• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the Arcade Racers?

The last few didn't sell all that well, and in some cases the studios were closed as a result (Bizzare Creations, Studio Liverpool, Evolution), others were pushed over to different projects (Criterion).

Most of these games were produced in the UK and the UK racing game development scene was hit pretty hard over the last 5 or so years, so that crippled the software output.

There's still lots of crappy titles out there, but they are, as I say, crappy. Games like the new Flatout, and there's a few motocross games etc.

Looking forward to GRIP, Redout and the Wipeout Omega Collection. Fingers crossed Sega make another Sonic and Sega All Stars racing game too. Driveclub and Forza Horizon are great arcade in a sense but they're quite tied to realistic racing which will be boring for some. I certainly appreciate wackier arcade racers like Burnout and Mario Kart.

I could use a good one. I like Driveclub, but i need one that is way more arcady. Nwe Burnout Paradise would be great.

Sims are okay for an hour or two but they become horribly boring, real fast.

shockdude

Reposting this from a Steam thread because why not.
No one makes arcade racing games like this anymore.

whatiplayed_mc23hyvi.png

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

I'm very excited to play this. I put a lot of time into the original Wipeout back in the day! That said, I bought RMX Racing and even the slowest setting is way too fast for my old ass these days. I'm running into walls like nobody's business.

I'm concerned that I'll buy Omega Collection and it'll be the same situation and that at nearly 40 I just won't even be able to hang with the slowest speed. Has anyone out there played both RMX AND a Wipeout game recently? I don't remember Wipeout 1 being so damned balls-to-the-wall speedy, but maybe being a teenager at the time helped just a smidge.

Tailzo

I have the crew on pc, but despite a gtx970, 16gb ram and a i7, it stutters.

Maybe I just need to buy Burnout Paradise for pc. I also heard Forza Horizon 3 stutters on pc :(

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Namco and Sega were the largest contributors to the genre, and no one has filled their shoes.

It's a shame because I'd gladly take a colorful arcade racer over boring, ultra serious driving sims. Personally I feel Forza Horizon 3, Sonic Racing Transformed, and Mario Kart 8 are the best we've got.

T_Exige

We need a new NFS Hot Pursuit! More exotic cars and locations with some cops etc, but not too many gimmicks! Loved the 2010 version.

Ridge Racer Type 4 remake or some sort of sequel.

Shame Sony killed Drive Club, I had some good times with that game, despite all the negative press that game got. The Lamborghini pack and some others were great.

I need a new RR on my life, is such an unique series. Is like TR, no company ever really tried to replicate the style, gameplay and visuals of the series. You have indie games being influenced by classic Outrun or other Sega arcade racers, wipeout, F-Zero, Burnout, etc... but RR? None.

My only hope is that Namco tries a RRT4 remake on the Switch. I'll take that.

Oh yes, please! I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Type-4 is actually one of the least interesting game in the series gameplay-wise and took a large departure from classic RR gameplay (power slide is gimped as hell and so many useless cars). I'd rather have them release a new game or port a more arcadey one. T4 is the least arcadey Ridge Racer.

Type-4 is actually one of the least interesting game in the series gameplay-wise and took a large departure from classic RR gameplay (power slide is gimped as hell and so many useless cars). I'd rather have them release a new game or port a more arcadey one. T4 is the least arcadey Ridge Racer.

T4 has the best music, the best visual style and the best tracks of the series.

If the gameplay is the problem, they can update it to be more similar to RR7 or PSP games.

Kinda called it xD

Forza Horizon and Driveclub are more hybrid titles than pure arcade, but they're really, really good.

They make me miss PGR4 a little less.

But I would really like some re-releases on digital platforms of games like Outrun 2, Wipeout HD (where is the 4k version Sony? Are you dumb?), Sega Rally, and so on.

Publishers don't want money.

Oh, and there's Daytona USA now on BC for X1.

sp3ctr3

On http://www.rolling-start.com/ there's a list of upcoming games.

Coming Soon:
The 90's Arcade Racer (???)
Power Drive 2000 (PC)
Drift Stage (PC)
Racing Apex (PC)
RISE: Race The Future (All platforms.)
The Karters (PC. Q1 2017)
Daytona 3 Championship USA (Arcade)
DiRT 4 (PC, PS4, XBox One. June 2017)
Gravel (PC, PS4, Xbox One. Summer 2017)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Reposting this from a Steam thread because why not.
No one makes arcade racing games like this anymore.

What you got is what I want!

From my point of view, the last arcade racer worth a damn released was Sonic & All-Stars Racing and before that there wasn't much either. Arcade racers need
- intuitive, simple controls with some finesse in its handling for interesting pro techniques (like for instance the drift in F-Zero GX)
- extremely high speed
- linear course design
- crazy track designs with all kinds of unrealistic yet challenging ideas to it (e.g. loopings, cylinders, half pipes, rapidly changing directions and so on) designed from a purely mechanical point of view.

what we get, if something is called an arcade racer nowadays is:
- complex sim controls with all kinds of helpers attached to it
- a fucking open world
- flat streets and vegetation to make it look like real streets and vistas

As long as arcade racers continue like this they may as well die completely, as far as I am concerned.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I would threaten a bunny rabbit with a poison carrot for an R4 + Turbo remaster. I love these games. Heck, a proper HD version of the PSP's Ridge Racer 2 would be great too.

Why ask for a retreat of an old game, why not ask for new tracks instead :(?

Has anyone here played Flatout 4? Was thinking about grabbing it at some point. IGN review: https://youtu.be/r1jXGBiyy0Q

I also recommend The Crew as it is definitely an arcade racer, just set within a gigantic map (and many custom race arenas as well).

Excited for Wip3out Omega Collection, but sad that it doesn't have VR support locked down. I would love a full-on arcade racer with PSVR support.

Burnout and crash mode would be glorious if done right in VR.

Melchiah

Sad Bump here, anyway...

If you play on PC you have GRIP, BallisticNG, Formula Fusion, RedOut, Trackmania (all games) and many other that I don't remember now.
Oh, Drift Stage is coming too but I don't remember the date.

On Ps4 very few choices for you. Trackmania and Flatout?

On Xbox ONE there is Forza Horizon, great game, and not so much else.

WiiU and Switch are better thanks to Fast Neo /RMX and kart games.

Before anyone saying that: yes, DriveClub is an arcade Racer but is the really bad and I wouldn't suggest that to anyone.

Redout should be coming soon to consoles as well. As for Driveclub, it's among my top 5 racers of all time, with the likes of WipEout HD (remaster coming in June), SSX, Trackmania, and Stunt Car Racer.

Kart94

Banned
Companies decided people only wanted semi- or full on realistic games with a large large amount of cars from the car manufactures.

Zemm

I'm very excited to play this. I put a lot of time into the original Wipeout back in the day! That said, I bought RMX Racing and even the slowest setting is way too fast for my old ass these days. I'm running into walls like nobody's business.

I'm concerned that I'll buy Omega Collection and it'll be the same situation and that at nearly 40 I just won't even be able to hang with the slowest speed. Has anyone out there played both RMX AND a Wipeout game recently? I don't remember Wipeout 1 being so damned balls-to-the-wall speedy, but maybe being a teenager at the time helped just a smidge.

Wipeout is best played on one of the medium speeds which is way slower than RMX thankfully. Wipeout actually feels like a proper racing game whereas RMX just feels too fast to even be fun until you've memorised the tracks. I dunno, I didn't like what I played of RMX at all but Wipeout (vita version, soon to be PS4) is one of the best racers ever.

Zemm

Blur > Split/Second. If you're gonna bump a thread like this, at least bump it to mention a decent title ;P

I actually prefer Blur too and think it's the best kart/arcade racer ever, but Maximilian was playing Split/Second and it made me look for a arcade racer thread on here.

I'm looking forward to Drift Stage, was a backer but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed it's been delayed so much. These things take time and all but from what I can gather it seems like there's only 3 courses or something? Idk. Still looks great, they're obviously still working on it

Really looking forward to WipEout

Top Bottom