• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What other hobbies do you have outside of gaming?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Gaming is like the default mode for me since it's the easiest thing to get into and I've been doing it since I was a little kid. I got 4 consoles, 2 VR headsets, and a gaming PC, with close to 2000 games in total between all of those platforms. I have a ton of gaming peripherals, accessories, and other doodads to make the hobby more fun and varied.

But sometimes, even I like to get away from all of it and just do something else. Like sketch drawing, for example. Or video editing. Or biking.

I've been also thinking quite seriously about getting into model making. I'm just not sure where to start with it. I've been even considering getting into Warhammer 40k tabletop just for the figure painting aspect of it, but I think gluing some jet fighters could also be pretty fun.

So anyway, what are your hobbies outside of gaming?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
  1. Scrolling through the Netflix menu and turning it off without watching anything.
  2. Working out
  3. Music / Concerts
I don't feel like I have enough time to really invest in another hobby. I used to play drums for a few years, but don't have a sound proofed basement at the moment so that's been out the window for a while.

bajouras

Since my job is drawing and 3D modelling, I inevitably also do it outside my work. I even bought a 3D resin printer to print a few of my works and D&D minis and that has been loads of fun.

Other than that I’ve been really into climbing and bouldering for half a year now. Cool way to work out and have fun while doing it. It’s also a sport where you can really see yourself improve overtime which I find motivating.

Football (soccer for you yanks), books, movies, travelling, music (playing instruments, live concerts, making music).

not sure if it's a considered a hobby but i love technology. i like buying cool new stuff whether that be a new part for my PC, a dull boring home appliance, or some nerdy niche gadget. I also like learning software and coding. i wouldn't say i'm an expert but i like building shitty websites, trying to make a game, or fucking about with Linux or doing stuff on my PC that the average person wouldn't do. I don't know shit but i love learning and experimenting with things on my PC.

Last edited:

Drake

1. Working out
2. Hiking
3. Reading
4. Once in a while I'll pick up my guitar and try to re-learn it, get frustrated and put it back down for 6 months.

Kev Kev

Guitar
Weightlifting
Painting
Reading

Video games are probably my number one, but I've been able to make money off playing and teaching music, so I should probably put more time into that. I haven't worked out, painted or read books much in recent years, but I love doing that stuff and I want to get back into doing them regularly.

Additionally, maybe movies and TV as well? That's almost a default for all of us though. Cooking, although I wouldn't consider it a true hobby, it's something I will spend extra time on and find very therapeutic and enjoyable. I've been doing a bit of gardening lately, but not enough to call it a hobby. I used to run a lot, used to go kayaking fairly often, I like to skate but I haven't had a pair of skates in years, and some other stuff here and there.

I got a bunch of stuff I like to do, I just always go to gaming these days (it's hot in FL, the A/C is really nice lol).

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I have no hobbies. I'm nothing.

final-fantasy-giggle.gif

jufonuk

not tag worthy
watching Movies. TV. Walking. Exercising (need to be more consistent)
listening to music.

Watching the odd live sporting event. Rugby mostly.
Watching AEW,NJPW. Anything really old WWE matches as well.mon to or internet
Reading or listening to audiobooks.
Walking on The beach. When the weather is good and when I am near a beach.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I like to solve twisty puzzles. Can finish the Rubik's Cube in 14 seconds on average. I'm pretty fast with all the official WCA puzzles from 2x2 up to 7x7, Skewb, Square-1, etc. So the focus obviously lies on speedcubing but i also like more complicated puzzles.

I dropped so many hobbies over the years such as playing guitar and piano, producing music for nearly a decade and different sports due to time constraints. Working and other real life obligations take their toll.

Lone Wolf

I read a lot and also collect blu rays. I have a few guns and go shooting at the range quite often. Hit the gym 3 times a week. I’m no beast but I stay in shape as I’m getting older (40’s) and don’t want to get fat. Besides that it’s the normal working on the house and doing things with the wife and kid and dog.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Football (soccer for you yanks), books, movies, travelling, music (playing instruments, live concerts, making music).

not sure if it's a considered a hobby but i love technology. i like buying cool new stuff whether that be a new part for my PC, a dull boring home appliance, or some nerdy niche gadget. I also like learning software and coding. i wouldn't say i'm an expert but i like building shitty websites, trying to make a game, or fucking about with Linux or doing stuff on my PC that the average person wouldn't do. I don't know shit but i love learning and experimenting with things on my PC.
Yeah I'm a tinkerer as well. That includes fixing stuff around the home that most people would 'call a guy' for. Just bought 5 old, busted laptops that me and my 11 year old son are trying to fix just for the fun of it.

H4ze

Reading, shitposting and I do drive amateur rallye.
No home setup will ever kick you like driving a real car on a narrow road as fast as possible.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Quite a few:

- Spending time with my wife
- Ministry help in historical studies
- Bike riding
- Scooters (standard, electric or gas powered)
- ATC riding or ATV
- 2D traditional animation study, demonstrations (of the process) and collecting of both Eastern & Western classic animated titles
- Video games
- Playing musical instruments: Piano, organ, mandolin, guitar, lute, autoharp, bass, concert flute, Eastern flute (Shakuhachi & Hulusi), Irish flutes, drums and percussion et al
- Teaching grad students business marketing
- Reading
- Listening to music

Dural

I've been into RC forever, 15 years ago I took a nitro powered Losi LST and turned it into a brushless electric truck. Also built a Savage Flux from a brand new roller I got a good deal on. I've tried the drones, built a 200mm racing drone, but haven't put the time in to get any good at flying it.

Lego, I have several sets to build but haven't been able to due to perpetually having a toddler that wants nothing more than to destroy them. I've given up on a couple sets that my kids have destroyed while I was building them, have to wait til they get a bit older to finish.

Every so often I get an itch to build something, last year I built my son a floating loft bed for his birthday and made a vertical screen bartop arcade cabinet. I usually make my kids Halloween costumes as well, got into sewing a couple years ago for my sons Stay Puft Marshmallow Man costume.

I also have a whole bunch of classic toys and action figures that I have on display.

Fbh

I really like cooking. Almost went to culinary school but ultimately decided it's something I'd rather do for fun in my free time instead of something I have to do every day under pressure.
During the summer I also like to go fishing and hiking.
During the winter months I also do a lot of reading
And I usually get together with some friends once a week for some board gaming

Mohonky

I've been into RC forever, 15 years ago I took a nitro powered Losi LST and turned it into a brushless electric truck. Also built a Savage Flux from a brand new roller I got a good deal on. I've tried the drones, built a 200mm racing drone, but haven't put the time in to get any good at flying it.

I used to race 1/8 electric buggy and truggy. Still have them but haven't raced them in nearly a decade. Also have a brushless Axial Bomber V2 and Losi 5ive T gen 1 with various upgrades like a fully modified 30.5cc rooster tail engine. I don't do RC car stuff any more really, but it's all there still.

I stopped RC cars when I got into drones. I have various racers and freestyle quads and worked with Karearea in design of racing frames. They still make the best racing frames imo, not the lightest but the way they handle is superb. God knows how many quads I've had or built but I keep 3 ready to race, a 5, 4 and 3" freestyle quad and a wall full of planes ranging from the super light EPP 3D foamies to larger planes like the Grand Tundra or Flex Innovations Cap 232.

Need to get back into the RC stuff but I've been busy with mountain biking now. Bought Dec 28 2021, been riding for a bit over and year finally just hit over 1000kms. I'm not much for jumping, but I'm learning at nearly 40yrs old. I like the steep technical stuff but I'm getting better at the other stuff like drops, railing berms etc.

Some drone stuff

Some riding stuff

AGBWXJF.jpg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Reading. I read a book a week. Studying history can be added to that as I read a lot of history books and have a degree in history. Throw philosophy in there as well.

Learning languages. As well as English, I speak Polish, French and my Italian is getting better. I've dabbled in other languages, but nowhere near fluent.

Cooking and baking. I find it relaxing, especially baking.

Gym. I'm at the gym 5-6 times a week.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Currently, nothing really but I’m thinking about warhammer but don’t know where to start for an army
I can help you out here because I've done enough research by now.

This one sounds like a pretty good way to start: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-Command-Edition-EN-2020?_requestid=18752255

Along with a paint set if you want to paint your own figures: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/40k-Paint-and-Tool-Set-EN-ES-2020

This will set you up for both solo and 2-player games, or give you a cool set of Necron and Astartes figures, along with a few terrain pieces to paint. It also includes a rulebook, lore book, stat cards, and everything you need to start playing.

should I finally decide to order a set, this is what I would start with.

Top Bottom