• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the Arcade Racers?

Helznicht

Forza Horizon 3 is amazing, worth the purchase of an xbox alone imo

From the Forza thread

4FijmXm.gif

I need to get this now since they added DFGT support on PC.

Is there anything besides "The Crew 2" to look forward to in terms of arcade racers for the PS4? Project Cars 2 and Gran Turismo are sims. I guess Need for Speed might be good this year?

Gestault

This may be old news to some of you, but Riptide GP: Renegade gets a definite nod from me. It falls about halfway between Waverace and WipEout, with a full story/career mode and all the side-modes you'd expect. Good Split-screen, a basic upgrade progression, and a star system for unlocks.

Last I saw, it was on sale for $5 for PC/XB1. It's also on PS4 and mobile, but I haven't played the mobile version.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Is there anything besides "The Crew 2" to look forward to in terms of arcade racers for the PS4? Project Cars 2 and Gran Turismo are sims. I guess Need for Speed might be good this year?

Ridge Racer 8 is coming out for PS4....

...IN MY DREAMS

Zukkoyaki

There's a number of indie arcade racers slated for PS4 but like with many indies, who knows when they will actually release.

There is Redout coming in August

Some of the indies I mentioned look hot:
http://survivethedistance.com
https://www.cagedelement.com/grip/

Re: 90's Arcade Racer

I'm super behind on them so I haven't listened for myself, but apparently somebody who works with Pelikan13 on The Takedown was on the Friendcast a few weeks ago and said Pelikan is looking in to buying the rights to 90's Arcade Racer back from Nicalis so he can release it on Steam himself

Which, to me, really makes it sound like the game's done (or very close) and Nicalis is just sitting on it.

I do wonder what would happen to the console versions in that case, though.

They presumably want to finish their singleplayer campaign, whenever that happens

If it ever happens

99% of the fun of that game is mod support, though, which I imagine they'd have trouble doing on the PS4.

...I just wanna race on cool tracks with cool cars with tight 60fps controls. That's all...I ask for.

I keep approaching these frumpy simcades, but I know the truth. They just can't scratch that itch.

I "wanted" to enjoy The Crew: Complete Edition, but those 30fps controls man, ugh :(

The Crew 2 looks fantastic, but I just don't know.

Distance, RedOut and heck even Cars 3 looks fun.

I recently realised how dire the situation is this gen when I found myself seriously considering buying Cars 3 :(

The arcade games that already exist but aren't given home ports upset me more than non existant games not being made.

H2Overdrive, the Batman racing game, Cruisn Blast, Dirty Drivin, Overtake (this gives me split second vibes), Daytona USA 3
Sega Race TV, Initial D, Battle Gear 4, R Tuned etc etc.

Going back further, Scud Race and Daytona USA 2. Dirt Dash, Rave Racer, proper 60fps versions of Ridge Racer etc.
Luckily a lot of these things upto the late 90s can now be emulated on a powerful PC.

I look forward to emulating the first few games I mentioned on a pc in about 2040 :(

The more I think about this, the more I feel completely out of touch with modern gaming.
This gen has been awful for arcade style games, even compared with the previous gen.
At this rate I will be bowing out of non nintendo consoles after this gen.

Driveclub and Forza Horizon are in no way shape or form arcade racers. Perhaps they are to the sim fans who consider anything not 100% realistic to be "arcade" but such definitions have no place in a discussion of arcade games among people who actually have a clue about arcade games.

I recently realised how dire the situation is this gen when I found myself seriously considering buying Cars 3 :(

The arcade games that already exist but aren't given home ports upset me more than non existant games not being made.

H2Overdrive, the Batman racing game, Cruisn Blast, Dirty Drivin, Overtake (this gives me split second vibes), Daytona USA 3
Sega Race TV, Initial D, Battle Gear 4, R Tuned etc etc.

Going back further, Scud Race and Daytona USA 2. Dirt Dash, Rave Racer, proper 60fps versions of Ridge Racer etc.

Well at least we'll have another chance with that SEGA World Drivers Championship game...

Driveclub and Forza Horizon are in no way shape or form arcade racers. Perhaps they are to the sim fans who consider anything not 100% realistic to be "arcade" but such definitions have no place in a discussion of arcade games among people who actually have a clue about arcade games.

Preach

DKPOWPOW

Excite Truck 2, Burnout Revenge 2, Split/2 Seconds, F-Zero SX, Xtreme G4...

Only in my dreams I guess 😯

cHaOs667

I haven't read all of the past 8 pages but there are plenty of arcade racers from indie developers. Take a look at games like "Obliteracers" (http://www.obliteracers.com or "Mantis Burn Racing" for example.

If you are looking for arcade racers with tons of content an variety you have to take a look at "Forza: Horizon" 2 and 3.

If you are looking for arcade racers with tons of content an variety you have to take a look at "Forza: Horizon" 2 and 3.

Forza Horizon isn't an arcade racer.
Open worlds were one of the nails in the coffin of arcade racers on consoles/pc. I was never a big fan of Burnout from 3 onwards (too much emphasis on crashing) or Need for Speed but I sure had a lot more fun racing the focused tracks of Hot Pursuit than the open worlds of NFS Most Wanted, Burnout Paradise or NFS Rivals.

Regarding indies,this may be heresy, but I don't want low budget indie racers.
Firstly, the one that looked most interesting to me "90s Arcade Racer", was one of the reasons I bought my Wii U, in 2013. Still waiting.

Secondly, part of the appeal of the high adrenaline arcade racer is the spectacle and that requires some sort of budget/larger team.
I love the little pointless additions like fighter jets doing a flyover, a helicopter flying over the track, just stuff going on in the background, all the way back to the fairground in operation beside the track in Virtua Racing, the Helicopter in Sega Rally, the giant screen showing Galaxian in Ridge Racer. The various flyovers during the transitions in Outrun 2 etc etc.

The recent arcade titles I mentioned in my post above seem to understand that and have such details in spades.
Just look how much is going on around the track in "Overtake" or Cruisn Blast.

I feel at this stage expecting anyone to make a new arcade racer from the ground up for the home is a lost cause. But knowing these games already exist in abundance but have never been available on home formats is just depressing.

Melchiah

I never play racing simulators, yet I don't consider Driveclub that different from the arcade racers I've played in the PS1/2 days and in the actual arcade halls. You can also play it pretty much like a demolition racer if you want to. The only major difference is the absence of time-limited checkpoints, but even something like WipEout doesn't have them.

I never play racing simulators, yet I don't consider Driveclub that different from the arcade racers I've played in the PS1/2 days and in the actual arcade halls. You can also play it pretty much like a demolition racer if you want to. The only major difference is the absence of time-limited checkpoints, but even something like WipEout doesn't have them.

Driveclub seems to me to be a sim with certain driving assists enabled.
It seems like a fundamentally different experience than Ridge Racer, Sega Rally, Neo Drift Out, Outrun 2, Daytona 1 and 2, Scud Race, and all the other stylised "easy to pick up, difficult to master" arcade games that barely gave a thought to the actual physics of car racing and concerned themselves mainly with being fun.

It's a matter of perception, but I bought Driveclub and Driveclub VR and honestly I don't enjoy it and believe it's "diet sim" which for an arcade fan is a long long way from "arcade".
For many sim fans anything that isnt 100 percent realistic is "arcade".

Shaneus

Forza Horizon isn't an arcade racer.
Open worlds were one of the nails in the coffin of arcade racers on consoles/pc. I was never a big fan of Burnout from 3 onwards (too much emphasis on crashing) or Need for Speed but I sure had a lot more fun racing the focused tracks of Hot Pursuit than the open worlds of NFS Most Wanted, Burnout Paradise or NFS Rivals.
Preach!

Melchiah

Driveclub seems to me to be a sim with certain driving assists enabled.
It seems like a fundamentally different experience than Ridge Racer, Sega Rally, Neo Drift Out, Outrun 2, Daytona 1 and 2, Scud Race, and all the other stylised "easy to pick up, difficult to master" arcade games that barely gave a thought to the actual physics of car racing and concerned themselves mainly with being fun.

It's a matter of perception, but I bought Driveclub and Driveclub VR and honestly I don't enjoy it and believe it's "diet sim" which for an arcade fan is a long long way from "arcade".
For many sim fans anything that isnt 100 percent realistic is "arcade".

I think the bolded fits DC as well. It's easy to pick up and just race for fun, but it's difficult to master when you move up. That's pretty much like it's in WipEout and other arcade racers. Racing with super and hyper cars (BAC Mono and Caterham SP/ 300.R in particular), and the exhilarating sense of speed that comes with them, is pure arcade fun as far as I'm concerned. What's fun is naturally entirely up to the individual, but for me DC has been the most fun racer since WipEout HD and the original SSX.

edbrat

You people didn't buy Blur and now here we are.

blur online was so much fun, was the first time I actually became friendly with a group of online strangers just bc we played blur all the time. I could not believe it didn't catch on and the fact we will never get a sequel is an awful, hideous crime. Nothing scratches the same itch.

OCD Guy

Horizon 3 is great. Probably one of the best racers I've played this gen. But it's not what I'd class as an arcade racer. It straddles a line between arcade and sim for me personally.

I'm disappointed that we've not got many arcade racers. The few there have been this gen have not been that enjoyable unfortunately. I would have loved another motorstorm.....

Endo Punk

I miss the genre so much. These kickstarter projects are taking forever. Horizon Chase was confirmed for PS4 in 2015 and nothing since. Wtf fuck is going on.

PantsuJo

I miss the genre so much. These kickstarter projects are taking forever. Horizon Chase was confirmed for PS4 in 2015 and nothing since. Wtf fuck is going on.
Last time I checked development of PC version was proceeding... I don't know anything about console versions.

But, hey, the alpha literally runs on a toaster and I presume will be the same for final build... So I will play on my PC, at least.

Shaneus

Last Gamer (Joel) his 7 year old son plays OutRun 2 SP Arcade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9A5cYscFLU

So awesome.

I envision father and son one day having a collection of every single arcade game ever made, in addition to having collections of every video & computer game made for every platform in existence. Joel already has the Guinness World Record of largest video game collection (17,466 games). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjjGblGtiU&t=1s
I still want to know where he gets the money for everything. And despite me being a little active in the Australian retro gaming scene (and knowing several others who are far more deeply invested) I've never really heard his name mentioned in conversation.
Shame, I think he'd do well to share his collection to the broader community.

VVV Mars VG

I still want to know where he gets the money for everything. And despite me being a little active in the Australian retro gaming scene (and knowing several others who are far more deeply invested) I've never really heard his name mentioned in conversation.
Shame, I think he'd do well to share his collection to the broader community.

Yeah, obviously this guy is loaded. There's a lot of well off people amassing huge collections and displaying them on social media now. Trouble is, 80% of these games are absolute rubbish. So it's more collecting for collectors sake rather than to play and appreciate the games.

Godcannon

Arcade Racer or not, doesn't matter, Forza Horizon 3 has been my racing Lord and Savior this gen. I do miss Blur and Burnout as well, but FH3 smokes them. It's entirely different than racing Sims like GT or Driveclub.

Sucks they cancelled the Rollcage sequel.

Bring back Jet Moto!

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
I can't agree with DriveClub being called an arcade racer. It definitely leaned towards simulation even though the controls were a little different than most sim racers.

What really sucks is that a good chunk of the arcade racers that were announced for PC haven't been released yet.

Arcade Racer or not, doesn't matter, Forza Horizon 3 has been my racing Lord and Savior this gen. I do miss Blur and Burnout as well, but FH3 smokes them. It's entirely different than racing Sims like GT or Driveclub.

Sucks they cancelled the Rollcage sequel.

Bring back Jet Moto!
Sequel? Was that the Kickstarter one a while ago? Cancelled??? :<

Driveclub is not an arcade racer

People were so insistent on this when it came out, I tried the free demo and as someone who doesn't play anything sim it may as well have been Gran Turismo

I was interested in the new NFS but it looks like they've doubled down on the chase stuff without actually improving their garbage chase AI from the last game. I am really intrigued by The Crew 2 though, looks pretty fantastic after a lacking first attempt

Rayderism

One arcade racer from last gen that I really enjoyed that failed mostly because they gave it the wrong name...Ridge Racer Unbounded. I rated that game right up there with the likes of Motorstorm and Split Second, but they should have NEVER had Ridge Racer in the name. It's NOT what people expect when you say Ridge Racer, and I think it was one of the main reasons it bombed as hard as it did, but it was a fun and challenging arcade racer in its own right.

Also, someone needs to smack EA repeatedly until they make a new Road Rash. I still boot up the original (PS1/PC/3DO version) on PS1 every once in a while. Unfortunately, Jailbreak and 3D killed that series off.....sigh.

Another fairly obscure one last gen was nail'd. To me, that was like Motorstorm on crack. Happy-fun.

This gen (PS4 specifically)......well, not many great ones, but there ARE actually quite a few true arcade racers, but your mileage may vary.
Flatout 4
Wipeout Omega
MotoRacer 4
Aqua Moto Racing Utopia.
Trackmania Turbo.
Snow Moto Racing Freedom
Cars 3
Table Top Racing
Mantis Burn Racing
Carmageddon Max Damage
Riptide GP Renegade
Blaze Rush
Motor Strike
Beach Buggy Racing
Bears Can't Drift
Drive, Drive, Drive
Absolute Drift
Super Toy Cars

Trust me when I say that some of those are not very good, but arcade racers DO still exist.

Some of the others like Driveclub, the NFS's and The Crew I don't really consider pure arcade racers, more like pseudo arcade racers. To me, the true arcade racers do NOT include licensed vehicles.

TheRook

00200915-photo-font-d-ecran-auto-modellista.jpg

My favorite Arcade racer of 6th gen.
Auto Modellista by Capcom, I loved how the cars in this game felt alive and the sense of Speed was well done.

A current gen version of this game would look amazing~

yyr

I finally got to try Maximum Tune 5 a few weeks back at the new Round1 on Long Island (in New York).

It's as good as it's ever been. It looks gorgeous. The story is still great. The Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack is fantastic. I played through the first half-dozen or so chapters of Story Mode so far...can't really handle VS until at least basic tuning is done.

This and Initial D are still the best arcade racers of this gen or any gen, really. A proper evolution of everything that's come before, with tons of content to boot. So many cars and courses. If you're lucky enough to be able to play this game, you absolutely should go play it. (Linked: USA locator)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7aAYfby4ec

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Namco and Sega still deliver.

rrs

Forza Horizon 3 is very great, but the game wants you take off the training wheels into a semi-sim which I don't mind but could put the game in the void of arcade/not arcade.

Redout is pretty good but the wipout type games kick my ass hard.

GRID1/2 perhaps, but I think that also leans into the semi-sim category.

NFS hasn't an arcade racing game since ProStreet?, it's a laggy input nightmare that makes me mad and want to play OutRun2 instead.

Timu

00200915-photo-font-d-ecran-auto-modellista.jpg

My favorite Arcade racer of 6th gen.
Auto Modellista by Capcom, I loved how the cars in this game felt alive and the sense of Speed was well done.

A current gen version of this game would look amazing~
I wished that game controlled better.

I would literally kill for a Burnout Revenge remake, sequel, or for it to run on Xbox One via backwards compatibility. Traffic Check was my jam.

Closed world arcade racers are amazing, and I hate they were abandoned for the open world Burnout Paradise where you can easily go off course by missing a turn, or have to drive around and around till you stumble into an event you want to play.

I'm such a huge fan of the arcade racing genre. That includes the entire spectrum from sim-cade to full arcade handling models. So it's devastating to me that the genre is dead this gen. It's similarly disappointing that some of the best examples of the genre existed last gen and are being completely ignored by the Xbox One backwards compatibility team. I should be able to play Burnout 3, Revenge, PGR 3, Dirt 2 & Ridge Racer 6 on my Xbox One damnit.

Seriously, what drove Criterion away from the blockbuster Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge to embrace open world games where you have to drive around searching for events.

The whole point of arcade racing is to launch the game, pick the event you want to play and the course you want to play it at, and roll out. It was never to drive around looking for missions.

Also what happened to split screen couch co-op racers. Surely the current machines can handle them, the n64 could.

orborborb

best arcade racing game I've played since F-Zero GX and Motorstorm 1 was that Microsoft exclusive Hydro Thunder reboot and now that dev makes crappy mobile racing games.

yurinka

I miss this genre, but seems that its sales kept declining until they were too bad that some years ago killed many IPs or to release similar important new games.

I want to see new Ridge Racer, Wipeout, F-Zero, Out Run, Motorstorm and Split Second.

For Wipeout at least we have the awesome Formula Fusion on Steam (and somewhere in the future consoles too).

Top Bottom