• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where will FFversusXIII stand in 2013? (Seriously no jokes please)

Announced June 2006..... now we are in 2013, and yet no release date or even a decent media blowout.

Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII.png

Since 2006 so many things happened in my life... Lost friends, my grandma, my mother, finished college and got a Job.... I mean my life turned around 180 degree but only one thing stand still.

FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII remained my most anticipated game of all time... and with each passing year I tell myself [This is the year].

First I thought it would be 2010 after the release of FFXIII, but time passed by and FFXIII-2 announced and I told myself [They can't release it now to not steal the lights away from FFXIII-2... it has to be the year after].

How wrong I was again... because now Lightning Returns was announced for 2013.

Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII_2009_01-29-09_01.jpg_500.jpg

So what? can they still release the game in 2013 with LR? I strongly doubt it... so what? that leave us 2014? we have to wait for ANOTHER year? AGAIN?

What about next gen of PS and XBOX? surly they will be released by then.... so what? they are still going to release it for the PS3?

I don't think they will move it to the next gen because they already worked so hard and for many years to build it for the PS3... and they have been marketing it this way.

When we are going to get a decent media blowout and information about the game?

Please don't post silly jokes like they have cancelled it or this game doesn't exist... be realistic please.

This was the last thing we got about the game... a beautiful 6 minutes trailer.... that was 2 years ago, surly the game has changed A LOT since then:

I know a lot of people lost hype and interest for this game and I can't blame them... but not me, because the game got me charmed since the first trailer in June 2006, the music and the art... the atmosphere and the mythology.... everything about it seems perfect for my test <3

So.... where do you think FFversusXIII will stand in 2013?

Media blowout?

Release date?

A lot of information?

What will 2013 holds for FFversusXIII?

Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII_by_KinoS2.jpg

Kyoufu

I think it'll remain in the shadows until FFXIV and Lightning Returns are released. Then it'll finally be unveiled as FFXV.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
In all seriousness, I think it'll show up this year finally. They won't rename it or move it to next gen either. Why would they sacrifice the current PS3 install base?
Versus XIII will be much like FFIX and XII - releasing during a generation transition.

Jawmuncher

I'm betting on Next Gen moved into being FF15 and cutting ties from 13. If anyone can save FF it's nomura or so I hear.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I definitely don't see it being released on the PS3 if new hardware is scheduled for late this year or early next year.

My expectation? New PlayStation this fall or early next year (February). Spring release for Versus.

If not then - then I think it will be completely "re imagined" and "re-built" from the ground-up, will turn into a semi-different game, and will release later in the system's lifespan... 2015?

Also, it won't be numbered. Just "Final Fantasy Versus"

X3p91.jpg

First mainline game to drop the number.

Pooya

What will 2013 holds for FFversusXIII?

maybe we see more of it, actual release likely not happening:

- They are obviously focused on LR

- When 14 is out hopefully V13 dev will pick up but it won't be out soon, early 2014 at best.

- Don't think it will be nextgen or anything like that, their home market matters a lot and there won't be enough userbase in the time frame this game is coming out to support it, this was their thinking for FF14 and somewhat DQX too.

jonno394

I think they have to release it on current gen consoles in order to actually attempt to sell a decent amount/make back what I can only assume is a huge investment.

Release it next gen only and your target base is very small. We know from experience that Square have released major games very late in a consoles life, or in the case of FF9, after the next gen follow up has launched, and I can only imagine the same happening here.

In all seriousness, I think it'll show up this year finally. They won't rename it or move it to next gen either. Why would they sacrifice the current PS3 install base?
Versus XIII will be much like FFIX and XII - releasing during a generation transition.

I think we're at that point where this is somewhat realistic. I mean it will be seven years after the announcement so surely something has to give.

However, I just had an excellent coffee which generally puts me in a very optimistic mindset.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I've been thinking about this more, and they probably view the sales potential of the game as low enough (probably 2-3 million units in terms of what they add to their investor facing revenue expectations) that releasing it on current gen only wouldn't generate enough of a mindshare problem to make hitting that unfeasible.

kurahador

I got a good feeling there'll be something new this year, release date/new trailer/Nomura teases/anything.
And the release date will be sometime in 2014.

BELIEVE

Busaiku

Unless they start bombarding us with info in the throughout the year, aiming for a Fall release, I can't see this happening.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Spring is coming.
-Tetsuya Nomura

Yeah, hopefully Nomura's latest comment relates to Versus (It damn well should!).
Honestly though, I'm still as hyped as I was since it's reveal. I'm not a huge fan of Nomura's character designs, but I can't argue the games he's involved with generally turn out great. As for the release date? Back end of this year at the earliest, spring 2014 at the latest. Wouldn't be surprised if it's renamed FFXV too, but I'm not fussed either way.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The same way that Agito XIII was transformed into Type-0, this will be transformed to another FF game. It may not be FFXV but it definitely will not be VersusXIII. I don't think it will go next-gen though. They've spent much time developing for the PS3 and all of it will go to waste.

2014 or later launch.

farnham

Banned
Isnt this game pretty much kingdom hearts gameplaywise?

I know that I will enjoy it once it comes out but its not my most anticipated game by a long shot

Midou

Duh, exclusiveness, I expect alot of avatar changes/bad mouthing when this finally gets announced for 360 haha

I remember comments like this on the System Wars boards I used to lurk on.

At this point in the generation, 'lost exclusives' are entirely meaningless.

You guys really think this will remain PS3 exclusive, after XIII, XIII-2 and LR: FFXIII being on 360? It'd just seem weird that they would alienate the 360 people who own and have played through games that share the same mythology/universe elements. And it's been in development for this long-- they're going to want it to get more attention and profit potential than keeping it on PS3.

I don't see it happening, unless the 360 can't handle what they already have, but I think FFXIII was compromised to fit it on both platforms wasn't it?

rouken

if it does come this year, it will only be in japan i think. 2014 will be a safe bet for an english release so it might as well be a next gen game. same for the last guardian.

also multiplatform. :)

Top Bottom