 10, it's worthless.

kj3gFME.jpg

The good old day when the reviews actually meant something. I still find myself enjoying mostly 7.5-8.5 games, while all the 9's and 10's feel like an overblown, paid hype.

I will never ever for the life of me get video game drama. Fights over reviews, console wars, all of it.

It seems so weird to me. You don't see this shit in TV. No one argues Comcast vs Verizon to the death or fights over Breaking Bad finale reviews.

At least not to this capacity. It's so fucking weird. I have to think it's mostly teenagers who care about this shit to such a degree, but apparently not.

You must have not heard about the great GOT rebellion.

As far as game reviews go the shit has hit the fan for years. When Sterling gave Breath of the Wild a 7 the mob was out before the review was even over. I liked and enjoyed TLOU2 a lot and personally I would give the game a 7.5. No new ground was made. I imagine I would not be a game reviewer for long.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This is blown out of proportion. So Sony contacted reviewers and asked why they didn't like the game and the portion of the internet that hates TLOU2 with a passion is prortraying it as retaliation and censoring. Like this ridiculous video I just watched.

The guy literally extracts the conclusion Sony is saying if you didn't give a good review to TLOU2 "you don't get to have an opinion". How? Why? Where does this conclusion come from?

In the final part of the video is where the explanation comes. The guy is butthurt that Sony didn't reply to him when he asked for a Ghost of Tsushima free copy.

Can't really expect much from someone with a channel plastered with this kind of dumb clickbait thumbnails, can we? 😂

... or Jim Sterling. Amazed someone still listens to this childish outrage peddler.

Last edited:

Fake

No. He does not. There's nothing "weird" or "uncomfortable" here besides him trying to desperately make money by peddling manufactured controversy as usual.

I talking about what he tweeted, not what you think about him. I really suggest you to read the Polygon article. Just by this conversation I know you're not a huge fan of him and thats totally fine.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Maybe they should Change Reviews scales to Something Like

1: Don't Play
2: Must Play

Some people seem to do that already. Especially on Youtube.

I actually don't think the 10 point scale is the problem.

I think the problem is with aggregators.

If you have a reviewer or outlet that you enjoy and trust then you will get a real sense of what a 7 means from that person.
You'll get the sense that a 9 out of 10 could be a game of the generation or maybe that guy always gives out 9s.

The aggregator just really makes it turn into an awful mess.

Then you've got the arrogance of critics to deal with.
They get so mad that the plebs would DARE give their newest favorite game a 3 or a 4.

Who really cares though?
If Harambe-9-11 on the user scores is giving the game 0 out of 10 why would I care? I dunno who that guy is!

If my mate Dave who likes all the same games as me saying "dude you need to play this" or "I'd avoid it to be honest" then that holds more weight.

The aggregators like Metacritic are a problem because they promote themselves as a good way to gauge the quality of a product and so the reviewers who get the privilege of adding to that aggregate score get a sense of authority from that.

I really only think these sites like Metacritic are any good when you are actively looking for something new to play.
So you can look at the games with 90+ and maybe read a few reviews to see if that's your thing.

Otherwise the review scores tend to go along with how much hype a game is getting.
How often do you see a genuinely HUGE release that doesn't come with a nice shiny green score?
Most of the time it's obvious that a game is good from early demos etc.

I'd rather see reviewers talk about genres and styles and try to show the audience what kind of game we are dealing with before exploring how well the game achieves it's goals.

Gamerguy84

Well this turned into the shitshow OP was going for.

The typical, I dont even own a PS, but HMB while I troll them..

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I talking about what he tweeted, not what you think about him. I really suggest you to read the Polygon article. Just by this conversation I know you're not a huge fan of him and thats totally fine.

Yes, and what he tweeted is bullshit.

I read polygon's "article" (quotation marks obligatory). It doesn't portray anything strange and it's simply trying to make a mountain out of a molehill in usual Polygon fashion. "Muh journalist rights! bwaaaaaah". Let's not even talk about the pathetic defense of Schreier's dumb hot take.

No one pressured anyone to change any opinion on the game. Gathering feedback on a game for their post-review report is part of a PR's job, and yes, that includes occasionally contacting journalists whose opinion could use further details or clarification. Some will do it more actively than others.

Which you would know if you paid attention to the thread instead of just parroting Jim "Controversy peddler" Sterling. 🤔

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte

I have a problem with "weird and unconfortable". As a reviewer you shold be free to express your opinion of a game and developers of such game should be free to give you feedback about your review. If the uncomfortable weirdness comes from the fact you get the impression they didn't like your review, why do you feel you are entitled to judge other people's work and they are not? It's very hypocritical.

In the end, it all stinks of that cultural marxism staple that you can only punch up and never down, reviewers being down and videogame companies being up. The bravery of speaking your mind lies in acceptig the negative repercussions of your opinions. Complaining about being held accountable for your opinions makes you a coward IMO.

Dontero

Banned
No longer 96.

It is fascinating how everyone who got early copy gave it 10/10 while now majority of people who didn't get copy from Sony shit on it.

Never trust early reviews.

unknown.png

Surely that initial wave of haters was wrong no ? Imagine 1000 people giving bad score for game.
Wait a second. What do i see ?

unknown.png

107 THOUSAND people gave it ratings and average is 5.0

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: MrS

ZZZZ

Well this turned into the shitshow OP was going for.

The typical, I dont even own a PS, but HMB while I troll them..
Exactly, i wasn't looking for a discussion about PR firms giving calls to journalists who reviewed a video game in a more critical fashion than his peers, the reason i created this thread was for it to turn into a war between fanboys.

giphy.webp

Don't worry i'm new here, next time i'll wait for a company not named Sony to create a thread like this.

At least i learned that it's a more common practice than what i expected, even though i disagree with it. Around 33% of the posts in this thread was the discussion i was looking for, big thanks for those that chimed in and talked about it, especially those that have experience with this.
OblongUntriedCow-small.gif

I don't believe i have to say this but yes, i did own a playstation 1 and 2, and i still own a playstation 3 and 4 but i didn't get a PRO.
Playstation 1 and 2 are my favorite consoles of all time.

No longer 96.

It is fascinating how everyone who got early copy gave it 10/10 while now majority of people who didn't get copy from Sony shit on it.

Never trust early reviews.

unknown.png

Surely that initial wave of haters was wrong no ? Imagine 1000 people giving bad score for game.
Wait a second. What do i see ?

unknown.png

107 THOUSAND people gave it ratings and average is 5.0
Problem is there are just about as many 10/10 fanboy reviews as there are 0/10 rage crybabies. Take this as seriously as a clown and mime doing a routine together. I think the big streamers offer more balanced reviews.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Exactly, i wasn't looking for a discussion about PR firms giving calls to journalists who reviewed a video game in a more critical fashion than his peers, the reason i created this thread was for it to turn into a war between fanboys.

giphy.webp

Don't worry i'm new here, next time i'll wait for a company not named Sony to create a thread like this.

At least i learned that it's a more common practice than what i expected, even though i disagree with it. Around 33% of the posts in this thread was the discussion i was looking for, big thanks for those that chimed in and talked about it, especially those that have experience with this.
OblongUntriedCow-small.gif

I don't believe i have to say this but yes, i did own a playstation 1 and 2, and i still own a playstation 3 and 4 but i didn't get a PRO.
Playstation 1 and 2 are my favorite consoles of all time.

Your OP said Embarrassing. The whole tone was different until, I cant remember his name, brought some sense to the thread.

I had a lengthy response but its all dumb. So nothing personal. There are a few threads here that stay pretty positive and ill try and stick to those..

ZZZZ

Your OP said Embarrassing. The whole tone was different until, I cant remember his name, brought some sense to the thread.

I had a lengthy response but its all dumb. So nothing personal. There are a few threads here that stay pretty positive and ill try and stick to those..
Because that's what i think it is, again, in my opinion any PR company giving calls to journalists who reviewed a video game in a more critical fashion than his peers and disguise it as "listening to feedback" is embarrassing. To me at least, but i wanted to hear everyone else opinion on it, it has nothing to do with the name of the company. David Cage, Rockstar and other company reactions to getting bad reviews are to me, embarrassing, especially when their games are critical darlings and a couple of bad ones are enough for them to start giving them calls or lashing out in social media.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
No, besides, I rate it 8/10.
The way they told the story is a mess and gameplay was good, but nothing special.

I just set it to very easy so I could finish the story as quickly as possible. Never done that before. Lol
(but I just don't feel like putting in much effort in general lately)

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

And that's the sole reason no dependent media will ever give anything below 8/10 for the big publishers AAA titles, they'll be cut from future review copies if they do so, and that's a situation no reviewer wants to put himself into, especially few months from next-gen launch.

Top Bottom