• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will you buy a Nintendo switch?

Team #dayone with the gray model. I like the Neon blue joycons, so I was disappointed to see that the "Neon" SKU doesn't offer either a red or blue set. No way I'd want one red and one blue joycon.

Teppic

I need more single player games from Nintendo since I'm not paying for online. Since Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Smash doesn't interest me anymore the value of the console has gone down a lot. Only interesting games are Mario and maybe that new game from Bravely Default developers. So I guess (3) I'm waiting for a huge price cut and maybe a revision. Or they could remove the cost for online play to raise the value of the console.

Betty

Banned
Either

A) When Mario Kart 8 comes out and the reports from users are positive.

or

B) When Mario Odyssey comes out (hopefully with a bundle)

Once it has more games under its belt, so likely this holiday when there's a deal or two. The next major game after Zelda is almost 2 months later and it's a damn port.

There's just no way I'm spending almost $400 for Zelda.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
When it has a price drop and quality indies are starting to get regular releases on it. The illusion of it ever getting major third parties on it is dead now. I've come to accept that. But hopefully in time the indie support will come, and that should be enough for me especially when combined with a hopefully decent virtual console and the occasional good first party game. The indie support is what will make or break this system.

Lebon14

It'd be Grey but...

A price cut would be nice but I could wait forever because they could very well not price cut it. It's more the fact that I am on Welfare and need to fork a minimum of 550$CAD on it...

If I ever get one, it's going to be very far down the line.

I'm getting mine Day one because I'm a fanboy.

I'd say to anyone on the fence, just wait till Christmas. A holiday lineup of Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey and Splatoon is a really solid base of games, and by that time we will probably have a few nice Indie games as well!

Griss

It all depends on the online plans and service.

If this thing launches and that information hasn't been made public, but is left as a vague 'In six months you'll have to pay for a feature yet to be determined' then that will be a disgrace and I can't legitimately support that with a purchase.

If they were to come out tomorrow and say the service is $10 a year, I'd probably buy as close to launch as I can.

bosseye

A combination of all those options. No plans to at the moment, I'll wait and see how the games line up over the next couple of years and I'll need a price cut to even consider it, regardless of the software library. If I was choosing one, it would be the neon one. I like the blue/red, my kids would love that.

For me it's a combination of 2, 3, and 4. Id like a price cut or a pack in game, but I'll settle for a good ebay price. I picked up a brand new PS4 and Wii U that way. As far as games go, I need a must buy. Games like Pikmin 4 and Pokémon mainline game will do that for me. And then all the other games I like but don't need will be icing or eventually there will be enough of those to justify the system.

So it's really only a matter of time before I buy the Switch.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Got a grey on pre-order, but still in two minds about it.

One, having seen them in real life, the neon controller do look funky, but I'm also a fan of symmetry.

That and I kind of suspect a post launch bundle at some point, like in the summer with Splatoon 2. The other dream is purple joycons.

I'd say to anyone on the fence, just wait till Christmas. A holiday lineup of Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey and Splatoon is a really solid base of games, and by that time we will probably have a few nice Indie games as well!
If you already have a Wii U it's not that solid. Only exclusive is Mario and splatoon and if you don't like the paid online thing splatoon isn't as attractive

retroman

They're both negative in the sense that they both serve to diminish enthusiasm for the console. They both say the Switch is not worth buying yet. Compare this with something where the outcome is positive like "as soon as I have enough money!". If a question begs a certain answer the survey results will be biased. OP survey is super partisan.

Can't say I agree with that. I think the options are pretty reasonable.

3 for sure. A little bit of 4. And I'm still undecided about the color. Grey feels safest aesthetically, but I also like red/blue. I will probably buy the cheapest one or the one that's available.

I'm a little bit worried about Switch using Nvidia technology though. I remember Nvidia charging a lot for their shitty GPU was one of the factors that made it hard for Sony to cut the price of the Playstation 3.

Not sure about that. Have a feeling the Nintendo Switch will be a hot item to get in the 2017 Xmas season. In other words, if you want one, get it in the summer or spring time IMO.

Went from day 1 to probably somewhere between after more games/price cut.

Part of it depends on how Zelda is performing on Wii U, tbh. Until Mario arrives, that's literally probably all I'd play on Switch, anyway. If it's rock solid on Wii U, I'll probably buy a Switch Mario bundle if/when available.

Duxxy3

Waiting for more games. $299 isn't a big deal. It's the lack of games that is keeping me from the system.

Rootbeer

Banned
pre-ordered day 1 literally within the first 5 mins it was available on bestbuy.com. So yeah. Gray, cause I really don't like the mismatched color thing they are going for with the other model.

Bring on Breath of the Wild!

Zelda Day 1... Mario late 2017... Xenoblade 2 either late this year or hopefully sometime in first half 2018... yeah, I'm taken care of. This system has a lot going for it in my eyes.

jobrro

I guess probably 2 or 3, though might end up tempted for 1. Ideally I'll wait for a bundle. First Nintendo hardware I won't buy at launch since before the Wii.

Will definitely buy someday but the only launch title that appeals to me (at the prices they are going for anyway) is Zelda and I can play that on Wii U. Mario looks wonderful but it is a while off. Ports of Wii U games I already own don't interest me at all.

Bit turned off by paid online, though will await full details before reading tooooo much into it. Seems like a bad deal from the current information compared to PS+ and Gold, but maybe pricing will be okayish.

Also grey.

Frodo

I really want to play BotW (it is the only game I've been genuinely excited for since, I dunno, Bayonetta 2), so if the stars align and I have spare money I'll probably buy at launch. If not I'll probably play BotW on the Wii U and wait to buy the Switch when I have the extra money and it is not a strain on my budget. Will probably get the Neon version then.

prag16

Banned
Some combination of 2, 3, 4.

I have one preordered but will likely cancel or see if someone else wants it. I'm not a huge Zelda guy (and even if I was, there's the Wii U version). The hardware is nice; would have preferred $250, but $300 isn't a dealbreaker for me. But it's about the known lineup. It's terrible. I'm not down for double dipping on MK8 and Splatoon (yes, I know new game..) and the paid online is a huge concern at least until we know more about the details and pricing.

There's a good chance I pick one up for Mario late in the year (and at that point hopefully it'll either be $250, or $300 with a good pack-in). I guess I prefer the gray edition (which is what I have preordered) but I'm wavering lately... the neon one is growing on me every time I see it.

M-PG71C

1, and gray. I always get Nintendo platforms at launch, I usually get a lot of it. Zelda and Bomberman for launch. MK in April. And then for summer ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Sonic.

And since I'm still catching up on PS4 games, I'll get I Am Setsuna, DQH, and potentially Disgaea on the Switch instead so I can them portable.

witness

Preordered on GameStop, grey. Waiting on more news before deciding if I'm going to cancel it. Need to hear about more Wii U ports coming, Smash and Mario Maker specifically, since I did not own a Wii U so this is really important to me. Also, what form the VC will take since all I want is Zelda so far on day 1.

BumRush

2-4

Gray

I've bought the last few Nintendo consoles at launch and sold them after 12-18 months. I'm going to try the opposite approach here, buying it towards the end of its lifecycle with a treasure trove of games.

4 + Neon

I assume there will be a larger amount of software announced during E3 (JRPGs, PKMN Stars, etc), and that there will be newer joy-con colors announced closer to Splatoon 2 and/or Super Mario Odyssey.

Luigison

2. I don't have time for LoZ during the school year. I'll probably pick it up early Summer with Mario Kart. If not I'll get it with Mario Odyssey when it comes out.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Probably later this year. I still have unplayed DS games so I want to work on my backlog first.
I like the grey model best, but I hope they announce a green one. :D

boiled goose

good with gravy
If proper online account: as soon as possible.

Given that's unlikely, probably near end of it's life when it has a decent library and has been discounted or upgraded.

Peltz

I did not to preorder due to the weakness of the conference and launch library. But all of the hands-on videos of the hardware show how sleek it is and the improvements to the draw distance on Zelda are too significant to ignore. I cannot state this enough - this looks like possibly the most well engineered pieces of video game hardware I've ever seen. Everything looks so sleek and well thought out.

I will try very hard to grab one at launch (1) at Nintendo's store in NYC. They were well stocked with Wii U's at launch so hopefully I can nab one the morning after the midnight launch again.

I'm not sure what colors I'll grab. I think I prefer the grey, but I may pick up the blue and red joy cons later on down the road. A Pro Controller is an immediate must though. I do not want to play games like Street Fighter or Sonic without a d-pad.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Depending on how things shake out, i'm going to buy one either late this year or early next year, so i have a while to get a feel for the system and what it has to offer.

Top Bottom