• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where can I get a pre-modded PS2?

I checked the TOS, and this seems to be acceptable. If not, apologies and please lock.

First off: this is not about piracy. This is about living in a 180 square-foot Japanese apartment, and I've run out of space.

Currently, I have a metallic blue Japanese PS2 and a normal black US PS2. I'm looking to sell both units and buy a single slimline PStwo that will play all of my legitimately purchased games from both territories. U.S. preferred, as that's the system I go online with. The space under my TV is getting far too crowded, and I literally cannot buy an Xbox 360 until I clean out the two huge PS2 bricks. So I'm being proactive.

Sorry to ask about something so sketchy sounding, but I'm really at a loss here. I'm colorblind, too, so I'm no good with EE and there's no way I can install the mod chip myself. IF YOU LOCK THIS THREAD YOU ARE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST THE DISABLED. :( Help me clear up valuable cubic footage! Please.

BuddyC

You're safe by me. The talk of modding and such is perfectly acceptable (heck, I made a few threads myself about this very subject last year), it's just when people start their piracy scheming that things get iffy.

Zaptruder

Banned
If you're not using velcro to stick consoles to the walls, you're just not trying hard enough to maximize all potential available space.

Matlock

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
I'm actually looking for a place that will ship to the U.S.

Where do you live? Surely there's a tech school or college nearby with a nerd that does modding for a fee.

Brofist

I did the same thing about a year ago, got rid of my regular JPN and US PS2 systems for one US premodded PS2. You are making a good decision, it's so much nicer having one slim that plays everything.

Matlock said:
Where do you live? Surely there's a tech school or college nearby with a nerd that does modding for a fee.

Tokyo. But I want the PStwo shipped to the U.S. In any case, since I'm planning to ditch my current systems and get a slimline, I figure I might as well get it pre-installed.

So, what chip is good? the DMS4 Lite seems more-than-sufficient for my needs, since I'm not planning to run multiple BIOSes or do my own homebrew coding.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
can slim ps2s now be modded without screwing up the drive? i bought a premodded slim ps2 with some alleged drive "fix" about a year ago, and while it hasn't yet crashed on me, i've been getting suspiciously long loads in a few games. if i could do it over, i'd just mod an old-style ps2.

Bebpo

Banned
drohne said:
can slim ps2s now be modded without screwing up the drive? i bought a premodded slim ps2 with some alleged drive "fix" about a year ago, and while it hasn't yet crashed on me, i've been getting suspiciously long loads in a few games. if i could do it over, i'd just mod an old-style ps2.

I think there's always the chance when you buy modded stuff that it could fail down the line because the person didn't do it 101% perfect. I wouldn't necessarily take it as proof that slim PS2's can't be modded.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
there was initially some issue with modchips and slim ps2s -- they sent too much voltage to the drives or something. there have been various fixes, but i wonder whether they're altogether reliable. well, i probably shouldn't generalize from my experience.

Top Bottom