• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Jem and the Holograms My Favorite 80's Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
NbCSOaX.gif

I came onto Jem and the Holograms way after it finished airing when it appeared on the Hub a few years ago and watched following episodes through TV/YouTube. This show quickly became one of my favorites due to the absurdity in the Misfits and Eric Raymond's plans and the heartfelt character centric episodes. Some bypassing thing reminded me of the show this year and I decided to rewatch it on Netflix making this my third run through the entire series.

Every episode throughout the show's three seasons isn't good however, but let's take a quick look at the best and weakest of Season 1.

The highlights of Season 1 are "The Beginning", "Disaster", "Starbrights Pts. 1-3" and "The Jem Jam Pts. 1-2".

4YnMnUG.png

We're introduced Jerrica Benton who recently inherited a music label and foster home from her deceased father. Eric Raymond, current CEO, is introduced here and without knowing anything about the show I could tell from his face that he was going to be a villain. Now Jerrica owns half of the company along with Eric and seeks a way to get control as Eric refuses Jerrica to make any decisions for the company.

At this point, Jerrica discovers a pair of earrings left by her dad that are remote devices for a supercomputer that projects holograms and sound. With this new technology and some instruments and costumes found along with the computer Jerrica Benton becomes Jem a rock n roll singer, and creates the band Jem and the Holograms to enter a Battle of the Bands contest to gain control of her company Starlight music.

We get our first dose of Misfits fuckery in this episode with their introduction causing Jem and the Holograms to swerve off a road and almost falling off a cliff. Throughout the shows run we'll have plenty more examples of things they've done that they should've been in jail for. In this first episode the Misfits and Eric Raymond commit breaking and entering, arson, assault, and theft. All this fuckery in one episode is what pulled me in.

eCfzjJO.png

Coming back to this first episode forgot how bad the animation was in the first few episodes. This shit looks rough. The animation does get better later on though and it changes a few more times throughout the shows run.

From there "Disaster" and "Battle of the Bands" conclude the arc set up in the first episode. We get more of the Misfits and Eric Raymond's over the top criminal actions with my favorite from this one being when the Misfits hijack a yacht almost crash it into another ship. This is the first time someone mentions calling the cops, but Kimber says "we'll get the last laugh". I was like okayyy.

The "Starbright" episodes is where start to see some of the depth in the characters. Kimber tries to flirt with one of the actors in their movie and gets cut cold. She first meets the stuntman Jeff here who will become important later. What irked me a bit in this episode is how the black makeup artist believes what Pizzazz says about Jem and talks behind her back later on and then later feels ashamed when she finds out she was wrong. These episodes also revealed that Pizzazz actually has a rich father which made me go from thinking that she's tough to that she's a spoiled brat.

The Jem Jam episodes was notable to me because of the celebrity guests. Here we have fake Stevie Wonder, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Tina Turner, and Michael Jackson. The highlight for these episodes for me were the interactions between the Michael Jackson character and the black Starlight girl Krissie. He's pompous and spoiled, but the two come together once he has a near death experience and Krissie tries to console him.

The weakest out of S1 for me were "The Last Resort" and "Old Meets New". "The Last Resort" isn't bad it's just not all that interesting and Old Meets New is just boring.

episode28.jpg

Season 2 kicks off well with "The Talent Search" which are two of the best in the show. Shana leaves the Holograms in pursuit of a career in fashion design and the others create a contest to find a new member. It was very easy to tell who the new one was going to be. Significant characters in this show have an unnatural hair color so I knew it was either going to Craig or Raya and it would go to Raya since the Holograms is an all girl group.
One of the most hilarious moments occur in part 2 when Craig puts the fear of God into Eric and the Misfits. This episode also gives us a bit more of Shana's character as was seen in the Italy episode. Unfortunately, we don't get any episodes after this that focuses on a particular hologram leaving Aja as the only one without a character.

The other highlights from Season 2 include: "The Bands Break Up", "Danse Time", "Roxy Rumbles", "Alone Again", "Out of the Past" "Hollywood Jem Pts. 1-2" and my favorite "The Fan".

The Misfits find an ad in the paper from a millionaire offering a reward for anyone who can give him Jem's identity. They go to his house and propose a plan that will get him his answer. This plan involves building a replica of Starlight Mansion, hiring actors, and making a home video about Jem's life. The Misfits have caused a lot of fuckery throughout this show, but their infliction of psychological damage in this episode takes the cake for me. Oh how I wish I could watch this episode for the first time again. The actors the Misfits hire have photorealistic masks and can perfectly imitate her friends voices so this is totally convincing.
Jem starts to question who she is and her own insanity in this story. The two funniest parts in this episode is when Kimber's actor almost gives herself away when she fails to play a note and then does a very fake faint and when Jem walks into a wall and knocks herself out.
The episode being funny aside, it also shows how stupid the Misfits are. They won and didn't realize it. At the beginning when Jem takes Kimber to the side and says "if anyone should know who I am it's my sister" that should have rung some bells in their head. The actor stupidly says "Alright, tell me who your sister is and I'll ask her,". You know that Kimber is Jerrica's sister so that means Jem is Jerrica! But they continue to be dumb when the Jerrica doppleganger comes in and Jem asks "Now who are you supposed to be?". This Misfits are S-T-U-P-I-D.

This is taking longer than I wanted to so I'll make these last bits short. I have to give props to "Alone Again" too. This was the episode where the Holograms get a new foster child that gets hooked on drugs. They handled it in a mature fashion without making it feel too much like an after school special.

"Roxy Rumbles" gives some depth to the titular character. In "Dear Diary" it was subtly hinted that Roxy couldn't read. I didn't realize it at the time, but on following viewings I caught that little hint. So Roxy can't read and Pizazz and Jetta make fun of her upsetting her. While on a walk she fines a lotto ticket and hits the million dollar jackpot. Like the average poor person who hits it big, she starts going berserk with that money; buying jewelry fancy cars, dropping money carelessly. We find out sista is from East Philly and unlike Pizazz she's the real deal. She used to hang out with thugs on the street and going off the dialogue with those guys we can assume she dropped out of high school too. If the shit earlier didn't suggest she couldn't handle money, then the following sequences lay that out plain. She throws a little carnival/concert for the town and is not prepared for the amount of people. When you giving away free shit, people act a fool and that had cost her all of her money and she wound up running back to the Misfits, smh. This was a really enjoyable episode, however, I thought the reading message was a little forced.

CKfXGRl.gif

"The Bands Break Up" is a cute little episode. The two most meager and naive members of each band wind up together and the duo performance threw me for a loop. Who expected that voice to come out of 19 year-old Kimber? Bitch sound like she's thirty-five. I've seen a lot of people on the internet say that they get lesbian vibes from Kimber and Stormer's relationship in this, but I don't and I'm a lesbian. I knew despite Kimber and Stormer having experience in the music industry that they were going to get fucked by that contract because both of them are naive as fuck. That wouldn't have worked on Jem or Pizazz.

episode49.jpg

"Out of the Past" may very well be my favorite episode as it gives the origin of Synergy and the history of Kimber and Jerrica's mother and their father's death. It's a rather touching episode, but I can't understand why Jerrica decided to try and talk to Eric. She should have made a distraction with Synergy and stole the album back. Instead, she tries and talk Eric out of it and his response was basically, "bitch, do you think I was playing" and tossed the albums into the fireplace. Jerrica's father was a next level genius by creating Synergy. With all the uses for it it baffles me that the main use for it is an arbitrary music persona that I think she should've ditched after the first episode.

Season 2 has a lot of good, but a good bit of bad ones as well. "Shangri-La", "Journey Through Time" and "Renaissance Man" were so boring and veered off from the usual feel of the series. As I mentioned earlier there are a lot of episodes in this season where the animation changes. "Music Is Magic" written by Batman TAS writer Paul Dini is animated like a Scooby-Doo cartoon and even has music similar to it. These episodes stick out like a sore thumb and usually indicates to me that I won't enjoy it with the exceptions of "Music Is Magic" and "The Presidential Dilemma".

Though Season 2 had a quite a few bad episodes, I feel that Season 3 is actually the weakest. Apart from "The Stingers Hit Town" "A Change of Heart", "Riot's Hope" and the final episode "A Father Should Be" I don't care for it. A few other episodes are watchable, but with the season being so short their flaws stick out more.

The first two episodes introduce us to the new band villains The Stingers who I find enjoyable, but not as interesting as The Misfits. These first two episodes had me confused at first. I legit thought Riot had Kilgrave powers in those two episodes because he calmed a rioting crowd with his voice and later another riot happened and when he dragged Jem out of it he said "Things usually calm down after I leave". I was disappointed when I found out it wasn't true. That would've been a funny running gag.

car64.jpg
MiQXYiH.png

But the two best episodes here are "Riot's Hope" and the finale. I never thought I'd feel sympathy for Riot who came across as a complete douche. His relationship with his father and mother was pretty sad. Bonnie's desperation to find out about her father in the next episode was equally touching. The resolution from Riot's episode continues here when Jem asks Riot to ask his father for military records that could let to Bonnie's father.
It leads down to three men all with red hair. One works in a factory and is certain he isn't the father, the next is a gambler who only claims Bonnie when he finds out the girl is one of Jem's foster kids, and an artist with amnesia. You'll probably figure out who is the real father, but the exposition of it was entertaining to go through. One thing that bothered me with this episode though was how The Misfits came in to congratulate Bonnie and see her off when every episode before we see that they hate children and don't give a shit about the Starlight girls. Stormer is the only one I'd believe would actually do it, but she wouldn't go there if the other members weren't. That scene came off as it was the last episode so they wanted the Misfits to make one final appearance so they shoehorned them into this scene, despite it being out of character.

Overall I still like this show as much as I did when I first started watching it. I wanted to say a lot more but this became too long and I started to be all over the place. For any other Jem fans here. What do you like about the show and what are you favorite episodes?

Also, before I forget, fuck the movie!

kunonabi

I grew up watching the show because of my sister. I loved it then and I still enjoy it today as I'm actually in the middle of a rewatch. It's a shame the new comic and movie turned out to be such garbage.

I grew up watching the show because of my sister. I loved it then and I still enjoy it today as I'm actually in the middle of a rewatch. It's a shame the new comic and movie turned out to be such garbage.

I've read two issues of the comic and really liked what I read, what is it that you don't like about them?

I watched this a year ago.
Really good, except the handful of episodes that were clearly done by Hannahbarbara, they fucking suck.

I really liked the episode and song about fathers.

Rio is the greatest. You think he knew Jerrica was Jem? I mean, he had to..

I never saw the show, and didn't know about it much if at all until the movie was released. I've still yet to see the cartoon, but wouldn't mind doing so sometime. Though I've seen the awful movie.

Indelible

I watched it for the first time last year, it is still entertaining in a cheesy 80's way. The music was particularly good, especially when the Misfits were playing.

Deft Beck

Jem is such a crazy show that's at its best when it isn't trying to be serious.

We don't talk about the movie.

I remember the first several chapters of the comic were very well received. Did something change?

tornjaw

The first time I had heard of anything connected to this cartoon was through Guitar Hero. It was covered by a group called Freezepop on their album Fancy-Ultra Fresh.

BriGuy

Never saw the show, but there's a parody on YouTube called "Jizz" that focuses on Jem, er Jizz, talking all of her band mates into getting abortions. It's an experience alright.

Kenai

This is one of the DVD collections I've been meaning to pick up from WalMart. This cartoon was way better than it had any right to be and still holds up today.

Tizoc

Didnt the misfits hire an agent who gave 0 fucks and planned on killing people and being able to get away with it

I haven't seen all of it but we watched a bunch a while back after finding it on Netflix.

It's truly, truly, truly amazing when it's occasionally good and truly, truly, truly hilarious when (more often than not) it's bad. Nice music and the accompanying videos are always a highlight.

Eric and the Misfits really put a lot of lives in danger. Rio is also a cheating idiot but... were Jem/Jerrica really any better for rolling with that?

kyser73

My 6 year old daughter got into it via Netflix, so my wife & I have been on a bit of a nostalgia trip over it.

I'm old enough to remember watching this when it was fresh, though I didn't remember much of it other than the music videos.

After revisiting it later on DVD, it still holds up fairly well, some minor animation and wacky plots aside (the back half of season 2 is especially notorious).

Can't say I have a favorite episode, maybe Roxy Rumbles or The Bands Break Up; The Day the Music Died is also fun, because of how it breaks the fourth wall.

Fun fact: The Misfits' songs ARE better.

Truth. Gimme A Gimmick, I Am A Giant, Universal Appeal, Designing Woman, Taking It All, Scandal, Congratulations, Makin' Mischief, Surprise Surprise... lots of good songs.

The Holograms have a few good ones, like Only The Beginning, We Can Change It, Time Is Runnin' Out, Broadway Magic, Music Is Magic.

Didnt the misfits hire an agent who gave 0 fucks and planned on killing people and being able to get away with it

Zipper? I know he accidentally burned down the Starlight House, but the Misfits themselves (except Stormer, usually) and Raymond were more likely to commit straight up murder to get what they wanted, lol.

I watched this a year ago.
Really good, except the handful of episodes that were clearly done by Hannahbarbara, they fucking suck.

I really liked the episode and song about fathers.

Rio is the greatest. You think he knew Jerrica was Jem? I mean, he had to..
There was one episode where he suspsected it in Season 1 and instead of just telling him Jerrica created a Jem hologram nearby. I always thought there was no point in her creating the Jem persona after the first episode, but after people seeing both Jem and Jerrica in one room, you have to stick with it.

I haven't seen all of it but we watched a bunch a while back after finding it on Netflix.

It's truly, truly, truly amazing when it's occasionally good and truly, truly, truly hilarious when (more often than not) it's bad. Nice music and the accompanying videos are always a highlight.

Eric and the Misfits really put a lot of lives in danger. Rio is also a cheating idiot but... were Jem/Jerrica really any better for rolling with that?

Yeah, those two had some issues. The only couple that appeared to have a good relationship was Shana and her boyfriend.

Sanjuro

I've been actually hearing his opinion more and more in the wild.

Maybe I'll check out a few, but I really only have memory of the opening.

I find the lack of Misfits pictures and gifs in the OP disturbing.

car39.jpg

I would've have put some if I hadn't gotten tired, but now on the subject of the Misfits, my favorite of the four is definitely Roxy. In Roxy Rumble when I found that she was from the streets and had the Money Mayweather thing going on she became my favorite. She can also dress her ass off.

AMvx4cC.png

I recently just bought a Roxy shirt. Mine's was a chiffon, but apparently they took it down so this is the closest I can post.

Pizzazz is the leader and instigator but she fell off the moment I found out she acts like that because she's spoiled. Stormer is the only one of the group who has a bit of heart in her, but she's a follower and doesn't stand up for herself most of the time. The others keep her around because they can manipulate her. At the ending of "The Bands Break Up" Stormer demands to be treated with more respect and Pizazz says "Sure, Sure" in an unconvincing tone.

Jetta is the cocky and sly one. I was disappointed when I found out she was going to be black at first, but it was changed because they thought it would be racist, to have a black villain at the time, which is WTF to me especially when in the KJEM episode they had a black villain, so WHAT? Jetta like Raya didn't add much to her band and her character focused episode "Britrock" was underwhelming, but if I recall Jetta did stand out a little more than Raya because she had more lines.

Cleaned up a bit of the op and added a little more.

Does anyone know of any videos or podcasts with people talking about the show?

All I know of is this channel, but I want some people like DoubleToasted who can have me rolling.

Speely

Banned
I cosplayed Pizzazz during a themed scavenger hunt that covered all of downtown once. I had bloody pinky toes within ten minutes due to the heels I was wearing. Powered through for two more hours.

I loved this show.

Dai101

Banned
I cosplayed Pizzazz during a themed scavenger hunt that covered all of downtown once. I had bloody pinky toes within ten minutes due to the heels I was wearing. Powered through for two more hours.

I loved this show.

You can't just came here without pics.

I need pictures! (and not of Spider-Man)

CKfXGRl.gif

"The Bands Break Up" is a cute little episode. The two most meager and naive members of each band wind up together and the duo performance threw me for a loop. Who expected that voice to come out of 19 year-old Kimber? Bitch sound like she's thirty-five. I've seen a lot of people on the internet say that they get lesbian vibes from Kimber and Stormer's relationship in this, but I don't and I'm a lesbian. I knew despite Kimber and Stormer having experience in the music industry that they were going to get fucked by that contract because both of them are naive as fuck. That wouldn't have worked on Jem or Pizazz.

I shipped Kimber and Stormer together as a kid. Before I really knew what shipping or Lesbains were. They are actually a couple in the New Jem Comic .

*scrolls, surprised to see one of my posts*
Oh, a necrobump.

Anyway, still haven't gotten an answer about what was bad about the comics, given that I've heard good things about it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Wow. I've never watched Western animation, but I clicked this because the word "holograms" makes me click things and damn, I almost thought I was looking at screenshots for Zeta Gundam for a moment there. It's gotta be the hair.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Wow. I've never watched Western animation, but I clicked this because the word "holograms" makes me click things and damn, I almost thought I was looking at screenshots for Zeta Gundam for a moment there. It's gotta be the hair.

Most of the episodes were animated by Toei, and while they didn't do Gundam, they did do a lot of influential stuff like Mazinger, GoLion, Captain Harlock, etc. It's not a coincidence the Jem look is reminiscent of classic '80s anime.

Cheerilee

The Misfits find an ad in the paper from a millionaire offering a reward for anyone who can give him Jem's identity. They go to his house and propose a plan that will get him his answer. This plan involves building a replica of Starlight Mansion, hiring actors, and making a home video about Jem's life. The Misfits have caused a lot of fuckery throughout this show, but their infliction of psychological damage in this episode takes the cake for me. Oh how I wish I could watch this episode for the first time again. The actors the Misfits hire have photorealistic masks and can perfectly imitate her friends voices so this is totally convincing.
Jem starts to question who she is and her own insanity in this story. The two funniest parts in this episode is when Kimber's actor almost gives herself away when she fails to play a note and then does a very fake faint and when Jem walks into a wall and knocks herself out.
The episode being funny aside, it also shows how stupid the Misfits are. They won and didn't realize it. At the beginning when Jem takes Kimber to the side and says "if anyone should know who I am it's my sister" that should have rung some bells in their head. The actor stupidly says "Alright, tell me who your sister is and I'll ask her,". You know that Kimber is Jerrica's sister so that means Jem is Jerrica! But they continue to be dumb when the Jerrica doppleganger comes in and Jem asks "Now who are you supposed to be?". This Misfits are S-T-U-P-I-D.

One aspect of the show that I always thought was interesting was that Jem was essentially a secret third Benton sister.

Their dad was rich and somewhat famous. The public knows about Jerrica and Kimber. Suddenly these two start up a band and they recruit mystery-figure Jem as their lead singer. Is Jem one of them in disguise? Nope, because all three have been seen (probably photographed even) in different places at the same time (not often, but they're busy people, and at least one of them is secretive). But Jem has some family resemblance and seems to be a secret third Benton. She slips in and out of countries without even using a passport (that people know of).

It wouldn't be that weird for Jem to let it slip that she's Kimber's sister, and that wouldn't necessarily prove that she's Jerrica in disguise. Even if people noticed that Jem omitted Jerrica when she said she was Kimber's sister, that would only fuel the rumor mills. How could Jem be sister to one sister but not to the other sister? Could the two known Benton sisters secretly be half-sisters, with Jem being a half-sister to only one of them, unrelated to the other?

We, the audience, know it's just a case of secret identity/disguise, but to the in-show public, that explanation has already been disproven, and any other explanations would be more complicated and mysterious and gossipy.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Most of the episodes were animated by Toei, and while they didn't do Gundam, they did do a lot of influential stuff like Mazinger, GoLion, Captain Harlock, etc. It's not a coincidence the Jem look is reminiscent of classic '80s anime.

Oh! That explains it entirely. Thank you!

I loved this show.

Oh wow I would've like to seen that too. I don't see how you could do heels. No look is worth all that pain.

Still love this show. I haven't watched it since I made this thread. I probably won't watch it again until next year or whenever Netflix says it's leaving.

One aspect of the show that I always thought was interesting was that Jem was essentially a secret third Benton sister.

Their dad was rich and somewhat famous. The public knows about Jerrica and Kimber. Suddenly these two start up a band and they recruit mystery-figure Jem as their lead singer. Is Jem one of them in disguise? Nope, because all three have been seen (probably photographed even) in different places at the same time (not often, but they're busy people, and at least one of them is secretive). But Jem has some family resemblance and seems to be a secret third Benton. She slips in and out of countries without even using a passport (that people know of).

It wouldn't be that weird for Jem to let it slip that she's Kimber's sister, and that wouldn't necessarily prove that she's Jerrica in disguise. Even if people noticed that Jem omitted Jerrica when she said she was Kimber's sister, that would only fuel the rumor mills. How could Jem be sister to one sister but not to the other sister? Could the two known Benton sisters secretly be half-sisters, with Jem being a half-sister to only one of them, unrelated to the other?

We, the audience, know it's just a case of secret identity/disguise, but to the in-show public, that explanation has already been disproved, and any other explanations would be more complicated and mysterious and gossipy.

That's a lot of gaps you put in because none of that was in the show. Eric and reporters have said that they have nothing on her and the resemblance thing, that could just be chalked up to the artist's style, but even if it was assumed Kimber and Jerrica have the same parents with that being public knowledge so even if theoretically Jem had one different parent that would still make them sisters.

Cheerilee

That's a lot of gaps you put in because none of that was in the show.
Oh, I know.
Eric and reporters have said that they have nothing on her and the resemblance thing, that could just be chalked up to the artist's style, but even if it was assumed Kimber and Jerrica have the same parents with that being public knowledge so even if theoretically Jem had one different parent that would still make them sisters.
I was thinking... Jerrica and Kimber are known sisters. Daughters of the wealthy Emmett and Jacqui Benton.

But Jem seems like a secret third Benton daughter. How can that be? Well, with rich people... it's not unheard of to have secret extramarital affairs. Possibly even endorsed by all parties, but kept secret to avoid scandal. Like a mistress, or whatever the male version of a mistress is.

So... if Jem is a secret Benton... and Kimber is her sister, and Jerrica is not Jem's sister... How can that be? That's easy. Jerrica is the true daughter of Emmett and Jacqui Benton. Kimber is the daughter of only one of those two, and her other parent is a secret parent. Kimber was embraced by the Bentons, and her birth records were forged to make her a scandal-free legitimate Benton. Jerrica and Kimber are actually half-sisters. Jem is the secret daughter of Kimber's secret parent, and a second secret parent. Records were never forged for her (except maybe erased), and the Benton family has hidden Jem for her entire life, as they hid the secret parents. Kimber and Jem are half-sisters, while Jerrica and Jem are not sisters at all. But they're all close, which allowed Jerrica to "discover" Jem's singing talent and invite her into the band they were forming.

I propose that this is the sort of convoluted conspiracy theory that the public would eat up before they would be willing to believe that Jerrica can be in two places at the same time.

It's just something I thought of years ago, and I think it's interesting. Although you're right in that it's not something the show ever really explored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom