• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did Namco go back to their old logo?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Branding is always something that fascinates me...I noticed NAMCO has its old, non-shitacular logo on the Enslaved box. When did they start using this again? Why? And for what brand of games?

interesting, i didn't even notice this.

clash of the titans box art appears to use the older logo as well.

edit: box art mock-up on namco's site shows the older logo on the box. google search shows box art with the old bandai logo. weird.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Y2Kev said:
Branding is always something that fascinates me...I noticed NAMCO has its old, non-shitacular logo on the Enslaved box. When did they start using this again? Why? And for what brand of games?
About the same time they brought back Bandai:

majinps3us.jpg

I think they're trying to separate the brands again.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just noticed this. Way better than that Bandi-Namco one. The power of branding really is something fun to pay attention to.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
They didn't drop it, IIRC. They alternate depending on the franchise.

Pyrokai

So is this a step towards having two different publishing firms? Similar to Activision Blizzard? I don't really understand how it works. I know Namco and Bandai merged to form Bandai Namco, but that's it. I figured it was just a new company with a new name and could only publish games under Bandai Namco.

I'm so confused. I'm even more confused with how Activision Blizzard has two publishing labels yet it is one company now, and even more so with Take-Two, which has about a bazillion publishing labels, but's all under one company. How does this work? Explain plzthx :(

looking into this a bit further, it seems like the actual retail boxes for clash of the titans have the old Bandai logo, but mock-ups (like on web retailers) show the Bandai Namco mark.

wonder what the motivator was to start branding them separately again.

Phenomic

OMG! I don't know how I did not notice this as I stared at the dang Enslaved Box Art... mind blown. Seems kinda strange that two merged companies would want to separate themselves again. Perhaps things aren't going so hot between the two? Though they could think it might just bring them more success. Has the company been doing worse off since they merged compared to premerger?

Yottamole

Banned
uh, I always thought that Namco and Bandai only merged on a corporate level, and still always kept their brands separate (with an added Namco Bandai corporate logo). Sega Sammy is doing the same thing.

This is different from how Enix and Square merged, which made the old Enix and Square logos completely obsolete, and anything they release have to be under the Square Enix logo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Rabbitwork said:
looking into this a bit further, it seems like the actual retail boxes for clash of the titans have the old Bandai logo, but mock-ups (like on web retailers) show the Bandai Namco mark.

wonder what the motivator was to start branding them separately again.
namco had a lot of good will from the ps1 and 2 days. i am surprised they kind of shat on their logo.

Aeana

Yottamol said:
uh, I always thought that Namco and Bandai only merged on a corporate level, and still always kept their brands separate (with an added Namco Bandai corporate logo). Sega Sammy is doing the same thing.

This is different from how Enix and Square merged, which made the old Enix and Square logos completely obsolete, and anything they release have to be under the Square Enix logo.
They had this logo on game boxes for a while:

yFlqQ.jpg

Although it seems that the Japanese version of ToV just has the Namco logo. So does Tales of Graces.

Takao

Banned
In Japan they've always kept the different labels, no?

They re-instated them this year for the fall season in the west it appears. DragonBall Origins 2 was published in the summer under the "Bandai Namco" label, and the new DragonBall games for the fall will be under the "Bandai" label.

LiK

Tenbatsu said:
Whenever I see the Namcot logo, it reminded me of this game:
Yuyu+Hakusho+Tokubetuhen_00003.png

Such a great game!

damn, i played that when i was a kid...and beat it when i had no idea what i was doing....

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm guessing the merger still exists but the logos of the games published/developed by the corresponding companies (Namco, Bandai, or Banpresto) are used (Tales -> Namco, Gundam -> Bandai, Ar tonelico -> Banpresto).

Kinda like Activision Blizzard, WoW doesn't have the Activision Blizzard logo.

KevinCow

Banned
You know, I didn't even notice this consciously, but I thought there was something curious about seeing the Namco logo. I just thought it had been a while since I played a Namco game, I guess.

Aeana said:
They had this logo on game boxes for a while:

yFlqQ.jpg

Although it seems that the Japanese version of ToV just has the Namco logo. So does Tales of Graces.
The PAL version of ToV has the classic Namco logo.

l4pY4.jpg

LiK said:
Goddamn that giant ratings logo :(
Well that giant ratings logo is not on my copy. I only have the PEGI rating in the lower left corner, just like the US version has the T-rating in the lower left corner. Only the German edition has that large one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ULTROS! said:
I'm guessing the merger still exists but the logos of the games published/developed by the corresponding companies (Namco, Bandai, or Banpresto) are used (Tales -> Namco, Gundam -> Bandai, Ar tonelico -> Banpresto).

Kinda like Activision Blizzard, WoW doesn't have the Activision Blizzard logo.
Judging by their recent box arts, with the exception of Tales.

Namco: Western Games
Bandai: Japanese Games

See Splatterhouse as another example (developed in the West):

51srSl%2BGVLL.jpg

Nirolak said:
Judging by their recent box arts, with the exception of Tales.

Namco: Western Games
Bandai: Japanese Games

See Splatterhouse as another example (developed in the West):

51srSl%2BGVLL.jpg

Surprisingly cool cover

Separating the brands again is probably a good idea. Namco means nothing to the audience buying Bandai games, so adding Namco to the logo means nothing. Bandai's name being attached to traditionally Namco products is probably more of a negative, so leaving it as just Namco is a win there, too.

TreIII

Segata Sanshiro said:
Separating the brands again is probably a good idea. Namco means nothing to the audience buying Bandai games, so adding Namco to the logo means nothing. Bandai's name being attached to traditionally Namco products is probably more of a negative, so leaving it as just Namco is a win there, too.

I dunno, maybe they took a cue from Koei and Tecmo. Yes, they're all under one corporate roof now, and we even see some "intersection" here and there. But you don't see Koei's name attached to Tecmo's products, and vice-versa. Probably because they knew that such a thing wouldn't change things any way...

TreIII said:
I dunno, maybe they took a cue from Koei and Tecmo. Yes, they're all under one corporate roof now, and we even see some "intersection" here and there. But you don't see Koei's name attached to Tecmo's products, and vice-versa. Probably because they knew that such a thing wouldn't change things any way...
I think a combined brand name can work, but only if the brands are compatible. Like Square and Enix. Otherwise, it's best just to keep them as separate identities.

Agent X

I first noticed the return of the old Namco logo when Dead to Rights: Retribution was released a few months ago.

Top Bottom