• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the Arcade Racers?

BiggNife

The game does have a great sense of speed, but has terrible frame drops and stuttering in the PC version, which is the one this .gif would be from because on the xb1 the game runs at 30 fps.

The PC version runs totally fine when locked to 30 fps. It's when you try to run it at 60 is when everything goes to shit.

Patrick S.

Banned
The PC version runs totally fine when locked to 30 fps. It's when you try to run it at 60 is when everything goes to shit.

Yeah, this is true. I have been playing this game on PC since it came out, and while it does run fine at 30 fps, many people have input lag at that speed unless they limit the framerate via an external program, and even people with 1080 GPUs and the fastest Skylake CPUs have to run it that way because 60 fps is unachievable for them right now, which is certainly disappointing.

Really? This looks like 60 fps to me...

It's probably due to the motion blur that smooths everything out.

On topic, I do wish we get some split-screen arcade racers this gen, I loved playing Motorstorm, Split/Second and Blur local multiplayer, it's the main reason I brought those games.

BiggNife

Yeah, this is true. I have been playing this game on PC since it came out, and while it does run fine at 30 fps, many people have input lag at that speed unless they limit the framerate via an external program, and even people with 1080 GPUs and the fastest Skylake CPUs have to run it that way because 60 fps is unachievable for them right now, which is certainly disappointing.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a bummer. I just got a 1070 and I'm kind of pissed I can't get a stable 60fps even on medium. Just saying it's totally playable at 30.

I actually haven't noticed any input lag, maybe I'm in the minority there.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah OP, its shitty. Atleast XBox owners have Horizon 2 and Horizon 3 as well as Need for Speed Rivals to hold them over.

PS4 folks only have Driveclub...and Need for Speed Rivals. And it would be so easy for sony to just order a remaster of the motorstorm trilogy

As it stands now, the only thing i can think of is EA deciding to give Need for Speed Hot Pursuit an ultimate edition remaster with all DLC

I'm not counting the always online racing games cause, yeah, i don't support that junk

jdstorm

Banned
At least Mobile is a great platform for racing games. So there are a few good ones on the App Store/Google Play.

Ashhalt 8 is incredibly fun. I wish Gameloft/UBI would do a console port

Looking forward to 80's Overdrive on the 3DS....

screen02.png

First time hearing about this one. Looks great.

Unicorn

http://imgur.com/qPlrtHD
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1242418

driftstagehead2.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=968195

The two that take the most of my time up. Both are still "Early Access."

Ballistic NG is pretty feature complete as of today though. 0.5 patch hit today adding online MP and a track editor and has plenty to dig into for a handful of hours.

Drift Stage is still Alpha and playable for backers on KickStarter, but the most recent build from last week feels so good and actually has me returning every couple nights to try and improve my lap times.

Inidies are our only hope, but since they are small teams, we have to wait and/or deal with "Early Access" so they can afford to eventually "finish" them.

Trackmania Turbo, people.

This!! The GOTY on consoles nobody is talking about

I'd honestly consider Horizon 3 a killer-app if you love racing games.

Been playing it on PC. Spent like 8 hours playing it yesterday but now I'm kind of bored. The environment and the kinds of events you do got very repetitive for me

It honestly makes me wish I was playing a balls out arcade racer like motorstorm. Wish Horizon would take it a little further

radcliff

Actually it's called Cruis'n Redline and here is footage of this Nintendo arcade racer:

Youtube

Here's a Polygon article on the location test of the game. Seems Nintendo/Raw Thrills are rebooting the whole series.

It would be great to see it on NX, but I doubt it comes.

Name was recently changed as noted by this article and press release. Currently says arcade exclusive, but Nintendo has launched consoles in the past with arcade racers (F-Zero, Wave Race, Cruisn' USA, Excite Truck, etc.) and so I wonder if some kind of upgrade could release for NX with maybe extra tracks/cars.

Been playing it on PC. Spent like 8 hours playing it yesterday but now I'm kind of bored. The environment and the kinds of events you do got very repetitive for me

It honestly makes me wish I was playing a balls out arcade racer like motorstorm. Wish Horizon would take it a little further

I personally don't think the Horizon games ever really get boring, but yeah, they definitely aren't as arcadey as I'd like in some respects. But man, they're still so, so good.

I personally don't the Horizon games ever really get boring, but yeah, they definitely aren't as arcadey as I'd like in some respects. But man, they're still so, so good.

My favorite things about it are the feel
Of the driving, which is fantastic and the bucket list challenges.

its a great game and I've been enjoying it, it's just missing something that I can't really figure out yet.

Reminder that track mania turbo is having a VR patch in it next month 👀👀

That sounds like too much for me tbh

Atomski

So many of these suggestions are Steam games. I don't have (nor do I want) a Steam account. I should've clarified in the OP that there are no real console arcade racers on the horizon.
I can't handle but find this strange and hilarious.

Wants arcade racers.. dosnt want platform with most recent arcade racers.

OK...

v0yce

My favorite things about it are the feel
Of the driving, which is fantastic and the bucket list challenges.

its a great game and I've been enjoying it, it's just missing something that I can't really figure out yet.

Same.

I haven't played 3 yet but I played both 1 and 2 (and the F&F thing) and lost interest in both very quickly.

Ultimately I think its comes down to the courses/tracks/(whatever you would call them) simply not being very interesting. Like its initially cool having the large world to drive around but once you start getting into the meat of the racing it feels... lacking.

At least that's what I've come up with when scratching my head thinking "why don't I like this more?"

If you're not interested in steam games, playing on PC, then it's more than the lack of arcade racers that you need to worry about.

It's slim pickings all around on consoles.

DonMigs85

Yeah, I'm really sad about it too. I just want a nice, preferably 60FPS arcade racer on console again.
Actually this generation publishers have been too scared to take risks - we don't have a lot of RPGs and fighting games either. It's mostly first person shooters. And the ones we did get have this lower-end/poorer production values feel to them, like Street Fighter V.

I-hate-u

I feel you OP. I know people here love DC, but I was so disappointed that they didn't do a game inline with Motorstorm. DC is not a sim, but it's not what I say is an arcade racer to me.

Also R* seems to have no inclination bring the king back aka Midnight Club.

Syraph

Neo Member
I miss them badly. Also I don't get frustrated much from game news/interviews much if ever, but I legitimately did get a bit irritated (even though the post was made partly in jest) when I read an excerpt from a Summer Lesson interview.
Well we at Tekken Project always try to release games shortly after the launch of hardware, like with Ridge Racer, and sometimes with Tekken
Liars! Stop lying you liars!

I'm really missing Ridge Racer this gen...
I miss them badly. Also I don't get frustrated much from game news/interviews much if ever, but I legitimately did get a bit irritated (even though the post was made partly in jest) when I read an excerpt from a Summer Lesson interview.
Good news is my brother bought a FH3 code recently in that Target error, so I'll get to play it. Bad news is, that it's very likely that I might not like it, as I haven't liked any open world racers yet aside from maybe Midnight Club.

marrec

Banned
I'd honestly consider Horizon 3 a killer-app if you love racing games.

If I didn't have the PC to run it I'd definitely buy an Xbox for it and feel good about my purchase.

In fact, I'm considering getting a GTX 1080 so I can play in full 4k 60fps* glory on my TV.

not exactly stable but still

I think a big reason why racers have been in such a slump in terms of sales is because of how similar they are nowadays. They were really at their high in popularity during the PSone/PS2 days (including arcades over that period) when there was a lot more balance to the genre. You had your sim racers, your hybrids and your pure arcade racers. Now it's mostly just sims and hybrids. And the hybrids tend to lean a lot more toward sim than the traditional arcade experience that people expect from the genre.

outruneirny.gif

rrvkcq1k.gif

Just look at the speed you take corners at in those games. Another thing is that arcade racers tend to prioritize framerate, so they run at 60fps. While hybrid racers are almost always 30fps. Which is really strange given that even sim racers prioritize 60fps.

Inuhanyou

Just look at the speed you take corners at in those games. Another thing is that arcade racers tend to prioritize framerate, so they run at 60fps. While hybrid racers are almost always 30fps. Which is really strange given that even sim racers prioritize 60fps.

Midnight club never prioritized 60fps, and that was pretty good regardless

shockdude

Need more arcade racers. Ballistic NG looks cool, I'll check that out.
Midnight club never prioritized 60fps, and that was pretty good regardless
Midnight Club's a weird one. It's a fantastic arcade racer in spite of the fact that all its games were 30FPS on consoles and sometimes lower.
The only Midnight Club on PC is Midnight Club II, and playing it at 60FPS is incredible.

Inuhanyou

Need more arcade racers. Ballistic NG looks cool, I'll check that out.

Midnight Club's a weird one. It's a fantastic arcade racer in spite of the fact that all its games were 30FPS on consoles and sometimes lower.
The only Midnight Club on PC is Midnight Club II, and playing it at 60FPS is incredible.

Midnight club 2 was the only one that had a fantastic sense of speed though :/ Midnightclub 1 was ugly as heck on PS2, and Midnight Club 3 DUB edition wasn't the same.

farisr

Trackmania Turbo is downright stunning.
I would've been really into Trackmania Turbo if it had more circuit tracks that had a long track length (30-60 seconds per lap is too short). It pretty much nails every other feature in terms of what I'm looking for in an arcade racer, but falters in that aspect for me.

I would've been really into Trackmania Turbo if it had more circuit tracks, and had longer track length on average (30-60 seconds per lap is too short). It pretty much nails every other feature in terms of what I'm looking for in an arcade racer, but falters in that aspect for me.

That's my only complaint with the game as well, these shorter laps make it get a bit repetitive with time. I've seen someone somewhere saying the game plays like a mix between Trials and classic Sega arcade racers and that's not 100% accurate but it's damn close. The sense of speed is just flat out awesome.

TheBear

All of the arcade racers on PC I am interested in have all been in development for years and don't appear to be getting close to finishing :

All of the arcade racers on PC I am interested in have all been in development for years and don't appear to be getting close to finishing :
Well yeah, that's the nature of game development, and the consequence of having transparent development from the start.

Distance is nearly completion, and GRIP has evolved a ton since the first build

shockdude

Midnight club 2 was the only one that had a fantastic sense of speed though :/ Midnightclub 1 was ugly as heck on PS2, and Midnight Club 3 DUB edition wasn't the same.
True. That being said, Midnight Club LA's sense of speed was alright.
I really wish all the Midnight Club games had proper PC ports.

Inuhanyou

True. That being said, Midnight Club LA's sense of speed was alright.
I really wish all the Midnight Club games had proper PC ports.

Yeah, i played LA only a bit though, it wasn't gelling with me,but what i played seemed decent, i just wasn't all that into it at the time, its been years though.

And is that really true? That Rockstar didn't properly port them to PC?

Kickz

Last gen, we had an overabundance of fantastic arcade racers: Burnout Paradise, Split/Second, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Motorstorm, Blur...the list goes on.

This gen, there's been, what? Need for Speed: Rivals? And...that's been kind of it. Arcade racers are my jam; the lack of these titles saddens me to no end. Last night, I read that Criterion cancelled their newest racer in favor of something Star Wars-related. I hope the arcade racer genre isn't going the way of the beat 'em up. *sigh*

Get on Forza Horizon series, its the closest thing to Burnout 3

Top Bottom