• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did spoilers become such a big deal (no spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Spoiler Alert: Stories Are Not Spoiled by 'Spoilers'

Many of us go to extraordinary lengths to avoid learning the endings of stories we have yet to read or see – plugging our ears, for example, and loudly repeating “la-la-la-la,” when discussion threatens to reveal the outcome. Of book and movie critics, we demand they not give away any plot twists or, at least, oblige with a clearly labeled “spoiler alert.” We get angry with friends who slip up and spill a fictional secret.

But we’re wrong and wasting our time, suggests a new experimental study from the University of California, San Diego. People who flip to the last page of a book before starting it have the better intuition. Spoilers don’t spoil stories. Contrary to popular wisdom, they actually seem to enhance enjoyment.

spoilers2.png

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I hate to say it, but I totally agree with this. I've had people get mad at me for posting about things that happened on a television episode that has already aired in the thread for the series. It's easily one of my least favorite things about the forum.

I call BS on that. Someone complaining about spoiler from season 1 of mad men in the season 5 thread would be laughed out of the thread.

My guess is you're talking about a certain different show that had a secret in the season 1 finale fixing to be unveiled in an upcoming episode of season 2.

It's understandable to me, because some people haven't actually been able to watch the episode yet. I am usually pretty careful when it comes to that sort of stuff.

My opinion on the matter is simple. If the episode has aired and you haven't seen it, stay out of the official thread if you care about spoilers. I see no point to tag things that aren't actually spoilers, all that does is make a thread read like garbage. Plus it leaves people unsure of what tagged things are actually spoilers.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
My opinion on the matter is simple. If the episode has aired and you haven't seen it, stay out of the official thread if you care about spoilers. I see no point to tag things that aren't actually spoilers, all that does is make a thread read like garbage. Plus it leaves people unsure of what tagged things are actually spoilers.

What the hell are you talking about. No one is going to tell you to not talk about previous episodes in the OT.

Edit: Maybe you're mis-remembering thinking about a story driven video game where it's impossible for people to be at the same place. I hardly go into any video game threads because I've been mostly playing MMO's, but that would make sense. Weekly TV shows and movies for the most part have everyone exiting the flood gates at the same time. Someone who isn't on season 5 of Mad Men shouldn't enter Season 5 OT. That's all on them.

When I get spoilt I get angry initially but when I actually get to the part in the book/tv show/movie I realize having already known what is going to happen didn't make a huge difference in my experience.

I still get angry at spoilers though.

It doesn't matter how old it is, you should always spoiler movie, tv shows, or video game spoilers. I got who the killer in Twin Peaks spoiled for me and hated that but I still enjoyed the show...but it would've been cooler if I didn't get it spoiled.

No matter how old it is, there will always be someone who hasn't seen/played it yet and were planning to later on. We all don't have alot of free time to watch/play everything we wanna watch/play.

You should always spoiler spoilers.

On another note, I have actually taken it a step further and actually haven't spoiled any at all of some games. What I mean, for example is when I got Final Fantasy X last year, I didn't even know it was a
turn based rpg. I figured it would be active since 4-9 were.
It was quite a pleasent surprise. I am now doing this with other games, such as Pokemon B&W2 where besides the regoin and main characters, I don't know jack about the game. They could've turned it into a action rpg for all I know lol. I quite like my new way of staying away from spoilers. I would only do it for game series that I am familiar with tho.

Just spoiler any at all things that could be a spoiler and be done. Don't ruin the killer or plot twist or gameplay feature or death of someone in a game/movie because there will always be someone who hasn't seen/played it and was going to in the future.

I know its well know, but even obvious spoilers like in Final Fantasy VII where
that person dies
really pissed me off. Its not funny.

Kusagari

I would never say spoilers 'ruin' something for me, but there are multiple scenes in games/books/movies/etc that just aren't the same if you already know what's going to happen.

That rush when you experience a plot twist you never saw coming, and wasn't spoiled obviously, can't be beaten.

When I get spoilt I get angry initially but when I actually get to the part in the book/tv show/movie I realize having already known what is going to happen didn't make a huge difference in my experience.

But how would you know?

There's been some character deaths that have had me nearly jump out of my chair in shock. Other deaths that had been spoiled for me in advance did not produce the same effect. I prefer the former experience. But hey, maybe I'm just "completely ridiculous."

On another note, I have actually taken it a step further and actually haven't spoiled any at all of some games. What I mean, for example is when I got Final Fantasy X last year, I didn't even know it was a turn based rpg. I figured it would be active since 4-9 were. It was quite a pleasent surprise. I am now doing this with other games, such as Pokemon B&W2 where besides the regoin and main characters, I don't know jack about the game. They could've turned it into a action rpg for all I know lol. I quite like my new way of staying away from spoilers. I would only do it for game series that I am familiar with tho.

The irony of this paragraph is that you just "spoiled" FFX for whoever didn't know it was a turn-based RPG :p

But how would you know?

There's been some character deaths that have had me nearly jump out of my chair in shock. Other deaths that had been spoiled for me in advance did not produce the same effect. I prefer the former experience. But hey, maybe I'm just "completely ridiculous."

I don't know. I still enjoyed my spoilt media and never considered the spoiler that big of a deal after the fact. I guess you can't really tell.

Flynn

I am of the full mind that the obsession with spoilers had devolved from merely sidestepping the rare earth shattering plot twist to a kind of fetish.

The reason why reasonable people are annoyed by spoiler fetishists is that we're the ones expected to change our behavior. I'm supposed to mark or spoiler that happened in an episode of Gilligan's Island just in case some weirdo is waiting for his 85th birthday to watch the entire series in one go.

Because I also like discussing culture with others.

Agreed. I've never intentionally spoiled anyone, and do my best to obey the spoiler rules on every forum I post at, but at some point it seems like some people want every post discussing any media (regardless of when it came out) to look like this: The
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
and
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
a
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
, but
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That's just an awful way to try and have a conversation.

edit: And I agree with the post you just made above me while I was typing this up as well.

I am of the full mind that the obsession with spoilers had devolved from merely sidestepping the rare earth shattering plot twist to a kind of fetish.

The reason why reasonable people are annoyed by spoiler fetishists is that we're the ones expected to change our behavior. I'm supposed to mark or spoiler that happened in an episode of Gilligan's Island just in case some weirdo is waiting for his 85th birthday to watch the entire series in one go.
So you have to type
twice. Boo hoo.
Agreed. I've never intentionally spoiled anyone, and do my best to obey the spoiler rules on every forum I post at, but at some point it seems like some people want every post discussing any media (regardless of when it came out) to look like this: The
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
and
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
a
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
, but
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That's just an awful way to try and have a conversation.

edit: And I agree with the post you just made above me while I was typing this up as well.
Highlight paragraph. Read paragraph. Fucking done.

oneils

The only thing that annoys me is getting ripped up for "spoiling" something that is over 3 years old. I mean FFS, if you didn't want to get spoiled why did you leave it so long. I fully expect to be spoiled if I wait 3 years to watch/play something.

Yeah, there should definitely be a time limit on this stuff. Should we, like, put spoiler tags up when discussing Romeo and Juliet?

Nose Master

The experience of the twist is robbed from you. There's a pretty big difference between the tension and buildup to a surprising plot twist, and just reading "_____ dies." It's like someone forcing you to read the wikipedia summary of a book, instead of letting you read it yourself.

An important piece of a story is an important piece of the story.

It ain't fucking difficult.

Why open a book and flip ten chapters ahead?

Why fast forward to 3/4 of the way through a movie?

Plot is plot is plot is plot. It's important to narrative. The element of surprise. The person who wrote the novel or directed the film wanted the experience to play out to the reader or viewer in that specific way. If you're not interested in plot, find something else to occupy yourself with.

Somebody jumping in and saying, "yeah this shit happens..." is counter-productive to the narrative, and likewise an insult to the creator and the audience.

So the black bars on GAF threads? Keep 'em.

And fuck you.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The only thing that annoys me is getting ripped up for "spoiling" something that is over 3 years old. I mean FFS, if you didn't want to get spoiled why did you leave it so long. I fully expect to be spoiled if I wait 3 years to watch/play something.
Backlogs.

You remember that O.T. thread the other day? A guy asking for TV shows like BSG? People probably listed like 5-10 over 3 years old, some of which he probably never heard of.

I think he picked Lost as a contender. Season 1 is 8 years old. The series is a 121 episode ~90 hour investment. There's spoilers left and right.

How assholic would it be if people started posting random spoilers? Very.

You can't do anything about gifs and pictures in random threads but there's no reason to say the major plot spoilers in a random thread. And if you're in a conversation with someone and want to reference Lost it takes a few seconds to ask "have you seen it?" or "do you care if I spoil it?"

Oh, and they might be in the middle of watching it this very week.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I struggle to comprehend how time and time again there are people that seemingly CANNOT comprehend how spoilers can ruin a film/book/tv show/whatever for you. Is it really that hard a concept to grasp? I feel like I'm talking to another species sometimes. Like some sort of aliens that are trying to learn how the human psyche works.

Those are probably the same people who want movie trailers to spell out the entrire plot for them.

If I really get into a show I tend to look ahead and see if it's worth the time investment...

So you enjoy something to the point where you're too impatient to see how it plays out? For better or for worse? You don't enjoy the element of surprise or discovery?

That's the biggest crock of shit I've heard in a while.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Always been a big deal. Think about watching the Sixth Sense after been told the ending. The movie is only really good the first time.

saunderez

Backlogs.

Yes that's fine but I'm more talking about someone who comes into a current season TV show thread and then complains there are spoilers from previous seasons. Of course there is, we're discussing the show after an airing. I stay out of a thread until I've watched the latest episode, people who haven't seen the show at all should stick to the first page or stay out altogether. Spoiling for the sake of it in an unrelated thread is a dick move I have no argument there. But if you haven't seen Movie A or TV Show B or played Game C then don't complain when there are spoilers 20 pages into the thread.

Why have we become so lazy that we're letting the internet tell us the synopsis of stories?

God fuckin forbid we actually have to sit down for 90 minutes or a few days to finish a film or book or television season by ourselves.

"Nope I just want everything told to me in a few sentences. "

Spoilers completely ruin story-driven media for me because I start subconsciously focusing on trying to predict when the twist will happen, instead of enjoying the plot and character development in the moment. Irrational, I know, but I can't help it.

I agree that it gets kind of out of hand here on some things, like the aforementioned "podcast spoilers" or spoilers on a character in a fighting game.

When someone posted
Diablo (lol)
was the final boss in the Diablo 3 OT people posted walls of angry text showing how bad the person messed up. Probably the only place on the internet where that reaction is expected.

On a similar note, people in the NSMB2 thread are spoiler tagging the end boss... of a Mario game.

DarkFlow

Banned
So you enjoy something to the point where you're too impatient to see how it plays out? For better or for worse? You don't enjoy the element of surprise or discovery?

That's the biggest crock of shit I've heard in a while.
So my own opinion is a crock of shit? I never said I spoil for others, just myself. So please stfu.

I think GAF kind of tanks it overboard but at the same time I can see a point for people not wanting to is anything. But yeah its extreme at times.

It's a pretty polarizing thing really. Some people will fucking lose their shit if they are spoiled on any little thing they might have a passing interest in, be it movie, book, or TV show.

Then you have the other people who don't give a piss. Either they wanna know who dies, falls in love, what have you because they can't take the not knowing, or they're more of the "it's not the destination but the journey" type of person.

For my part, I'm somewhere in the middle. Depending on my level of interest I may or may not care about being spoiled. For instance, in the Avengers, I didn't give a fuck. I was in it for the action and seeing some of my favorite comic characters wreck shit. Prometheus on the other hand, I didn't wanna be spoiled on. Turns out it wasn't anything to worry about, story-wise, anyways.

TL,DR: It'll vary person to person whether they give a shit or not.

I really really really hate the "But it's old" excuse for spoiling stuff. There's so much media to consume in this world that it's very easy to skip things you would have been interested in, but just didn't get around to. Not being there day 1 doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to have a clean experience with it. Go look at the original publishing dates of the Song of Ice and Fire books. The "It's old" excuse dictates that you have every right to go to the TV show thread and tell everyone what happens in the next few seasons. Stupid.

The only spoilers that are okay are the ones that are a part of popular culture already and even people with no interest in the original source still know about. It was his sled, Bruce Willis was dead the whole time, etc.

But I do agree that people take bitching about spoilers way too far. Bitch about knowing who the boss is on chapter 6, not about the fact that there's a boss there at all.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yes that's fine but I'm more talking about someone who comes into a current season TV show thread and then complains there are spoilers from previous seasons. Of course there is, we're discussing the show after an airing. I stay out of a thread until I've watched the latest episode, people who haven't seen the show at all should stick to the first page or stay out altogether. Spoiling for the sake of it in an unrelated thread is a dick move I have no argument there. But if you haven't seen Movie A or TV Show B or played Game C then don't complain when there are spoilers 20 pages into the thread.
When has that happened? And like I said they should be laughed out of the thread.

That's the equivalent of me entering the dark knight returns spoiler thread intentionally instead of the non spoiler OT before seeing the movie.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Imagine a game going into double OT. You are watching it on your DVR after the fact and your little shithead brother comes in and says "watch this game winning shot." You would rightly be pissed. It's the same for everything.

saunderez

When has that happened? And like I said they should be laughed out of the thread.
More times than I care to imagine and they usually are. I guess some people are curious to see opinions, but you just can't take that risk when everyone is going to be talking about the current episode/movie in detail without spoiler tags. My rule is if its in public and I haven't seen it I don't click on the thread. And to this day the only major spoiler I've had was the first big reveal in Bioshock (spoiled by 4Chan which I no longer visit).

zbeeb

The surge in social media has made it easier for people to reveal and discover spoilers. People share more often and with more people in different time zones.

It's not that spoilers are a bigger deal than before, its just easier for them to get around now.

Imagine a game going into double OT. You are watching it on your DVR after the fact and your little shithead brother comes in and says "watch this game winning shot." You would rightly be pissed. It's the same for everything.

Indeed.

But apparently not for some people.

It's such an apathetic attitude that it makes me wonder why they even read novels or watch films or experience any sort of artistic media in the first place.

If one does not care about the end result, why bother with it in the first place? Go fly a kite or something.

Indeed.

But apparently not for some people.

It's such an apathetic attitude that it makes me wonder why they even read novels or watch films or experience any sort of artistic media in the first place.

If one does not care about the end result, why bother with it in the first place? Go fly a kite or something.
This is unfair. People like things for different reasons. What's important is that both sides respect each other.

Jesus dies....and then comes back and sends team of highly trained Angels ninjas to fight dinosaurs and demons in the great battle of Noah's Ark.......and they win

come at me GAF

This is unfair. People like things for different reasons. What's important is that both sides respect each other.

And I think for the most part, we do. Black bars everywhere on GAF, and I appreciate that.

It's the ones who consciously choose to spoil something, either for themselves or others, that I can't wrap my head around. That's my argument in all of this, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom