• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When it comes to multiplatform third party games, should I go with PS1 or N64?

I am planning to buy an XRGB-mini so I can play my old consoles on my modern TV. That being said, my N64 collection mostly consists of first-party Nintendo or Rare titles, and my PS1 collection is rather slim.

I'd like to try playing stuff like Glover, the Gex series, Rayman 2, etc.

With that in mind, should I play them on PS1, or N64? Did multiplatform games run or fare better on one console over another?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I think you'll run into very few that are very similar to be honest. In general the N64 had more horsepower though.

TheMoon

As always, depends on the game and what you care about.

The N64 version of Resident Evil 2, for example, had extra notes to find and a new arranged mode and supported analog control (what people went nuts about in REmake HD as some sort of revelation) and ran at a higher resolution but the CG videos were ultra compressed and obviously didn't have CD audio.

Then you have Mega Man Legends/Mega Man 64 which relies on voice acting and you might prefer how it looks on one system over the other so ...*shrug*

For Shadowman the N64 version is miles better, even with the compressed audio.

Forsaken was a completely different game. I liked it better in N64 but that's down to taste.

I think you'll run into very few that are very similar to be honest. In general the N64 had more horsepower though.

So, you're saying that multiplatform releases are drastically different across PS1 and N64? If so, how do they usually differ (graphically, content wise)?

Patryn

As always, depends on the game and what you care about.

The N64 version of Resident Evil 2, for example, had extra notes to find and a new arranged mode and supported analog control (what people went nuts about in REmake HD as some sort of revelation) and ran at a higher resolution but the CG videos were ultra compressed and obviously didn't have CD audio.

Then you have Mega Man Legends/Mega Man 64 which relies on voice acting and you might prefer how it looks on one system over the other so ...*shrug*

Was the N64 Arrange mode different from the one that got released on the PS1 for RE2: Dual Shock edition?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
It depends on the title.

A lot of multiplats on PS1 have better audio, more fmvs, and sometimes a handful of extras. The PS1 controller is also a lot more durable.

N64 has some gems though that shine with shorter load times and some extras of its own.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
So, you're saying that multiplatform releases are drastically different across PS1 and N64? If so, how do they usually differ (graphically, content wise)?

Honestly there really just aren't that many, and often times N64 would get its own different version/release of something. I'm actually having trouble thinking of very many crossplat N64/PSX releases.

GLAMr

As already mentioned, PS1 had vastly superior sound and video quality. N64 had more raw 3D graphical power. The two consoles also had a very different graphical look due to hardware strengths/quirks. PS1 will tend to have detailed, vibrant but grainy graphics. N64 has dull, foggy, cartoony graphics. Each style works better for different games.

Ultimately, it varies wildly from game to game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It depends on the game.

First, though, if you're using a Framemeister stay FAR FAR away from Resident Evil 2 on N64. It changes resolutions between basically every screen and, while there are some basic workarounds, it's not a game that functions well with the Framemeister. You'll end up with a lot of issues there. PS1 version is fine.

Mega Man Legends, for instance, is horrible on Nintendo 64. Super low frame-rate. The PS1 version is locked 30fps in comparison.

Forsaken on PS1 is the same as the PC game and much better than the deathmatch driven N64 game.

Rayman 2, however, is a little on N64 since filtering fits the style of the game better.

It's really kind of a mix.

groansey

N64 had more raw 3D graphical power.

This was not readily apparent in any games though. The N64 wasn't pushing more polygons or complex architecture than the PSX, and the textures were blurry. A matter of taste perhaps.

The strength of the N64 was it's exclusive first-party titles, nobody bought an N64 because it had superior versions of Doom, Resident Evil, Ridge Racer...

It depends on the game.

Forsaken on PS1 is the same as the PC game and much better than the deathmatch driven N64 game.
It's funny. I never really liked the PC version of forsaken. The Arena style of the N64 version was more to my liking. But then again, I mostly played it in 4 player split screen.

D.Lo

It depends on the game. Generally the lead platform or original format is better.

If a game was made for both, the N64 was a much more powerful 3D console. So your examples are better on it (Glover, Rayman 2)

This is simple.

Everything was better on PSX.
No.
Because I lived through that era and owned both consoles and that's my opinion?
It's not really an opinion that Rayman 2 on N64 is vastly superior to the PS1 version.

Because I lived through that era and owned both consoles and that's my opinion?

Then you have a dumb opinion because games like San Francisco Rush, Shadow Man, Forsaken, Rayman 2, etc, were clearly superior on N64.

This was not readily apparent in any games though. The N64 wasn't pushing more polygons or complex architecture than the PSX, and the textures were blurry. A matter of taste perhaps.

There's nothing on PSX that come close to N64's top graphical titles in terms of hardware power. You don't know what you're talking about and I actually doubt you had a N64 to say such stuff.

N64 does not support rgb without modding.

Image quality is absolute shit without modification.

Beyond that it is a game by game scenario. But in most cases. The playstation version is better.

N64 was a really unbalanced hardware. It really only worked when games where super tailored to it. Like mario 64.

GLAMr

The strength of the N64 was it's exclusive first-party titles, nobody bought an N64 because it had superior versions of Doom, Resident Evil, Ridge Racer...
Yeah I should stress that it was mainly just stronger on paper in terms of raw number crunching, but held back by low texture cache and DMA issues (hence the muddy, blurry textures). I would argue that PS1 at its best looks better than N64 (E.g. MGS, Gran Tourismo, Tekken 3). I personally prefer PS1 graphics.

Multiplats were often handled by different companies, resulting in wildly different products at times. The DF Retro episodes fore Duke Nukem 3D, Doom and Quake 2 are excellent examples.

Then you have a dumb opinion because games like San Francisco Rush, Shadow Man, Forsaken, Rayman 2, etc, were clearly superior on N64.

There's nothing on PSX that come close to N64's top graphical titles in terms of hardware power. You don't know what you're talking about and I actually doubt you had a N64 to say such stuff.

I completely disagree. N64 has aged a lot worse than playstation. In my opinion. N64 is the only system i have ever experienced where that graphics got worse with time.

The best looking game on n64 is mario 64. It is a beautiful game with clean mostly flatshaded graphics.

But as quick as they add more textures and geometry, everything becomes blurry, foggy, in low and unstable framerates.

D.Lo

MåndagSöndag;244926921 said:
I completely disagree. N64 has aged a lot worse than playstation. In my opinion. N64 is the only system i have ever experienced where that graphics got worse with time.

The best looking game on n64 is mario 64. It is a beautiful game with clean mostly flatshaded graphics.

But as quick as they add more textures and geometry, everything becomes blurry, foggy, in low and unstable framerates.
Lol that is not what is being discussed. Those particular games that are on both platforms are clearly superior on N64. Go compare SFR or Rayman 2 on both platforms on youtube for 10 minutes now, and see how well the PS1 versions of those have aged.

There are games better on PS1 - IMO RE2 is far better on PS1, it's cleaner and the FMVs look much nicer and it sounds better. Tony Hawk is better too, the soundtrack is so important and they are compressed on N64 (graphics are kind of a wash, blurrier on N64, chunky/wiggly on PS1).

Coboney

Neo Member

As mentioned above, there aren't a ton of cross-platform releases as the N64 got a lot less. They each had a different type of look - although I'd say in many, not all, cases the N64 looked better and the N64 tended to handle more action game play somewhat better (especially prior to the dual shock) and PlayStation 1 handles larger worlds and music better due to the disk medium having more space. One thing that is notable is most N64 ports will have changes due to the lack of space on cartridge and developers and Nintendo wanting to put some different stuff.

Sorry, but this post sounds absurd. PlayStation graphics looks as aged as any other 32/64 era system to date, especially it's low resolution and bad draw distance, which were the system's Achilles heel. Such games like Crash Bandicoot had to use techniques to getaway from the PSX's draw distance limitation.

Anyway, no game in PSX come close to Factor 5's efforts on N64 in terms of draw distance and no way Mario 64 represents the pinnacle of N64's hardware power in any means of imagination.

naboox.jpg

Bad frame rate was an issue on many PSX games as well. You talk like the issues you mentioned only existed on N64 and PSX was isent of it, which isn't true.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Does anyone want to post World Driver Championship gifs? That game destroyed anything on PSX. GT am cry.

Balb

It varies by game so you'll have to do a little research for each game, unfortunately.

Another variable you should consider is Dreamcast ports. Many of the multiplatform games that appeared on the Dreamcast from that generation are far superior.

D.Lo

It varies by game so you'll have to do a little research for each game, unfortunately.

Another variable you should consider is Dreamcast ports. Many of the multiplatform that appeared on the Dreamcast from that generation are far superior.
Yeah Dreamcast ports of PS1/N64 games are sogood.gif. 480p and 60fps in many cases.

This thread reminded me that there was an incredibly shoddy ps port of space station silicon valley renamed Evos space adventure.

I can't remember much else to compare myself but with rayman 2 the N64 was probably better unless you really wanted the voice acting (N64 used gibberish). I think Gex may have had an extra level on the N64 (a water one) but I'm going off memory from a magazine back in the day.

Dreamcast mention is valid, going back to rayman 2 I believe DC was the definitive version.

Basically it goes on a game by game basis.

WillyFive

They will look better on N64 but may have more content on PS1 (like FMVs or licensed tracks). It varies wildly though, as the systems are very different for developers, and that was the first generation where console-to-console ports was established as an industry practice.

You actually should consider Dreamcast in the equation as well as they had the definitive version on multiple titles such as Rayman 2, Tony Hawk, etc.

groansey

PlayStation graphics looks as aged as any other 32/64 era system to date, especially it's low resolution and bad draw distance, which were the system's Achilles heel.

Anyway, no game in PSX come close to Factor 5's efforts on N64 in terms of draw distance and no way Mario 64 represents the pinnacle of N64's hardware power in any means of imagination.

naboox.jpg

Bad frame rate was an issue on many PSX games as well. You talk like the issues you mentioned only existed on N64 and PSX was isent of it, which isn't true.

I could post a ton if examples of PS games which look better than that shot and although the draw distance is maybe shorter overall (a quick Google confirms Spyro, Porsche Challenge & Vigilante 8 had decent draw distances to name three), it was worth the trade-off for higher frame rates and detailed textures. I prefer the look of PS1 games to N64, and I'd wager most people outside of N64 die-hards would agree with that.

balohna

Perhaps varies a bit game to game, but anything that relied much on audio or FMV was probably better on PS1. Anything that's strictly a 3D game without much voice acting or pre-rendered stuff is probably a bit better on N64.

However, late in the gen Dreamcast versions were usually superior. As long as the controls were relatively simple, since it didn't have many buttons. For example, THPS 1 and 2 are best on Dreamcast. Rayman 2 probably is too.

MTC100

Banned

Oh yeah, those sharp PS1 textures, also great polycount on the PS1, thumb up!

1997:

the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3ds-20110328051540141.jpg

d6bf0c8de1bf1b192c0173bdc5611e03--time-games-link-zelda.jpg

ff7-cloud-train_scale_800_700.jpg

Top Bottom