• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Cocky/Funny Goes Too Far: The @sshole Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumanoki

It's a question that has plagued 'nice guys' from the beginning-- why is it these girls want the abusive, insensitive jerks? We listen to their sob stories, how he didn't remember her birthday, or slept with her best friend, reminding us the whole time that we're sooooo sweet to listen to her problems. It's amazing. Even girls who've been burned in a relationship before fall for the irresistable asshole.

What the hell is up with that?

Azala

Women want assertive, that doesn't mean aggressive or jerkish, but sometimes both sexes lose sight of that and/or confuse the two.

Personally, I want a nice guy who will treat me like a Queen, romance me, open doors - the whole shabang. Alone he had better be capable of both romance and assertiveness, as I enjoy the entire spectrum from passionate and loving to domination (within reason). There's a big difference between role-playing and knowing you're respected and safe regardless and feeling cheapened. If a guy is a real jerk, he's to the curb. Likewise, if he has no backbone. People seem to lose sight of the fact there's extremes on either spectrums and neither is appealing.

NLB2

Banned
Cubsfan23 said:
uh what does this have to do with cocky and funny?
Cocky and funny can often times become assholish if there's not enough funny, or if the girl is overly sensitive.

Socreges

Banned
kumanoki said:
It's a question that has plagued 'nice guys' from the beginning-- why is it these girls want the abusive, insensitive jerks?
1) When they don't treat their girlfriends like shit, they're often exciting
2) By treating a girl like shit, you make them think that you're hot shit and a privilege to be with

Still, unless these girls are in high school (mostly naive and have poor judgement), any woman who dates a shithead is probably not terribly bright.

Matlock

Banned
Women date assholes because they're usually the Alpha Male. Chicks dig that. You can't just invent it, of course, but when you are the man...well, they recognize.

To call them "not bright" is dull within itself, as it is a sociological pattern that shows no sign of breaking soon.

I am not "the man"

Socreges

Banned
Matlock said:
Women date assholes because they're usually the Alpha Male. Chicks dig that. You can't just invent it, of course, but when you are the man...well, they recognize.

To call them "not bright" is dull within itself, as it is a sociological pattern that shows no sign of breaking soon.
Since when are alpha males necessarily shitheads? It's fantastic that you've learned this phenomenon and managed to incorporate it into this every day discussion, but I don't think it's relevant.

Dilbert

Maybe I just had a bad day at work, but did anyone else think -- based on the title -- this thread was going to be about something else? ;)

Loki

Count of Concision
-jinx- said:
Maybe I just had a bad day at work, but did anyone else think -- based on the title -- this thread was going to be about something else? ;)

:lol

In which case he'd need a proctologist. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom