• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When's the last time you replayed a previous gen game you beat 10+ years ago and how was the 2nd go around?

Humdinger

When I had an Xbox 1X a couple years ago, I tried replaying these three games:

- Jade Empire
- Morrowind
- Halo: CE

Although I was initially pleased by the visual upgrades, I just didn't feel engaged enough to play through them again. Morrowind is too damn long to replay. Halo felt more repetitive in its shooting than I remember. I only got about halfway through before bailing out. And while I like Jade Empire's characters and dialog, the combat and environments just didn't hold my attention.

I found that all three were better left as memories.

Otoh, I've had good experiences replaying games from this generation.

Hiz_95

I recently replayed the GBA version of super mario world, still enjoyed it.

It was a bit easier than I remembered but the last time I played it I was a lot younger

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Played Super Mario RPG for the first time since High school. Way easier than I remember. Only last boss gave me some trouble. I was going to attempt the secret boss but got distracted.

BlackTron

Played Super Mario RPG for the first time since High school. Way easier than I remember. Only last boss gave me some trouble. I was going to attempt the secret boss but got distracted.

I came in here to say Mario RPG. This was my first RPG, I was in fifth grade. I still replay it every couple of years. Still have the cart, even with the cardboard box, but I've played it on Wii VC, SNES classic and emulated on PC. The first time I played the game, the shark boss Johnathon Johnny Jones was so hard I couldn't beat it until I used a pencil and paper to keep track of his HP to help me (once I did that, he went down first try). As an adult, the game is a breeze.

I don't think I'll ever stop replaying this, Ocarina of Time, Starcraft, Sonic 2 and SMB3/SMW/Yoshi's Island.

JLB

Banned
Red Dead Redemption, when it was added to BC. It felt completely amazing, and the enhanced graphics on the X were a huge plus.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I came in here to say Mario RPG. This was my first RPG, I was in fifth grade. I still replay it every couple of years. Still have the cart, even with the cardboard box, but I've played it on Wii VC, SNES classic and emulated on PC. The first time I played the game, the shark boss Johnathon Johnny Jones was so hard I couldn't beat it until I used a pencil and paper to keep track of his HP to help me (once I did that, he went down first try). As an adult, the game is a breeze.

I don't think I'll ever stop replaying this, Ocarina of Time, Starcraft, Sonic 2 and SMB3/SMW/Yoshi's Island.

The Pearls puzzle stopped me dead in my tracks as a kid without the internet. Eventually I got the answer from an uncle I think.

JimboJones

Played through Metroid Prime on the WiiU when the Trilogy collection became available, despite the low resolution the 60fps gameplay made it seem more modern than something from that era should (plus I think the Metroid formula is probably timeless as it's still being copied today), Wii controles where a nice way to replay too.
Found it a lot less scary 2nd time round though 😅

Last edited:

BlackTron

As a 9 year old I just couldn't figure it out. I was trying combinations that made zero sense with letters that didn't make words.

Without a doubt, conquering the sunken ship as a child was one of life's greatest gaming tests. I was comfortable with my platform game skills having started with Ducktales at age 5. But this was something entirely new and unexpected, with new types of puzzles. It was challenging, and mind-boggling, and consumed me entirely. In fact, when I first rented Mario RPG, I didn't know what an RPG was and came in entirely confused and bewildered at what the game was doing.

Jtibh

Banned
Doom 64. Way less scray then i remembered.

Doom 3 ps4 edition. Just as good if not better coming from xbox original

Fbh

Replayed DMC3 not that long ago.
Still easily the best game in the franchise and one of the best in its genre.

MrMephistoX

So I have a bad habit of starting and restarting OOT on my 3DS lol and then I get to water temple get confused and forget where I am and what I’m doing...then I put it down for a year and start over. It was like my go to game for business flights...before the dark times.

So far this year I've sunk over 450 hours into fallout New Vegas, which is a game I be at least four times at launch. Tried playing dead space again but not sure how far I'll get with that because I'm not a big fan of how the controls work which is a shame because at release I really love the game beat it five times back then.

CitizenX

Banned
i just finished metro Last light its only 7 yrs old and shows how a single player, linear game can be so much better than all this open world trash. I usually also play Singularity(2010) every so often because if there is one dev sitting out there waiting to rise again, its Raven.

Top Bottom