• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the arcade racers?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
04s8EoT.jpg

Grechy34

This is such a fun genre that rarely gets made or atleast by AAA Publishers. I miss the games like Burnout, NFS (most wanted was the last good one), Cruis'n USA, etc.

I have purchased a few smaller house games of this nature but almost all of their servers or dead. Part of the experience is racing other people but like I said these lower budget publishers games suffer from dead lobbies.

Need for Speed has tried to bring this genre back but those games are mostly shit. Since the underground series and most wanted they have gone to hell. Dirt is a solid series but I personally like the good old fashioned street racing.

There is a decent series called Asphalt that went mostly mobile. Fun games but they went that pay to win angle. Playing these games requires you to have deep pockets to make real progress.

It would be nice if Sega released a new arcade racer pack. Sega Rally/Daytona/Scud Race!

Stuart360

A new Indie Outrun style arcade racer just released on Steam. All point A-B races -

Classic Sport Driving is a retro inspired racing game that is crafted for a more genuine driving experience. Players can drive at high speeds and enjoy a casual racing experience with Arcade mode or have their driving skills fully tested in Pro mode where they will be required to use the brakes and master the racing line!

mer.gif

Looks decent.

CamHostage

Quick question are they any new arcade racer on water?? Like with speedboats or Jet Sky??

Not much on water in a while, sadly. It's way easier to integrate water graphics and physics these days (although that actually might be a problem in disguise, since a designer would be fighting against the "realism" built into whatever water plugin they try to use instead of having some water effects in a game the designers ultimately control.)

I had heard good things about Riptide Renegade, which is sort of Hydro Thunder / Splashdown 'esque. (Previous games were nice-looking in their day but had clear mobile roots in progression; this one was made for home platforms although I'm sure it has a DLC component.) That one's getting older now but seems worth checking out.

LEGO 2K Drive also has water to play on, but it's a different thing from what you're looking for.

Not much on water in a while, sadly. It's way easier to integrate water graphics and physics these days (although that actually might be a problem in disguise, since a designer would be fighting against the "realism" built into whatever water plugin they try to use instead of having some water effects in a game the designers ultimately control.)

I had heard good things about Riptide Renegade, which is sort of Hydro Thunder / Splashdown 'esque. (Previous games were nice-looking in their day but had clear mobile roots in progression; this one was made for home platforms although I'm sure it has a DLC component.) That one's getting older now but seems worth checking out.

LEGO 2K Drive also has water to play on, but it's a different thing from what you're looking for.

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

Crayon

Quick question are they any new arcade racer on water?? Like with speedboats or Jet Sky??

I like the games camhostage posted. Good quality, gameplay and control feel right. Very simple structure with no extras. It's main issue would be a lack of personality.

Last edited:

CamHostage

How is Hot Wheels Unleashed 2, does anybody know? Reviews call it more of the same, but there's some key differences in campaign/event variety (plus isn't there more of an attack power in racing to enhance its skill level over just straight driving?) that it looked at first like it earned its sequel status instead of just DLC. I didn't get it, so I'm not sure how it turned out.

Critics and User Meta is 77, an interesting equal status.

RAIDEN1

How is Hot Wheels Unleashed 2, does anybody know? Reviews call it more of the same, but there's some key differences in campaign/event variety (plus isn't there more of an attack power in racing to enhance its skill level over just straight driving?) that it looked at first like it earned its sequel status instead of just DLC. I didn't get it, so I'm not sure how it turned out.

Critics and User Meta is 77, an interesting equal status.

The first one is part of my backlog haven't even got around to installing it because I've been getting my "racing fix" from Forza Horizon, it's no burn out but it dam good all the same

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Looks like indie Tokyo Highway Challenge/Tokyo Xtreme Racer. Seems to have a decent style of its own. Could be good. Guess a paid non prologue will come?

Last edited:

IAmRei

I want new ridge racer... :')
Im bored with simulation since a decade ago. Even ended liking nfs the run.

Nowadays i only play two racing games: Mario Karts 8 Deluxe and Mini Motor Racing X.

I heard horizon chase are also okay. But somehow didnt click me well.

Top Bottom