• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will you buy a Nintendo switch?

dmr87

Depends on Zelda, if the Wii U version is fine then I'll wait until Mario. Otherwise I'll get one at launch.

Likely never. The system is just too pricey here in the UK given the specs, and then there's the new online paywall and Nintendo's tendency to rarely sell their software at discount prices to consider on top of that. Combine the money issue with my general apathy towards Nintendo's core franchises and the Switch is not a particularly appealing product in my eyes. I've played Nintendo's games as far back as I was a kid, and the company just never bewitched me the same way Sega and PlayStation did.

So 5. And I choose Neon because I'm partial to neon anything.

m0t0k1

a combination of 3 and 4. Only Mario has interested me enough to get the system since SMT is still in its early stage. Looking for a new Pikmin, maybe a nice fighting game likken Tekken or DOA. F-zero or waverace. Puyo Puyo is great but i already own it for my ps3. Also i find the price to high so i'll be waiting for it to become €250 or €279 with a pack in, So i guess ill be waiting for a long time but i dont mind enough in my backlog to play.

tommyguns

Will probably buy in the summer. That way Zelda, Mario Kart, and Splatoon will be out.

Didn't pre order, so unless I find one at launch some how, maybe I'll juts buy then

crimilde

Banned
I'm still on the fence. Either around Black Friday/Christmas if there are enough interesting games for me to justify picking one up, or when a new revision comes out, depending on what is changed.

As things stand right now, I see no compelling reason to get one when I already have so many other games I'm looking forward to this year. I was planning on using it exclusively as a home console before the reveal so the portability aspect does nothing for me unfortunately.
I don't travel that much and on my commutes I bring my Kindle or a book with me instead.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I feel like I don't want to buy his thing yet, but I also feel like I'll absolutely be buying one as soon as the games start to come. The question is, will the price drop at all within that gap. If not, I might as well buy it at launch even with no games. I just don't see the price changing on this one.

bones123

Already preordered a neon one. I can't not play Zelda the instant it comes out, as much as I love my Wii U, it just doesn't cut the mustard.

Kacho

As someone who wasn't hyped for the Switch and didn't follow the leaks and rumors i pre-ordered the grey Switch for launch day. At the time I pre-ordered it just in case but now that the dust has settled I'm glad I did. Seems like a sweet piece of kit.

Banned
I struggled to pick and choose a color but i went with Grey and day one preorder with zelda.

I'm gonna buy a pair of neon red joycon and use those. I don't want to split my colors. I like being all one color.

1)

Grey

Petrae

(5)

- Hardware/accessories pricing way too high
- Not enough sports games for my liking
- No interest in Zelda
- Super Mario Odyssey shows potential, but not convinced

There's a small chance that I re-evaluate the Switch after a price cut, but as of right now, Nintendo has failed to sell me on the platform-- near-term and long-term.

Already have it paid off 👍🏽 Price is fantastic (one of the cheapest consoles ever made when adjusted for inflation), and year one is looking amazing. Zelda, Mario, Xenoade, Pokémon, NBA, and Dragonball. That's all I need, baby.

I am hoping

5 - probably will never buy one

But N will likely sway me with metroid so it will probably turn into:

4 - Will wait for more games be announced

I hate the fact that N tries to surprise and delight us with new features, making us want to buy the hardware. But instead, they disappoint and frustrate us with poor decisions making me buy the hardware reluctantly only to get the software. I bought the Wii U as a refurb and will wait and do something similar here. At this point, I wish they'd just make PS4/Xbox and mobile games and dump the hardware business.

Teppic

this is something you're gonna have to bend to eventually, at least if you wanna fully enjoy the games. N certainly won't reverse the decision. have you looked around lately? every console now requires payment for online play.
I don't care. I'm not interested. I don't pay for online on any console.

The problem with paid online isn't only that I have to buy it, but that all of my friends also have to buy it at the same time. For the few games Nintendo has that can be played online it's a very hard sell. Not to say that we can still play Splatoon, Mario Kart 8 and Smash bros free on Wii U.

cHinzo

Prolly a combination of 3 and 4. I think the Switch is really cool tech, but I would rather wait and see if Nintendo has some more great stuff up their sleeves. I expected more impressive games than what they've shown so far. Most likely if I ever gonna buy one, it also won't be full priced lol. I supported them enough with my Wii U purchase, so I expect them to release some cool stuff for the Swith in return.

FeD.nL

Kinda 3:

I'll jump in when Nintendo announce a handheld SKU without the dock/joycon holder around $200,-.

Got no interest in the switch as a console, but really love the idea of it as a handheld.

Vana

Neo Member
I'll buy it once there is a good amount of Switch exclusivities on it. Given that I'm not willing to pay for online gaming, games as Splatoon 2 and maybe Arms (depending on how much content there is for solo play) does not (very unfortunately) count for me. So, certainly I won't get it before Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade are out, but even with these two I don't think just two games are enough.

Naturally, if they reconsider their offer regarding online gaming then I could reconsider mine.

SeppOCE

As soon as I find out whether or not it'll have tabletesque features like a decent web browser, quality of life apps and voice chat without using a smart device. I'm caught between this or an NVIDIA shield tablet.

Grey.

WalTech

I'm going to get a grey one because I don't think I can handle multiple colours beside my TV. It would drive me nuts.

I'm going to sit out the launch, though. I was prepared to get one on launch, but it needed to have Zelda AND something else for me to buy right away. I already have a WiiU, with Splatoon and MarioKart 8, so those announcements were cool, but I probably won't double dip on both just yet and since Zelda is available for the WiiU I can just wait a bit.

I'll probably buy it once Mario Odyssey comes out, and hopefully by then it'll be $400 CAD with a game or maybe an extra controller or something included. Right now it has exactly one game I want that I can already get on a system I own, so I wait.

Sanctuary

Combination of 2&3. Most likely not until Mario Odyssey is released. By then, I'll hopefully be able to get one for $30 - $50 less, and there will be more than a whole two games that I want to play released. There were a few that were announced that I am interested in, but they seem a ways off.

Mash83

4 - I was prepared to get one at launch until their press conference talked me out of it. Im hoping they do a Mario bundle this holiday that I can jump on.

noshten

I'm thinking mid/late March myself, going to get Zelda, Protective Case & Pro Controller for now.

Probably buy a charging dock and another JoyCon if old Wii U Pro Controller Wii Wheels controllers don't work for MK8 Deluxe. My girlfriend convinced me we also need MK8 Deluxe and Arms.

No point in waiting for Splatoon 2, especially when I'm planning on playing Zelda anyway.

13ruce

Banned
After that Zelda trailer i preordered the grey one and Zelda. I am ready to experience the game of all time.

Maybe will get Mario Kart in april on launch day or atleast before summer and also get splatoon 2. And some indiegames like shovel knight sonic mania etc when those are out around spring/summer and ofcourse rime.

Buying a extra pair of joycons around summer also.

3 is the closest. Waiting for a hardware revision, which may or may not also have a price drop. I have a few issues with the hardware as is that hopefully are corrected with a new 3DS style relaunch. Might take two or three years, I guess.

Gray is better.

4, but most likely 5.

I have a Wii U for Zelda.
Skyrim's a 6 year old game.
Splatoon 2 & Kart 8 Deluxe look like DLC.
Battery life is horrible.
Launch lineup is barren.
Price is way too high for what it is.
Paid Nintendo online has to be a joke.

Mario Oddessy looks pretty cool. Hope if (when?) Switch fails, it'll come to other platforms where it might survive.

If there are some good deals/bundles and more games out by the holidays I can see myself caving then. I don't think I'll be getting one at launch. Realistically all I can see myself playing for the first few months is Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Sonic Mania, and I've already got a Wii U and PS4. Arms and Bomberman look cool but I can wait for those. In the long term it's better for me to wait it out.

I guess that makes me a 2 or 3.

Neon for life, man. Those colours look so cute.

Tom Nook

Getting Zelda for Wiiu.

Big Nintendo fan but I vote for 2. Maybe Splatoon 2 will convince me when it's out, most definitely get switch for Mario.

VRMN

(1) Preordered, but am open to dropping it, since I'm balancing it and Zelda against other late February/early March releases. If I drop it, I'd either wait for a price drop and/or Mario.

Grey.

oakenhild

1. Already pre-ordered at Best Buy. First console I've ever pre-ordered or purchased at launch.

gray

Also pre-ordered BotW.

Top Bottom