• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will you buy a Nintendo switch?

1 grey have an in store GameStop pre order

Basically buying it now so I don't have to go through the hassle of finding one during splatoon or Mario hour

That and I have never owned a Wii U so Mario kart and Zelda are killer apps

Honestly, this makes sense to me. Problem is, I have a Wii U with versions of these games, but if I never had one, and MK8, BOTW and Splatoon are coming within months of each other?? Hard to blame someone buying it at launch.

2 or 3 because I will probably pick it up once a concrete release date for Fire Emblem Warriors occurs. I would pick up the gray model.

Preordered the Neon version.

I always buy Nintendo consoles. Don't care what 3rd party does as their first party titles are all I want. I have a PC and PS4 Pro for those anyway.

asagami_

Banned
I guess after Mario Kart is launched and near Splatoon 2 date. I wish 1st day to play Zelda but I don't have the money and if I wait Mario Kart I will have Disgaea 5 and I am Setsuna too.

Probably in 4 years from now when I get bored of the PS4/Vita. Will probably go with Switch instead of a PS5 since;

I Will probably be stuck with my 1080p TV and my 2 doughters Will then be 5 and 7 years...good to introduce them to Nintendo at that stage :)

However today I commute on train 3 hours per Day...if I did not already have all the Sony stuff I would probably have bought a switch.

Metalmarc

Was Day One until the Prsentation the other day, now more details have arrived, ahhhh now i dont want one day one.

Well first things first let the early adopters work out any bugs, then let Mario Kart Come out and see how people react to that, if thats positive, then i will consider after E3 time maybe Around Splatoon 2 launchwas my feeling, although i'm leaning more towards Xmas because that also gives time for the Fall online play to Start its pay system and also Xmas Bundle Deals.

hotcyder

2 - thinking about getting one for Christmas (at which point Mario Odyssey, MK8 and Splatoon should be out, as well as Breath of the Wild)

Hopefully Neon if they're still making any :eek:

brawly

Combine 2 and 3

Spring is so packed I really don't need it anyway.

I'll pick the grey one, because I don't plan on ever using the joy-cons for multiplayer and from what I've seen those colours are ugly to me.

MrBadger

I don't know yet. I'll have one for Mario Odyssey, definitely. Don't think I'll bother at launch because Zelda is going to be on Wii U anyway. It'll hopefully be grey.

Sendou

Day 1 unless they really hike up the prices here. Having newest Zelda as portable is enough for now and I've been missing on a "Vita" like device in that very nice graphics and decent screen for portable. Launch window has enough titles that interest me - ARMS, Tetris, Bomber-Man, Zelda and some downloadable.

I feel Nintendo has priced this system for a Holiday cut. Also as it's a portable they'll do more to.make it successful.

Lack of controller backwards-compatibility kills local multiplayer for me until I can get extra controllers for cheap.

dxdydz

Neo Member

As soon as:
- I'll be able to get one without the dock and grip I'll never use,
- paid online will be dropped,
- price will be reduced in half,
I'll consider.

Pila

I will play that Mario on day one, no matter what. I may get it with Splatoon 2 if it looks too good to wait a few months.

I like the idea of colorful joycons, maybe Splatoon will get a bundle with funny ones, time will tell.

Zelda goes on the Wii U, I don't feel the need to upgrade yet.

Geg

1, gray.

I was originally gonna wait but the night of the presentation a friend linked me to some available pre-orders so I was like "eh, why not."

TS-08

Gray.

I don't have it preordered but I plan on buying as soon after launch day as possible, so (1) fits the best.

Maybe around Splatoon2s release.
Hopefully.
If Jan and Feb werent so packed i probably would have gotten it at launch.... maybe
So 1 or 2

Fonds

Right now I'm heavily leaning towards 3 or even 5.

There are just too many red flags at the moment for me to purchase one.

Firstly the launch line-up leaves much to be desired.
Secondly there are a few things about the hardware that are just bonkers (charging issues and 32gb capacity for starters).
Thirdly games that have been released for years and now cost 15 bucks new, or less in a bargain bin, are being sold for 60 bucks... I just can't support that kind of marketing.

data

Both 2 and 3. I really like the idea of the switch, and I'd get so much use out of it by setting it next to my monitor on the desk. The joycons look really comfy because of not needing to put your hands together. I really want a portable Disgaea 5 machine because the Vita isn't getting Disgaea 5, but I won't buy it at 299€. I'll buy it with a few good games included at 249€ or a single good game at 199€. Unless it reaches those prices I won't be getting it because it'd cost over 500€ for me.

Wouldn't mind either model. The neon joycons look really nice. But I wouldn't fuss over it if only the gray one was available.

ElfArmy177

1.. grey..

I bitched and moaned and threw a tantrum cursing Nintendo.... And then I saw the Zelda trailer... God damnit I'm so weak to Nintendo's IPs. So weak...

You'll need some deep pockets for the Switch, financial as well as physical.

gamersky_05small_10_2017114723376.jpg

Unless Zelda is a new Ocarina of Time, I don't think I can justify a launch purchase.

If the product ends up being succesful and having a better and longer shelf life than Wii U, I could see the appeal of a Switch XXL, like the 3DS XL. With a smaller bezel, but larger screen and bigger body (and thicker they could significantly increase the size of the screen and the battery. It might feature a second micro SD slot, support for 802.11ax, a sim card slot and significantly better battery life. Maybe a Stylus as well.
Doesn't matter. I don't have to be a early adapter. Let's talk in 24-36 months when hopefully more good software has been made that begins to take advantage fully of the hardware. At this premature juncture there is little. Only the hardcore gamers buy during the launch window. Most people hold off for years until the price is right. Same thing with the other consoles.

Color wise, having a Switch XL in a SNES colorscheme would also be very attractive and welcome.

And that is conundrum with this new Zelda. It looks like the Zelda game I've always dreamed of. A Open World Zelda; but not a Skyrim or GTA. It's Open World on Zeldas terms and with Zeldas mechanics. The art direction and fantasy looks straight out of Mononoke-Hime (one of my all time favorites). The game looks incredible. It gives me a sense of vibe I didn't felt at all during Zelda Wii (ugly) and Zelda Wii U (interesting art style, but betrayed by the weak hardware).
Finally it's my hope that the story, while not deep is more engaging. I want Zelda to take story seriously, even if it's in a more abstract form with short dialogue, limited cut scenes and reduced storytelling. I think it's important. I think it's important even if Miyamoto hates story and think it defeats the point of game. Zelda Switch looks like the strongest Zelda since Wind Waker. A game that is iconic and a classic.

At launch and already pre-ordered but so far hoping for more launch window game announcements. Even the Wii U and Wii had the full menu of racing, FPS action (Red Steel, ZombiU), etc. but we'll see.

Gray.

(3) Neon

Once it drops to $299 CAD with a bundled game (it is $400 now), so maybe in a couple of years? That is, if our Dollar doesn't tank anymore

Still need more more titles announced for it before I consider taking the leap. Also, to see third party support is here to stay for it.

So... 2018 looks like when I will make my decision.

OR... or... or... if they announce a Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem follow up. I'll mail Nintendo my wallet that day.

Top Bottom