• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you (personally) get the most useful user reviews for games?

Where do you get the most useful user reviews?

• Youtube comments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steam Reviews

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • Metacritic

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Twitter

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Amazon

• Forums

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Tech forums

• Gaming articles' comments

• Tiktok

• None of them are useful

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • I don't use user reviews at all

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Reddit

• Friends

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Bullets-hurt

Neo Member
Critic reviews are generally more reliable to get a vague idea about the quality of a game. User reviews have the same issue as twitter where actually good takes are lost to activism.

Yeah I get it the dev did a thing you didn't like - is the game that was overwhelmingly positive must buy now really a mostly negativity don't play?

And that's before you get to just worthless reviews like 3 word 0/10 and 10/10 takes.

Most useful though is usually the highest rated steam review or just forum posts where someone is saying why you should check out this game.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Steam. Right there on the store page, shows both overall reviews and recent ones (very useful in the age of early accesses and patches), every user needs to own or to have played the game, has anti-review bomb system that still informs you of the review bomb, its designed in a way (recommend/not recommend) that takes into account the user is most interested in bringing the overall score up or down rather than giving a genuine grade.
Steam is awesome for reviews.

User reviews even have a time log counter to show you how long they played it. Very transparent data. And the time metric has some basic functionality to filter to the hours played. So you can weed out trollers who didn't play it, or barely played it like in every other review site where they dont seem to give a shit if a guy never played the game and is giving it a 1/10 or 10/10 for laughs.

I purposely just messed with the slider to show you can even do a time range.

mjkB8vo.jpg

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Even when potentially buying an indie game on Switch, I will often check steam reviews to see what people thought of the game.

Top Bottom