• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the Arcade Racers?

ElNino

Not bullshit. Look at the sales numbers. The first was well-received (and also heavily packed-in if I remember correctly), but sales quickly dropped with later titles. Evolution even feared Apocalypse might be the end of the studio, but Sony stepped in to help them financially with Motorstorm RC. But as you can see, even RC didn't help their situation. I think a GAFer recently dug up financials for Evolution in a Sony earnings report and they'd been in the red for a while (can't find the post right now, apologies).
Code:
MotorStorm:    3.59 million
Pacific Rift:  1.08 million
Apocalypse:    0.18 million (some outside factors made this worse)
RC:            0.06 million
That's really surprising for RC (which I still play on occasion), unless that doesn't count the free (Scion sponsored) copies at launch. I know the Vita didn't set the world on fire, but everyone on my friend's list (or in Near) had RC so I would have thought it would have sold more than that.

shockdude

Not bullshit. Look at the sales numbers. The first was well-received (and also heavily packed-in if I remember correctly), but sales quickly dropped with later titles. Evolution even feared Apocalypse might be the end of the studio, but Sony stepped in to help them financially with Motorstorm RC. But as you can see, even RC didn't help their situation. I think a GAFer recently dug up financials for Evolution in a Sony earnings report and they'd been in the red for a while (can't find the post right now, apologies).
Code:
MotorStorm:    3.59 million
Pacific Rift:  1.08 million
Apocalypse:    0.18 million (some outside factors made this worse)
RC:            0.06 million
Apocalypse was really fun due to the extremely creative track designs. It's a shame that the series died.

That's really surprising for RC (which I still play on occasion), unless that doesn't count the free (Scion sponsored) copies at launch. I know the Vita didn't set the world on fire, but everyone on my friend's list (or in Near) had RC so I would have thought it would have sold more than that.

And yet I look at DriveClub, which has sales of over 2 million, and I have to wonder why after all those sales failures on Motorstorm did Sony then decide to close Evo when they had a decent hit on their hands with DC. Now maybe Evo was still in the red even with those sales, but it feels like something decided by bean counters instead of looking at the potential of the DriveClub series.

edgefusion

I was playing the GT Sport beta today and it reminded me how much I miss arcade racers. I love racing games but I'm shite at sims, I want the thrill of speed and hurtling into sharp corners at 100mph. What happened to Ridge Racer?

I agree with this, but the matchmaking is so shit it just isnt worth it.

Also there is no car balance.

Yeah, GTAO feels really great to race in but there are some serious caveats that kill it fun-wise. The matchmaking is garbage, the load times are ridiculous, the slipstream is extremely obnoxious and unless you're up front off the block you're basically just playing a banger race. Despite that, if they lifted GTAO racing and put it into a new Midnight Club they'd have an absolute killer on their hands.

shockdude

Didn't Disney own it then kill off all ips? On topic, Full Auto needs a rerelease.
While extremely unlikely, Disney's return to console videogames could mean a revival of the Split/Second franchise.
"Split/Second Season 2" on current gen would be a sight to behold.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
While extremely unlikely, Disney's return to console videogames could mean a revival of the Split/Second franchise.
"Split/Second Season 2" on current gen would be a sight to behold.

There's not much I wouldn't do for Split/second 2

First game is the best racer of Gen 7 as well as one of the most underrated games of Gen 7.

Mascot

This made me laugh harder than it should have:

Capture2_zps3ghy5wto.jpg

nkarafo

Arcade racers pretty much died during 7th gen. The few ones that were released on PS3 or 360 were only 30fps if you can believe that. With VERY few exceptions that were mostly ports of older games (like Outrun and Daytona). Yeah, after so many 60fps arcade racers on PS2/XBOX1/Gamecube, this didn't look good.

I had high hopes for 90's arcade racer. Why isn't it a thing anymore?

Bedlam

Arcade racers pretty much died during 7th gen. The few ones that were released on PS3 or 360 were only 30fps if you can believe that. With VERY few exceptions that were mostly ports of older games (like Outrun and Daytona). Yeah, after so many 60fps arcade racers on PS2/XBOX1/Gamecube, this didn't look good.

Arcade Racers didn't die because of 30fps. Most of them looked and played great.

Didn't Disney own it then kill off all ips? On topic, Full Auto needs a rerelease.

Amusingly I bought Split/Second recently on PSP (playing it on Vita) and the port is actually really solid. May end up buying the home console version just for the spectacle.

Need to try out Full Auto 2.

DonMigs85

Come to think of it, Burnout Revenge, Paradise, F1 Race Stars and Wipeout are the only 60FPS arcadey racers I can think of from that gen.

nkarafo

Arcade Racers didn't die because of 30fps. Most of them looked and played great.
Allow me to disagree. Playing those games at 30fps after already tasted them at 60fps on the previous consoles left a bad taste in many people's mouths. It's like going back to N64/PS1/SAT days. These consoles had many arcade ports that originally run at 60fps in the arcades but had to compromise to 30 because of the lack of power. And the difference was big enough for home port users to envy the arcade versions. I don't see how it is OK for the genre to do this step backwards again. Especially considering it's one of the genres that benefits hugely from a faster frame rate and response and it should be a priority.

MaxiLive

The biggest problem for arcade racers for most consumers (not the core gamers on gaf) they lack the depth to justify the £40 price and most people will wait to pick them up at £15 or so. Yet to have a super pretty fully feature arcade racer it still costs almost as much to produce as other triple A titles.

So with NFS + Forza having the market covered it is tricky for other development teams to hop in with a £40 title and compete with those. They also don't lend themselves super well to being a game as a platform as shooters, RPGs and whatnot can provide. As new cars/tracks ins't enough to entice most people to buy full priced DLC in arcade racers as the experience is so short.

The depth of sims along with community and online features make it far more appeal to most core games and lets them spend hours invested in one game/series where the challenge of a 20 lap race is enjoyable where as an arcade experience is over in 5 minutes per a track. It's why you don't see as many full priced fighting games, or side scrolling beat-em-ups as we used to.

Also missing indie interest means not many small teams are tackling arcade racers as it is very tricky to pull off with a small team & budget especially to hit that £15 price point.

Back in the day it was saturation with 5-6 very big arcade racers coming out in the same year which gave a lot of people fatigued and most of them felt fairly bland.

This thread resurfacing is a good excuse to vent how salty I'm getting about 90's Arcade Racer.

It's been months, possibly more than a year since anything has been seen from that game, and it's developer (pelikan13) has obviously moved on - his next game is a Streets of Rage tribute called "The TakeOver." It's already on Steam, playable in early access... And it's NOT connected to Nicalis in any shape or form. Pelikan13 self published it himself through Greenlight.

Meanwhile, Nicalis would rather do ANOTHER port of Cave Story than update anyone about the status of 90's Arcade Racer. So much for Nicalis getting involved to "perfect the driving physics," eh?

This thread resurfacing is a good excuse to vent how salty I'm getting about 90's Arcade Racer.

It's been months, possibly more than a year since anything has been seen from that game, and it's developer (pelikan13) has obviously moved on - his next game is a Streets of Rage tribute called "The TakeOver." It's already on Steam, playable in early access... And it's NOT connected to Nicalis in any shape or form. Pelikan13 self published it himself through Greenlight.

Meanwhile, Nicalis would rather do ANOTHER port of Cave Story than update anyone about the status of 90's Arcade Racer. So much for Nicalis getting involved to "perfect the driving physics," eh?
It has to be reiterated that we are getting a new Daytona before 90's Arcade Racer

yyr

Arcade racers pretty much died during 7th gen. The few ones that were released on PS3 or 360 were only 30fps if you can believe that. With VERY few exceptions that were mostly ports of older games (like Outrun and Daytona).

Did you forget about Ridge Racer 6 (360) and 7 (PS3)?

Though 7 had a couple of drops in busy scenes, it was mostly 60fps all the way, and RR6 was solid 60, never dropping a frame. Not to mention, both were launch games on their respective platforms. And despite this, no "arcade" racer ever surpassed their intensity and fun for the entire generation. (That's my opinion, of course, but if you disagree, you're wrong. lol)

One of my most favorite genres. I'm salty that it doesn't get nearly as much attention as... certain other genres.

Playing Rush 2049 at my local pizza parlor is one of those gaming memories that will stay for me forever.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

It was rumoured that the developer actually sold the game to Nicalis though I don't believe there's any actual evidence for that, just hearsay on a few threads in The TakeOver forums on Steam.

My personal favourite arcadish racing game from last gen is Driver San Francisco, hell it's one of my favourite games full stop. I have it on Steam but I'd love them to make it backwards compatible on Xbox One as well.

PetrCobra

Only realized this was a bump when I saw a mention of NX on the first page.

90's Arcade Racer is fascinating stuff, what's going on with that? Originally funded on Kickstarter as a 1-person project, with projected budget of 10 thousand ponds (raised 16), before Nicalis picked it up, as announced in an update from... well it doesn't say when, but it feels like it's been in development for a really long time. I wonder if it ever comes out.

Only realized this was a bump when I saw a mention of NX on the first page.

90's Arcade Racer is fascinating stuff, what's going on with that? Originally funded on Kickstarter as a 1-person project, with projected budget of 10 thousand ponds (raised 16), before Nicalis picked it up, as announced in an update from... well it doesn't say when, but it feels like it's been in development for a really long time. I wonder if it ever comes out.
Pure limbo/vaporware atm

i-Jest

No one wants to breath new life back into the Blur IP. A damn shame to since it could easily be the Playstation/Xbox equivalent to Mario Kart 8 for the gen.

You people didn't buy Blur and now here we are.

Pretty much this. To be fair, the game released close to bigger titles like COD I believe. Bad move by Blizzard.

Mascot

I have my PS3 permawired to my lounge TV purely to play Pacific Rift.
Hell, I KEPT my PS3 purely to play Pacific Rift.

A current-gen reboot would be most welcome.

Anteater

yeah I've noticed I don't have many arcade racers in my steam library, and I'm not too in the mood for sims, heck I have more shmups than arcade racers

I miss the whacky edginess of games in general from pre 360 gen. It seemed like most devs slowly moved away from that during last gen with. Heck EA had their own EA Sports Big segment dedicated to just that.

Just how good is Split/Second?

If I had lots of cash I would personally fund Split/Second 2. The game is really amazing. One of the main reasons I won't sell my 360.

Fantastic game and very underrated. Still sad that there will never be a sequel :(

BLUR and Split/Second are my personal favourites of last gen. PURE ( also made by Black Rock studios- former Climax- who made Split/Second ) is also an awesome game.

Top Bottom