• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When are we going to get Pokemon games that depict the anime?

levyjl1988

Banned
The division of video game depictions in Anime vs In Game

Pokemon Red/Blue depiction of Pallet Town.

In Game:

What we played...

-Pallet Town

Anime:
What we watched and imagined it to be...
Masara-Town-672x372.png

303px-Professor_Oaks_Laboratory.png

-Pallet Town

Growing up with Pokemon we had to fill in the blanks of what the video game was trying to convey especially with the technological limitations at the time.

Anime
20131130144351!Lumiose_City_anime.png

-Lumiose City

In-Game
At least they are trying to get the scale right...

I personally hated games where you were the size of the town in the overall map, it felt lazy as the proportions were way off as if you were the size of the town itself.

474993-final-fantasy-iii-nes-screenshot-on-the-world-map.png

When are we going to get that GTA V, Witcher 3 open-world with the aesthetics of the anime, with a full Pokemon dex with that sense of awe and scope?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
never as long as Game Freak are around.

They are incompetent developers stuck in the past. It's 2019 and Sword/Shield is the best they can do. Don't even dare blame it on the Switch hardware. That's not the problem.

Pokemon makes a shit load of money and Game Freak have got far too lazy. They think they can just half ass it and all will be fine. The sad thing is that Sword/Shield will still probably sell really well. Unless people start putting their money where their mouth is then nothing will change.

Gargus

Banned
never as long as Game Freak are around.

They are incompetent developers stuck in the past. It's 2019 and Sword/Shield is the best they can do. Don't even dare blame it on the Switch hardware. That's not the problem.

Pokemon makes a shit load of money and Game Freak have got far too lazy. They think they can just half ass it and all will be fine. The sad thing is that Sword/Shield will still probably sell really well. Unless people start putting their money where their mouth is then nothing will change.

Well it is in part to the switch hardware because it's weak in every aspect. Because Nintendo doesn't care about hardware, they care about gimmicks.

But it's mostly game freaks fault for just shitting out games without trying to push things forward. And its equally Nintendo fault because they dont care about anything really besides jerking off the same old franchises over and over again that they have been jerking off for decades. They do not innovate or move ahead, the rate they occasion they do its quickly forgotten and they go back to the same old shit.

But let's be honest here. If the pokemon games were so truly and utterly shit then why do they keep selling? Answer is because a whole lot of people like them. So why would they change what's working for them? Sure it seems like a lot of people are unhappy to you with them but you also travel in a circle of like minded folks but there are millions and millions of people out there that do like them, and they out number you and your like minded comrades.

Well it is in part to the switch hardware because it's weak in every aspect. Because Nintendo doesn't care about hardware, they care about gimmicks..

Pokemon Sword Shield looking like absolute shit is not in any part Nintendo's fault nor the Switch hardware's.

@op:

I'm 34. And at this point I don't believe I'llive long enough to see Gamefreak making that dream Pokemon game that most fans really desire. Gamefreak behaves as if new hardware has to drag them by their hair to improve the quality of Pokemon, but it's always the minimum effort. I'll give a road map of what I expect Pokemon generations to be like:

- current gen (Sword Shield): Upscaled 3DS-graphics
- gen+1: PSVita-graphics
- gen+2: Upscaled Wii-graphics plus fully free camera
- gen+3: Switch-graphics with limited areas
- gen+4: PS4-graphics with open world, but little interaction
- gen+5: PS5-graphics with raised level of interaction
- gen+6: Dream Pokemon-game

That's between 18 and 30 years until we get the Pokemon-game we wish for. So much stuff can happen between then and now. I'm not going to keeo waiting.

Fuck Gamefreak. All hail Monolith Soft.

They don't want to mix the Anime with the Games to be honest for one obvious reason.

c785ba6e651974038500d0a7fb2b9bea.jpg

The Anime has moves that are not possible in Game for instance, which I would have loved to see.

The Games are also not supposed to show GTAV levels of detail, or else it'd take ages to get these games out.

Game Freak certainly need new blood in the Company to make the games....40+ is not enough anymore.

If Gamefreak wants Pokemon to evolve and really take the series somewhere take the GameCube game formula, expand the story, add more pokemon, bring back random battle, keep the steal system with a consequences system, and allow for more rpg elements.

Virex

Banned
It would unfortunately put GameFreak in a position where they will have to actually put effort into making it. And that is a lot to ask of GameFreak

Inanilmaz

Lets be honest we would do the same, sitting on our asses and do little to nothing when the main games would sell always 15M+. I would even add a message at the end credits where i write: well done buying my low effort product, shitheads. And it would not even have any effects on the future sales 😂

-Arcadia-

Banned
A game that looked like, or somewhat like those anime screens, would be amazing. I had never even considered that a direction for Pokémon’s evolution, but it makes so much sense.

Lanrutcon

Never.

If Gamefreak had to develop a Pokemon game on a current gen console they'd piss themselves and spend 3 years coming up with excuses.

You get developers that push the envelope, and then you get asshats that re-use assets from a fucking 3DS game in 2019.

JimiNutz

Banned
When Game Freak get sucked into a black hole and disappear from our universe leaving Nintendo to take ownership of the franchise.

Or

When rabid fanboys stop buying the games and sales dramatically decline.

Shifty

When Game Freak start treating the series as a piece of expressive work instead of a money-making vehicle.

Magic 8-Ball says "the outlook is grim".

Saber

Gold Member
Probably never, because GF its a bunch of imcopetent lazy developers that couldn't even have take the mouse cursor away from their own credits.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I don't understand people who are hating on Game Freak for doing what works for them
People will lose their shit over Pokemon not updating their Engine etc, but flock and praise this game

People are weird

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
If we have more years of development and a good direction, we can get
I don't understand people who are hating on Game Freak for doing what works for them
People will lose their shit over Pokemon not updating their Engine etc, but flock and praise this game

People are weird

Goose Game was made by four people, looks amazing as it is, it's not an expensive game and it's fun as hell

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
It's technically closer to your classic RPG vs monster battler, but Blue Dragon had full HD towns that resembled anime in 2007. You know? On the Xbox 360 that came out nearly 2 generations ago.

bTSSJBR.jpg

HOqfTYF.jpg

The tech was always there. It's the actual talent required to make these games and Gamefreak doesn't care.

Take the redpill and just support other developers who put in the effort instead. If anything, the reason why we don't see more games like the above is because people rather support brand names than actual new IPs that actually try to be different or innovative.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
If we have more years of development and a good direction, we can get

Goose Game was made by four people, looks amazing as it is, it's not an expensive game and it's fun as hell
Goose game is also incredibly more simplistic in terms of an engine, scale, and story as well

Other people would argue that it does look amazing as is, and compared to games with microtransactions or paid expansions/DLC would see it as a cheap buy

Just food for thought

I for one don't mind how it looks in hand held mode, but was very disappointed to see it's not really bumped up when it's docked

Fbh

To play devils advocate for a bit. Based on what I've seen from the new game, at least towns do look a bit better and more complex as far as looks and overall layout goes. They seem to have moved past the flat square area of most previous games.

But as for when you'll actually get a legit open world game on the Scale of the Witcher or GTAV? LOL never. Gamefreak lacks the talent and manpower to make anything on that scale and neither them, nor Nintendo, nor the Pokemon company have any interest in investing the sort of money such a project would require (even though they could afford it).
They continue to sell really well and even get good reviews with what they are currently doing so they have no incentive to put in the extra money. And I bet if they ever see a drop in sales and the media stops giving them the small indie dev treatment, they'd rather just go all in on mobile.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
The franchise is the very reason for the lack of ambition. Doing what they do its a dream to any company.
Only when the company is lazy. But not all companies are like them.

If I had Pokémon on my hands, I would have been paying devs for years to develop an MMO, and cover me and fans with Pokémon glory.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The anime is terrible though.
x1080

We should be getting a game based on the manga.
fl1bxppeufm31.jpg

Yes.

Top Bottom