• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where will FFversusXIII stand in 2013? (Seriously no jokes please)

Mario007

FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXIII-3 I hear is in the works, Versus is current day setting. Like I said, 6 or 7 years of nothing but this.

What mainline instalment are you referring to that is back to the medieval theme? The FFIV MMO? Yeah I really fell in love with the FF franchise because it was an MMO. That's exactly what I want from here on out.
What you're complaining about, in that case, is that there is no new mainline FF to be released in the near future. Not that there is a trend towards sci-fi setting. Let me put it to you this way:

FF1- Medieval
FF2- Medieval
FF3- Medieval
FF4- Medieval with a touch of sci-fi
FF5- Medieval
FF6- Cyberpunk
FF7- Current day
FF8- Current day + 20 years in the future
FF9- Medieval
FF10- Very much its own settings where people live in fear of technology
FF11- Medieval
FF12- Medieval
FF13- Sci-fi
FF14- Medieval

So yeah look at that, and tell me whether or not there is a trend towards sci-fi or not? Yes they moved away from Medieval, in that not every FF is medieval these days (and thank fuck for that) but they did not do a complete turn-around to sci-fi. In fact 13 is the only pure sci-fi FF title ever relased. It only makes sense that its sequels are also sci-fi.

What you're complaining about, in that case, is that there is no new mainline FF to be released in the near future. Not that there is a trend towards sci-fi setting. Let me put it to you this way:

FF1- Medieval
FF2- Medieval
FF3- Medieval
FF5- Medieval
FF6- Cyberpunk
FF7- Current day
FF9- Medieval
FF11- Medieval
FF12- Medieval
FF13- Sci-fi
FF14- Medieval

So yeah look at that, and tell me whether or not there is a trend towards sci-fi or not? Yes they moved away from Medieval, in that not every FF is medieval these days (and thank fuck for that) but they did not do a complete turn-around to sci-fi. In fact 13 is the only pure sci-fi FF title ever relased. It only makes sense that its sequels are also sci-fi.

12 was more sci-fi IMHO.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
12 was more sci-fi IMHO.

The technology that runs the machines in the game is sort of based on magic though. It really is its own special branch of setting. Which is something I like about FF. I thought that FFXIII was going to have a nice mix of the futuristic world and a more dark ages sort of setting (i.e. Cocoon and Pulse) but Pulse turned out to be a pile of dead people and abandoned ruins that we barely visit.

They'd be dumb to miss the holidays, but who knows I guess.

And was FF6 really cyberpunk?

VI is more steampunk and VII is more cyberpunk but both games don't fall entirely into these two categories in a rigid way.

FF1- Medieval
FF2- Medieval
FF3- Medieval
FF5- Medieval
FF6- Cyberpunk
FF7- Current day
FF9- Medieval
FF11- Medieval
FF12- Medieval
FF13- Sci-fi
FF14- Medieval

My only complaint is that instead of making a FFXIII-2 that nobody played or a FFXIII-3 that nobody asked for or a FFXIII-Lighting Returns that everyone is currently mocking, how about take resources from one of those and make a FF that fans like me are familiar with.

What does an NES medieval FF have to do with the lack of one in this current generation?

Your argument is that there has been one mainline game. My argument is that there has been 7 or so years and (will be) four spin offs. Enough to please all fans of the franchise, but instead this whole generation is catering to one crowd while neglecting fans of the original one.

You want the whole generation one style of FF? You got your wish. I am just saying that it should be a little more diverse. I didn't become a fan because of games like XIII and Versus, so I feel that I have every right to complain for feeling a little left out and left behind for the last 7 years.

demidar

It was some kind of weird medieval/sci fi mash up really.

Basically Lords and Castles with spaceships just cause it's cool.

They did that thing where instead of hard science begetting technology, the answer to machines is magical crystals as a black box, so I wouldn't say sci-fi.

Mario007

12 was more sci-fi IMHO.
Well I suppose you could say Medieval with a bit of Sci-fi but it definitely was not sci-fi. In fact many still herald it as the 'traditional' FF setting.

Though to be honest most FF settings are a mix of a few different influences, which makes them unique.

Shinta

Banned
I don't know why people call XIII sci-fi. It has the most religious content of any of the games. All of Cocoon's technology was basically the product of divine intervention. Cocoon may be extremely technologically advanced, but it's basically Noah's Ark, and most of the people living there had no clue how to run any of it.

FFX was also fairly religious, but cities were technological marvels too.

FF hasn't really done sci-fi yet besides Spirits Within, and I'd love it if they try some day.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
My only complaint is that instead of making a FFXIII-2 that nobody played or a FFXIII-3 that nobody asked for or a FFXIII-Lighting Returns that everyone is currently mocking, how about take resources from one of those and make a FF that fans like me are familiar with.

What does an NES medieval FF have to do with the lack of one in this current generation?

Your argument is that there has been one mainline game. My argument is that there has been 7 or so years and (will be) four spin offs. Enough to please all fans of the franchise, but instead this whole generation is catering to one crowd while neglecting fans of the original one.

You want the whole generation one style of FF? You got your wish. I am just saying that it should be a little more diverse. I didn't become a fan because of games like XIII and Versus, so I feel that I have every right to complain for feeling a little left out and left behind for the last 7 years.

There is no doubt that the last 7 years has been pure development hell for FF fans. I would however say that if things have gone the good way we would have probably ended up with an FFXV that was medieval, perhaps even in time for 2012's 25th Anniversary. But we all know what happened and what we had gotten was 2 mainline FFs that are plagued with problems and 2 sequels.

I seriously doubt that they could have taken the resources off FFXIII-2 to make another FF game. FFXIII-2 was built off FFXIII assets and mostly outsourced to Tri-ace and Lightning Returns (i.e. FFXIII-3) looks to be the same. With the issues that they're having with FFXIV 2.0 and Versus, the resources for FFXIII-2 and LR would not have been sufficient. It's not like they can even use the Crystal Tools again for another new FF game. FFXIII-2 and LR were/are not AAA games. If they want to make a mainline game they would need it to be AAA and given their circumstances they simply can't.

Mario007

First of all 2 million people played FFXIII-2. There is no FFXIII-3 and LR exists as a cash-in job, using the assets from previous games to make some sort of cash while the whole company is trying to ressurect FFXIV. You can be angry about that, the fact that Square is taking so long releasing a new FF game because they messed up FFXIV. Sure I can accept that.

But what you are complaining is that Square didn't make a game for you and that they should make a game for you instead of making other games that other people might like but you personally don't.

Also this generation also saw the release of many spin-off which are set in the medieval setting on other platforms than the HD twins. So it's not like Square is going hardcore sci-fi this generation.

I think a lot of people forget that a secret boss in the first FF was this:

Warmech-ff1-nes.png

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why people call XIII sci-fi. It has the most religious content of any of the games. All of Cocoon's technology was basically the product of divine intervention. Cocoon may be extremely technologically advanced, but it's basically Noah's Ark, and most of the people living there had no clue how to run any of it.

FF hasn't really done sci-fi yet besides Spirits Within, and I'd love it if they try some day.

Science fiction and Religion can co-exist in the same text. Just because there are religions and Gods does not make a game less Sci-Fi. As far as we know, isn't all the gods (at least Etro, Pulse and Lindzei) fal'cie too? I.e. technological machines that run off a crystal core?

I don't think the addition of religion takes away from something being sci-fi.

Science fiction and Religion can co-exist in the same text. Just because there are religions and Gods does not make a game less Sci-Fi. As far as we know, isn't all the gods (at least Etro, Pulse and Lindzei) fal'cie too? I.e. techolgiocal machines that run off a crystal core?

Only in FFXIII is that true.

Magnus

Still don't understand why everyone let themselves get so excited over this. There was never much meat there, was there? Some screens, a couple videos that had a KH-style battle system? Some really boring and uninspired character design?

Why did this get so much fan support and accolade?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Only in FFXIII is that true.

But FFXIII is its own text. It is a sci-fi setting regardless of whether the 3 are really divine entities or otherwise in the other texts (the FNC myth, Type-0 and Versus).

demidar

Still don't understand why everyone let themselves get so excited over this. There was never much meat there, was there? Some screens, a couple videos that had a KH-style battle system? Some really boring and uninspired character design?

Why did this get so much fan support and accolade?

Because we don't know what it is and we like to speculate.

kurahador

And look how well that turns out to be.

Personally...I just want another FFIX. :(
I remember being disappointed so much when they announce how FFXII characters look.

Shahed

I favour both the technological and medieval Final Fantasy worlds. I just want them mixed up regularly. Even if it is only one mainline entry, I could really use a more olden fantasy setting right about now. It's why I did something earlier today that I thought I'd never do. I preordered an MMO, something I've always found boring because it reminds me of everything the current saga lacks

I'd take a technological Versus XIII in a heartbeat though!

I would LOVE to hear a behind the scenes story on why this game is taking so long to develop. What could they possibly be doing (or not doing) that could justify the amount of time? Did they just scrap it and restart 2 or 3 times? I want to know.

I'd love if they gave sci-fi a break, but yeah I'd prefer a mix of the two. Final Fantasy XIV, just take everything you have there and make the new FF out of it. ??? Profit.

First of all 2 million people played FFXIII-2. There is no FFXIII-3 and LR exists as a cash-in job, using the assets from previous games to make some sort of cash while the whole company is trying to ressurect FFXIV. You can be angry about that, the fact that Square is taking so long releasing a new FF game because they messed up FFXIV. Sure I can accept that.

But what you are complaining is that Square didn't make a game for you and that they should make a game for you instead of making other games that other people might like but you personally don't.

Also this generation also saw the release of many spin-off which are set in the medieval setting on other platforms than the HD twins. So it's not like Square is going hardcore sci-fi this generation.
You never read a word I said did you? I never said I don't want them to stop making the current setting for FF. This whole time I have been saying that I would like them to make two branches of the franchise. I am all for both styles co-existing. What I don't like is that one style has taken over IN PLACE of the other this gen and for the past 7 years.

And I couldn't care less about Remnant Crhonicles or whatever. I am a Final Fantasy fan.

So basically you're saying I have no right to complain and that I should like the current settings for FF? And if not, then I should pretend that Remnant Shadows is the next FF?

I think a lot of people forget that a secret boss in the first FF was this:

Warmech-ff1-nes.png
Yeah but that wasn't 70% of the game either. Like I said, earlier, even FFIV had a space ship.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I would LOVE to hear a behind the scenes story on why this game is taking so long to develop. What could they possibly be doing (or not doing) that could justify the amount of time? Did they just scrap it and restart 2 or 3 times? I want to know.
They restarted at least once that we know of.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

It's probably lots of scraping and Crystal Tools problems... They've abandoned the Crystal Tools and is using some combination of something that is made for this game (more action RPG based engine) and the lighting system from Luminious). Back in 2008/09, Nomura also scraped the whole World map. He turned it from a PS1 style to one that is more like DQVIII and Pulse of FFXIII. They've also gone back and forth with the whole CGI to Real time ratio. At one stage it was 7:3 (Real time:CGI) and then later they said they scraped some of the real time scenes and made them CGI. The example given was the Noctis meeting Stella scene. The real time one has been scraped and is now CGI.

It sounds almost like it has gone through FFXIII's lack of direction plus FFXIV's "let's remake the whole thing because Crystal Tools sucks!".

The good news is that ARR is trying to replicate that single player experience.

Does it replicate the single player experience of not paying a subscription fee? Does it replicate the single player experience by way of controlling an entire party and not a single character in a multiplayer party?

Mario007

At the start they didn't have an engine ready.
Then they had to help out XIII team, at least for a while.
Then the engine proved to be shit so they had to remake it.
Then the game was in development for a while.
Then FFXIV flopped and everyone at Square was pulled to remake it.

That's pretty much the 7 years of development in a nutshell.

That's what I meant.

Oh right.

You never read a word I said did you? I never said I don't want them to stop making the current setting for FF. This whole time I have been saying that I would like them to make two branches of the franchise. I am all for both styles co-existing. What I don't like is that one style has taken over IN PLACE of the other this gen and for the past 7 years.

And I couldn't care less about Remnant Crhonicles or whatever. I am a Final Fantasy fan.

So basically you're saying I have no right to complain and that I should like the current settings for FF? And if not, then I should pretend that Remnant Shadows is the next FF?

Yeah but that wasn't 70% of the game either. Like I said, earlier, even FFIV had a space ship.
But the only reason why it has taken over as you put it is because simply they didn't release any other AAA FF game. That's a problem of the development practises and not a problem of Square's obession with sci-fi or not willing to create a different setting. Your solution won't solve anything because, given Square's current situation. For all we now FFXV is in development by a small team and is medieval in its setting. For all we know it was meant to be released last year but then people got pulled to help out FFXIV. That is the crux of the problem, not everyone at Square wanting to do sci-fi only.

So nothing has taken over anything really. It's just an unfortunate turn of events. It could have just as easily ended up being that FFXII was the last mainline FF game while FFXIII would have been an online game that flopped and everyone at Square would have to try and repair it. Then we'd be getting cheap sequels of FFXII with its medieval setting. It's as simply as that.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Not making fun of you, but this instantly conjured up the image of Versus XIII being excavated out from a mountainside, and maybe that's why it's taking so long.

Lol...With the manpower of 1 Nomura. In the cold winter.

CorvoSol

Err... I beg to differ. Many, many questions about AG's world popped into my head as I watched the trailer. Maybe because it was something I've never seen in FF before. Even without that, her escape was pretty suspenseful.

But it is something you've seen before. Dye Agni's hair green and change the desert to snow and it's Terra escaping from Narshe. Dye it pink and make the desert a city and it's Lightning in Palumpolum as far as we knew in 2006.

Isn't it likely that almost any new FF console game announced/teased at this point will turn into a crazy overhype fest? Right now the section of the fanbase that isn't enamored with Lightning is looking for anything from SE that can mean a way out of the FF13 saga, and Agni is literally the only thing they've shown other than FF14. I'm not particularly fond of the Agni concept myself, but I can understand that it's a lifeboat since Vs13 is in limbo.

I'm not saying it's hard to understand. Just that it's such an obviously bad choice that I wish more people would cut it out.

It's already gotten to the point of annoyance. If anything people shouldn't put stock in any sort of tech demo, especially one that's just a glorified cutscene that won't be representative of gameplay at all.

Pretty much.

The only thing I'm attached to in Agni's Philosophy is Agni's actual design. It's a nice representation of what I thought a Red Mage looked like when I was younger, and nice blend of the series past and present aesthetics (medieval fantasy like clothing + J-pop hair style). Really hoping she'll reappear next gen.

I agree that the costume she's wearing is neat, but otherwise she looked pretty much like a hi-def Xion to me. The old man was kinda interesting, I suppose.

That's pretty much the 7 years of development in a nutshell.

Oh right.

But the only reason why it has taken over as you put it is because simply they didn't release any other AAA FF game. That's a problem of the development practises and not a problem of Square's obession with sci-fi or not willing to create a different setting. Your solution won't solve anything because, given Square's current situation. For all we now FFXV is in development by a small team and is medieval in its setting. For all we know it was meant to be released last year but then people got pulled to help out FFXIV. That is the crux of the problem, not everyone at Square wanting to do sci-fi only.

So nothing has taken over anything really. It's just an unfortunate turn of events. It could have just as easily ended up being that FFXII was the last mainline FF game while FFXIII would have been an online game that flopped and everyone at Square would have to try and repair it. Then we'd be getting cheap sequels of FFXII with its medieval setting. It's as simply as that.
It seems like a direction choice when you have not only the main game (XIII) but two sequels, a spin off that has nothing to do with the original XIII, a spin off that does and a PSP game that looks like it's from a similar modern day era as one of the other spin offs. That's a total of six titles this gen that all follow either a modern day or sci-fi setting.

The seventh one being a medieval setting but it's an MMO. I'm sure there is some truth to what you are saying about the production problems and I can understand that, but six titles of a single player FF of a sci-fi and modern theme only makes sense for you to wonder if this is the direction the series will take for the forseeable future.

I'm sure those of you who love it hasn't given it much thought but those of us who don't, have to wonder.

Go_Ly_Dow

Then they completely scrapped the original top view world map and made the field like FFXII

added one.

Top Bottom