• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When does a hobby become an obsession? Where do you draw the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel you OP...

My husband and I are tea enthusiasts. The subject of tea came up at work yesterday and we were telling a coworker about our hobby. He was pretty clueless about it but was interested. At one point we started talking about oolong and I mentioned how I'd bought 100 grams of oolong for 32 Swiss francs ($34 US) as a treat.

This dude literally flipped out, like shitting bricks. I was like wtf? He seriously couldn't understand why someone would pay so much for tea. Even after we told him that it was rare and besides there are teas that cost way, WAY more, he just couldn't fathom it. We explained that to enthusiasts these kind of things have real worth, like collectors, etc. Dude must either be cheap as fuck or have no hobbies cause he was just sitting there laughing incredulously. SMH

I think it's kind of weird that someone would react like that, when you think of how much a wine enthusiast can spend on a bottle of wine...

One day I want to get a pure silver or sterling silver teapot, because they're supposed to be really good for making lighter teas like white tea, but looking at the prices for used ones on ebay they're so expensive, I remember $2k seeming like a good price. Even if I was willing to afford it it seems too lavish to not feel embarrassed somehow.

IISANDERII

Picture004.jpg
Understand that this is one model of tennis racquet, many of them identical and the others just updated variations.

cajunator

Banned
When I look around my room at what must be thousands of dollars worth of anime stuff and for a second I think "have I gone too far?" Followed by ordering something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom