• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the Arcade Racers?

I recently got my PS3 back out and among others have been playing some Burnout Paradise and Split/Second (mainly the former). Man, these are seriously excellent arcade racers. They still look gorgeous and don't seem to have aged at all, and I love each game's hook. Would really love if this kind of arcade racer made a proper comeback.

I'd donate my left nut to medical science for a new Motorstorm game.

The Motorstorm games basically put Evolution out of business. (DriveClub was just the final nail) It'll be a long, long time, if ever, before there's another Motorstorm game. Why would Sony take that risk again?

Temascos

Neo Member
I love Wipeout but it's too intense for most of my friends to play, so we prefer playing Burnout. But I think the main reason for the decline was the lack of split screen multiplayer on consoles for a lot of last generation, it just didn't seem to be around and if it was the framerate was less than desired.

Plus I see open world as a stain on racers, obviously people can point to a couple of games that may otherwise be great (Never played Forza Horizon so can't judge that series) but it's just so damned bland. Fixed courses or no sale.

Atolm

I preordered Omega the other day. I've played Pure, Pulse, HD Fury and 2048 to death (have platinums for both) so I know all the tracks almost by muscle memory but this is the best thing we're going to get, so...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Lots of very good points made in this thread. I'm particularly in strong agreement with:

What you got is what I want!

From my point of view, the last arcade racer worth a damn released was Sonic & All-Stars Racing and before that there wasn't much either. Arcade racers need
- intuitive, simple controls with some finesse in its handling for interesting pro techniques (like for instance the drift in F-Zero GX)
- extremely high speed
- linear course design
- crazy track designs with all kinds of unrealistic yet challenging ideas to it (e.g. loopings, cylinders, half pipes, rapidly changing directions and so on) designed from a purely mechanical point of view.

what we get, if something is called an arcade racer nowadays is:
- complex sim controls with all kinds of helpers attached to it
- a fucking open world
- flat streets and vegetation to make it look like real streets and vistas

As long as arcade racers continue like this they may as well die completely, as far as I am concerned.

+1

Precisely the reason why I don't get too excited over the announcement of a new arcade racer from anybody other than Sega or Namco, especially given your summary above. I've simply been enjoying the aforementioned oldschool arcade racers right here on PC via emulation. Feels great to still play all the old Ridge Racers, Daytona, F-ZeroGX etc with arcade industrial hardware(Bodnar wheel, HPP Pedals, Quaife sequential shifter etc). Very fun!

You won't hear me complaining about the lack of new announcements any time soon. Plus I've gotten back into Iracing and have been enjoying it immensely. That and GT Sport's coming out this year so....*shrug* ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jett

D-Member
I think the last racer I thoroughly enjoyed was indeed Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. Wish we would get a third one. Just a flat out fantastic package. And this ain't a joke, but Nintendo could learn a lot from that game in terms of single-player content. MK8 is so miserable there, same old shit.

At least Wipeout is coming, for those that never played HD/Fury anyway.

I think the last racer I thoroughly enjoyed was indeed Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. Wish we would get a third one. Just a flat out fantastic package. And this ain't a joke, but Nintendo could learn a lot from that game in terms of single-player content. MK8 is so miserable there, same old shit.

At least Wipeout is coming, for those that never played HD/Fury anyway.

Yep, Mario Kart 8 was a more polished game but goddamn SASRT blew it out of the water as far as the gameplay and singleplayer went.

Caayn

I want Test Drive to come back in some form.. hell, any form at this point :(
It came back in the form of The Crew. But the crew lacked the charm of Test Drive.

I'd love for a TDU3, with a fully playable Oahu(/Hawaii) again.

Moofers

The Motorstorm games basically put Evolution out of business. (DriveClub was just the final nail) It'll be a long, long time, if ever, before there's another Motorstorm game. Why would Sony take that risk again?

That's bullshit. You don't make four games in a franchise if it isn't making money. Motorstorm Apocalypse might not have set the world on fire, but the original and Pacific Rift were both successful and highly regarded. The PSP game Arctic Edge even got a PS2 port. You don't spend that kind of money and talent unless you expect to be successful.

Zukkoyaki

Last gen the market got flooded and sales per game dropped, now everyone scarred to make one despite the market now in drought.
For real.

I really think the first decent-sized company to crank out a great arcade racer like Burnout or Split/Second on a legit budget is going to be rewarded handsomely.

Devil

I have the feeling that a lot of skill-based and/or games putting emphasis on wacky fun are either completely dying or sidelined to budget projects, indie games or need a kickstarter to even exist.

Just like it happened with the film industry. The bigger the money involed gets, the safer it is placed.

Look back just a few years ago when the gaming industry wasn't as big. There were all kinds of genres by big publishers. A lot of experimental and wacky stuff.

glow

Banned
On http://www.rolling-start.com/ there's a list of upcoming games.

Coming Soon:
The 90's Arcade Racer (???)
Power Drive 2000 (PC)
Drift Stage (PC)
Racing Apex (PC)
RISE: Race The Future (All platforms.)
The Karters (PC. Q1 2017)
Daytona 3 Championship USA (Arcade)
DiRT 4 (PC, PS4, XBox One. June 2017)
Gravel (PC, PS4, Xbox One. Summer 2017)

I've been waiting on this one for awhile. I love the 80s throwback and neon art style. Unfortunately it still seems to still be stuck in kickstarter funding but I noticed they added they're developing it for PS4 now which is pretty cool. I hope it eventually gets released.

muteki

I didn't realize so many games and franchises without Time Limits and Checkpoints were considered "Arcade Racers".

muteki

Basically anything that isn't a simulator gets called an arcade racer these days.

Interesting, it popped up in another thread where Mario Kart was brought up as an arcade racer and (granted it had an arcade version) it made me stop and think about it, then I saw this thread too.

don't understand why people are recommending horizon/drive club, those games may not be sims but no way in hell are they arcade racers.

mario kart 8 is prob a good shout as is sonic racing transformed but those are kart racers.

nfs rivals is pretty good, its on ea access.

That's bullshit. You don't make four games in a franchise if it isn't making money. Motorstorm Apocalypse might not have set the world on fire, but the original and Pacific Rift were both successful and highly regarded. The PSP game Arctic Edge even got a PS2 port. You don't spend that kind of money and talent unless you expect to be successful.

Not bullshit. Look at the sales numbers. The first was well-received (and also heavily packed-in if I remember correctly), but sales quickly dropped with later titles. Evolution even feared Apocalypse might be the end of the studio, but Sony stepped in to help them financially with Motorstorm RC. But as you can see, even RC didn't help their situation. I think a GAFer recently dug up financials for Evolution in a Sony earnings report and they'd been in the red for a while (can't find the post right now, apologies).
Code:
MotorStorm:    3.59 million
Pacific Rift:  1.08 million
Apocalypse:    0.18 million (some outside factors made this worse)
RC:            0.06 million

Rivals was a lot of fun, though it had server/online issues.

DriveClub and Horizon are absolutely amazing titles, but I wouldn't mind seeing more at all.

The most recent NFS looked like a stinker though.

And now I feel sad that Evolution Studios is gone again. God damn it.

Wanderer5

I should look out for an arcade racer nowadays, but I don't see much of recent stuff that stands out for me. Maybe I would finally check out Mario Kart 8, but meh, probably will just wait out for the switch version sometime down the road.

AmyS

What I really want is a Ridge Racer arcade collection (on Switch with HD rumble). All arcade versions + Rave Racer which never got a f***ing port! Now's the time Namco, do it!

Absolutely. Definitely. Needs to happen.

Namco almost did a port of arcade Rave Racer to PowerVR 3D accelerators for PC, but it disappeared and was never heard of again.

System 22 Arcade:
Gro3qQP.jpg

The PowerVR PC port (unreleased).
2mdQiOp.jpg

EDGE UK and Next Generation U.S. versions of the article on PowerVR / PC Rave Racer.

volcarona

I really miss those kinds of Japanese arcade racers, that just knew how to have fun, in my opinion. I got Ridge Racer 7 recently and I loved it. Played Outrun 2 at an arcade and really enjoyed that, so I got Outrun 2006 for myself so I can enjoy it at home; great game. I would love a game like Ridge Racer 7 with PS4 level graphics and a plentiful amount of fun content.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
It's the genre I miss the most :( Especially since if one does manage to appear these days, it's usually of the lame open world type. Bring back real arcade racers please.

Skyzard

Banned
Everyone should get BlazeRush.

So simple and perfect for online multiplayer short burst rounds.

3 controls:

Direction you go in
Use weapon
Use boost

There's different cars with different stats that move about differently - some of them drifting easier than others, with more stability etc.

Cool weapons, and different types of boost pickups.

The tracks are short, it's almost top-down but at an angle. The animation is fantastic and it looks awesome.

Multiplayer has these death round tournaments that don't last long at all, you get knocked off and you die. Waiting to respawn with the rest as they fall one by one (quickly). There's a bulldozer behind everyone coming for you so it doesn't take long even if you don't finish each other off yourselves. Die first and get placed at the front of the pack for the next round.

Also for local multiplayer it's all on one screen.

It's cheap on Steam and I think on PS4 too.

I've been having a tonne of fun doing a tournament or 2 each night, streaming it to my phone +DS4 in bed from PC.

You scramble to find a boost so the bulldozer doesn't get you and you try not to fly off the track. Do 180s to fire your weapon hope it pays off... man good times.

--also Redout is a fantastic futuristic racer. It's challenging like Wipeout and looks and sounds great.

rainz

Playing Sonic And All Starts Transformed BC on xbone with some friends yesterday reminded me just how much this genre needs to come back strong.. Man i miss the days of N64/PS1 era when there was literally new arcade racers constantly. Not all of them great, but who could forget all those iterations of Extreme G, Beetle Adventure racing etc

yyr

I miss arcade racers with that sweet eurobeat music.

You know Initial D is still a thing, right? Actually, the new version just came out last month. And unlike most of the "arcade" racers mentioned in this thread, it's actually an arcade game.

Game homepage is here: http://initiald.sega.jp/inid0/

Gameplay video. Skip to 7:18 for the first eurobeat song lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYFZnnbLgtQ

I would bet that Round1 locations across North America will get it sometime this year, based on the fact that they have Initial D 8 right now. There aren't that many locations yet, but they're slowly expanding. They also just got Maximum Tune 5, btw, which means the two best arcade racers ever made are now quite well-represented.

If you've never heard of either Initial D or Maximum Tune, seriously look them up. Between their story modes, online features, car customizations, and other offerings, they are absolutely light-years beyond anything else ever produced, and the gameplay is top-notch on both. The only big difference is whether you prefer driving on mountains or highways.

Top Bottom